• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

IronMongrel

Corporal
73 Badges
Feb 14, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
Most times I try to launch this game, it fails. It either freezes at an all white screen, or it freezes during "Initializing Game...". I haven't been able to find any solutions, but it's very frustrating, and it's been a problem for a very long time. It's been going on for at least a year for me. No updates help it, and I haven't found any solutions through my good friend the Google. It's not a hardware issue, as I've both had this issue with 2 different PCs now as well as having had just upgraded to a top of the line PC. I still have troubles launching this game. I'd really like a solution, but I'm not very optimistic that one will be found. :-/

Right click on ck3.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.

Then in the launcher Game Settings menu, select fullScreen display mode, Vsync off, cap refresh rate at 60.

If those don't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log , exceptions.log

In that dxdiag I see our game Stellaris crashing in nakama-cpp.dll , which has caused problems before. Try unloading that utility, or prevent it running at boot time then reboot.

If that doesn't help, what happens if you run ck3.exe directly from file explorer? Do you see any Windows error then?

I'm not sure what nakama-cpp.dll is associated with, but I couldn't find anything in my startup or currently running processes named nakama anything at all.

I'll try launching via the exe directly in the future and let you know if I'm getting crashes or long hang times on initializing (sometimes it can sit on that screen for 5-10 minutes before actually launching the game, other times it won't launch at all).

*Edit*

I've tried launching via the exe directly and am having the same issues.

Last edited:
Sorry, my error, I was thinking of Nahimic! Nakama is the external MP service we use, so that's not the issue here. That said I've not seen any crash in it before ...

Did you see any Windows error when ck3.exe failed to start? or what happened exactly?

What if you make a new Windows user and log into Windows with that - do you get the same problems with this game?

I'm running out of ideas on this one, I have to admit.

What antivirus app do you use? Is ck3.exe in all its exceptions lists?

Please install and run the free utility Speccy. Send its output to a text file and attach that here, thanks.

Go into Ransomware. Enable Controlled Folder Access if disabled, and add these to its Apps Allowed Through list:

ck3.exe (in the Steam CK3-binaries folder)
dowser.exe (in the Steam CK3-launcher folder)
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2023.4.1/paradox launcher.exe
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/bootstrapper-v2.exe

If that doesn't help, you can disable Controlled Folder Access again.

Disable the Discord overlay.

Right click on Documents in the left column of File Explorer, just under This PC there. Go to properties, location. What does it say in there?

I am sorry, I cannot see what is wrong on this machine or Windows installation to prevent our game starting.

I take it Stellaris and EU4 work okay for you?

That does NOT sound good! My instinct at this point would be to recommend a Windows Reset at the least, plus a thorough check of hardware.

How do you feel about those ideas?

I don't think that I'm going to do that.

I ran a RAM diagnostic today because I was suspicious of my new RAM, but it came back clean. I might try running some benchmarks on my processor and gpu for a while to see if they're functioning correctly under load, but I'm not sure whether a problem with my hardware would be likely to crash to desktop rather than giving me system errors completely.