Status and Future of Paradox Multiplayer

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HottestRod

Associate Product Marketing Manager
May 14, 2018
We think that is important for members of our community be able to play with each other online no matter where they buy their game. This is not the case right now. For example, if you buy Imperator: Rome from GOG, you can currently only play with other GOG customers or people who play with a Paradox Store purchase. Likewise, people who use a Steam account to play the game can only play with other Steam customers (or people who buy from the Paradox Store but redeem the code on Steam).

We are working on a solution to this tricky problem by building our own backend to handle multiplayer requests, but to unify the games under one system we need to have a common connection. To this end, we will be using your personal Paradox Accounts as the player identity. So, even though this system is not yet in place, we are asking you to log in to your Paradox account when you initiate a multiplayer game.

We are currently investigating if it is possible to have a viable multiplayer beta branch active in Imperator, like the one currently active for Stelllaris. Once we have more information, we will let you know.

In the meantime, if you want to conquer the Mediterranean with your friends, be sure that you all are buying from compatible online stores!

We appreciate the patience of our community, and hope to have a technical solution as soon as possible.

Whilst doesn't effect myself (don't have the time to invest), sounds like a great move. However is there actually a large enough player base across all systems to make this viable?

Keep thinking; wouldn't it be better to devote the $$$ to other products?

Whilst doesn't effect myself (don't have the time to invest), sounds like a great move. However is there actually a large enough player base across all systems to make this viable?

Keep thinking; wouldn't it be better to devote the $$$ to other products?

There was a post ages ago, showing that a fairly significant chunk of Paradox customers use multiplayer, so yes, it probably is a perfectly viable thing to do.

There was a post ages ago, showing that a fairly significant chunk of Paradox customers use multiplayer, so yes, it probably is a perfectly viable thing to do.

Probably wasn't clear. What I was asking is whether the multiplayer base is large across all platforms / systems. If most are on Steam, then why waste development $$$ if (say) GoG is insignificant?

Don't misunderstand, I think its a good thing, just curious whether this is the best use of the time.

I don`t play multiplayer (except GTA games) i love playing Paradox games in single player. I think "Paradox" is doing a great thing with their multiplayer, as you know "Paradox" is always looking out for the community. Keep up the good work, Paradox.

@HottestRod

I hope you're not creating something exclusive and completely replacing existing systems but in-addition to them,
I don't mind PDX-central system, but in case of any failures or future decommissions (ie. Burnout Paradise servers are being switched off soon and so it's multiplayer), would be nice if Steam or GoG layers stay as an option as well.

btw. probably too late, if you announced it, but would be great if you're using Valve's GameNetworkSocket's, it would improve compatibility with less effort to maintain it yourself:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/GameNetworkingSockets

Probably wasn't clear. What I was asking is whether the multiplayer base is large across all platforms / systems. If most are on Steam, then why waste development $$$ if (say) GoG is insignificant?

Don't misunderstand, I think its a good thing, just curious whether this is the best use of the time.
Well there might be, but even if it is not that big, it Shows that PDX is interested in their fans, so it might be reasonable in way to promote the good Feelings we have with PDX games.

Will a game played through the paradox launcher be able to join a multiplayer session with someone on steam? I'm really looking forward to not having to use steam.

Not wanting, or needing, to play multi-player this does not specifically concern me. In fact, I had not been aware of the restriction between different issuers of the games - since they are all Paradox games they SHOULD be compatible. This seems to be a case of different versions of the games being issued to different suppliers, which may then raise other issues regarding the games and support.

how is that counted exactly? I've been in multiplayer games for HoI4, and EU4. The grand total hours spent was about 2. maybe 3. Contrast to 1015 hours for both games.

Am I counted as a multiplayer user?

How long will it take you approximately? Because I definitely will play multiplayer a lot and have bought the game on GOG, but many friends have it on Steam. I need to know to ask for a refund or not before release day

Please ensure that preventive measures are used to thwart ghosting grief players in EU4.
A what now? Can't you just set a password on the MP game to prevent some random troll from hotjoining as some country and wrecking it?
Unless the password protection doesn't actually work in practice, then I don't think money should be used on developing some kind of system to monitor countries during an MP game, as that both sounds like it'd slow down the game, plus that'd mean less money for developing other things.

This kinda stuff is what keeps me loyal to PDX.