• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary! This one is just a short update to let you know what's going on in the development team and what you can expect in the coming weeks and months. As we just released Distant Stars this week, we will now be entering into an extended period of post-launch support with a rolling beta patch similar to what we did after the 2.0 release, both to sort out any issues with the 2.1 launch and to give us time to work on older bugs, QoL improvements and so on. We expect to have the first version of the rolling beta out early next week, with OOS fixes, a fix for starting planets sometimes spawning far away and some other priority issues sorted out.

All of this means that feature dev diaries will be taking a break, and instead we'll be focusing on simply giving you a weekly update on the rolling beta and notable additions or fixes (if any) that we are doing. Feature dev diaries will resume at some point in the summer, when we should be ready to start talking about the next major thing.

For now though, I'm going to end this dev diary with a screenshot of a 'limited victory' mechanic that we're introducing for Subjugation and Ideology wars in the rolling beta. See you next week!
2018_05_23_1.png

Fingers crossed that "the next major thing" is a diplomacy update!

According to what Daniel and Blondie said on stream, we won't get better diplomacy until Stellaris 2.

They start talking about it at 4:15. sounds quite concerning.

Last edited:
According to what Daniel and Blondie said on stream, we won't get better diplomacy until Stellaris 2.

They start talking about it at 4:15. sounds quite concerning.
They say "if we end up doing it - because, we want to do it - then it will happen when it happens".

The gist of it is: don't expect a complete overhaul that radically changes the way diplomacy works, but that does not mean there will be no changes / additions to diplomacy at all. :)

They say "if we end up doing it - because, we want to do it - then it will happen when it happens".

The gist of it is: don't expect a complete overhaul that radically changes the way diplomacy works, but that does not mean there will be no changes / additions to diplomacy at all. :)

I hope you're right.

Really enjoying this update so far. Some small changes that make space so exciting to explore again. But I am a little concerned with the update pace we've seen since 2.0. For us more casual players that don't always get to finish a full game in between major patches, the balance changes in the patches we saw after the 2.0 release really made it hard to enjoy a full game. In particular I had issues with an end-game crisis that I spent so much time preparing to take on, only to find the strength was radically altered after what I imagined was only a minor bug fix. While I support the changes and direction you're taking the game, larger balance changes should be saved for the bigger patches in my opinion. It's hard to fully enjoy a game if the rules keep changing unexpectedly.

I know right, why can't they just push out updates that are unfinished and bug ridden and leave it at that....

Well, since they always push a new update out before any patch that has corrected the vast majority of the existing bugs you could argue that they do. Fixing a few of the most outrageous bugs then diving into developing the next bug-infested DLC release/update results in never having a mostly bug-free edition...

(and this is the case across several PDS games at the moment, not just Stellaris)

Has anyone else had problems getting the Gateway Construction tech to pop? Or did something change that I don't know about?

I have the Activation tech, have been researching tier 5 tech for some time now (with a curator) and have 2 active gateways in my territory but it just won't show up.

Cheers for the DD Wiz :). I'm a bit behind-the-times (only just finished my first Apocalypse game yesterday) but think that Cherryh/Apocalypse (played it and am sure :D) and Niven/Distant Stars (looks mint, hope to play it soon :D) are moving the game in a great direction, looking forward to seeing what you and the team come up with next :cool:.

I hope so too! One thing that attracted me to this (having never played other PDS GSG) was the devs reputation for solid inter political systems, which are somewhat lacking in Stellaris atm.

I'm experiencing a bug where I surveyed a planet that had living metal and didn't get the option to research it. Said planet is now firmly within my borders, and I still haven't gotten the option to research it. I can't extract it, either. Is this a bug, or a new feature of the game?

Performance issues? I haven't had a chance to play 2.1 yet, is this a new thing?
Many people report a significant performance drop once the L-Gate is opened, Paradox is working on that one and hopefully have a fix next week.
Some people also report general performance issues, but those are rarer and are still being analyzed.

Is this where we report bugs? I am having an issue with one of the ships you get from an anomaly. The Warform specifically. I can't add it to a fleet or add ships to it to make it a fleet. So it's a single ship by itself. Quite irritating. It's an admiral, which is nice, but what is unfun is not being able to give it a fleet to command.

Aside from that, I am loving the early game now (I always did but this made it better). I would love it if science ships could remain useful, scanning the galaxy and finding new anomalies across the whole game (at a reduced chance in already explored and surveyed systems) because the early game feels too short now (esp as it has become a race to build starbases to secure real estate - the new "highway" hyperlanes make it too important to seal off entire areas of space early on).