• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today, we're going to continue talking about the 2.1 'Niven' update accompanying the Distant Stars Story Pack. Everything mentioned in this dev diary is part of the free update, not the story pack.

Space Creature Research
In the Niven update, we've gone back to the space creatures (Amoebas, Crystals, etc) and improve on their special projects and rewards. Instead of the wildly inconsistent and unbalanced rewards we have now, we have changed the space creatures so that upon discovery and completion of the initial contact project, you will now generally get up to 3 options, depending on your ethics and the type of creature:
- Hunt: This will grant a permanent damage bonus towards this type of space creature, and rewards in the form of resources on killing them.
- Research: This is the most similar option to the old events, and unlocks a special project for detailed research of the space creature that will yield a reward in the form of technology and/or permanent empire buffs.
- Pacify: This will unlock a more expensive special project that allows you to turn the space creatures non-hostile, allowing you to co-exist with them and share their space, as well as potentially unlocking the ability to research special components or weapons that they use. It is not possible to pacify certain kinds of space creatures, such as mining drones.
2018_05_10_1.png

Strategic Resource Discovery
Another thing we've tried to improve on in Niven is the discovery and exploitation of Strategic Resources. Previously, while exploring, you would not know if you had discovered any strategic resources unless you first had the related technology, which generally meant that you would explore, eventually research the tech, and suddenly discover a bunch of resources on places you had already built orbital stations on - not the most rewarding or strategic feeling. We've changed this so that strategic resources are now always visibile from the start, and you will get an event informing you when a science ship discovers a new strategic resource for the first time.

Some strategic resources will be able to be exploited immediately, while others will require a technology to be researched before you can build a mining station around that planet and gain access to the resource. Strategic Resources have generally been buffed and made more rare - we've removed their tendency to spawn in large clumps in certain areas of space, so if you find a particular resource and fail to claim that system before someone else does, you can no longer be assured that there will be another of its type nearby, and generally there won't be enough of any one strategic resource for every empire in the galaxy to have access to it.
2018_05_10_2.png

Experimental Subspace Navigation
Lastly for today is a new order we've added for Science Ships called Experimental Subspace Navigation. This order is unlocked by a mid-game tech and allows the science ship to travel to any system which you have any level of intel on (that is, has been in sensor range at least once, or is part of another empire you have communications with) while ignoring the hyperlane network. The science ship will be considered MIA for the journey and simply arrive in the other system at the end of the order, bypassing any hostile creatures or closed borders along the way. This allows even empires that have been boxed in by hostile neighbors to continue exploring the galaxy and complete event chains that might otherwise require a war. Certain special systems (such as the L-Cluster) will not be possible to travel to using this method.
2018_05_10_3.png

That's all for today! Next week is PDXcon, so there won't be a dev diary. There will, however, almost certainly be something related to Distant Stars talked about at the event itself, so stay tuned!

That really doesn't seem to be the consensus. Yes, people still want more types of FTL added (and I highly suspect that in the next (post DS) update there will be at least one) but overall the reception to the changes were pretty positive.
While I agree the "BETRAYAL! BETRAYED ME!" thing is vastly overblown, what makes you think we'll get more types of FTL? I sincerely doubt Paradox will walk back that decision in any way.

While I agree the "BETRAYAL! BETRAYED ME!" thing is vastly overblown, what makes you think we'll get more types of FTL? I sincerely doubt Paradox will walk back that decision in any way.

I don't think they will walk back the decision, but I do think they will try and come up with a new model of transit that conforms to the current system better. It would be kind of bone-headed NOT to at least attempt it considering the good press they would get out of it. I can say for certain that it won't be Warp and Wormhole Stations, but they are clever people and I'm sure they will come up with something.

I don't think they will walk back the decision, but I do think they will try and come up with a new model of transit that conforms to the current system better. It would be kind of bone-headed NOT to at least attempt it considering the good press they would get out of it. I can say for certain that it won't be Warp and Wormhole Stations, but they are clever people and I'm sure they will come up with something.
Considering the number of people bitterly insisting that Paradox is just "waiting to sell us back Warp and Wormholes in a paid DLC", I'm not so sure about that "good press".

What you should be asking is what need they'd be filling by introducing a new FTL type after already deliberately pruning it down to the one.

Considering the number of people bitterly insisting that Paradox is just "waiting to sell us back Warp and Wormholes in a paid DLC", I'm not so sure about that "good press".

Sorry, I didn't mean IN the DLC, but WITH the DLC as part of the accompanying free patch. You are correct, if they tried to put it in a DLC there would be a riot.

That really doesn't seem to be the consensus. Yes, people still want more types of FTL added (and I highly suspect that in the next (post DS) update there will be at least one) but overall the reception to the changes were pretty positive.
I would play Endless Space if I want nothing but hyperdrive. But even in ES we are not limited to hyperlines. Honestly, FTL reduction is the only one reason. There is much more. Something bad happened with Paradox after 1.9.

I would play Endless Space if I want nothing but hyperdrive. But even in ES we are not limited to hyperlines. Honestly, FTL reduction is the only one reason. There is much more. Something bad happened with Paradox after 1.9.
We are not only limited to hyperdrive here either. But that's really beside the point.

I have to admit, that before Stellaris, my most favourite 4X game was Endless Space, but comparing to Stellaris, this was just ordinary strategy game. But still, it has few interesting features, that could be adopted by Stellaris, one of them was victory conditions that suppotrs lot of play-styles, but most impprtant, and one of best (in my opinion) features, was strategic resources, where all epire could have at least one "unit" of SR, but fun was starting when havin 4 "units" (monopol) of specific SR, from now epire have additional bonusses, and other empire coudnt have monopol due to lack of spawns, it was enough for one - few monopols, or one unit to every empire and empires had to exchange SR. This cpuld be also great victory condition in Stellaris - having 80% SR monopols.

Great diary, but I've a few questions pertaining to several of the things mentioned in a way that's not related to game balance.

It is not possible to pacify certain kinds of space creatures, such as mining drones.

Why exactly can't mining drones be "pacified"?

I mean, if you can pacify biological life, why can't you pacify automated machines lore-wise?

Experimental Subspace Navigation
Lastly for today is a new order we've added for Science Ships called Experimental Subspace Navigation. This order is unlocked by a mid-game tech and allows the science ship to travel to any system which you have any level of intel on (that is, has been in sensor range at least once, or is part of another empire you have communications with) while ignoring the hyperlane network. The science ship will be considered MIA for the journey and simply arrive in the other system at the end of the order, bypassing any hostile creatures or closed borders along the way. This allows even empires that have been boxed in by hostile neighbors to continue exploring the galaxy and complete event chains that might otherwise require a war.

If "subspace navigation" is already available as an experimental model for mid-game tech, what would prevent such technology from being applied to the whole fleet when one has reached late-game tech?

Great diary, but I've a few questions pertaining to several of the things mentioned in a way that's not related to game balance.

Why exactly can't mining drones be "pacified"?

I mean, if you can pacify biological life, why can't you pacify automated machines lore-wise?

If "subspace navigation" is already available as an experimental model for mid-game tech, what would prevent such technology from being applied to the whole fleet when one has reached late-game tech?
Balance.

Lore wise, let's just say it requires calculations only the computers present on a science ship can do.

I belive, non-experimental version of this is jumpdrive. I mean it is not the same, but reaserch of full version on subspace navigation can be cancelled because jumpdrive is more efficient at least for military use

Hey you guys forgot to post this on Steam. Please try to, because I think a lot of us don't check the forums very often and it's easier to navigate here from the News section. Thanks.

Given they block very valuable mineral deposits in their systems even if not hostile, we didn't really want to introduce an option that is obviously inferior to the others.

Surely machine empires may think otherwise? Perhaps a special even that lets you integrate them into your empire (and therefore the resources?)

The problem with those experimental science ships drives is that it defies logic, you are allowing it only for certain type of ships and other can't use it exactly why? What exactly would prevent the empire to use such tech with other ships? How exactly is science ship different from other ships outside of game mechanics?

It breaks the lore for me. It would break the 4th wall everytime I tried to use those drives because I would be instantly reminded that those drives exists just to fix the previous game mechanic and that it's not something that belongs to the game world.

This is yet another example of bad gamification when devs are trying to fix their previous mistakes by another bad design. Not to mention this would be extremely annoying in the hands of AI opponnts when their science ships starts appearing out of nowhere.

The problem with those experimental science ships drives is that it defies logic, you are allowing it only for certain type of ships and other can't use it exactly why? What exactly would prevent the empire to use such tech with other ships? How exactly is science ship different from other ships outside of game mechanics?

It breaks the lore for me. It would break the 4th wall everytime I tried to use those drives because I would be instantly reminded that those drives exists just to fix the previous game mechanic and that it's not something that belongs to the game world.

This is yet another example of bad gamification when devs are trying to fix their previous mistakes by another bad design. Not to mention this would be extremely annoying in the hands of AI opponnts when their science ships starts appearing out of nowhere.
After forts in space why should they care about that?