• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Imnus

Corporal
Jan 22, 2016
Description
Adjetive: NAME_Xurian

Game Version
Shelley v2.7.2

What version do you use?
GoG

What expansions do you have installed?
Synthetic Dawn, Utopia, Leviathans Story Pack, Apocalypse, Megacorp, Distant Stars, Ancient Relics, Lithoids, Federations

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
It shows "Adjetive: NAME_Xurian" for the Xuri (XuraCorp) species which I guess it's a random generated species.

Steps to reproduce the issue.
Nothing, just start a new game.

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• 2200.01.01 (Name_Xurian).sav
    1,5 MB · Views: 0
  • Name_Xurian.png
    Name_Xurian.png
    1,1 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Playing in French, I always have "Name_Robotienne" for my default robot species' adjective, and I find this consistent with your own observation.

1) This looks like a hardcoded trick to generate a species' adjective when it isn't defined in name lists (in /common) or in localisation files..

2) In French, choice was made to construct the adjective with NAME_SPECIES + "ienne" suffix (as in "terrienne"), and I guess that in English, choice is: NAME_SPECIES + "an" suffix (as in Human, Terran). I my opinion, a better choice would have been to set adjective to NAME_SPECIES (Xuri, Tamil, Bengali) because "an" suffix is usually appended to a country name, not a nationality name. (Russia -> Russian, not Russianan). Anyways, better add those missing adjectives to a file in localisation_synced folder, instead of hardcoding them, if possible.

3) Moreover, I suspect a typo in the code. Imagine that the adjective for the Xuri species had to be "Xuri-an", that could be formed by concatenating a variable's name to the suffix:
"$NAME_SPECIES$an" (e.g. "Xurian" or "Robotienne")
But what we experience merely looks like:
"NAME_SPECIESan" (e.g. "Name_Xurian" or "Name_Robotienne")

Playing in French, I always have "Name_Robotienne" for my default robot species' adjective, and I find this consistent with your own observation.

1) This looks like a hardcoded trick to generate a species' adjective when it isn't defined in name lists (in /common) or in localisation files..

2) In French, choice was made to construct the adjective with NAME_SPECIES + "ienne" suffix (as in "terrienne"), and I guess that in English, choice is: NAME_SPECIES + "an" suffix (as in Human, Terran). I my opinion, a better choice would have been to set adjective to NAME_SPECIES (Xuri, Tamil, Bengali) because "an" suffix is usually appended to a country name, not a nationality name. (Russia -> Russian, not Russianan). Anyways, better add those missing adjectives to a file in localisation_synced folder, instead of hardcoding them, if possible.

3) Moreover, I suspect a typo in the code. Imagine that the adjective for the Xuri species had to be "Xuri-an", that could be formed by concatenating a variable's name to the suffix:
"$NAME_SPECIES$an" (e.g. "Xurian" or "Robotienne")
But what we experience merely looks like:
"NAME_SPECIESan" (e.g. "Name_Xurian" or "Name_Robotienne")

Yes, I created a mod for that one, but they better fix it like you suggested in step 3 because they's probably tons of them. I won't everyone that's missing because who knows which ones and how many, I can only fix the ones I see.

Robots are the perfect exemple where current rules for constructing a missing adjective aren't effective. I guess that they test for finals, but in this special case, adjective resort to technical rules and should be "Robotic", so better have a dedicated Name_Robot_Adjective in the localization files!

In case this is not fixed, whatever the reason, could you please explain how you fixed it, just adding a "Name_Robot_Adjective:" in some file?

Robots are the perfect exemple where current rules for constructing a missing adjective aren't effective. I guess that they test for finals, but in this special case, adjective resort to technical rules and should be "Robotic", so better have a dedicated Name_Robot_Adjective in the localization files!

In case this is not fixed, whatever the reason, could you please explain how you fixed it, just adding a "Name_Robot_Adjective:" in some file?

This is what I did to fix my problem:

'C:\GOG Games\Stellaris\localisation_synced\initializers_names.yml' (copy to a mod of course)

NAME_XuraCorp: "XuraCorp"
NAME_XuraCorp_HQ: "XuraCorp HQ"
NAME_Xuri: "Xuri"
NAME_Yormak's_Belly: "Yormak's Belly"

->

NAME_XuraCorp: "XuraCorp"
NAME_XuraCorp_HQ: "XuraCorp HQ"
NAME_Xuri: "Xuri"
NAME_Xurian: "Xurian"
NAME_Yormak's_Belly: "Yormak's Belly"

By the way, I really think it's time for writers to stop using English names when they should use English adjectives. The event description are "plagued" with [GetSpeciesName] retrievers that are used instead of [GetSpeciesAdj]. This doesn't help with the localization, and even if Human = Human (only in English, though!), don't forget there are alien species, and apparently a design scheme to apply some diversity in alien grammar. See how are formed random species' plural and adjective, even in "Englo-alien".

With this culture in mind, NAME_Xurian wouldn't have been used, and we would have NAME_Xuri_Adj, NAME_Muutagan_Adj, and NAME_Riggan_Adj in the initializers_name.yml file (also check for any other non random species).