Stellaris Dev Clash: Status Update (bonus 2.2.6 stream!)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

badgr

Paradox Arc
6 Badges
Jun 12, 2018
twitter.com
Hi all,

As many who tune in last week will know, we have had some issues with the current save of the Stellaris dev clash. The save was started in MegaCorp's pre-release days and has been on the dangerous frontiers of "hot code" since the beginning. Multiple patches and hand-made alterations to this save file has obviously had an impact. Last week's dev clash ended early because of issues with sync issues, but there is yet hope!

Now, we're taking a short hiatus from the dev clash to focus on the imminent 2.2.6 patch. We'll be posting a dev diary tomorrow with a whole bunch of information that you're going to really want to read, and instead of running the dev clash we'll be streaming that. I will bring Daniel Moregård onto the stream to show these things in greater depth and detail, so coming along for that starting at 16:00 CET!

While we're focusing on 2.2.6 patch for the next little while, we're obviously putting the issue with this heavily altered and Frankensteined save file on a low priority - which means we're not dedicating time to trying to test its stability right now. After 2.2.6 releases, we'll be able to get back to that and take the necessary time to test it. There is a very real possibility that the save is beyond repair and rescue, but we're hopeful and will still try. Patch is the priority, though!

On a positive note, we were able to identify and quash an edge case issue* because of the dev clash save.

* I'd tell you what that is, but I'll be honest... when Carl explained it to me, I didn't fully understand what he was trying to explain.

Thanks for being patient with us during the strangeness that has been this dev clash and the many edits we've made to the save. Look out for the dev diary and stream tomorrow!

Nope, sorry! We'll give you a sneaky little look at it tomorrow though. :)

Aw. Well, I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer.

Hi all,

As many who tune in last week will know, we have had some issues with the current save of the Stellaris dev clash. The save was started in MegaCorp's pre-release days and has been on the dangerous frontiers of "hot code" since the beginning. Multiple patches and hand-made alterations to this save file has obviously had an impact. Last week's dev clash ended early because of issues with sync issues, but there is yet hope!

Now, we're taking a short hiatus from the dev clash to focus on the imminent 2.2.6 patch. We'll be posting a dev diary tomorrow with a whole bunch of information that you're going to really want to read, and instead of running the dev clash we'll be streaming that. I will bring Daniel Moregård onto the stream to show these things in greater depth and detail, so coming along for that starting at 16:00 CET!

While we're focusing on 2.2.6 patch for the next little while, we're obviously putting the issue with this heavily altered and Frankensteined save file on a low priority - which means we're not dedicating time to trying to test its stability right now. After 2.2.6 releases, we'll be able to get back to that and take the necessary time to test it. There is a very real possibility that the save is beyond repair and rescue, but we're hopeful and will still try. Patch is the priority, though!

On a positive note, we were able to identify and quash an edge case issue* because of the dev clash save.

* I'd tell you what that is, but I'll be honest... when Carl explained it to me, I didn't fully understand what he was trying to explain.

Thanks for being patient with us during the strangeness that has been this dev clash and the many edits we've made to the save. Look out for the dev diary and stream tomorrow!

Thanks for the update!

Almost forgot to ask, when 2.2.6 comes out do you expect it to be compatible with 2.2.5 saves? Since it's been delayed a bit I'm thinking about just starting a nother game now then rolling it over when the patch hits. I know you can't say for certain, but if you already know it won't work now I'd appreciate a heads up.

Not coming out tomorrow? That sucks, but at the same time, whew. I felt like I was on the clock in my current playthrough. (EDIT) Because I can't figure out how to stop updates on steam, heh.
EDIT^2 why don't AI empires clear blockers? It seems like an odd issue that I noticed in my game. At least I see them with upgraded buildings and refineries.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! It's a pity if Dev Clash comes to abrupt end, but it did serve its purpose anyway (by helping to squash some issues early and by showing off the new stuff and by letting everyone have a good fun).

Almost forgot to ask, when 2.2.6 comes out do you expect it to be compatible with 2.2.5 saves? Since it's been delayed a bit I'm thinking about just starting a nother game now then rolling it over when the patch hits. I know you can't say for certain, but if you already know it won't work now I'd appreciate a heads up.
I reckon the issue is with that particular save because it was played on multiple pre-release versions which have eventually broken something inside it. Our normal saves should work ok.

Guys just plz say that u guys are thinking of fixing late game stutter. There are so many ways. But in my oppinion best one would be just to remove a lot of min maxing mechanics since that lags late game hard and also i know a lot of ppl like it but i think its better to have sandbox game where it can be interesting just with less isues and lags.

I'm trying to remember what else my game break the save because of the patch.
And I can't.
Guys, you have to keep up with the times.
And in time patches doesnt break saves.
That's not how this works . gif

Unless you want the entire game to be a monstrosity of backwords compatible spaghetti nonsense, every expansion is going to be save-breaking.
Any patch with significant improvements to game features will likely be save-breaking.

Quality of life and optimization usually won't be. Bug fixes by themselves (usually) won't be.

I'm trying to remember what else my game break the save because of the patch.
And I can't.
Guys, you have to keep up with the times.
And in time patches doesnt break saves.
Of course it doesn't. I mean turning code logic of A=B and 1+1=2 into A=C and 1+1=youdon'tknowwhatyou'retalkingabout totally doesn't affect anything.

Its how it works in all my others games gif
How can you explane it?

Simple, this game tends to change things more and on a more fundamental level than most games tend to do. But even so, even with other non-paradox games, patches have broken savegames, or caused other problems. It's also not really worth it to maintain compatibility with older versions in this game as there are no problems with keeping your older version for a little longer or changing it back. I had done so before 2.0 because I had a multiplayer savefile I wanted to continue with.

Its how it works in all my others games gif
How can you explane it?
In laymans terms a save contains the game state which is contingent on the game rules, change the rules and you get unexpected results when you load the save game data into the game since it might reference assets that no longer exist or work differently or expect assets that no longer exist or work differently.

Guys just plz say that u guys are thinking of fixing late game stutter. There are so many ways. But in my oppinion best one would be just to remove a lot of min maxing mechanics since that lags late game hard and also i know a lot of ppl like it but i think its better to have sandbox game where it can be interesting just with less isues and lags.
What do you even mean. When they remove min max mechanics there wouldn't be much game left. The mechanics are what makes a sandbox game interesting. And ofc they want to increase performance, they said in many comments for all their games that performance is an on-going effort. But it isn't that easy.

Last edited:
well, lets see if 2.2.6 is finally the update that will make the game normally playable. after 3 monts of official release of 2.2, it would be nice if i could actually play the game. not just watch the bugs.