[Steam ; Windows 10] Game does not start properly after clicking 'play' on launcher

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pommesbudenelvis

Recruit
17 Badges
Sep 11, 2020
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hello there,

I wish my first post in this forum wasn't about the game not starting, but what can you do, right?

Anyways, I have bought EUIV a long time ago, but never had the time to actually play.
So to answer the first question, which may come up: no, it has never run on my laptop. *sadface*
I have tried many things written in this forum, but none helped. The only things that changed seem to be the errors.

This is what happened when I tried to start the game for the first time:
I click play on steam, the launcher opens, then I click on play and the game 'starts'.
Basically the game opens and freezes without showing me anything, I only see my desktop but the application is shown in my taskbar. The desktop is frozen.
The first error message I got was:
'Failed to create a graphics device. This might be because you have more than one screen/graphics card.
You could try to write adapter=1 in the settings.txt file.'
I clicked 'ok', and tried to close the application via Task Manager (on my laptop screen, the other screen on which the game "runs" was frozen).

Right after that I got the next error message:
'The graphics card detected does not support Shader Model 3.0.
Europa Universalis IV require at least Shader Model 3.0 to work properly.'
I clicked on 'ok' again and actually closed the application via Task Manager. (the game is show as 'no response' in the task manager)

After that I reinstalled the graphics card driver (Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060) and rebooted my laptop.
I try to start the game again and don't get these error messages anymore.

But still the game does not start, basically nothing changed except the fact, that music is playing in the background now and I get a different error message from the Paradox Crash Reporter.
'An error has occured and the application quit unexpectedly. A crash report has been generated which could help us to fix the issue in a future release.'
(Of course I sent the crash report)

I tried various other things:
- installed all of the Microsoft modules
- tried running the game via the EUIV.exe
- tried running the game in borderless fullscreen ( here I can see the 'Europa Universalis IV' screen, but soon after it closes down again and freezes again)
- tried running the game in windowed mode
- fresh new installation of the game
- tried running the game in 1920 x 1080 fullscreen.

There is one thing I cannot try and that is running the game on 640 x 480 in compability mode. The option is greyed out for me.

I don't know what to do anymore to be honest, but maybe I can get help after posting my problem directly.

I have attached the DxDiag.txt but unfortunately I couldn't find the system.log
Oh yes before I forget: I don't have RivaTuner, RadeonPro, or a gaming VPN app called Evolve, or the MSI Gaming App, or Duet installed on my laptop, I have checked my applications overview.

Seems like this is a very long post, but I don't know what information is crucial and which isn't.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    144,4 KB · Views: 0
The game is crashing in the video driver:
+++ WER1 +++:
Fehlerbucket , Typ 0
Ereignisname: APPCRASH
Antwort: Nicht verfügbar
CAB-Datei-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:
P1: eu4.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 5f4d744c
P4: nvoglv64.dll

Please try this:

- uninstall the existing driver
- reboot
- install the latest by fresh download from here:
- reboot again

Good luck with that!

First of all thanks for your reply!

I did as instructed but it seems like it did not solve the problem.
Do I need to start the game in a certain way? For example not using the launcher or launching the game in normal fullscreen?

Is it normal that I cannot find the system.log file?

Edit: maybe I should specify what I did:

- Uninstalled the existing driver via the management tool
- reboot
- installed the latest driver via the link you gave me (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060)
- reboot
- tried to start the game

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    143 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
In the game launcher please set Display mode to Borderless. Does that help?

• 1Like
Reactions:
First of all, sorry for the late reply!
Was busy with work and had to limit my time.

Yes that actually helped... Should have been possible to come to that conclusion myself....
Anyways thanks for the help, I can finally play now :D