Star League equipment in Campaign?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chaosticket

Corporal
Aug 9, 2020
Its the first time Ive played the Battletech campaign. Im nearing the end I think. The whole time Ive been hoping to find Lostech Battlemechs and equipment to upgrade my team. Instead Im forced to just get bigger mechs, so now Im salvaging Assaults mechs.

Ive read that there are 2 Royal Battlemechs gained through the campaign. Ive also looked at the patch notes and I became ecstatic with the 1.9 patch listing new SLDF models of the Griffin, Warhammer, Marauder, Black Knight and others.

But Im not finding any lostech in the random missions as enemies or rewards. Is the lostech just a tease?

The next best thing, the +++ models of weapons are super random drops so I dont put much stock in finding them, let alone enough to actually equip a whole lance. I got an Atlas before any LRM +++

The Star League (SLDF) Mechs seem to show up in the stores. You won't find them being fielded except for that certain Campaign mission. Therefore if you are looking to salvage them, that isn't going to be possible.

I think full SLDF Mechs and parts are most common in Faction Stores. I recommend Black Market membership since you don't have to ally with a House, but House Faction stores will work too. I THINK you can find them in regular stores, but it is very rare (or maybe it is just the Atlas II and SLDF Highlander for regular stores...not sure)

Below is campaign spoilers if you choose to read it...
In the Campaign there is a mission where you command reactivated SLDF Mechs. A Griffin, Black Knight, Atlas II, and Highlander. After the mission you are gifted the Highlander, while Lady Arano fields the Atlas II for the remainder of the campaign. At the end of the campaign, she will also gift you her Atlas II.

Reactions:
Star League 'Mechs and equipment show up in black market stores quite often. Since I'm not allied with a faction, I can't compare with faction stores, but I don't think I've seen many black market stores (if any) that DID NOT have at least a couple of SL (+ or + +) weapons or a SL 'Mech or parts.

Also, normal SL weapons (not +) and Double Heatsinks can sometimes be found in systems with the Former Star League Presence tag.

Finally, SL Mech parts, weapons and equipment can sometimes be acquired as part of Flashpoint end rewards - in addition to the campaign rewards mentioned by MeiSooHaityu.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Excluding what happens in the Restoration Campaign hidden under the “Spoiler” button in @MeiSooHaityu previous reply above, the only way to get either a complete chassis or three Salvage Parts of any of the NINE (yes, indeed, NINE) SLDF BattleMechs available in the unmodded game is purchasing them from a black market store, OR as Flashpoint Rare reward. No faction store has ever had any complete SLDF Mech nor any Salvage Part of them in stock for sale, unfortunately.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That is my experience. I spent years in game time killing Pirates by the Dozens. I traveled the circuit around the map two or three times looking at the Former Star League planet stores and still only had the two "b" models that came with the Campaign. I was finally able to resurrect my Reputation with the Pirates so I could access the Black Market ad after four jumps I had five Star League monsters.

• 1Like
Reactions:
When it comes to running a Merc company, it pays to be a scoundrel. Getting your hands dirty and being essentially a crook really pays off with the Black Market.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sadly, I also prioritize getting in good with the pirates. You have to be careful as some locations seem to be all about attacking pirates. Somehow I’ve even been offered an alliance with them. Tempting, but I know you go to hated status with everybody else. Is there a pirate-faction FP?

Sadly, I also prioritize getting in good with the pirates. You have to be careful as some locations seem to be all about attacking pirates. Somehow I’ve even been offered an alliance with them. Tempting, but I know you go to hated status with everybody else. Is there a pirate-faction FP?

There is no real good reason to ally with them as far as I am aware. There isn't a Pirate Faction Flashpoint, and with the Black Market being available without allying with them, it is just a good idea to be on liked or friendly terms. Something to keep bribes cheap and having good options when being confronted by authorities.

Hey, even Han Solo shot first and was a smuggler. Overall "Good guys" can be a bit shady.

I cant get any Star League equipment, because that is tied to the Black Market. I cant use the Black Market because its tied to the Pirates, who are at -100 reputation for me. If I had designed the game I would not have tied all the Tier 2 technology with one shop, and that shop in the game with the Always Evil Guys in the Battletech universe.
Where's the lostech salvage options?

So the honeymoon is over. I have 7 campaign missions left to complete the campaign. However Ive basically reached the cap before then. Assault mech lance, a slow but steady amount of+3 equipment salvaged, and pilots are all 10s.

Beat the campaign, get the Atlas II, and then use Mods.

Yes. I did the same thing. The Arano Restoration really dislikes Pirates. I did find some great pieces of equipment at some of the former Star League worlds, but the Priates have the best gear by far.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I sometimes wonder if the difference between pirates and mercenaries (at least in The Periphery) are as small as whether they are members of the MRB or not :).

I sometimes wonder if the difference between pirates and mercenaries (at least in The Periphery) are as small as whether they are members of the MRB or not :).
Are they willing to work for/with one of the great houses? Then they're a mercenary. If not, they're a "pirate".

• 1Like
Reactions:
Pirates are the Rape, Cannabalize, and Enslave type in Battletech.

They're not the Disney type of pirates. They're the Reavers from Firefly and Raiders from Fallout.

They may not be Disney Pirates, but they have a better "Gift Shop" :D. The Black Market can't be beat.

Matter of fact, I am doing some shifting of funds and assets to try and buy a very sweet Marauder 2R residing in the Black Market at the current system I am in. 18+ Million C-Bills is rich, but I think I can pull it off without going bankrupt lol. Just barely though.

They may not be Disney Pirates, but they have a better "Gift Shop" :D. The Black Market can't be beat.

Matter of fact, I am doing some shifting of funds and assets to try and buy a very sweet Marauder 2R residing in the Black Market at the current system I am in. 18+ Million C-Bills is rich, but I think I can pull it off without going bankrupt lol. Just barely though.

Look for Black Market Shops that have all of the parts for the Mech that you want. If you buy a MAD-2R in 3 parts the total is barely 6 million or so.

• 1Like
Reactions: