• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LordRiker

Corporal
Jun 4, 2002
Visit site
Im having a problem with HOI 3, as according to the steam forums, alot of other users.

I purchased this game long ago, and i cannot install it from steam. It gives a error "An error occured installing Hearts of Iron 3( Content still encrpyted).

I tried unchecking all the DLC from installing, clearing the steam cache, reinstalling, even attempting to instal HOI 3 on my laptop and desktop, and nothing. I verified its listed in my Paradox account and my steam account is linked.

Anyone have any ideas? It seems to be the same problem for many users, interestingly, it seems people who buy HOI3 brand new on steam, don't have this problem, just people who have bought it long ago.

Thanks for any help

Hmmm, I've not heard of this before with steam - but from a quick browse around...

Things to try:

Reinstall steam (you don't have to delete whatever games you have just steam)

Disable steam beta.

If that doesn't work - look around for steam's config files (and client.blob) in the steam folder and nix those manually. (--- that's my go to fix for any time steam does weird stuff.

Those seemed to be the two things that people kept bringing up :( Some people also suggested that opting into the steam beta, then restarting, and then opting out of steam beta, and then rebooting once more, fixed it somehow lol.

It could also be that your steam client is from before the "common" folder became the default for steam files and you've got something weird happening - so a reinstall might work in that case if you can put up with the hassle of dragging your games around.

Other things people brought up:

Disabling anti-virus software for install period

Make sure you're running as administrator if you're on a version of windows that has that function.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have went through those suggestions, on both my laptop and desktop PC, and unfortunatly none of it seems to have fixed this problem. Im on Windows 10 Home on my laptop and Windows 10 Pro on my desktop, if that makes any difference.

Having the same issue. I contacted steam support, but they probably won't get back to me in a while. Tried a bunch of different things, hopefully there is a solution.

This was one of the reasons I instantly bought a disc version (when I saw it on sale).
I am independent from steam.:)

Sadly this doesnt solve your problem.:(

Since this is not the first complaint about steam and their general policy regarding older games, try contact paradox and tell them how good Steam is.;)

The other thing to try is searching the Support Forum here. I've found it far more useful than the Steam Support forum. Try looking for 'Windows 10', or a specific error message. This might be an older problem (when many people converted to Windows 10) that has an easy fix. I'm still on Windows 7, and only because WIn XP is no longer supported, even if it is still the heart of my outdated machine.

There seems to have been a problem with the app on steam. Steam has looked at the problem and now the game seems to be downloading. Please check if it works for you.

Reactions: