Stellaris Dev Clash: Status Update (bonus 2.2.6 stream!)

Stellaris Dev Clash: Status Update (bonus 2.2.6 stream!)

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

badgr

Sr. Community Developer Strategy Games
6 Badges
Jun 12, 2018
twitter.com
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
Hi all,

As many who tune in last week will know, we have had some issues with the current save of the Stellaris dev clash. The save was started in MegaCorp's pre-release days and has been on the dangerous frontiers of "hot code" since the beginning. Multiple patches and hand-made alterations to this save file has obviously had an impact. Last week's dev clash ended early because of issues with sync issues, but there is yet hope!

Now, we're taking a short hiatus from the dev clash to focus on the imminent 2.2.6 patch. We'll be posting a dev diary tomorrow with a whole bunch of information that you're going to really want to read, and instead of running the dev clash we'll be streaming that. I will bring Daniel Moregård onto the stream to show these things in greater depth and detail, so coming along for that starting at 16:00 CET!

While we're focusing on 2.2.6 patch for the next little while, we're obviously putting the issue with this heavily altered and Frankensteined save file on a low priority - which means we're not dedicating time to trying to test its stability right now. After 2.2.6 releases, we'll be able to get back to that and take the necessary time to test it. There is a very real possibility that the save is beyond repair and rescue, but we're hopeful and will still try. Patch is the priority, though!

On a positive note, we were able to identify and quash an edge case issue* because of the dev clash save.

* I'd tell you what that is, but I'll be honest... when Carl explained it to me, I didn't fully understand what he was trying to explain.

Thanks for being patient with us during the strangeness that has been this dev clash and the many edits we've made to the save. Look out for the dev diary and stream tomorrow!

badgr

6 Badges
Jun 12, 2018
twitter.com
  • Stellaris Sign-up
Thanks for the update, are we going to be blessed with a patch this month? :)
Nope, sorry! We'll give you a sneaky little look at it tomorrow though. :)

badgr

6 Badges
Jun 12, 2018
twitter.com
  • Stellaris Sign-up
Here comes an opinion that is likely going to be unpopular!

I wouldn't bother resurrecting the dev clash. The format was mostly OK with the RP focus but I'm not sure that it worked that well with so many players on the map. In my opinion having fewer players and the rest ai would be better if your discouraging player killing. Think the cuties stream but on a larger scale.
We're sort of biased and are really enjoying the overall narrative of the dev clash, but I get what you're saying. Also, if and when we do another dev clash I've already got a whole load of new thoughts on how it can be better, possibly more succinct, and still maintain that narrative thread that's been unfolding in the current one. Also yes, hot code was fun but oh boy I don't want to do that again. Fewer players would be something I most definitely want to try as a format. That's a ways off, though. Even after the Dev Clash finishes, I'm going to probably have some stream content that's moving away from that to give everyone a proper rest from it and do some crazy, fun, and a little chaotic nonsense for a while.

I'm a bit confused about the patch versions. You're talking about the 2.2.6 patch, but the current beta patch is 2.2.5. How do these relate? I can understand if 2.2.6 is new features that part of the team is already working on that, but is 2.2.5 still going to be out of beta sometime soon?
2.2.5 is indeed the current beta. The dev team decided that, rather than spend our time maintaining multiple branches with the patch/fix beta and the multiplayer beta and do that fun version juggling that we have been, .6 would be a culmination of .5 and everything we're working on since then as well.

badgr

6 Badges
Jun 12, 2018
twitter.com
  • Stellaris Sign-up
Almost forgot to ask, when 2.2.6 comes out do you expect it to be compatible with 2.2.5 saves? Since it's been delayed a bit I'm thinking about just starting a nother game now then rolling it over when the patch hits. I know you can't say for certain, but if you already know it won't work now I'd appreciate a heads up.
I don't expect an issue, but let me check with the dev team when I'm back in the office just to be sure. I'll also try to remember to mention it on stream so we can let more people know. Will let you know :)

badgr

6 Badges
Jun 12, 2018
twitter.com
  • Stellaris Sign-up
As much as I'd love to see the devs push out lots of updates and fixes, do you really want the people working on the game have no concept of how the game actually plays because they don't... y'know... play it?
The dev clash has replaced internal multiplayer sessions that we have. These sessions help team building, people enjoying the game together, and potential bug-finding. If the dev clash stopped, we'd just resume these again so that they'd have that opportunity... but then you don't get to see the craziness that is Ilya and his USG shenanigans. ;p

Harlot

Captain
150 Badges
Dec 10, 2011
  • War of the Vikings
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Prison Architect
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • BATTLETECH
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
Today's stream will be the perfect opportunity to ask those questions people. Write them down, swing by at 4p.m. CET and ask them in the Twitch chat as we're streaming. You'll have our Game Director there, live. :)