• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Now that we have officially released the 2.1.1 update, we are working on making another rolling beta patch that we expect to release to you guys sometime next week. This beta, with version number 2.1.2, will continue to focus on bug fixes, QOL features and improvements to performance/stability. We expect to keep the beta going through the summer and release it as an official update sometime after the team returns from vacations.

Claims in Diplomatic Mapmode
Something that's been highly requested by the community since 2.0 came out is the ability to see the claims of other empires on the galactic map. In 2.1.2, you will be able to see the claims of any empire you have communications with by going into diplomatic mapmode and selecting that empire, allowing you to easily get an overview of what systems they are interested in. Displaying claims is a scripted setting on a mapmode that modders will be able to add to any custom mapmodes they feel would benefit from it.
2018_06_21_3.png

Creature/Fallen Empire Spawning
We're also spending some time tweaking the spawning radiuses of space creatures and fallen empires to try and ensure that they show up regularly even in densely populated galaxies. The spawning algorithm will still try to avoid boxing players in with Leviathans or hostile FEs, but hopefully there should be fewer instances of space creatures and Fallen Empires not showing up due to there being too many player empires on the map.

L-Cluster Improvements
As mentioned previously, we are still working on fleshing out the L-Cluster and adding more outcomes to it. We expect to get these improvements in at some point during the 2.1.2 rolling beta.

That's all for today! As July and vacation time is coming up, we're now going to go on a dev diary hiatus. There will likely be an update or two during this period to the 2.1.2 beta, but no regularly scheduled dev diaries. Dev diaries will return on August 9th, at which point we should be ready to start talking about what's coming next in terms of major updates and features. See you then!

I would love to see some sort of option or improvment to the blobb of ships (visually) in the late-game, adding more space between ships via mod is an easy task, but prevents achivements, maybe a dev can have mercy and take this 5 minutes to improve on this, since the game DOES HAVE nice visuals that ge ruined be moving undefined blobbs.

yes, i tend to watch battles in slow-down :)

Also some ui fixed would be much appriciated, like, overlapping numbers/symbols in the top-bar in the late-game, usually i fix that myself, but this is also not a big deal that costs a dev some 10th minutes, since they exists THAT long, its time for some fixing-time here too.

Have a nice holiday!

Is Engos Vapor being unavailable to basic Machine Empires and DE intentional or an oversight? Everyone else, including DA/RS can get it. Will this be changed one way or another in the next patch?

Are there plans to change the cost from research so that instead of increasing it with the amount of systems/planets you have rather the gain from new systems/planets gets reduced (so basically the more resources you can spend on research the faster it will become and not slow down if you just conquered a lot of planets/systems that dont give you much or maybe even any research)?

@Ezumiyr OK, I am childish with this but I am not rude or anything, I can't say that I think I am more important than others I am only persistent in wanting to hear some answer. If you look up just my previous posts when I asked about this, those posts got "upvoted" by about 25 people + there are quite a few topics focused at problems with federation fleets where tons of people upvoted them and commented there, agreeing that this is a problem, so I am not really the only one who would like to hear some news about this. And because I can see that there are many players who perceive it as a problem, I went for this approach of repeating my question (still just politely asking once per topic, not spamming the same post multiple times in the topic) and hoping for some answer in time. I have more posts, bug reports, ideas etc. here and I never tried to pry any reaction from devs on any of these.

How exactly am I exaggerating the problem? I've never said that joining federation is impossible or that Federations are unplayable, I only said that federation fleet is one of the main features of federations and it is broken. When you play with real players, I guess things are OK. When you play with AI then you are usually the only one who builds federation ships, if AI builds some then it is usually just some small fleet of about 10 corvets/destroyers. Once you build the ships for federation fleet and the presidency is passed on some other member, AI retrofits the ships so some silly ass design, usually tons of PD...great choice when our opponent uses mostly plasma and phasers. So ton of my resources if wasted because the ships are retrofitted into something with way less potential not to mention that AI often let's the fleet die in really stupid way. So it is not like "federation memebers use ship designs I don't like", it's more like building federation fleet is a sinkhole for minerals which value is degraded by AI retrofits and you have no way to stop it or at least retrofit them back. This in turn means that the part of your fleet capacity which you contribute to the federation is wasted too. And that in turn leads to a question - why bother with federations at all? It is not like the federation memebers can save you in some war - most often you end up saving them and for this you are better off if you stay in a defensive pact and use the full size of your federation fleet.

Maybe I am missing some more important factor or function of federation but it seems to me that Federation fleet is the only reason to form/join a federation in singleplayer.

And yes, I know that not answering a question does not meant they don't work on it, though you say "so it's likely going to be addressed in a Federation onverhaul" probably...what if it isn't? I am not asking for any elaborate wall-of-text type of answer, if they just said "It's planned for later update" or "We know about it and we're working on it" that is all I'm looking for and they won't hear me mention it again (well, maybe once more in some "thank you" post once it is mentioned in some changelog or released, but that's it).

I am sorry for asking the same question for the 5th time and thus being annoying with this, but are there any news on the Federation fleet problems? The problems have been reported so I will not repeate it all, just link it here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...f368-federation-fleets.1090696/#post-24210118
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...designer-at-some-point.1096794/#post-24215107
The whole fleet capacity that is taken from you when you join a federation is pretty much a trap now because the Federation fleet is sort of a useless in singleplayer games (maybe except for when you use it as a cannon-fodder) because the AI keeps upgrading them to "auto-best" designs which are usually "as much PD as possible" but even if the AI started to make better designs, there is no way for players to retrofit the ships back.

This problem came with Cherryh update, we're post-Cherryh, now even post-Niven and we're moving into QoL stuff and I think this qualifies here. I've asked about this @Wiz three times and @Jamor once too. When you see that people ask about something before you and after you, both getting answer and you being ignored, you start getting a feeling that the entire problem is intentionally being ignored. Even as little as "We're working on it" or "It's on our to-do list" would be better than this ignoring attitude.

Thank you so much for updating the game and also for any news about this.

My bigger problem is that they seem to ignore basic game rules like command limit. They are the doomstacks returned from pre 2.0, I was going for full military (FP playtrough) had about 50k strong fleets with max command limit and the enemy federation jsut shows up with a 150k fleet out of the blue. I don't mind them, just let them be affected by command limit.

Are you aware of mp lobby bug( every game is shown starting) you gave us in last patch? How is this unnoticed? Do you even try playing this game from time to time?

Hey Wiz, I got a question about Stellaris moving forward. At PDXcon, in your After the Apocalypse talk, you mentioned a desire to remove the tile system entirely, and replace it with something else (and then gave us a hot code screen shot with no context or explanation because you love teasing us). In the event that this actually happens at some point in the future, which I'm sure you will neither confirm nor deny, would we still be able to move individual pops to specific types of labor assignments? I ask because if that's not the case then it will make managing uppity factions as authoritans much more difficult than the simple method of "enslave all the offending pops by shuffling them around and watch the faction disappear because slaves can't be in factions." Of course since you probably can't answer this it's just a hypothetical question, but if you could give a hypothetical answer I would hypothetically appreciate it. Anyways, that's enough of a wall of text, so have a happy summer and tell all the guys at Paradox I wish them the same. See you in August!

This is a complex but not very bad issue (basically, the problem is that Federation members use ship templates you don't like, that's all), so it's likely going to be addressed in a Federation onverhaul.

Besides exaggerating the problem, you should probably not act like if you were more important than all the other players who also have opinions about what doesn't work well in this game. The devs aren't going to answer to each individual person. This doesn't mean they aren't working on it. And imagine if everyone was like you, persecuting the devs until they need to say something for every little problem they have... I hope you understand that while you are clearly well-intentioned, this is a somewhat childish attitude.
Bringing up issues and reminding them isn't "persecuting them". If people were to stop bringing them up and stop reminding the Devs they exist a great many of them wouldn't have gotten fixed because the Devs in some cases were genuinely unaware of the consequences of certain changes and problems they had unintentionally introduced. There's a bunch of examples where people doggedly keeping at this ended up contributing to them being fixed.

It's one of the reasons why Machine Empires for example have T3 computers again and why they get a 10% production tech. In the greater picture it's easy for things to fall by the way side whether this happens intentionally or not.

Im only playing Devouring Swarm or Determined Exterminators at the moment so i missed the thing about Curators and L-Gate Insights. Will there be a compensating mechanic for "us"? My actual game is 100 years in and i got only 2 opportunities through research from which i had to skip one because it takes way too long (especially in the beginning where other research options are way more valuable)

Would it be possible to implement a Federation map mode? My current game has 4 federations in the bottom half of the galaxy. One of the federations is green with green borders, and is surrounded by two independents which are green with green borders. Not only that, but a completely enemy federation (blue guys)in the area has an associate who is green as well! Its made it really difficult to see and make sense of due to all the borders.

What I mean is a map mode which merges borders (so federations look like one big empire) and the federation name shows up like an empire name.

It feels like this should be how the political unions map mode _should_ function, but it does not. Is this something that could be modded into the game as a custom map mode, at the least?

Also here to try to get some attention to bugs that really needs fixing.
Auxiliary fire control doesnt work and never has afaik since they are not coded right.
Citadel level stations dont have a FTL inhibitor, once you upgrade the station to Citadel they lose it which is 'perfect' since most of the stations you upgrade to Citadels are defense stations and you really want the enemy to have to attack them instead of just flying past.

I imagine both of these issues would only take a few minutes to fix, Auxiliary fire control is just a few letters that need to be changed and I guess adding FTL inhibitors to Citadels is equally easy and fast if you know where they get their templates from.

In support of Botji^. The difference between the below pics shows the ftl inhibitor losing effectiveness when being upgraded to citadel. Although I'd suggest this is a bug and perhaps not as simple as just adding the ftl to citadels.

Notice the magnet disappear when the upgrade happens? A month or two after this an enemy empire fleet passes through the system ignoring the station and wrecking havoc. The module still appears on the citadel card but it is ineffective. Game breaking.

View attachment 381900 View attachment 381901

QOL? Will y'all give back World Shapers to Rogue Servitors and Driven Assimilators, like you said you would after the last beta (and forgot to do when making it a live version)?
How about fixing Cloud Lightning and making Living Metal tech show up in the tech research options?

One thing I've noticed in a game I played, despite it being in a huge 1000-stars galaxy, is that neutronium is too rare. It didn't spawn at all in that game, meaning that to unlock the Neutronium Armor (you need to find neutronium to get the neutronium mining tech, that is required for Armor 5), the only solutions to get this armor were waiting for the endgame crisis to happen or fight a fallen empire.

Another suggestion I have (most useful when you reach the L-Cluster first). Having the option, in the strategic resource tab, not to have some resources available for trade. If I don't want to sell the gray cristals and their +10% firepower for all guns because I want to keep a monopoly on it, getting spammed by trade offers is quite annoying. I'd like the option ot ticking which resource is "strategically critical" to my empire so that I do not trade it away with anyone unless manually offering a deal.

I've also noticed a very annoying bug starting with 2.1.0. Sometimes enemy fleets are no longer engaged by my fleets, but keep shooting at my fleets, meaning they can destroy my fleets in impunity if I'm not careful. Reloading the game fixes that.

It usually happens when the enemy fleet is attacking one of my stations, and my fleet attack them while in the middle of the fight. Sometimes after beating the station or after making an emergency retreat, the enemy fleet is no longer engaged by my fleet.

I didn't manage to get that effect on my fleet so I ignore the exact process

Creature/Fallen Empire Spawning
We're also spending some time tweaking the spawning radiuses of space creatures and fallen empires to try and ensure that they show up regularly even in densely populated galaxies. The spawning algorithm will still try to avoid boxing players in with Leviathans or hostile FEs, but hopefully there should be fewer instances of space creatures and Fallen Empires not showing up due to there being too many player empires on the map.

Being boxed in is fun sometimes though! Maybe a slider for Leviathan spawn amounts, and with it slid all the way over to 100% it re-enables the ability to be boxed in?