In Review Stellaris - 3.0.1 : Menacing ships randomize to blank ship names because use_shipnames_from does not work consistently

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Question

Field Marshal
Jun 11, 2019
Description
3.0.1 : Menacing ships randomize to blank ship names because use_shipnames_from does not work consistently

Game Version

What version do you use?
Paradox Launcher

What expansions do you have installed?

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I just spent more than 4 hours testing this on a fresh installation with no mods enabled, so this DEFINATELY isnt a mod related issue.

I noticed that at some point, clicking "randomize names" for menacing corvettes and destroyers would change to a blank name instead of a randomized name. It was working fine prior to this.

During the course of my testing, i reinstalled Stellaris multiple times, even deleting the entire folder, and also deleted the entire my documents\paradox\stellaris folder to make sure there were no left over files causing problems.

I started numerous fresh games and used the console to give myself 5000 menace and 50k unity to instantly take the "become the crisis" ascencion perk and then used the console command "finish_special_projects" to instantly complete the special project and get access to crisis level 2 for menacing corvettes.

In ONE instance, i was able to randomize ship names for menacing corvettes just fine, but after restarting the game and loading the save, i found that i was suddenly not able to randomize ship names for menacing corvettes. It would just randomize to a blank name.

In more than 10 other cases, every attempt simply resulted in menacing corvettes randomizing to a blank name instead of a corvette random name.

I was testing using the UNE, CM and SPQR name lists.

Oddly enough, the initial auto generated menacing corvette design WILL have a proper corvette random name, but the moment i clicked on "randomize names", i got a blank name instead.

I noticed that menacing ships have code to make them use ship names from other classes, but this does not appear to work properly.

Code:
use_shipnames_from = corvette

This is SUPPOSED to make menacing corvettes use regular corvette ship names, but it is not consistent and most of the time it fails to work.

I edited the human1.txt name_list file (this is for the UNE name list) and added this code :

Code:
crisis_corvette = {
			Aardvark Accentor Adder Albatross Alligator Anaconda Antelope Armadillo Asp Badger Bass Beagle Bloodhound Buffalo Bulldog Buzzard Camel Cheetah Cobra Coyote Dingo Dolphin Dragonfly Dromedary Eagle Elephant Falcon Ferret Firefly Fox Gazelle Glowworm "Grey Wolf" Greyhound Haddock Hawk Jackal Jackdaw Jaguar Kangaroo Kestrel "King Cobra" "King Fish" Ladybird Leopard Lion Lizard Lynx Mongoose Mosquito Narwhal Nighthawk Ocelot Orca Osprey Panther Peacock Pelican Penguin Petrel Platypus Polecat Porcupine Puma Python Rattlesnake Raven Salamander Sardine Scorpion Shark Shrike Skylark Sparrow Spider Starfish Stingray Barracuda Stork Sturgeon Swordfish Tapir Tiger "Tiger Shark" Vulture Walrus Wolverine Apache Aztec Cossack Dervish Druid Highlander Janissary Matador Papillon Parthian Patrician Saracen Sphinx Sultan Tomahawk Viking Zulu Abhay Akshay Akula Soyuz Harrier "Tomoe Gozen" Garuda Yangwei Datong Haifeng Hailong Yongcheng Yinghao Taiyang Chaoyang Qiuxing Guangxing Zhengsheng Taizhao Meihong Wulong Jiangkun Acorn Musketeer Pharaoh Mongol Rickenbacker "John Paul Jones" Doblestnyi Steregushchiy Soobrazitelny "Rodger Young" "Crazy Horse" Richthofen Boyington Fonck Mannock Bishop Kazakov Coppens Brumowski Baracca Hartmann Juutilainen Nishizawa Sakai Shestakov Kozhedub Cantacuzino "Van Lierde" Bong Thach Clostermann Mitralexis Shinohara Iwamoto Mölders Skalski MacLachlan Caldwell Litvyak Yeager McCampbell O'Hare Sealion Balao Gato Doolittle Novikov Uhlan Cataphract Soyokaze Orff Vandal Chameleon Grizzly Gurkha Hoplite Kodiak Piranha Wildcat Hellcat Bearcat Tomcat Kingfisher Cougar Mohawk Blackhawk "Shooting Star" Avocet Sparrowhawk Skua Firecrest Fulmar Arrowhead Condor Goshawk Nicator Samurai Smilodon Whippet Cormorant Ranvir Rajput Rana Toreador McAuliffe Cardinal Nightingale Adler Seahorse Ronin Iguana Redeemer "William Tell" "Sitting Bull" Hiawatha "John Henry" "Paul Bunyan" Cangjie "Dakshin Rai" "Guru Baaje" Madoc Rostam Esfandiar "Juan Valdivia" Yinxi Yennenga "Running Eagle" "Hua Mulan" Yuenü Boudica Ethelfleda Gwenllian Gwendolen Cordelia Andraste Scathach Muirisc Morrigan Badb Macha Teuta "Jeanne Hachette" Atalanta Hippolyta Penthesilea Clorinda Tancred Brunhild Agustina Gordafarid Semiramis Malalai "Shaka Zulu" Lafayette "Reuben James" Nostromo Sulaco Costaguana Ribiera Shashka Sica Jian Dao Zhanmadao Makhaira Falcata Kopis Rhomphaia Kilij Shamshir Kaskara Flyssa Takoba Yatagan Urumi Liuyedao Tachi Khanda Wodao Changdao Yanmaodao Miaodao Chokuto Tsurugi Odachi Wakizashi Uchigatana Shikomizue Firangi Talwar Pata Kastane Macana Khopesh Acinaces Macuahuitl Belawa Nimcha Shotel Krabi Parang Klewang Surik Niabor Mandau Kampilan Gari Panabas Olds Kearsarge Dristigheten
		}

Basically i copied over the corvette name list and specifically assigned it to crisis_corvette.

And VOILA, i was able to randomize menacing corvette ship names just fine but ONLY if i was using the UNE name list.

This seems to suggest that use_shipnames_from isnt working properly.

(Not sure if this makes a difference but i am running in windows 10, on japanese system locale).

Screenshots and some other info can be found in this other thread : https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...hip-names-will-result-in-blank-names.1469086/

Steps to reproduce the issue.
You do not need a save to replicate this. Start a fresh game with the commonwealth prescripted race and use the console to take "become the crisis" and complete the special project instantly, then try randomizing menacing corvette ship names. Save and restart a few times to see if it works for you consistently.

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• paradox.png
    paradox.png
    3,9 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Hello!

Thank you for the report!

We have now added the issue to our bug database.