• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #108 - 2.0 Post-Release Support (part 1)

Hello and welcome to another Stellaris dev diary. As we are still in full post-release support mode, until we are ready to get back to regular feature dev diaries, we're not going to have full-length dev diaries. Instead, we'll use the dev diaries to highlight certain fixes or tweaks that we feel need highlighting. Today, we're going to be covering some changes coming to the 2.0.2 beta in regards to War Exhaustion and forced Status Quo.

In 2.0, with the new war system, we added forced status quo peace as part of the new war exhaustion mechanics. We felt that this mechanic was necessary to ensure that limited wars could actually happen and so that the outmatched side in a war still had a reason to fight (pushing the enemy into 100% war exhaustion in order to force peace and reduce their territorial concessions). There were some problems with this mechanic, however, primarily that people felt surprised by a sudden peace in which they might lose systems the enemy has just occupied days ago, and also that certain wars (such as subjugation wars) were very difficult to fully win before being force-peaced out.

After receiving intial player feedback on these issues, we decided to try out a different model of war exhaustion in the 2.0.2 beta, replacing the forced status quo with a penalty at 100% war exhaustion. We have since been playing, testing, tweaking and collecting further feedback, and coming to the conclusion that our original design was correct - forced peace is necessary for the new war system to not simply become a series of single wars to the death, or powerful empires forcing a weaker empire into 100% war exhaustion and refusing to peace while their enemies were crippled by penalties.

For this reason, we will be reintroducing forced status quo peace, and this time it's here to stay. However, we are not simply going to roll back to exactly the way it is in 2.0, instead it will now work as follows:
- When a side in a war reaches 100% war exhaustion, they are now flagged as being at high war exhaustion, and get the alert as before
- Once at high war exhaustion, a 24 month timer will start to tick down for that side in the war. Once the timer is up, that war side can be forced into a status quo peace
- There will be no penalties for war exhaustion, but we will leave in the functionality for modders, as well as the ability to change the number of months before a forced peace is possible or disable forced peace altogether, so that those who truly hate to the idea of ever being forced to peace can at least change it through modding

These changes should mean that a status quo peace is something that doesn't come as a sudden surprise, and give the player time to start winding down their war and retake occupied systems when that war exhaustion counter ticks over into 100%.

We are also going to look into the possibility of changing Subjugation and Forced Ideology wars to either provide a clearer path to win such a war when the enemy has allies defending them, or by allowing Status Quo in such a war to achieve a 'limited victory' (liberating/subjugating part of the enemy empire instead of the whole).

These changes will not be in the very next version of 2.0.2 (as that is already being internally tested and will hopefully be with you before the end of the week), but we expect to roll them out sometime next week if all goes well.

That's all for today! See you next week for another 2.0 post-release dev diary.
2018_03_15_2.png

- When a side in a war reaches 100% war exhaustion, they are now flagged as being at high war exhaustion, and get the alert as before
I think you'll better introduce huge "ATTENTION! ATTENTION! ATTENTION!" flashing running line across the screen (pick final design from your favorite mecha anime), otherwise people will still miss it.

I think this is a good compromise. Very little was more frustrating than having your transports enroute to your opponent's last planet while at 97% exhaustion, only for attrition to end the war without you even suffering more losses.

Excellent choice, just work a bit on the numbers and solve the other kinds of wargoals and this is definitely the way to go

We're also definitely still looking into the numbers and rate of WE gain.

Excellent. I think that sounds like the best solution (and having it all be moddable is a good compromise for everyone). I liked the idea of forced status quo peace, myself (though I've not got to playing 2.x yet, since I'm still hip-deep in Witcher 3!) as - when running properly - like it should give you a very BattleTech sort of ebb and flow to wars. (And you might actually even occasionally get planets going back-and-forth between powers now.)

How are defending AI players going to react at 100% war exhaustion?

Do they have a 24 month countdown to total surrender?

AI is basically always willing to accept status quo at 100% WE, this is mostly for players. Whether they will surrender or not isn't tied to this.

01. Good, that there's a "forced" peace again ...
02. -.-, that basically, the wars are 2 years longer and nothing more ...
03. I would introduce peace-negotiations with minimal "costs" for claimed + occupied star-systems, middle "costs" for claimed, but unoccupied star-systems and high "costs" for unclaimed + unoccupied star-systems.

We are also going to look into the possibility of changing Subjugation and Forced Ideology wars to either provide a clearer path to win such a war when the enemy has allies defending them, or by allowing Status Quo in such a war to achieve a 'limited victory' (liberating/subjugating part of the enemy empire instead of the whole).

This is an excellent way to apply a status quo peace for subjugation wars.

or by allowing Status Quo in such a war to achieve a 'limited victory' (liberating/subjugating part of the enemy empire instead of the whole).
I think this would be really good.
Another issue some people seem to have had with the ideology wars is that they cannot be used to break up large empires like the old liberation war goals could.

Any confirmation on if the artillery combat computer's ranged bonus fix will be coming with the next beta update, or any attention towards balancing mechanics (specifically in regards to A) Torpedo corvette spam and B) The ineffectiveness of point defense against said torpedoes) in the next beta update?

- There will be no penalties for war exhaustion.
The most disappointing sentence in this dev diary for me.
Just because forced peace 2 years after high exhaustion would be a thing doesn't mean there shouldn't be ANY penalties. I really fail to see the logic here.