• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone!

As promised on the stream last week, I’d write a shorter dev diary to let you know what we’re up to now. As you probably have heard, I have now taken over as the game director for Stellaris, so that Martin can go work on [REDACTED]. Check out Martin’s goodbye message on twitter if you haven’t already!

So what are we doing now then? We have updated the beta branch last week, and will update it again soon before we disappear for a brief while over the holidays. Whenever it's ready, Jamie will be making a post about it. The beta branch should include some performance improvements related to slowdowns caused by gateways and wormholes in later stages of the game.

In the beginning of the next year we will be taking more time for post-launch support by focusing on bugs, improving performance and more quality-of-life stuff. One small spoiler that I can mention is that we’re looking into improving the planet interface, and I’ll probably post some more sneak peeks about it in the beginning of next year :)

We don’t really have that much more to say right now, but I will try to be back with the next dev on the 10th or 17th of January.

Until then, have a great holiday with family, friends, and of course, the Blorg! Happy holidays!

upload_2018-12-20_14-26-17.png

Blorg celebrating the holidays. Date unknown. Photographer unknown, but most likely the blorg itself.

The decent thing to do would have been to not release a game with such issues. We're past the decent thing now. Nevertheless I'm not saying I won't wait for their fix, what option do I have? But we were just told that the team will be off till mid January, so I'm simply restating my position that in that case a substantial performance fix before Christmas should be released. To avoid being left with a problematic product for weeks and no progress on a fix.

They can only release what fixes they have.
They can't just conjure up a fix on an arbitrary date, and a partial fix could either make it worse or break the rest of the game so that it's not just slow and jerky for people, but actually fails to run entirely.

If it comes down to that, like I said I'll be going straight to steam with video evidence of the issue and hopefully plenty of other people will be joining me. If steam don't do anything I'll take the 6 week ban and raise a paypal dispute. Either way I refuse to go another two weeks without a working product.
Be careful with that.
If Steam think your paypal dispute is fraudulent they might decide to ban your account and remove access to whatever other games you've got on your account.
It's also not likely that their response to any issue is going to be massively fast over the holidays due to low(er) staff and higher volume of tickets around Christmas/New Year.

Well unless that patch makes an appearance shortly we will be experiencing another forum melt down.

After the last month or so of drama I will need to start restocking my popcorn supply.

Well unless that patch makes an appearance shortly we will be experiencing another forum melt down.

After the last month or so of drama I will need to start restocking my popcorn supply.

Nah, eventually, the passion runs out and people become apathetic and wander off to other pursuits -- which is a much worse state of affairs for the game than passion-filled forums.