• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredrik II

Paradox Interactive
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Sep 15, 2003
www.paradoxplaza.com
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Majesty 2
  • Victoria 2
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
Hello all, there has been problems with the Sword of the Stars 2 release and for this we apologize. This should have been handled in a much more professional way from both us and the developer.

There has been version problems on Steam, and we are working on updating this version 24x7 from both the development and publishing team. Patching is in process for all known errors.

I can personally guarantee we will work on the game until it works as it should be, and in the meantime all I can say is that we should have done this better. Our sincere apologies.

Expect a response and status update from the developer as soon as they are ready with more information (which should be soon). Thanks for your patience.

---
Fred Wester
CEO Paradox Interactive

It's a mess, and Paradox and Kerberos know it. The particulars of why it happened the way it did are really less important at this stage than making sure that you all get the game you expected and the game you deserve. I know that many people on the development, production and marketing teams have been pulling very late nights and will for the next few weeks to address concerns, get a quality build of Sword of the Stars II out and hopefully restore the trust that both Paradox and Kerberos have worked hard to build.

This is not a game that is going to be left unfixed or unaddressed or unimproved. We all believe in Sword of the Stars II and believe that the team can deliver an excellent gaming experience. There has been some confusion, some hiccups, and some legitimate failures on our parts.

But if you know anything about Paradox and Kerberos it's that they know that their livelihood is based on listening to the concerns and complaints of their communities. Both have developers and producers actively engaging in discussions, answering questions and trying to find solutions. If there is no quick and satisfactory reply, it's often because the last thing they want to do is put out more confusion or misleading information.

We hear you. We understand you. We're sorry. We'll fix it.

Thanks for your honest and straight-forward replies. We are not running a cash-and-grab business with SotS2 as suggested above, but are looking to develop the game over the coming years. As a 4X gamer myself I share your frustration and will talk to the devs asking for an update so we can get the game into the state it should be.

Technically you can do all that, even if it isn't particularly easy, unless you're one of the unfortunate people who can't get into the game at all, so I don't think it's the best benchmark. Latest news we have from Kerberos is there will be a patch on Monday and then they'll plan where to go for the next patch. By next week the game should be better, but in what exact ways we do not know yet.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: Tongue in cheek.

◦Lead one of six playable factions, including a completely new one, as you strive for galactic dominance.
◦Unravel highly detailed star systems featuring planetary orbits, moons, asteroid belts, and different space terrain.
◦Experience the new graphics engine.
◦Choose between entirely new vessels, or build your own with new levels of ship detail, including specific sub-systems, allowing for new fleet strategies and tactics.
◦Explore an advanced technology system as the game begins in the Fusion era and moves beyond the Anti-matter era.
◦Randomizing options in technology removes the unavoidable “optimal path” making the game more replayable
◦Command your empire by exploring new solar systems, improving diplomatic relations or destroying a race
◦Engage in fierce multiplayer battles with up to 8 players.

1. You can start as any of the 6 races? Yup. You can strive? Yup.
2. You can unveil star systems, although space terrain was cut. Mostly passed.
3. You can experience the new graphics engine? Yup.
4. You can choose between pre-made vessals or design your own? Check!
5. The tech tree does start at Fusion and goes past AM. You can explore it!
6. Tech tree has randomized bits? Indeed!
7. You can explore or do diplo, not sure you can actually destroy an enemy race, but you can certainly start a game and abandon all colonies, destroying yourself. It only has to be "a race" which is destroyed, so passed!
8. Hmm, I know people are playing MP, I do not know if any game has 8 players involved...Let's pass it until confirmed otherwise.

Technically passed on all! None of them say you need to finish a game. Game is perfect! :)

Seriously though, we know it needs a bunch of work, and as the OP states:
I can personally guarantee we will work on the game until it works as it should be, and in the meantime all I can say is that we should have done this better.

Really? That's how you treat a pissed off customer? Snark? Why don't you just hire a bunch of teenagers for PR while you're at it. If I said that to any patient I'd get sacked before I had time to blink. Although I am seeing people freaking out about this game more than broken limbs : P

You do know that the ": p" you've used in both your previous posts is commonly meant to denote a teasing tone, right? If you want an entirely serious reply you might want to avoid it. Given the apparent humour in your tone I thought I would reply in the same manner, while at the same time pointing out pointing out that a simple checking of features isn't the best benchmark.

Mate, I know that you, being the member of Paradox, would want to defend the game, but please do not act like the game is playable or as if the game was released finished.

Please point out where I said anything of the sort?

I'm sorry you don't like my posts, they are not required reading though, feel free to skip over them! ;)

Xmas: Us on the Dev side have literally nothing to do with SotS, other than some of us playing it.

Also, what Robrecht said.

I have nothing against you personally, but you come across as if you are playing a game with all features working properly, with no bugs and as if the whole debacle of "we promised you a complete game and here it is LIE" didn't happen at all.

You do say in your posts that game is incomplete, but nowhere do you address the main issue that bothers us, the fact that we were deceived and lied to by, at least the developer, if not Paradox as well.

If it helps, I am sorry the game is in its current state. I'm a huge SotS fan, and I've been waiting for this release for a long time, so I'm as disappointed as anyone at the moment. I'm not sure how I have given the impression I don't think the game has bugs, but let me be clear: It has lots, and it's not something I can enjoying playing yet. No one involved is happy with this and everyone is working to improve it as soon as possible.

I can't address your main issue, but there are a number of threads, including this one where our CEO, publishing people, and Kerberos say we're sorry about the release and it'll be fixed ASAP, those are the best I can offer you right now.

Saying sorry about the release and saying "we knew game was unfinished, but we acted like it was and we told you that it was and then charged you money- sorry about that" is not the same.

Well, the facts of the matter are you have bought a game you are not happy with, there's a refund thread here, or there should be a patch on Monday and an update from the devs about what they plan to do.

Hi guys!

Just wanted to let you know that your support means everything to us and that we are determined to fix the current problems as soon as we can.

Please hang in there and thank you.

Cheers,
Dannie

Status
Not open for further replies.