• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(163252)

Sergeant
1 Badges
Sep 5, 2009
  • Majesty 2
Does anybody know how to start the editor in Majesty 2?

Creating a shortcut and adding -editor at the end of the target line just seems to start the game as normal. I added the -editor after the quotation mark because if I put it in inside the quotation marks it gives me an error.

Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you check rogueleader's post? You need to add filed: -editor to your shortcut, so it would look like:

"C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Majesty 2\Majesty2.exe" filed: -editor

I think you missed the "filed: " part. :p Not sure what you have to do after that though, still looks like the same game to me, hopefully someone who's done it can help.

Well - i feel suckered.. LOL.

I held off buying the game cause it was missing random maps. Then i saw a thread where someone creates a map with the "editor".. so i figured.. hey.. no random maps, but i can make my own, and there is a patch out fixing some crashes.
So i go and buy the game. And now it seems the first patch has removed the one feature that had me interested.

Nice. :rofl:

I was wondering if one forgoes to patching majesty, you should be able to still access the editor. But like Dumble Dwarf said it is maybe the intent of 1c to take it out completely for now. So technically you can still access the editor, but it is not supported right now by 1c. And we have no word right now that we are not allowed to use the editor so maybe any potential modders can just uninstall the patch and play vanilla majesty, unless 1c specifically says not to use the editor, which would be a shame.

We don't know why the took it out (or even if they did, maybe you have to start it in a different way) but there may have been a good reason for it. It could be that it was an accident and their license doesn't allow access, so they had to take it out or get sued. Or, a management team that doesn't understand how powerful modding is for sales. Or, they're working on the big patch they talked about for making our own campaigns and don't want unsupported work coming out. Or, etc.

I was pretty surprised when I heard about the problems with the patch, since they gave us an official modding forum, and even tweeted the mission I made. It all seems contrary to a company that wants to take away our ability to do modding :)

I think the best thing to do is start hacking on the patch and see if the editor is really gone, and/or politely e-mail Paradox telling them how you feel about it. It could be that some community support makes a difference, it wouldn't be the first time.

It's easy to think the worst. Then again, they could be cleaning it up for 'official' release, so everyone can get on board the modding scene; the initial editor was hardly user-friendly, you have to admit. Though this could mean losing access to-for instance-the Ice Mage till their official release.

We can't know. It's still been such a short time since release.

The editor itself might still in the code someplace, but clearly -editor is no longer a valid command line switch (which would be a very simple thing to add to the patch).
I hadn't considered the possibility that it might be licensed software. If that is the case, I'd bet it's gone for good (and it kind of explains why the switch was removed without any mention of it).
If not, then it might show up in a more refined form as part of some kind of M2 builder expansion later on.
Well, at least we know an official editor is a possibility at some point.