• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Now that we have officially released the 2.1.1 update, we are working on making another rolling beta patch that we expect to release to you guys sometime next week. This beta, with version number 2.1.2, will continue to focus on bug fixes, QOL features and improvements to performance/stability. We expect to keep the beta going through the summer and release it as an official update sometime after the team returns from vacations.

Claims in Diplomatic Mapmode
Something that's been highly requested by the community since 2.0 came out is the ability to see the claims of other empires on the galactic map. In 2.1.2, you will be able to see the claims of any empire you have communications with by going into diplomatic mapmode and selecting that empire, allowing you to easily get an overview of what systems they are interested in. Displaying claims is a scripted setting on a mapmode that modders will be able to add to any custom mapmodes they feel would benefit from it.
2018_06_21_3.png

Creature/Fallen Empire Spawning
We're also spending some time tweaking the spawning radiuses of space creatures and fallen empires to try and ensure that they show up regularly even in densely populated galaxies. The spawning algorithm will still try to avoid boxing players in with Leviathans or hostile FEs, but hopefully there should be fewer instances of space creatures and Fallen Empires not showing up due to there being too many player empires on the map.

L-Cluster Improvements
As mentioned previously, we are still working on fleshing out the L-Cluster and adding more outcomes to it. We expect to get these improvements in at some point during the 2.1.2 rolling beta.

That's all for today! As July and vacation time is coming up, we're now going to go on a dev diary hiatus. There will likely be an update or two during this period to the 2.1.2 beta, but no regularly scheduled dev diaries. Dev diaries will return on August 9th, at which point we should be ready to start talking about what's coming next in terms of major updates and features. See you then!

I also would like to have an option to demand cancellation of claims in a peace deal to force someone to revoke current claims. Same goes for vassals , maybe as part of the Diplomacy overhaul we could get options either to claim on behalf of a vassal or to tell a vassal what he should claim.
The appropriate way to negate a vassal's claims is to integrate him.

version number 2.1.2, will continue to focus on bug fixes, QOL features and improvements to performance/stability.
Any chance that 2.1.2 will fix this?

RlpPdfI.png

It has basically killed off that game, as it has clogged my fleet limit with "ships" that aren't there, and transferring the ships to a new fleet and deleting the old ones just led to the reinforce button trying to overbuild the limits on the new fleets.

Bug report here.

Regarding fleet combat - there's no actual combat stances for fleets - although ship computers have helped and admiral traits too, what about this---

Normal Combat Stance - THE SAME

Aggresive Combat Stance -
*Deal more DPS, take more DPS
*Get it over with faster if you're in a rush tactically -
*Reckless way to really KILL a fleet that you want dead at all costs!

Defensive Combat Stance -
*Take less DPS and deal less DPS
*Gives you more time for that Emergency FTL jump away
*Draw out the battle to wait for other fleets to arrive - like when your second fleet or fed ally hasn't jumped in yet, then change back to NORMAL or AGGRESSIVE stance -
*Also good for taking on a bigger fleet, retreat to a starbase, set to defensive stance, let the starbase wear them down, try not to lose half your ships while the starbase still has 10 k HP left..

Very simple, easy to add and maybe useful, could even be changed during battles? Thoughts?

One thing I've noticed in a game I played, despite it being in a huge 1000-stars galaxy, is that neutronium is too rare. It didn't spawn at all in that game, meaning that to unlock the Neutronium Armor (you need to find neutronium to get the neutronium mining tech, that is required for Armor 5), the only solutions to get this armor were waiting for the endgame crisis to happen or fight a fallen empire.

Not sure what your talking about, I get it without finding neutronium all the time. Though on the subject of nonexistent resources, can you also make Zro more common? I played on a huge galaxy as a Psionic race, and constantly looked for Zro so I could cut shroud costs... but the entire galaxy got explored and no one found any Zro ever. 1,000 systems, with hundreds if not thousands of planets, and not one of them had Zro. I know it's supposed to be rare but there's a difference between rare and nonexistent.

Regarding fleet combat - there's no actual combat stances for fleets - although ship computers have helped and admiral traits too, what about this---

Normal Combat Stance - THE SAME

Aggresive Combat Stance -
*Deal more DPS, take more DPS
*Get it over with faster if you're in a rush tactically -
*Reckless way to really KILL a fleet that you want dead at all costs!

Defensive Combat Stance -
*Take less DPS and deal less DPS
*Gives you more time for that Emergency FTL jump away
*Draw out the battle to wait for other fleets to arrive - like when your second fleet or fed ally hasn't jumped in yet, then change back to NORMAL or AGGRESSIVE stance -
*Also good for taking on a bigger fleet, retreat to a starbase, set to defensive stance, let the starbase wear them down, try not to lose half your ships while the starbase still has 10 k HP left..

Very simple, easy to add and maybe useful, could even be changed during battles? Thoughts?
Too arcade-ish.

I welcome the change to the map generation. At the moment I look with observe at every start if fallen empires spawned. 1/4 of my games don't have a fallen empire at all, 1/2 only 1-2 instead 4-5.

It would be nice if there would be an interface too about the total % of each ethic in the galaxy (% of population that embrace materialist, pacifist, ect...) it would be nice to see and forecast which end-game crisis will come out i suppose.

If we're offering suggestions in this thread... is there any possible hope of getting the Generation Ship anomaly reduced heavily in chance? It seems like it pops up every single game I play within the first 20 years and it's really too OP for this, since getting the "best" end to it is a huge advantage early on.

If we're offering suggestions in this thread... is there any possible hope of getting the Generation Ship anomaly reduced heavily in chance? It seems like it pops up every single game I play within the first 20 years and it's really too OP for this, since getting the "best" end to it is a huge advantage early on.
If you find that you have too many advantages and the game become too easy, play on a higher difficulty!
It's an easy and immediately applicable solution that doesn't take the dev's time away from making new content.

If you find that you have too many advantages and the game become too easy, play on a higher difficulty!
It's an easy and immediately applicable solution that doesn't take the dev's time away from making new content.
Well, it's also rather boring to know that I'm essentially guaranteed the same size 25 gaia world every time. I guess I could try to intentionally fail the event chain, but... meh.

Well, it's also rather boring to know that I'm essentially guaranteed the same size 25 gaia world every time. I guess I could try to intentionally fail the event chain, but... meh.
It's not boring when Advanced Start Fanatical Purifiers have already taken all your worlds but one, and they're approaching that one right now, and you really need a big new home.
So, up your sliders until you're in that situation, and: the problem has become a solution!

Creature/Fallen Empire Spawning
We're also spending some time tweaking the spawning radiuses of space creatures and fallen empires to try and ensure that they show up regularly even in densely populated galaxies. The spawning algorithm will still try to avoid boxing players in with Leviathans or hostile FEs, but hopefully there should be fewer instances of space creatures and Fallen Empires not showing up due to there being too many player empires on the map.

"Densely Populated?" I can only reliably get 3 out of 5 FEs to spawn on a 1000 star 18 player 3 Marauder map. Is that densely populated?

From looking at galaxy maps in observe mode, it seems that enclaves and primitives are at the center of the empty voids. Dropping primitives from 1.25 to 1.0 to .75 noticeably improved AI empire distribution, but did not reult in more FEs spawning.

I can see a problem if FEs spawn even if there isnt space, and thats the player being bracketed by them and basically unable to expand.

I can also foresee people complaining about the lack of normal empires if the FEs replace them.

I tend to dial FEs back, so I'm unlikely to notice, but some people seem to really like having all their custom empires appear every game.

Any news on adding an observer mode to Stellaris multiplayer so we can see the first Stellaris dev clash? Been stoked about it ever since you mentioned you were trying to do that.

August 9? Crap

Don't complain about it taking time. Look at CK2 and HOI4 and how bugged those games are at the moment because of buggy rush jobs. I for one am always happy to wait for content so that it has as few bugs as possible. I wish ALL companies would do so with ALL titles.

"Anything worth doing at all, is worth taking the time to do right." -Lindsey Lewis

This is a story about a man called Duccell..

We were a proud empire, the Exii, with our intelligent and capable Exii, and the willing hard working bullmen, we had expanded into the galaxy and landed on distant strange worlds.. One day, we found an ocean world and upon it, a species of squid creatures which showing a certain intelligence.. So we altered, we.. improved them.. it was a sparkling success...
These squidmen would receive immediate and full citizenship, (despite our hardworking bullmen who needed no such thing) and the squidmen would offer a squidman called Duccell to lead, one who fancied himself a governer of the Exii Empire.

A great man we had sculped into him, oh yes... he came with a certain prowess of slave ruling, an ' iron fist', as we had shown him the importance of ruling harshly over the bullmen, impressed with his quality of character as a gentleman and a scholar, we sent him to a remote sector populated only with slave miners to rule entirely over them.

After five years isolated with the bullmen, a new faction was formed, it was the slave liberation organization, and the leader was none other than our well conditioned uplift... Duccell..
The squidfaced leader ralled many slave pops and even some Exii to his cause, his misguided ideas were becoming a problem... But them suddenly at the tragic age of 68 he died suddenly..

No one knows what caused the death of the former glorious leader and misled soul who was Duccell, but the polonium detected in his bloodstream led to wide scale safety changes on the frontier colonies and with far stricter safety controls in the mining sector, his family and the bullmen slaves who were his minions, are now in more protected and secure conditions than ever before..

Long live the Exii.. Long live our virtuous Emperor.