• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

badgr

Paradox Arc
6 Badges
Jun 12, 2018
twitter.com
Hi all,

With Stellaris Conole's multiplayer update just around the corner, we wanted to give you the information regarding this that we've seen brought up over the last couple of weeks and lay it out in a single thread. If more questions come through, we'll get the relevant information posted into this thread later on once the answer is confirmed :)

1. How many players maximum can play multiplayer together and what is the total empire cap in MP?
    4 human players, 10 AI Empires

2. Will it be possible to save and load multiplayer games
    Of course! This is an important part of playing MP with your friends

3. Can MP save files be played in singleplayer after?
    Certainly

4. What about making a singleplayer game into MP?
    Yes!

5. How will hot-joining work?
    Multiplayer games in progress with one or more players in the session can be joined by other players. When a player joins, the game pauses and the host will be given an option whether to allow or deny a player's join request. If the player(s) are allowed in, they will be able to choose from the empires that exist in this specific save game.

If a player loses connection to the server mid-way through a game and reconnects, they will see which empire they were previously playing as. The save state of the game in progress is then sent to the joining player(s) and when everyone is synchronized, the host can resume the game.
As always, if you have any questions that have not already been covered, drop them below. @Harlot and I will respond as soon as possible or, if we don't directly know the answer, find out for you!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would imagine the empire and player cap is strictly tied to the hardware's capabilities. I don't imagine that raising it is a short-term possibility.

As for a GM mode, it's not a feature either on consoles on PCs, though, just in my personal opinion, it sounds cool AFK. :)

Can I ask if what the time management will look like? Can any player pause the action at any time? Will this go to a turn-based situation like Civilization? Just curious how this will be managed with 4 people in this enormous universe.

Can I ask if what the time management will look like? Can any player pause the action at any time? Will this go to a turn-based situation like Civilization? Just curious how this will be managed with 4 people in this enormous universe.
Everyone can pause and unpause at any time but the host controls the game's speed.

How will dlc's work? If one player has leviathans and another does not will we have to deactivate it?
If a host has certain DLCs, everyone will be able to use them in that single session. :)

Also will their be a game master option were the host can become the game master and control all things in the galaxy?
This is a technical difficulty that even with the PC version hasn't been worked out just yet. There have been a number of requests for a GM mode for the game, and it's something that we may explore in future but for right now it's not on the radar.

Can you form an alliance with another player and play the game co-op?
You can conduct all of the same diplomacy options that you currently have available to you with AI empires, except the person on the other end is a player. As far as controlling a single empire together, no this isn't possible. You would play separate empires but otherwise, all diplomatic options will be available as if in a singleplayer game. :)

I hope we can get up to 5 player multiplayer or higher, in the future, even if less AI players are in or map size is limited. My dad just bought this game and we are glad that we finally have grand strategy on Xbox One we can play together across state lines. We come from the Civilization franchise and were lacking a console replacement.

Will there be cross platform available between ps4 users and xbox users in multiplayer?
That's a "no" I'm afraid.

@Harlot Thanks for the thread really useful! Quick question do you know when the update will go live exactly like is it just going to be 12:00 EST or what? thanks again!
I'm not sure about the exact times. With the last update it was midninght for Xbox One users and PS4 had a scattered launch depending on the region.

Any chance of host migration in the future? I've been in a few games where hosts will quit and it's pretty much game over from there. Bit frustrating when you spend a few hours in a game only for it to end without any chance of continuing. At the very least itd be nice to see the ability to finish the map in SP for non host players.

Also the game genuinely needs pause controls/settings. Annoying if you get one player who keeps pausing it repeatedly.

Not to seem completely negative I love the game, just needs more multiplayer goodness