Stellaris Dev Clash: Status Update (bonus 2.2.6 stream!)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here comes an opinion that is likely going to be unpopular!

I wouldn't bother resurrecting the dev clash. The format was mostly OK with the RP focus but I'm not sure that it worked that well with so many players on the map. In my opinion having fewer players and the rest ai would be better if your discouraging player killing. Think the cuties stream but on a larger scale.

I wouldn't bother resurrecting the dev clash. The format was mostly OK with the RP focus but I'm not sure that it worked that well with so many players on the map. In my opinion having fewer players and the rest ai would be better if your discouraging player killing. Think the cuties stream but on a larger scale.
I agree but for a different reason. I have a massive aversion to dev time being taken up on something so frivolous. Better to start a new dev clash on the upcoming stable patch.

I'm a bit confused about the patch versions. You're talking about the 2.2.6 patch, but the current beta patch is 2.2.5. How do these relate? I can understand if 2.2.6 is new features that part of the team is already working on that, but is 2.2.5 still going to be out of beta sometime soon?

We're sort of biased and are really enjoying the overall narrative of the dev clash, but I get what you're saying. Also, if and when we do another dev clash I've already got a whole load of new thoughts on how it can be better, possibly more succinct, and still maintain that narrative thread that's been unfolding in the current one. Also yes, hot code was fun but oh boy I don't want to do that again. Fewer players would be something I most definitely want to try as a format. That's a ways off, though. Even after the Dev Clash finishes, I'm going to probably have some stream content that's moving away from that to give everyone a proper rest from it and do some crazy, fun, and a little chaotic nonsense for a while.

I'm a bit confused about the patch versions. You're talking about the 2.2.6 patch, but the current beta patch is 2.2.5. How do these relate? I can understand if 2.2.6 is new features that part of the team is already working on that, but is 2.2.5 still going to be out of beta sometime soon?

2.2.5 is indeed the current beta. The dev team decided that, rather than spend our time maintaining multiple branches with the patch/fix beta and the multiplayer beta and do that fun version juggling that we have been, .6 would be a culmination of .5 and everything we're working on since then as well.

Almost forgot to ask, when 2.2.6 comes out do you expect it to be compatible with 2.2.5 saves? Since it's been delayed a bit I'm thinking about just starting a nother game now then rolling it over when the patch hits. I know you can't say for certain, but if you already know it won't work now I'd appreciate a heads up.
I don't expect an issue, but let me check with the dev team when I'm back in the office just to be sure. I'll also try to remember to mention it on stream so we can let more people know. Will let you know :)

2.2.5 is indeed the current beta. The dev team decided that, rather than spend our time maintaining multiple branches with the patch/fix beta and the multiplayer beta and do that fun version juggling that we have been, .6 would be a culmination of .5 and everything we're working on since then as well.

You have the playerbase PLEADING with you to fix major, game-breaking problems with the AI, with endgame crises, with all sorts of megacorp bugs (edit: and PERFORMANCE issues). And your response, instead of focusing on quality fixes as soon as possible, is to further delay the patch and bloat it with things that will just introduce more bugs?

Come ON, PDX!

Fix the game! Release the fixes!

You have the playerbase PLEADING with you to fix major, game-breaking problems with the AI, with endgame crises, with all sorts of megacorp bugs (edit: and PERFORMANCE issues). And your response, instead of focusing on quality fixes as soon as possible, is to further delay the patch and bloat it with things that will just introduce more bugs?

Come ON, PDX!

Fix the game! Release the fixes!
You need to reread this.

You want them to... fix the problems... but also rush out the patch and not delay it? They are delaying it to work on it more.

You need to reread this.

You want them to... fix the problems... but also rush out the patch and not delay it? They are delaying it to work on it more.

They're adding new features and major changes that are far beyond bug fixes; do I really need to link the dev posts in this forum talking about new things and redesigns they're doing? I want the bug fixes. Those fixes are being delayed.

They're adding new features and major changes that are far beyond bug fixes; do I really need to link the dev posts in this forum talking about new things and redesigns they're doing? I want the bug fixes. Those fixes are being delayed.
Yes, you do need to link the dev posts, because I somehow haven't seen it. A prettier UI is a far cry from "Bloating the game with features that will cause more bugs".

Hello devs. Would it be possible to organize military fleets into commands (similarly to what was done with sectors, but you manually assign a given fleet to a command)? e.g. I have multiple 'fleets' (consisting only of corvettes) for internal anti-piracy patrols, as well as the usual battle fleet and scounting fleets. It would be nice if I could assigned different fleets to createable commands, so when I view the military fleets dropdown (let's face it, the 'Fleet Manager' is nearly useless past more than 6 fleets), I can view each command in the same way I'd view individual colonies within the sectors dropdown.

Hello devs. Would it be possible to organize military fleets into commands (similarly to what was done with sectors, but you manually assign a given fleet to a command)? e.g. I have multiple 'fleets' (consisting only of corvettes) for internal anti-piracy patrols, as well as the usual battle fleet and scounting fleets. It would be nice if I could assigned different fleets to createable commands, so when I view the military fleets dropdown (let's face it, the 'Fleet Manager' is nearly useless past more than 6 fleets), I can view each command in the same way I'd view individual colonies within the sectors dropdown.
We have this with the Ctrl-Groups. You can even have multiple fleets in one Ctrl-Group. So you can have:
1- Your homeworld, as default.
2- All 6 of your fleets.
3- Fleets 1 and 2
4- Fleets 3 and 4
5- Fleets 5 and 6

I can't wait for the next update :)

Screenshot (348).png

I agree but for a different reason. I have a massive aversion to dev time being taken up on something so frivolous. Better to start a new dev clash on the upcoming stable patch.

As much as I'd love to see the devs push out lots of updates and fixes, do you really want the people working on the game have no concept of how the game actually plays because they don't... y'know... play it?

EDIT: I misread the original post as saying that he wanted them to just stop doing the dev clash. I can agree that if the save is that far gone, they should just go ahead and start fresh.

Last edited:
I hope the devs put a shortcut key for opening the Resettle menu.

As much as I'd love to see the devs push out lots of updates and fixes, do you really want the people working on the game have no concept of how the game actually plays because they don't... y'know... play it?
He meant spending time on salvaging the save not the dev clash itself.

Last edited:

We have this with the Ctrl-Groups. You can even have multiple fleets in one Ctrl-Group. So you can have:
1- Your homeworld, as default.
2- All 6 of your fleets.
3- Fleets 1 and 2
4- Fleets 3 and 4
5- Fleets 5 and 6

I think he meant sth different. At least i understood it different. I like the idea of commands, who can be assigned a mission and do its stuff automatically. I imagine it sort of a battleplan system in hoi 4 or the mission system for fleets in eu4.

So assign a bunch of corvett-fleets to a command, give it the pirate hunting command and then voila, its not you problem anymore. Or define some battleplan for one fromt to micro the other front or such...so i see potential there, but its definitly no trivial change

The dev clash has replaced internal multiplayer sessions that we have. These sessions help team building, people enjoying the game together, and potential bug-finding. If the dev clash stopped, we'd just resume these again so that they'd have that opportunity... but then you don't get to see the craziness that is Ilya and his USG shenanigans. ;p