• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello and welcome to another Stellaris development diary! Today we will take a look at some of the minor features and changes in the coming 2.0 'Cherryh' update.

Quality of Life
We have added small icons to the outliner that lets you see if planets have buildings that can be upgraded, or if there are Pops that do not have a building they are working. Similarly, you will be able to see when a starbase has an empty module or building slot.

This should make it a lot easier for you to manage your planets and starbases.

upload_2018-2-8_11-27-38.png

In the fleet view it is now also possible to see which designs can be upgraded.

upload_2018-2-8_12-37-21.png

Hallowed Planets
Spiritualist empires will be able to designate an uncolonized Gaia World within their borders as a 'Holy World'. The Holy World will increase your empire's unity production as long as it remains uncolonized and within your borders.

In addition to being able to make uncolonized Gaia Worlds useful, Hallowed Planets will also make spiritualist factions happy.

upload_2018-2-8_13-1-53.png

War Doctrines
In addition to other changes to traditions, finishing the Supremacy traditions now allows you to set a War Doctrine for your empire. War Doctrines give you additional customization and specialization regarding how you utilize your fleets.

upload_2018-2-8_13-7-49.png

There are four different war doctrines with different strengths and weaknesses:
Defense in Depth: Defensive empires will have a bonus to their ship fire rate within their own borders
Hit and Run: This doctrine will increase the likelyhood of your ships making an emergency FTL in combat, and also reduce damage caused by emergency FTL
Rapid Deployment: Empires that choose to rely on quickly being able to respond to threats may choose this doctrine which increases sublight speed and ship weapon range
No retreat: Militarists and Gestalt Consciousness empires can choose to employ a doctrine of no retreat, increasing ship fire rate but removing the ability for individual ships to emergency FTL out of combat instead of being destroyed.

upload_2018-2-8_13-10-58.png

Psionic Awakening (Utopia)
Should you be playing a Psionic empire, introduced with Utopia, it will now be possible to help lesser species awaken their psionic potential. This works similar to Assimilation, where you can give another species the benefits of your chosen ascension path.

upload_2018-2-8_13-46-13.png

That's all for this week! Next week you will be able to read the full patch notes for the 2.0 'Cherryh' update!

Should you be playing a Psionic empire, introduced with Utopia, it will now be possible to help lesser species awaken their psionic potential. This works similar to Assimilation, where you can give another species the benefits of your chosen ascension path.

index.php

Can this be unlocked with the "Mind over Matter" ap or will only unlock with the Transcendence ap?

Also, in regards to modding solar system initializers, will we able to establish specific hyperlanes between systems that can overriding/replace/add to those set up by the game at start?

Come on guys (those complaining about war policies)....Pacifism playthrough is already strong as hell due to infinite federation blobing (seriously, there should be a limit for fed. members..)...let the militarists have an edge for once... Besides as a peace-loving pacifist, you should not think about war in general....

You should think about not getting instawrecked though... As an Inward-Perfection pacifist, where you are locked out of being in a federation, you already need quite a bit more ships to win over anything militaristic :D

Quality of Life
We have added small icons to the outliner that lets you see if planets have buildings that can be upgraded, or if there are Pops that do not have a building they are working. Similarly, you will be able to see when a starbase has an empty module or building slot.

This should make it a lot easier for you to manage your planets and starbases.

index.php
Have you fixed it so that outliner won't get scrambled if/when I move my capital mid to late game? I feel that that would be a very useful QoL change, as it would remove one of the main reasons I don't like moving my capitol. Plus, that is the way it used to work, and I never understood the reasoning for changing it to be based on the distance from the capitol. (Are there any mechanics besides ethics attraction that distance from capitol actually matters for?)

In the fleet view it is now also possible to see which designs can be upgraded.

index.php

What happens when you have enough ship designs in a fleet that the boxes for the designs start overlapping? (This also happens when you have a new design, haven't upgraded your flrrt but have built new ships with the altered design, they get their own boxes.) Would it be possible to have it start adding rows instead of overlapping the boxes?

Will awakening psionic potential (either through this route, or when you get the perk for your main species) work as it currently does, by creating a new species and swapping all your pops of the original species to the new one, or will it create a new template variant of the species and apply that template? This might seem identical, but the current method (which was scripted prior to the implementation of species templates and never updated as far as I can tell) means that the species stops recognizing members of that species not in your empire as being of the same species. This is particularly apparent if the CoM takes the psionic ascension, as they stop seeing the UNE humans as being of the same species.

On a related note to the psionic ascension path, can certain techs be partially enigmatic? I'm thinking of techs like the psi shields or psi jump drive, and wondering about reverse engineering them if one doesn't have psionic ascension perks.

Come on guys (those complaining about war policies)....Pacifism playthrough is already strong as hell due to infinite federation blobing (seriously, there should be a limit for fed. members..)...let the militarists have an edge for once... Besides as a peace-loving pacifist, you should not think about war in general....

except the problem isn't pacifists vs militarist is it?

no its every empire now needs to take supremacy it's must have for pacifists just as much as it is for militarist.

except the problem isn't pacifists vs militarist is it?

no its every empire now needs to take supremacy it's must have for pacifists just as much as it is for militarist.
But every empire already sooner or later too all traditions. Also, why is a must have, if you don't have it's nothing that a bigger fleet and or better technology can't compensate for.

It does however gives an incentive to deviate from the standard opening (either expansion, exploration or prosperity) once in a while.

But every empire already sooner or later too all traditions. Also, why is a must have, if you don't have it's nothing that a bigger fleet and or better technology can't compensate for.

It does however gives an incentive to deviate from the standard opening (either expansion, exploration or prosperity) once in a while.

except how do you get bigger fleets in 2.0? oh that's right starbases, what else do starbases help with? that's right research.how do you get more and cheaper starbases? supremacy. there is a difference between eventually you will have them all and you need to complete before you got to war or war comes for you. the bonuses are not negligible and you are not able to make up for them by going into another tree.

In addition to other changes to traditions, finishing the Supremacy traditions now allows you to set a War Doctrine for your empire. War Doctrines give you additional customization and specialization regarding how you utilize your fleets.

Defense in Depth: Defensive empires will have a bonus to their ship fire rate within their own borders
Hit and Run: This doctrine will increase the likelyhood of your ships making an emergency FTL in combat, and also reduce damage caused by emergency FTL
Rapid Deployment: Empires that choose to rely on quickly being able to respond to threats may choose this doctrine which increases sublight speed and ship weapon range
No retreat: Militarists and Gestalt Consciousness empires can choose to employ a doctrine of no retreat, increasing ship fire rate but removing the ability for individual ships to emergency FTL out of combat instead of being destroyed.
Hmmh. The idea of War Doctrines is a great addition. Not exactly a fan of locking everything behind the Supremacy tree, though, as the Doctrines' usefulness and the importance of war means Supremacy will in many cases be the default starter Tradition even for peaceful empires, especially when (as I presume) Bulwark of Harmony will be removed or altered as its effect is otherwise too similar to DiD.

I understand that, sadly, Traditions are intended to be completed by 100% of all empires, anyways, rather than allowing for greater diversity and customization between them, but would it be possible to consider moving individual Doctrines into different trees that suit their meaning? For example, Defense in Depth = Harmony/Synchronicity. Rapid Deployment = Expansion. Hit and Run & No Retreat = Supremacy. People who go down different trees could then use the War Doctrine policy to switch between the Doctrines they have unlocked.

[edit] Another user suggested Hit and Run could be Prosperity, which makes a lot of sense, too!

Also, will Defense in Depth add a flat bonus, or will it depend on distance to capital? Given how the game is already capable of tracking the latter, I feel a relative modifier might lead to interesting strategic decisions -- make a stand at the border with a small bonus, or deeper in your territory, sacrificing outlying colonies for a bigger defense bonus to "hold the line" against a large foe you might not be able to beat otherwise?

Interesting additions, either way. I'm curious to see how wars will work in practice when all of this comes together!

Last edited:
Also, will Defense in Depth add a flat bonus, or will it depend on distance to capital? Given how the game is already capable of tracking the latter, I feel a relative modifier might lead to interesting strategic decisions -- make a stand at the border with a small bonus, or deeper in your territory, sacrificing outlying colonies for a bigger defense bonus to "hold the line" against a large foe you might not be able to beat otherwise?

I second this. it would also play into how you fortify your systems as well as how far you are willing to expand at all if you want to get the most from this strategy.

If I were you, I would have introduced a button to "build several buildings", by analogy with "build a few robots".
and Without question - but its remove your apple from these title sempai .

would it be possible to consider moving individual Doctrines into different trees that suit their meaning? For example, Defense in Depth = Harmony/Synchronicity. Rapid Deployment = Expansion. Hit and Run & No Retreat = Supremacy. People who go down different trees could then use the War Doctrine policy to switch between the Doctrines they have unlocked.

I was just coming to post that suggestion! Though I was thinking Hit and Run might fit in Prosperity.

That’s part of the problem. If, as you say, you want to play peacefully, you would likely still want to use the defensive or rapid deployment policies. However, just to even be able to have ACCESS, let alone USE them requires completing the Supremacy tree, which feels counter-intuitive for pacifists.

An easy way to remedy this would be to swap the supremacy name with something like protectionism based on ethics, much like purity/adaptability already does (and maybe change a couple of the traditions effects as well for more flavor).

That’s part of the problem. If, as you say, you want to play peacefully, you would likely still want to use the defensive or rapid deployment policies. However, just to even be able to have ACCESS, let alone USE them requires completing the Supremacy tree, which feels counter-intuitive for pacifists.

An easy way to remedy this would be to swap the supremacy name with something like protectionism based on ethics, much like purity/adaptability already does (and maybe change a couple of the traditions effects as well for more flavor).

that wouldn't fix the underlying problem of the tree being a requirement. the bonuses are simply too good. the initial bonus alone outweighs many of the other trees completion bonuses

Since keeping Gaia worlds uncolonized will be advantageous for spiritualists, will there be any method by which we can "evacuate" worlds by encouraging its population to leave the planet as quickly as they can?

Since keeping Gaia worlds uncolonized will be advantageous for spiritualists, will there be any method by which we can "evacuate" worlds by encouraging its population to leave the planet as quickly as they can?

there is a doomsday that vaporizes all sapient life and leaves the planet unharmed....

If you hit the gaia world with a shield ray so it stays safe fore every do you still get the bonus?

The entire Supremacy tree is now actually useful for Pacifists, with more of a focus on armed deterrence.