• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. As mentioned in Dev Diary #116, we're currently in an extended post-launch support period, and so there won't be any feature dev diaries coming for a while. Just as last week, today's dev diary will be another quick update about a couple of the issues we're currently aware of and working on for the 2.1.1 rolling beta. This is just a select few items, not a comprehensive list of everything we're working on!

Performance
First, I just wanted to give a quick update about performance. We rolled out a number of fixes and performance improvements in the last update to beta, and so far we've gotten a lot of good feedback, with most users reporting the performance problems introduced in 2.1 seem to have been resolved for them. We're still going to continue looking at performance and what we can do about improving it in general, but if you are experiencing performance issues in 2.1 we strongly recommend opting into the 2.1.1 beta, and letting us know through the tech support forum if it doesn't solve your issues. We're going to try to bring these fixes to the live (non-beta) version as soon as we feel it has been tested enough, so expect to see 2.1.1 become the live version in the relatively near future, with the rolling beta switching to 2.1.2 instead.

Faction Renaming
An often requested feature has been the ability to rename the factions in your empire. As of the next version of the rolling beta, you will be able to do so by clicking the name of a selected faction in the faction view. Just as with renaming leaders, this has no actual gameplay effect and is strictly for roleplaying/player agency purposes.
2018_06_07_2.png

Improved No-GUI
Another thing that came up recently was how cumbersome it is to go into the gui tweaker and hide the planet orbital lines and system navigation arrows when trying to take extra-pretty screenshots using the Ctrl-F9 no-gui mode. As there's really no good reason for these elements to show up in no-gui mode, they will now also be hidden whenever no-gui is active.
2018_06_07_1.png

That's all for today! Join us again next week for yet more post-release support (seeing a pattern yet?).

@Wiz
I am once again sorry if I am being annoying with this, but are there any news on the Federation fleet problems? The problems have been reported so I will not repeate it all, just link it here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...f368-federation-fleets.1090696/#post-24210118
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...designer-at-some-point.1096794/#post-24215107
The whole fleet capacity that is taken from you when you join a federation is pretty much a trap now because the Federation fleet is sort of a useless in singleplayer games (maybe except for when you use it as a cannon-fodder) because the AI keeps upgrading them to "auto-best" designs which are usually "as much PD as possible" but even if the AI started to make better designs, there is no way for players to retrofit the ships back.

I know this topic is about Niven Post-Launch support, but this problem came with Cherryh and wasn't addressed in Cherryh-post-launch support and has been present ever since.

Thank you so much for updating the game and also for any news about this.

Machine uprisings struggle to succeed, often they will run out of energy and/or minerals shortly after uprising and they default to harvesting organics too much when they could be working those tiles instead. Will this be looked at soon?

Thanks for the updates! Glad to see performance fixes =D

I also notice that the Machine Uprising never actually gets a fleet unless they were scrapping it instantly before I could check?

Being able to rename factions are nice, but it would be even nicer if we could name all the factions at the custom empire creation screen. At least then I wouldn't have to keep on renaming the factions all the time.

Would really appreciate a method of muting some of the notifications that pop up for other empires like you can do by shift-right clicking some specific ones like unemployed pops, sick of getting spammed with notifications when species on the other side of the galaxy form a migration treaty or non aggression pact.

Being able to rename factions are nice, but it would be even nicer if we could name all the factions at the custom empire creation screen. At least then I wouldn't have to keep on renaming the factions all the time.

Maybe there are too many of them.

Cheers for the DD Wiz :D Very much appreciate the attention given to performance. My only comment would be where you say:

so there won't be any feature dev diaries coming for a while

...and then show two new features :p. Note this is not a complaint :D.

Out of curiosity, why wasn't the dev diary put on the main page? What's the rule for when some diaries are put on the front page and some aren't?

Improved No-GUI
Another thing that came up recently was how cumbersome it is to go into the gui tweaker and hide the planet orbital lines and system navigation arrows when trying to take extra-pretty screenshots using the Ctrl-F9 no-gui mode. As there's really no good reason for these elements to show up in no-gui mode, they will now also be hidden whenever no-gui is active.

Aww, yiss! Worth opting in for this alone.

Improved No-GUI
Fantastich, I give it six Respectfully Agrees

I don't know what you guys did, but when 2.0 came out the performance on all maps especially huge was great ( at least better than it was), very noticeable early game and late, now even with these slight fixes ever since 2.1 ( and 2.1.1 ) the game is slower, to me it's just too slow right now, I'm on large and in the year 2308 it's lagging like 2650 on huge on my previous games pre-2.1 ( and 2.1.1 ). Even with lesser settings ( less habitable etc. ) it's too bad really, it's the same with all galaxy size/settings it seems like the game is just ticking at a much slower interval right now.

This is without distant stars and I don't have apocalypse and NEVER installed any mods, so no L-gate opening or all that, if it ever gets fixed in the future I'll come back, but I honestly doubt it because these kind of things don't get much attention if the majority isn't complaining.

Oh and the music has been extremely low since the last update, I found some threads about the same thing but most people didn't even notice it I reckon.

Hi guys, veteran 4X gamer here - bout 300 hrs in Stellaris + 4player Local Coop nights at my house all the time - wanna give feedback but sorry if this is the wrong place.

A) Admiral nemesis status - when the same admirals fight each other more than twice DURING a war, they could have a popup window come up that says that they have a particular attachment to finishing off an enemy admiral - this would be based on fleets disengaging, twice in a war. The modifier could reduce the combat disengagement chance for BOTH generals of BOTH fleets by 25%, disengagement is cool - but I'm chasing down dudes like 5-7 times with the same navy..

Sometimes add permanent psychological injuries to admirals that have been almost killed in combat (same with generals) a status effect similar to 'substance abuser' i.e. PTSD - gains fire rate, reduced chance to disengage.. etc.. etc.. Generals could have - the permanent status - Disgraced - -10% army morale on attack.. Make leaders stories more compelling and emotionally engaging without making the modifiers too significant...

B) Ship traffic graphics - starbases could use figher jet graphics - slowed animation rate - to have passive traffic on starports that just fly around it and park on docks, etc.. , you could have more traffic with bigger bases, makes the bases look alive coz at the moment that look cool, but too quiet..

C) Giving missions to neighbours diplomacy - exactly like Sins of a Solar Empire implemented it. Not just using marauders to kill each other - but being able to do things like pay your neighbour 500 minerals if he expands into a certain system (using neighbours to block access routes of enemies, or paying them to attack their neighbour.

D) Sabotage in the dropdown menu .. Be able to pay resources to sabotage science, blow up buildings, or destroy enemy ships while at peace.. There would be a cost to do it, the more you pay the less chance of being caught, when you f*ck up there's a pop up telling that empire who was doing it (damages relations - casus belli maybe?).

E) Infestation attacks - special armies you can build that are devastating in combat, but if they win (thinking xenomorphs here) they gradually infest the whole planet (think of them inhabiting not just the army slot, but the tiles too) and it becomes very difficult to reclaim the planet with armies - without bombing the crap out of it, or landing 30 armies to clean up the infestation. Think about infesting planets on your enemies border during a war you cant win, but then he cant get back on his own planet because its covered in xenos. Whole regions of the game could be infested permanently, or even start that way with infestation species that live on planets by default.

F) Cloaking systems for ships - ships equipped with the tech become invisible by default when an enemy ship is about to enter the same gravity well as them.. You get to fire for the first 5 seconds without return fire, then uncloak by default - this would take up a slot, so its a trade off with armour or afterburners or something. It also means you could cloak fleets to move around undetected behind enemy lines - until they have tacyon sensors of course - a la TNG - romulans. Cloaking could be AWESOME in stellaris!

G) Replace the little round white symbol for ground armies with portrait of species graphics instead ((as used by the rest of the game - but a still version)). This makes armies look way better than round white symbols and the portraits could fill with red when they are dying. More engaging sense that 2 or 3 species are running into combat together.

H) Joint projects! Situation log quests that spawn anomalies in adjacent empires and require that a science ship from both races attend and research a project. Results in increased Opinion and Trust - gives plenty research points. Also joint construction - that require construction ships from both empires to build something together- a buildable gateway makes sense - requires two empires to make an gateway together, this way you can have that permanent connecting route between you and your federation ally or coop mate. Thirdly, joint quest strings, adjacent empires have to study a series of anomalies, and apon completion of each task, a pop up is automatically generated that tells the other empire that another part of the project is complete.. Good outcomes for both parties on completion. These could be good mid game fillers!

I) Influencing other empires, pop up windows that ask your empire to interfere with external politics that are detected by the game programming (i.e. unrest on a planet on the enemy border, game gives you a chance to spend influence to denigrate their government for slavery, increasing ethics shift chance.

J) Travelling merchant barges - Titan sized civilian trader ships that move through space and park in your systems for a few hours at a time before moving on, they are neutral and appear with an empire symbol on them (like an empire planet does so you can click on it) This trader is the single and only rep of their species from another galaxy or whatever, and for big money you can instabuy for example - UV laser research (equiv of buying the weapons from them) for a big price, NOT LIKE A CURATOR, you would be buying technology designs off them for instant research! Maybe you could buy units of; infestation armies from them - maybe nanobot armies or bacterial plagues that kill whole planets or savage beast armies from them (any of these could spawn as a army transport ship that are otherwise impossible to acquire) You'd be super exited to see a Barge coming and be checking your wallet.

That's probably enough for now! So sorry if this is not what you want here!

A) Admiral nemesis status - when the same admirals fight each other more than twice DURING a war, they could have a popup window come up that says that they have a particular attachment to finishing off an enemy admiral - this would be based on fleets disengaging, twice in a war. The modifier could reduce the combat disengagement chance for BOTH generals of BOTH fleets by 25%, disengagement is cool - but I'm chasing down dudes like 5-7 times with the same navy.
1) 25% is next to nothing, and
2) No Retreat war policy is unlockable for a reason. You don't wanna disengage, fine, but if your opponent wants to engage in guerilla tactics that's his perogative. Want it to stop, chase his fleet back to their homebase and camp the respawn.

Sometimes add permanent psychological injuries to admirals that have been almost killed in combat (same with generals) a status effect similar to 'substance abuser' i.e. PTSD - gains fire rate, reduced chance to disengage.. etc.. etc.. Generals could have - the permanent status - Disgraced - -10% army morale on attack.. Make leaders stories more compelling and emotionally engaging without making the modifiers too significant...
1) If the modifiers aren't significant, they're going to become what they already are - totally ignorable.
2) This literally already happens. Lethargic, paranoid, etc.

B) Ship traffic graphics - starbases could use figher jet graphics - slowed animation rate - to have passive traffic on starports that just fly around it and park on docks, etc.. , you could have more traffic with bigger bases, makes the bases look alive coz at the moment that look cool, but too quiet..
Stellaris already has performance issues like a 114-year-old diabetic, you really don't want to be adding more renders.

C) Giving missions to neighbours diplomacy - exactly like Sins of a Solar Empire implemented it. Not just using marauders to kill each other - but being able to do things like pay your neighbour 500 minerals if he expands into a certain system (using neighbours to block access routes of enemies, or paying them to attack their neighbour.
1) Can we get missions for ourselves before we get missions for neighbours? There's already nothign to do in the game.
2) I can't see this mechanic being remotely useful in even 1% of games.

D) Sabotage in the dropdown menu .. Be able to pay resources to sabotage science, blow up buildings, or destroy enemy ships while at peace.. There would be a cost to do it, the more you pay the less chance of being caught, when you f*ck up there's a pop up telling that empire who was doing it (damages relations - casus belli maybe?).
1) All of science, single buildings, and single ships are basically irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. We certainly need diplomatic espionage to be able to break up enemy defensive pacts and federations and encourage rebellions, but as to your suggestions, no.
2) We're swimming in causus belli already, it's not like declaring war on someone else is hard so it's not like granting your foe another CB is bad.

E) Infestation attacks - special armies you can build that are devastating in combat, but if they win (thinking xenomorphs here) they gradually infest the whole planet (think of them inhabiting not just the army slot, but the tiles too) and it becomes very difficult to reclaim the planet with armies - without bombing the crap out of it, or landing 30 armies to clean up the infestation. Think about infesting planets on your enemies border during a war you cant win, but then he cant get back on his own planet because its covered in xenos. Whole regions of the game could be infested permanently, or even start that way with infestation species that live on planets by default.
As with your missions idea, I don't see this ever being useful when you can always just build another 40 assault armies and human wave any opponents' defences.
Also, isn't this idetical to the Prethoryn Scourge? (Although if you only have 300 hours you've probably never seen those...)

F) Cloaking systems for ships - ships equipped with the tech become invisible by default when an enemy ship is about to enter the same gravity well as them.. You get to fire for the first 5 seconds without return fire, then uncloak by default - this would take up a slot, so its a trade off with armour or afterburners or something. It also means you could cloak fleets to move around undetected behind enemy lines - until they have tacyon sensors of course - a la TNG - romulans. Cloaking could be AWESOME in stellaris!
1) 5 seconds is next to nothing
2) It's taken 2 years to make static defences not a complete joke (they're still mostly a complete joke, but at least they're not Literally Useless), so you'll forgive me for not being particularly well-disposed towards a mechanic that relegates them back to being Literally Useless.

G) Replace the little round white symbol for ground armies with portrait of species graphics instead ((as used by the rest of the game - but a still version)). This makes armies look way better than round white symbols and the portraits could fill with red when they are dying. More engaging sense that 2 or 3 species are running into combat together.
I am opposed to making armies cosmetically different before making them mechanically different.

H) Joint projects! Situation log quests that spawn anomalies in adjacent empires and require that a science ship from both races attend and research a project. Results in increased Opinion and Trust - gives plenty research points. Also joint construction - that require construction ships from both empires to build something together- a buildable gateway makes sense - requires two empires to make an gateway together, this way you can have that permanent connecting route between you and your federation ally or coop mate. Thirdly, joint quest strings, adjacent empires have to study a series of anomalies, and apon completion of each task, a pop up is automatically generated that tells the other empire that another part of the project is complete.. Good outcomes for both parties on completion. These could be good mid game fillers!
The AI can't even form its fleets up with yours when you're facing Killer Invaders From The 5th Dimension, I have no faith that it can co-ordinate construction ship movements.

I) Influencing other empires, pop up windows that ask your empire to interfere with external politics that are detected by the game programming (i.e. unrest on a planet on the enemy border, game gives you a chance to spend influence to denigrate their government for slavery, increasing ethics shift chance.
If ethics shift actually did anything, sure.
But it doesn't, so no.

J) Travelling merchant barges - Titan sized civilian trader ships that move through space and park in your systems for a few hours at a time before moving on, they are neutral and appear with an empire symbol on them (like an empire planet does so you can click on it) This trader is the single and only rep of their species from another galaxy or whatever, and for big money you can instabuy for example - UV laser research (equiv of buying the weapons from them) for a big price, NOT LIKE A CURATOR, you would be buying technology designs off them for instant research! Maybe you could buy units of; infestation armies from them - maybe nanobot armies or bacterial plagues that kill whole planets or savage beast armies from them (any of these could spawn as a army transport ship that are otherwise impossible to acquire) You'd be super exited to see a Barge coming and be checking your wallet.
Science is already a spectacularly inferior investment to energy and minerals, and you want to make doing your own research even MORE useless?
No thanks.

Hey Oscot - sorry for not putting in more time, I thought my general ideas would be looked at more creatively (brainstorming), not critically! You've got me wrong a fair bit.

1. All leaders could use some more personality! It flavours the game, gives it role playing energy. Not for you, but lots of people role play their species and motivations in Stellaris (what kind of empire do I want to be) - its not just math for many players. Reduced combat disengagment stacking from repeated encounters would help resolve the endless chasedowns - it's good to have it but it gets out of control sometimes. (whatever about the percent- I was random number generating.

2. Were you actually thinking about the number of polygons related to adding a few worker ships on starbases? There are SO many polys rendering in Stellaris. I'm taking about adding maybe 5 ships to starbases, wouldn't affect anything (50 polys to big bases maybe) . Fleets have god knows how many - this criticism is meaningless.

3. How do you think missions between empires is a waste of time and wouldn't work? Go play Sins of a Solar Empire (Stellaris is basically Sins of a Solar Empire 2) They are awesome and create complexity and tension and are a major game mechanic to push your neighbours into hatred or alliance with you or others - don't write this idea off til you've seen it.

4. My example of sabotage was casual (geez dude) - sabotage would need to be useful and effective yes, and blowing up one ship a waste of time yes, why the negative outlook constantly? Maybe you could sabotage research, or energy production, blow up TWO ships... :p

5. Again, you have a crazy focus on numbers - whatever - an infestation army could be worth 50 armies? Happy now? The idea being that players get control of rare, and varied infestations similar to praethorian swarm. No not the same, player controlled and useful to tactical alter the landscape. In a war you can;t win it could be a last result, swarm the planets on your shared border so he can't have them back! BITTERNESS! BITTER!

6. I'd have to agree with you on your criticism on cloaking. I don't want WHOLE fleets that cloak, and again (5 seconds was a random number - chill out dude). But it would be cool to harass or sneak around with small numbers of cloaked units. It's not a bad idea to have cloaking - period - cloaking is f-ing cool.
It's one of the biggest scifi tropes that has not been integrated into this game yet and should be in someway that works within the mechanics (again I was trying to brainstorm not looking for a scalpel.)

7. Why this irrational criticism about better army unit portraits? . I could easily criticise EVERY idea ever posted, by saying "I'm opposed to any new content until the game is mechanically sound". (this would literally take an afternoon for the devs to implement and armies look far less boring and ugly. FYI - I'd also like to see armies mechanically more interesting but they are trying to make armies less... crap.... So lets hope.

8. You complain there's nothing to do in the game but then I suggest big joint projects with neighbours and you compare to fleet management? Irrational negging again. 1 minute update checks to the AI to detect if the human player is working on the joint project, then priority sending one of their construction ships over - has zero to do with fleet AI management. Completely different scripts.

9. Regarding my idea of border empire planet unrest, and leveraging it - my idea was not good - you're right, how about a chance to help a planet break off within an enemy empire and instead become independent? You could tear apart a neighbouring empire this way, creating 3 or 4 splinters that you could guarantee independence of. See, now we're being friendly and brainstorming! Like nice people. I actually hadn't thought of your idea of breaking up alliances - that is a great idea.

10. My idea for Trader Barges needed more explanation. I'm on approx. my 10th Stellaris game, 8 in multiplayer. A barge comes, offers 12 instaresearch options, you can only choose one - they are random things. The game needs something like this. Ask my friends - we can be at the Battlecruiser stage and my mates are still screaming to get basics like autoexploration, or expand core systems by 1, or Power Plant level 2. It happens alot when we play in multiplayer (local coop so I hear the lamentations). Adding 1 random upgrade to completion for every 100 you get in real time will have 1/100th an effect on science. Also how is science useless? Ever tried to build a giant fleet of red laser corvettes with 30 Naval Capacity Oscot? Science IS a little underpowered, yes, but you go too far - again.

Dude, if someone takes the time to contribute (for example my first post), be a little nicer, it doesn't get you anywhere and I've been watching these forums since the game came out, use your brain more creatively, rather than deductively negging people and seeing things in the worst possible light (I know you don't do it all the time :) but you DO it often on Stellaris forums)...

Hey Oscot - sorry for not putting in more time, I thought my general ideas would be looked at more creatively (brainstorming), not critically! You've got me wrong a fair bit.

1. All leaders could use some more personality! It flavours the game, gives it role playing energy. Not for you, but lots of people role play their species and motivations in Stellaris (what kind of empire do I want to be) - its not just math for many players. Reduced combat disengagment stacking from repeated encounters would help resolve the endless chasedowns - it's good to have it but it gets out of control sometimes. (whatever about the percent- I was random number generating.

2. Were you actually thinking about the number of polygons related to adding a few worker ships on starbases? There are SO many polys rendering in Stellaris. I'm taking about adding maybe 5 ships to starbases, wouldn't affect anything (50 polys to big bases maybe) . Fleets have god knows how many - this criticism is meaningless.

3. How do you think missions between empires is a waste of time and wouldn't work? Go play Sins of a Solar Empire (Stellaris is basically Sins of a Solar Empire 2) They are awesome and create complexity and tension and are a major game mechanic to push your neighbours into hatred or alliance with you or others - don't write this idea off til you've seen it.

4. My example of sabotage was casual (geez dude) - sabotage would need to be useful and effective yes, and blowing up one ship a waste of time yes, why the negative outlook constantly? Maybe you could sabotage research, or energy production, blow up TWO ships... :p

5. Again, you have a crazy focus on numbers - whatever - an infestation army could be worth 50 armies? Happy now? The idea being that players get control of rare, and varied infestations similar to praethorian swarm. No not the same, player controlled and useful to tactical alter the landscape. In a war you can;t win it could be a last result, swarm the planets on your shared border so he can't have them back! BITTERNESS! BITTER!

6. I'd have to agree with you on your criticism on cloaking. I don't want WHOLE fleets that cloak, and again (5 seconds was a random number - chill out dude). But it would be cool to harass or sneak around with small numbers of cloaked units. It's not a bad idea to have cloaking - period - cloaking is f-ing cool.
It's one of the biggest scifi tropes that has not been integrated into this game yet and should be in someway that works within the mechanics (again I was trying to brainstorm not looking for a scalpel.)

7. Why this irrational criticism about better army unit portraits? . I could easily criticise EVERY idea ever posted, by saying "I'm opposed to any new content until the game is mechanically sound". (this would literally take an afternoon for the devs to implement and armies look far less boring and ugly. FYI - I'd also like to see armies mechanically more interesting but they are trying to make armies less... crap.... So lets hope.

8. You complain there's nothing to do in the game but then I suggest big joint projects with neighbours and you compare to fleet management? Irrational negging again. 1 minute update checks to the AI to detect if the human player is working on the joint project, then priority sending one of their construction ships over - has zero to do with fleet AI management. Completely different scripts.

9. Regarding my idea of border empire planet unrest, and leveraging it - my idea was not good - you're right, how about a chance to help a planet break off within an enemy empire and instead become independent? You could tear apart a neighbouring empire this way, creating 3 or 4 splinters that you could guarantee independence of. See, now we're being friendly and brainstorming! Like nice people. I actually hadn't thought of your idea of breaking up alliances - that is a great idea.

10. My idea for Trader Barges needed more explanation. I'm on approx. my 10th Stellaris game, 8 in multiplayer. A barge comes, offers 12 instaresearch options, you can only choose one - they are random things. The game needs something like this. Ask my friends - we can be at the Battlecruiser stage and my mates are still screaming to get basics like autoexploration, or expand core systems by 1, or Power Plant level 2. It happens alot when we play in multiplayer (local coop so I hear the lamentations). Adding 1 random upgrade to completion for every 100 you get in real time will have 1/100th an effect on science. Also how is science useless? Ever tried to build a giant fleet of red laser corvettes with 30 Naval Capacity Oscot? Science IS a little underpowered, yes, but you go too far - again.

Dude, if someone takes the time to contribute (for example my first post), be a little nicer, it doesn't get you anywhere and I've been watching these forums since the game came out, use your brain more creatively, rather than deductively negging people and seeing things in the worst possible light (I know you don't do it all the time :) but you DO it often on Stellaris forums)...
Don't worry about Oscot, they're hardline anti-RP and hate that the game caters to story-based anything.

Yes, missions are good. I like them in EU4.

Yes, extra stuff for Federations!

And to I: Oh my glob, yes!