• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kartebi

Captain
88 Badges
Aug 25, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities in Motion
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
There is a mod in the workshop called "FPS BOOSTER FIX 2.0"
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1348004050

I downloaded it and used winmerge to see what he did
All files are identical to base game

All posts made by me and others pointing at the issue where deleted by the author. That means he knows what he is doing.
I wasn't going to bother until i saw that he has 1,225 subscribers ... and a patreon page for his mod....
This is obviously a poor attempt to scam some people for money through the patreon page.

Have you reported it ?

If what you claim is true it must violate the Steam online conduct rules.

For some reason meme mods that do abosolutely nothing always end up on the frontpage as the "most popular" while real mods never make it to that page. This is really a bad thing for the community.

Come on, any sane person can tell it's an april fool. Released 31st March, updated 11th April ....

Also turning off v-sync as advised there should boost FPS ....

Come on, any sane person can tell it's an april fool. Released 31st March, updated 11th April ....

Also turning off v-sync as advised there should boost FPS ....
Any sane person can tell that asking for donations on an april fools mod is not appropriate. To say the least.

Hi everyone, thanks for the heads up, we'll have a look at this!
If it makes it easier, the mod contains 8 files: 2 event files and 5 lua files that are identical to those of patch 1.5.2 of HOI4 and the mod descriptor.

The mod steam page claims it improves the performance of the game and adds scripts improving the AI.

There is a mod in the workshop called "FPS BOOSTER FIX 2.0"
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1348004050

I downloaded it and used winmerge to see what he did
All files are identical to base game

All posts made by me and others pointing at the issue where deleted by the author. That means he knows what he is doing.
I wasn't going to bother until i saw that he has 1,225 subscribers ... and a patreon page for his mod....
This is obviously a poor attempt to scam some people for money through the patreon page.

Thanks for the report from the community @kartebi

You can always use the steam report function on fishy mods. We have people working on those reports.

The author also has a second FPS booster mod up on the workshop that links to the removed one.
Then it's clear it wasn't an April's Fools joke :D

This thread though shows easy it is to be conned into downloading a useless mod, and sometimes they can contain malicious code. So never download something that looks sketchy or has bad reviews or none at all.

I actually reported it on April the 2nd I think.

Anyhows, the author deserves credit for striving to delete every negative comment or comment saying that it does nothing.

For some reason meme mods that do abosolutely nothing always end up on the frontpage as the "most popular" while real mods never make it to that page. This is really a bad thing for the community.

Steams algorithms promote mods that get many ratings. Memes get a lot of ratings compared to subscribers. Now, a good portion of them are negative, so they eventually fall off. For example my Donald Trump voiceover mod got to the frontpage pretty easilly - many people rating it. But after the first week it's impossible to find since with 10% downvotes it's far behind on the 3 month list.

The larger and more complex a mod is, the larger the chances of there being both things certain players find disagreeable, and the larger chance of there being steam-induced corruption of files that leads to crashes. Hence it's more difficult to get attention for a big mod than a mod that adds some new portraits or a 3D model.