• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Whether this is closer to Close Combat or WARGAME will decide if I buy it.
From what I've seen so far it looks similar to downscaled Wargame.

That's a shame. The landings are absolutely fascinating and unique (especially Omaha because of the planning failures. Though ultimately successful, it was at great human cost).

This game is about "outsmarting" and "outmanoeuvring" your opponent, not pulling off logistical feats, which landings in most cases were. For this one case of Omaha, there is a very little fascination in a day long machine gun execution and there is a reason why almost no serious strategy games are trying to represent it.

Last edited:
That's a shame. The landings are absolutely fascinating and unique (especially Omaha because of the planning failures. Though ultimately successful, it was at great human cost).
The landings were just SPAM in essence. How much fun could it be just positioning troops to gun down men on the beach as they left the landing craft?? I have played mods in coh and mow2 that depict this and really it's just a matter of seeing if you have enough ammo to destroy the attack before the naval artillery blasts you. It's really fairly boring and one sided. Behind the beaches is where it really gets interesting.

Fair enough. Guess Steel Division is trying to achieve different things.

However. The sixth most highly rated tabletop wargame in the world is actually both on and beyond the beaches (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29603/d-day-omaha-beach)

Of course, it's only interesting from US perspective hence game is solitaire. The game uses fields of fire and a highly detailed terrain to provide meaningful tactical options. At a strategic level you can change the timing of the landing to take into account tides, daylight for bombardments, etc. You also have to balance removing beach obstacles vs getting your first wave off the beach.

It might not be right for Steel Division, but it's surprising to see people dismiss the gameplay potential in the subject matter.

This game is about "outsmarting" and "outmanoeuvring" your opponent, not pulling off logistical feats, which landings in most cases were. For this one case of Omaha, there is a very little fascination in a day long machine gun execution and there is a reason why almost no serious strategy games are trying to represent it.

(bold mine)

We do not dismiss it, it's just not suitable for this level of abstraction.

You're own response seems especially dismissive to me. Think I'll be moving on to games with a more friendly community. Plenty more games out there.

Last edited:
No solid info, But I'd guess April-May-June. Eugen doesn't announce games until they are almost ready to release, and Steel Division already had a limited beta. So very soon :)

As long as they don't do what Paradox LOVES to do and announce it like 2 months prior that it's like coming out in like June and that's all they say and as soon as June roles around they say it's coming out June 30th. It drives me mental. The last day of the month is not that month, it's basically the next month. And considering the time zones, for me it IS the next month... Don't say it's coming out in XX month and when that month roles around say it's coming out on the last day of said month!