• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. As mentioned in Dev Diary #116, we're currently in an extended post-launch support period, and so there won't be any feature dev diaries coming for a while. Just as last week, today's dev diary will be another quick update about a couple of the issues we're currently aware of and working on for the 2.1.1 rolling beta. This is just a select few items, not a comprehensive list of everything we're working on!

Performance
First, I just wanted to give a quick update about performance. We rolled out a number of fixes and performance improvements in the last update to beta, and so far we've gotten a lot of good feedback, with most users reporting the performance problems introduced in 2.1 seem to have been resolved for them. We're still going to continue looking at performance and what we can do about improving it in general, but if you are experiencing performance issues in 2.1 we strongly recommend opting into the 2.1.1 beta, and letting us know through the tech support forum if it doesn't solve your issues. We're going to try to bring these fixes to the live (non-beta) version as soon as we feel it has been tested enough, so expect to see 2.1.1 become the live version in the relatively near future, with the rolling beta switching to 2.1.2 instead.

Faction Renaming
An often requested feature has been the ability to rename the factions in your empire. As of the next version of the rolling beta, you will be able to do so by clicking the name of a selected faction in the faction view. Just as with renaming leaders, this has no actual gameplay effect and is strictly for roleplaying/player agency purposes.
2018_06_07_2.png

Improved No-GUI
Another thing that came up recently was how cumbersome it is to go into the gui tweaker and hide the planet orbital lines and system navigation arrows when trying to take extra-pretty screenshots using the Ctrl-F9 no-gui mode. As there's really no good reason for these elements to show up in no-gui mode, they will now also be hidden whenever no-gui is active.
2018_06_07_1.png

That's all for today! Join us again next week for yet more post-release support (seeing a pattern yet?).

Yeah, in 2.1.1 I'm now doing a 1000 Systems campaign, and it's considerably faster in 2380 than an 2.1 800 systems game was in 2280. Well done! :)

Although it could still be better, so I'm looking forward to further optimization passes and performance enhancements. :)

I can see a QoL pattern based on player requests. Thanks Wiz and team ;)

Now I hope we get Stellaris: Secret Files or Stellaris: Silicoids announcement when post launch ends. And unicorn teasers.

Despite the perf improvements, I still have random crashes regularly on my current game. It began after completing "The Vechtar Zavonia" and spawning the system. Cannot be sure it is linked, but since opening the L-cluster had problems, it could be as well.

Hi,

Thank you for the DD and the updates.

If I may ask, it would be great if there was also a "reset" button with the ability to rename factions (and maybe leaders as well), so that if you tire of your made-up names you could revert to the original flavor.

Can it be made possible to rename stars and not the star systems? (aka have different names)

Also make it possible to have different names for individual stars in binary/trinary star systems.

Machine uprisings struggle to succeed, often they will run out of energy and/or minerals shortly after uprising and they default to harvesting organics too much when they could be working those tiles instead. Will this be looked at soon?

Thanks for the updates! Glad to see performance fixes =D

Last beta patch gives a really big boost to performance, but always can be better ;)

Faction Renaming - BIG YES , more and deep RP will be.

This is pretty much my favorite kind of dev-diary.

Do we have the ability to rename civilian ship designs? I think that was removed when civ ships got kicked out of the ship editor. Would be cool if we could set those names in the empire creation screen.

One Qol addition that could be nice is autopause when being wardec.

@Wiz I know you said we shouldn't expect feature Dev Diaries for a while but when can we expect your design corner on planets & the tile system? You mentioned in the thread about it that you'd do one soon.

Aside from that I really appreciate the ability to rename factions, that's a fantastic immersion boost.