• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #144 - Megastructures, Habitats and Minor Artifacts

Hello everyone!

First of all, I’d like to follow up on last week’s dev diary by sharing some more things we’re trying out with Megastructures (and habitats!).

After all of that, we also have something new to talk about!

Let’s start from the beginning – which of course leads us to the Mega-Engineering technology itself.

As always, numbers may not be final and temporary things may be sighted.

Mega-Engineering
Mega-Engineering is still a rare technology, but will now be more likely to appear as you build more Habitats and Citadels. This means it is way more likely to appear if you are performing actions in the game that would lead you towards the route of building larger and more powerful structures.

Master Builders
The Master Builders ascension perk no longer unlocks mega-engineering or adds size to habitats, but instead increases the number of megastructures you can simultaneously build by +1. What about increased habitat size you ask? Well, keep on reading!

upload_2019-4-18_11-41-43.png

Habitats & Voidborne
Habitats are no longer locked behind the Voidborne ascension perk but is rather a technology that branches off from the Star Fortress technology. Habitats now have a default of 80% habitability. We’re also experimenting with that some of the habitat’s districts will depend on which planet they are built over. In case you build one above a planet with mining deposits, this could happen:

upload_2019-4-18_12-11-1.png

upload_2019-4-18_11-42-33.png

Voidborne ascension perk now increases habitat size by +2 and increases Habitat habitability by 20%. This should mean it becomes more of a choice for specialization, rather than feeling it is a non-choice.

As a final note on habitats, it might be worthwhile to reiterate my thoughts that I eventually want to add different levels/sizes to habitats. It is however not something for the immediate future, but a little further down the road.

Ring Worlds
We didn’t quite like how Ring Worlds ended up feeling like a vast farm, so we’re making some changes. Instead of being a size 50 with regular districts, we’re changing it to a size 5 with a unique type of districts – segments. A Ring World, as you know, has 4 planets. Each planet can now build 5 segments, which are very powerful districts with many jobs and a lot of housing.

upload_2019-4-18_11-48-37.png

Minor Artifacts
upload_2019-4-18_11-46-59.png

Some of you might recognize the icon for what was supposed to become arcane technology, that partially got into 2.2. It was something that I was personally working on, but that didn’t work out as I had imagined it, and that I didn’t get enough time to finish with other things taking priority.

In the next upcoming DLC, you will be able to come across Minor Artifacts. “Minor Artifacts” is a broad term that includes any smaller and nameless artifact left behind by ancient civilizations. They are never gained passively every month, but will rather have to be found.

What are they used for, I imagine you asking? Well, the basic functionality is that they can be consumed in so-called artifact actions. There are a bunch of different actions that can be performed by consuming Minor Artifacts, with varying effects for each.

Some of these actions will be locked behind a technology, which some may also recognize.

upload_2019-4-18_11-45-27.png

Arcane Deciphering allows you to consume Minor Artifacts for a random technology-related bonus.

upload_2019-4-18_11-45-47.png

------------

That’s it for this week! Happy Easter everyone! Next week we’ll be back again :)

P.S. Attaching an Easter present

upload_2019-4-18_11-49-27.png upload_2019-4-18_11-49-45.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I love all this!

<Artifact actions>, are they going to be a new system (like edicts) with their own UI or will they fall under an existing system?

If it isn't already, I'd love this ability to allow 2 ringworld sections to be constructed simultaneously, on the same frame. The frame is already there, and the sections are equal & independent of each other.

I'm sure the same argument can be used on some other megastructures, too.
For example the Dyson sphere, where you could justify having multiple construction projects to fit panels on the same frame.

I love all this!

<Artifact actions>, are they going to be a new system (like edicts) with their own UI or will they fall under an existing system?

You will find out later during the coming weeks :)

If it isn't already, I'd love this ability to allow 2 ringworld sections to be constructed simultaneously, on the same frame. The frame is already there, and the sections are equal & independent of each other.

That is what Megastructure Build Capacity does.

i have a feeling that ringworld districts will effect sprawl more that the +2 but finally a buff to ringworlds/habitats :D
Possible, but not nessesarily. That they only count as +1 Sprawl are huge advantages of Habitat and City World Districts.
And those segments are just reskinned Districts :)

This question would've been more relevant in the sectors diary, but I have to ask: Will we be able to rearrange the order in which planets, sectors, and fleets are listed in the outliner?

@grekulf Can we expect some changes with Leaders and Factions and mechanics between them? {Right now system is pretty simple and little interesting IMHO)

Hello everyone!

First of all, I’d like to follow up on last week’s dev diary by sharing some more things we’re trying out with Megastructures (and habitats!).

After all of that, we also have something new to talk about!

Let’s start from the beginning – which of course leads us to the Mega-Engineering technology itself.

As always, numbers may not be final and temporary things may be sighted.

Mega-Engineering
Mega-Engineering is still a rare technology, but will now be more likely to appear as you build more Habitats and Citadels. This means it is way more likely to appear if you are performing actions in the game that would lead you towards the route of building larger and more powerful structures.

Master Builders
The Master Builders ascension perk no longer unlocks mega-engineering or adds size to habitats, but instead increases the number of megastructures you can simultaneously build by +1. What about increased habitat size you ask? Well, keep on reading!

Habitats & Voidborne
Habitats are no longer locked behind the Voidborne ascension perk but is rather a technology that branches off from the Star Fortress technology. Habitats now have a default of 80% habitability. We’re also experimenting with that some of the habitat’s districts will depend on which planet they are built over. In case you build one above a planet with mining deposits, this could happen:

Voidborne ascension perk now increases habitat size by +2 and increases Habitat habitability by 20%. This should mean it becomes more of a choice for specialization, rather than feeling it is a non-choice.

As a final note on habitats, it might be worthwhile to reiterate my thoughts that I eventually want to add different levels/sizes to habitats. It is however not something for the immediate future, but a little further down the road.

Ring Worlds
We didn’t quite like how Ring Worlds ended up feeling like a vast farm, so we’re making some changes. Instead of being a size 50 with regular districts, we’re changing it to a size 5 with a unique type of districts – segments. A Ring World, as you know, has 4 planets. Each planet can now build 5 segments, which are very powerful districts with many jobs and a lot of housing.

Minor Artifacts
View attachment 472364
Some of you might recognize the icon for what was supposed to become arcane technology, that partially got into 2.2. It was something that I was personally working on, but that didn’t work out as I had imagined it, and that I didn’t get enough time to finish with other things taking priority.

In the next upcoming DLC, you will be able to come across Minor Artifacts. “Minor Artifacts” is a broad term that includes any smaller and nameless artifact left behind by ancient civilizations. They are never gained passively every month, but will rather have to be found.

What are they used for, I imagine you asking? Well, the basic functionality is that they can be consumed in so-called artifact actions. There are a bunch of different actions that can be performed by consuming Minor Artifacts, with varying effects for each.

Some of these actions will be locked behind a technology, which some may also recognize.

Arcane Deciphering allows you to consume Minor Artifacts for a random technology-related bonus.

------------

That’s it for this week! Happy Easter everyone! Next week we’ll be back again :)

P.S. Attaching an Easter present

View attachment 472371 View attachment 472375

That's all great but the 20 habitability from voidborne is so neglectable... this can be gained by tech! And worthless for machine.
We need something else.
Other than that interesing stuff

Habitats and Ringworlds look good. Are those research districts on a Ringworld?

The changes to the Dyson sphere and Matter decompressor look great too so far. But in the long run, it would be nice to see added steps, and the ability to build them earlier. Don't know how mega engineering and galactic wonders would work in this case though.

Oh, and are there special buildings on habitats (and ringworlds), or is that not the case (or for a later time)?

And could Arcane technology unlock new exclusive technology? (Like Antimatter thrusters)

Some very good changes here, especially buffing the Dyson sphere and changing the Habitats and Ring Worlds. Already looking forward to the next DDs.

I love how Habitats are now available to all! I must admit I was a bit worried by the introduction of Arcane tech, but now that I know it isn't simply space magic (though I guess Psionics already exist) I am really pleased by the potential it may offer.

I already have some ideas on potential implementation of such a system with a few mods...

A lovely DD to be sure! =)

Super happy to see a bunch of these changes. A question though, will Ringworlds benefit from effects like mastery of nature giving +2 districts or will it be fixed at 5 segments?

I'm sure the same argument can be used on some other megastructures, too.
For example the Dyson sphere, where you could justify having multiple construction projects to fit panels on the same frame.

That is what Megastructure Build Capacity does.

Can you run simultaneous upgrades to a Dyson sphere as well?

Exciting! Looks like what might be some much more fleshed out super-late post-2400 techs! :D

I wonder if there's plans for ways to mass produce Consumer/Alloys on Ring Worlds and Habitats through Districts like Arcologies do?