• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Console Edition DD#32 - Minor Artifacts

Hello Stellaris: Console Community,

Welcome back to another Stellaris: Console Edition dev diary!

Back when we released Expansion Pass Four, we announced that the Ancient Relics Story Pack and the Necroids Species Pack are coming in 2021. This plan hasn’t changed. So from this, you can guess the release dates of Ancient Relics and Necroids are still planned to be in 2021. :D

Before we get into today’s Dev Diary, we would also like to remind our community that porting a PC game to Console isn’t as simple as copy and pasting it from one folder to another. Porting a game as complicated as Stellaris is time-consuming and challenging, add to that the requirements of redesigning the user interface, maintaining performance on multiple Consoles, testing for bugs as well as ensuring that all the content is in the game and works as designed.

We hope that this video from PDXCON this year will shine further light on this process, this is the Tantalus devs talking about the process of bringing the PC game to Consoles:

I’m also pleased to be able to announce that Tantalus has been working on the next major update for Stellaris: Console Edition for a while now! This update is currently planned to release sometime in the new year. As it’s still early in development, we don’t have a more definitive timeline than that to share at the moment. As usual, closer to release we will be publishing dev diaries outlining the upcoming changes.

Now, on to the Ancient Relics Story Pack!

Minor Artifacts

In the upcoming Ancient Relics Story Pack, you will be able to come across Minor Artifacts. Minor Artifacts are a broad classification, meant to apply to any smaller and nameless artifact left behind by an ancient civilization. They are never gained passively or monthly and instead need to be found, either through events or archaeological sites.

gEVFd0hIqXuTmHrz2wU6LLJmTN2B_McWRlWgPU-WqRTIFf85-sJYQJLLMZ51r93baj5xQO6eI0UkFBfeJbxmLxVufdec9W-CMj72e_-0yHst7A9iQCa3IjulIJAKAL0xy2Svt8AZ=s0

These Minor Artifacts can be consumed through artifact actions. There are several different actions that can be performed using Minor Artifacts, with different effects for each. Some of these actions will be locked behind a technology (Arcane Deciphering), while others are dependent on authority and/or ethics, and other artifact actions can be unlocked by actions taken in the game. It is also possible to use Minor Artifacts to gain L-Gate insights! (with the Distant Stars Story Pack)

bR8Y7rRH_Q3Sz3K_XaUBvdEoKUKy8VZcYrGYrNifMk3o9xQINEj9a6ab_t9rIQ8xN2OBwCMz81_GV-dpFIvPAZ2RUWvk-H1aaAj4TGpFyVsf5-LpyaaAkaa-ZYlhNZaicg-wSYzY=s0

We won’t go through all of the actions here, but we will show off a couple:

Sell to Private Collectors

Sell to Private Collectors allows you to convert Minor Artifacts into Energy Credits by putting your Minor Artifacts up for auction. This grants 100-500 energy credits. This action is not available for Gestalt Consciousnesses.

GE0MhqOhQlnYg_6-17lUgkLkKBAFGn6Ai-e6QjAKP0YufQ6zwrIbSVt6oghJnA4-CCPaw0MV2PnZx3EkULLjOq4J03j4BZaAtC60t_1TxbuGUHesmRYzJTu7xjGq7VHI1oMXkxX4=s0

Find Military/Peaceful Applications

These actions allow you to break down Minor Artifacts and choose a Military or Peaceful application for them. Both of these actions have a cooldown of 900 days, require the Arcane Deciphering Technology, and are limited by empire authority. Choosing one action will also activate the cooldown on the other.

F0nRrAV8oBEobll5NzH5Dggi9iBysLV5Cuvso5rGcL_xMLNHEskcf86CuZO4tsoc-j8TnM_6WHc8I7zd3evjHXl3TZQC1Z5iqnj5Yo0mtpYPzq5-Dgl8D-Eq5kOaH_NyyEIRDXnD=s0

Peaceful Applications are not available to Fanatic Purifiers.. Mistakes were made.

Both decisions will allow you to choose from potential outcomes, granting empire bonuses for military or civilian purposes.

RylYlYLCvf235GMAk1C78dlCV_D-GDGMwu75l6u-sNfpVpLHl9hXV3fXuDzBZa6UdFd7j003D3PR9pS8rGyhKB1k2My5HPNOf9D39dyw6-6BERwqtMuQZhv0wfe8AdRH5WKcPYw-=s0

Send Artifacts to Museum Exhibits (Planetary Decision)

This planetary decision allows you to put Minor Artifacts on display for your people to see. It costs 2 Minor Artifacts and will add an Artifact Exhibition modifier to the selected planet for 10 years, which gives Culture Workers +20% output.

DIUzQ5bMQaU_1kzu52ikIO2UI18oG5Eueu37VkF82K-zoe544Lg646R45XO4L1Gf-S99aCldxy3TuA6PBsBG5NJOmcSy8IWO6OtzrnfzLr7MpCsYXrN37gL-8FIMqpB0U97BK8Pb=s0

Discover Precursor Insight

This artifact action allows you to use Minor Artifacts to discover the location of one of the sites in your current precursor event chain.

uMK3VNc1bXNlvjVL5IhvC1IFZdjXcmoc04Ap-iq0RyOETxseRKPVltdNDcFv_jP2sfJkXIaramURp9esaTI-dFZJqNE4Focp-00ZgvJEnNP53ukC8RzLp6Urx-8gN_NpS-oVQd9I=s0

Delve deeper into Precursor Events

Completion of various precursor event chains will allow you to spend 50 Minor Artifacts to delve deeper into the secrets of the Precursor Civilization you’ve discovered. As a rule, this action only becomes active after the precursor homeworld has been surveyed, and can only be used once per game.

Reverse-Engineer Arcane Technology

This artifact action allows you to break down Minor Artifacts and have them examined by your scientists. This action requires the Arcane Deciphering technology and grants one of four random outcomes:
  • 500-10000 Research of one type (Physics, Society, Engineering)
  • +10% Research Speed for 5 years
  • Random Technology Research Option (at 20% progress)
  • Ability to build a single Fallen Empire housing or resource building

W_O-vGZDZ3SVII-YUJw3ph9z0sotHVZ80cpbyBM_8i-bGTWeM6fPEFCUSVJ0UlWKR85VAMvNTmKd_zdIxSuNPhsU93zIO8h4TDvzmNcqiyMfgRy4UJEsaMk82P5Dn2wINNY-nOf-=s0

That’s it for this week, be sure to join us next week when we’ll talk about the new Precursor Event chains and other new content coming in the Ancient Relics Story Pack!

• 9Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Does this mean that there's a limited amount of minor artifacts to collect? Surely there's only a few hundred to a thousand in total because of the final stage of the Mega-Art Installation.

Does this mean that there's a limited amount of minor artifacts to collect? Surely there's only a few hundred to a thousand in total because of the final stage of the Mega-Art Installation.
Yes, there is a theoretical limited number of Minor Artifacts, and they will become rarer as dig sites are excavated and most of the galaxy is explored. Now, what that actual number is, would be extremely difficult to say, due to the random nature of most of the events. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, there is a theoretical limited number of Minor Artifacts, and they will become rarer as dig sites are excavated and most of the galaxy is explored. Now, what that actual number is, would be extremely difficult to say, due to the random nature of most of the events. :)
Ah, that's really unfortunate. I really like maximising levels and upgrades and strength. For example, I like to let other empires build megastructures, then take them but leave all of their other territory, that way I get several of each megastructure. I know that this is the wrong forum for this and with the existence of mods I think I know the answer but do you know if Paradox/Tantalus have considered adding a slider for the amount of buildable megastructures/minor artifacts, similar to the ability to deactivate FEs and ECs?

Ah, that's really unfortunate. I really like maximising levels and upgrades and strength. For example, I like to let other empires build megastructures, then take them but leave all of their other territory, that way I get several of each megastructure. I know that this is the wrong forum for this and with the existence of mods I think I know the answer but do you know if Paradox/Tantalus have considered adding a slider for the amount of buildable megastructures/minor artifacts, similar to the ability to deactivate FEs and ECs?
Paradox has said in the past they want to look into getting mods for the console edition but they would need to wait until it was caught up with the pc version

there is a mod on pc that allows you to tweak how many megastructures you can build, granted it is something you do as soon as you get into a game, rather than before you start

Paradox has said in the past they want to look into getting mods for the console edition but they would need to wait until it was caught up with the pc version

there is a mod on pc that allows you to tweak how many megastructures you can build, granted it is something you do as soon as you get into a game, rather than before you start
Oh, I know about that mod, I believe that feature comes with the Gigastructures mod, correct? My question wasn't about mod support (though I would be interested in knowing where you've heard Paradox mention that if you can link a source?), my question was do you know if Paradox has thought about a pre-game slider to deactivate the megastructure/minor artefact limit. The reason I mentioned mods was because I know that there are mods that accomplish this, so if they planned on adding mod support, they might consider that a reason to not bother adding that slider as a feature

I don't under stand why the "Porting a game" was included in this post.
So,.. my job is hard also but I don't promise what I can't deliver on.
Sounds like you your stating the easy let down.
They aren't promising what they can't deliver on, they're explaining the wait in between updates and the resurgence of Dev Diaries. Some people will see the several month wait in between updates and wonder why it's taking so long, especially when we are nearing the end of the year and the plan was to get the next two DLCs out by then. They are explaining that this is still the plan and that we should be patient.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sucha great game and sucha great job on the port by you guys, so much content and so much going on in the background to get it all rights no easy feat! Cant wait to see the new content, played on the ol xbox a year ago and been sold ever since, cheers guys!

• 2Like
Reactions:
They aren't promising what they can't deliver on, they're explaining the wait in between updates and the resurgence of Dev Diaries. Some people will see the several month wait in between updates and wonder why it's taking so long, especially when we are nearing the end of the year and the plan was to get the next two DLCs out by then. They are explaining that this is still the plan and that we should be patient.
I didn't say they are not deriving. I'm obviously saying I'm skeptical, and feeling that way because of their statement.

AR doesn't really add in much for older DLC content

As for the Lem update which just hit PC, that is something separate
I play on both console and PC; and while I agree that AR doesn’t add a massive amount; I really miss the precursor upgrades when playing console edition. Completing Cybrex early doesn’t have the same impact without getting Megaengineering and the free alloys

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I play on both console and PC; and while I agree that AR does add a massive amount; I really miss the precursor upgrades when playing console edition. Completing Cybrex early doesn’t have the same impact without getting Megaengineering and the free alloys
Did Cybrex used to give you Mega-Engineering upon completion? Damn.