• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello and welcome to another Stellaris development diary! Today we will take a look at some of the minor features and changes in the coming 2.0 'Cherryh' update.

Quality of Life
We have added small icons to the outliner that lets you see if planets have buildings that can be upgraded, or if there are Pops that do not have a building they are working. Similarly, you will be able to see when a starbase has an empty module or building slot.

This should make it a lot easier for you to manage your planets and starbases.

upload_2018-2-8_11-27-38.png

In the fleet view it is now also possible to see which designs can be upgraded.

upload_2018-2-8_12-37-21.png

Hallowed Planets
Spiritualist empires will be able to designate an uncolonized Gaia World within their borders as a 'Holy World'. The Holy World will increase your empire's unity production as long as it remains uncolonized and within your borders.

In addition to being able to make uncolonized Gaia Worlds useful, Hallowed Planets will also make spiritualist factions happy.

upload_2018-2-8_13-1-53.png

War Doctrines
In addition to other changes to traditions, finishing the Supremacy traditions now allows you to set a War Doctrine for your empire. War Doctrines give you additional customization and specialization regarding how you utilize your fleets.

upload_2018-2-8_13-7-49.png

There are four different war doctrines with different strengths and weaknesses:
Defense in Depth: Defensive empires will have a bonus to their ship fire rate within their own borders
Hit and Run: This doctrine will increase the likelyhood of your ships making an emergency FTL in combat, and also reduce damage caused by emergency FTL
Rapid Deployment: Empires that choose to rely on quickly being able to respond to threats may choose this doctrine which increases sublight speed and ship weapon range
No retreat: Militarists and Gestalt Consciousness empires can choose to employ a doctrine of no retreat, increasing ship fire rate but removing the ability for individual ships to emergency FTL out of combat instead of being destroyed.

upload_2018-2-8_13-10-58.png

Psionic Awakening (Utopia)
Should you be playing a Psionic empire, introduced with Utopia, it will now be possible to help lesser species awaken their psionic potential. This works similar to Assimilation, where you can give another species the benefits of your chosen ascension path.

upload_2018-2-8_13-46-13.png

That's all for this week! Next week you will be able to read the full patch notes for the 2.0 'Cherryh' update!

How will vassal and star bases work? would you be able to create a max level star base then give the system to a vassal, and keep doing that until most systems had max level star bases?

How will vassal and star bases work? would you be able to create a max level star base then give the system to a vassal, and keep doing that until most systems had max level star bases?

Habitats would probably be required ofc, I’m wondering if they will change the vassal naval capacity boost to be based on pops and number of planets only. The single planet vassal release cheese would be stopped in its tracks, but would still be useful for empires that want to release a few unwanted planets or like you say, want to have upgraded star bases everywhere.

Habitats would probably be required ofc, I’m wondering if they will change the vassal naval capacity boost to be based on pops and number of planets only. The single planet vassal release cheese would be stopped in its tracks, but would still be useful for empires that want to release a few unwanted planets or like you say, want to have upgraded star bases everywhere.

The cheese does need to go somehow, but as a player who absolutely loves playing feudal empires (despite how lackluster they currently are), mostly for rp reasons. It does seem this patch is finally making feudal empires something that is really good now. It's kinda like how medieval Europe was where the lords would manage and support their own castles at the cost of relative autonomy from the king.

one way to not get rid of it but at least lesson it would be to require vassals have a minimum number of fleet cap before any of it was shared to the overload.

The cheese does need to go somehow, but as a player who absolutely loves playing feudal empires (despite how lackluster they currently are), mostly for rp reasons. It does seem this patch is finally making feudal empires something that is really good now. It's kinda like how medieval Europe was where the lords would manage and support their own castles at the cost of relative autonomy from the king.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who enjoyed the RP enough to over look the downsides. however i'm not sure how 2.0 is going to help them. I'm looking forward to it because the borders are going to make them feel more natural.

what I would like is for the feudal trait to remove tributaries and make it so vassals also give tax. As a draw back the Fleet power and tax should be less than that of non-feudal empire

Last edited:
one way to not get rid of it but at least lesson it would be to require vassals have a minimum number of fleet cap before any of it was shared to the overload.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who enjoyed the RP enough to over look the downsides. however i'm not sure how 2.0 is going to help them. I'm looking forward to it because the borders are going to make them feel more natural.

what I would like is for the feudal trait to remove tributaries and make it so vassals also give tax. As a draw back the Fleet power and tax should be less than that of non-feudal empire

They should get a solid boost from claiming systems rather than colonizing. The galaxy also seems to be unfilled for longer. Also also more citadel in your part of space as a result.

Feudal is still a bad pic tho because it really doesn't do much once the map is full. I expect itll probs be changed with the diplo rework tho, whatever form that takes

They should get a solid boost from claiming systems rather than colonizing. The galaxy also seems to be unfilled for longer. Also also more citadel in your part of space as a result.

Feudal is still a bad pic tho because it really doesn't do much once the map is full. I expect itll probs be changed with the diplo rework tho, whatever form that takes

but will it even do anything? considering now no one can colonize outside their borders

"Also being introduced along with the Fleet Manager is the concept of Home Bases. Each fleet will be able to have a Home Base set, with any friendly upgraded Starbase being valid as a Home Base. This is where the fleet will return when the Return Home order is issued, gets slight priority for actions such as reinforcing (though the focus is on distributing production sensibly rather than always using the home base), and is intended to tie into other fleet mechanics planned for Cherryh that we are not quite ready to talk about yet. "

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-98-fleet-manager.1060624/

I agree that they definitely need to be turned into a hybrid between a tributary and a vassal to play closer to how a feudal state would actually function (basically as an independant taxed mini empire loyal to a kingship)

But what I was meaning when I said they are going to potentially be really good in 2.0 is that since an empire has a starbase minimum of 3 a feudal empire could choose to only grow up to his current starbase cap then colonize new systems and start handing them off to vassals and be able to have most of his systems occupied by an upgraded starbase, subjects included. On top of the fleetcap bonus he can get from the Domination tree. Making feudal empires very hard to attack thanks to their heavily defended systems and vassals.

Kind of a Tall yet Wide vassal focused hybrid like what they was originally intended to be

I agree that they definitely need to be turned into a hybrid between a tributary and a vassal to play closer to how a feudal state would actually function (basically as an independant taxed mini empire loyal to a kingship)

But what I was meaning when I said they are going to potentially be really good in 2.0 is that since an empire has a starbase minimum of 3 a feudal empire could choose to only grow up to his current starbase cap then colonize new systems and start handing them off to vassals and be able to have most of his systems occupied by an upgraded starbase, subjects included. On top of the fleetcap bonus he can get from the Domination tree. Making feudal empires very hard to attack thanks to their heavily defended systems and vassals.

Kind of a Tall yet Wide vassal focused hybrid like what they was originally intended to be
I have had a similar thought. I bet 3 systems at most increases your starbase cap by 1. So, set up 3 systems that have a planet with 3 starbases. Get everything right so they can be self sufficient and build up a fleet or two. Release as vassal. Now I have a Vassal with 3 min-maxed starbases providing economy and fleet cap so they can make some fleets which they will contribute to my wars. After I replace the starbases given to my vassal I bet my total effective fleet power will be better than without the vassal. Add in domination vassal bonuses and it starts to become really good.

i'm not sure about that. the cap grows with your empire and you only need them defensively in key locations but this is something we really will have to see

i'm not sure about that. the cap grows with your empire and you only need them defensively in key locations but this is something we really will have to see
They aren't only defense. One by a planet can get the trade hubs and other economic bonuses. They also serve as shipyards and the anchorage module is where a lot of our fleet cap will come from. So say you give up one starbase worth of cap to create a vassal with 3 starbases. Set them up right and the vassal will have a decent amount of fleet cap and the economy to support it. Then you can build starbases to replace the ones given to the vassal. You get a vassal with fleet capacity, replace most of what you gave to the vassal and get the domination bonuses. Total power for your empire is thus increased through clever use of a vassal.