• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Prufrock451

A Footnote
44 Badges
Apr 22, 2002
www.buckyogi.com
  • Victoria 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • For The Glory
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
Mar 15,151: I get Naval (715), and I begin construction of a Death Star.

Jan 15,152: Unhappiness among peasantry!

Mar 15,152: Death Star completed: I put it under the command of a conquistador (Tarkin 4/3/3, Siege 999) and start exploring the Outer Rim.

Apr 15,152: I get the “Abolish the Imperial Senate” event. I go with Abolish and take the stab hit. +1 to Aristocracy and Serfdom, -2 stability, but I need the gold.

Jun 15,152: I get hit by a rebellion in Alderaan province, and I move the Death Star back. I assault the province (minimal fortifications) and turn it into PTI. Crap- there goes my BB rating…

Jul 15,152: My Trade Federation vassals inform me they’re at war with the New Republic, and ask for me to join the war. I do so, but I can’t do much cause the Trade Federation won’t give me their %#$!ing maps. I start exploring again with the Death Star.

Aug 15,152: Well, I discovered a New Republic colonial city in Yavin province. I assault the province (minimal fortifications again) but they kill my Death Star, and my conquistador! Luckily, my general Vader (5/5/5) that I had with a cavalry force in Yavin managed to retreat and I pulled him back to Coruscant, where I’m putting together a new army. I got Land (688- AT-AT), so the army’s stats should be decent. Meanwhile, I send out a couple of small forces to keep exploring the Outer Rim.

Jan 15,155: Discovered a Republic colony in Hoth province. Hoth has really high attrition in winter, so I decide to assault (General Veers, 4/2/2) rather than try a siege. I take the colony, but they defeat my naval force and I’m forced to retreat. I lose the Admiral (Ozzel 2/2/2- not a big loss) to attrition. The New Republic’s naval forces pull back into TI, and now I’ve got to do more exploring. Great.

May 15,155: Meteor sighted.

Jun 15,155: Commissioned some privateers.

July 15,155: War exhaustion starting to take its toll. Revolts in Mon Calamari, Botha. Can’t really do much right now, since I’m still pulling my main army out of Hoth province.

Aug 15,155: I offer annexation to my vassals in Bespin. They refuse, and since it’s a pretty rich province, I take the stab hit to break our alliance and use Vader to assault the province and annex it.

Dec 15,155: Bad government policies. Such wonderful timing…

Feb 15,156: I start building a new Death Star. I move my navy to Endor (got a new Admiral, Piett 3/3/2), where I’ve got a trading post, and offload some ground troops. I plan on building up Endor and using it as a base for exploration, since I’m sure the New Republic’s core provinces are somewhere close.

Aug 15,156: Mon Calamari and Botha defect to the New Republic! I really should have taken care of that. I split my main army in half and send one group marching to Botha. I’ll get Mon Calamari later. I’m not too worried, since it’s a low tax value province, producing fish.

Dec 15,156: Rebels seize Sullust, and there’s a New Republic fleet off the coast there now. Crap. I start raising a new army. They’ll be able to take that easily while the rebels control it. War exhaustion’s getting really bad: revolt risk is now at 5% in my core provinces. I offer peace to the New Republic, asking for 50 ducats. They refuse! What the hell? I control two of their provinces, and I burned their TP in Dantooine! Stupid AI.

Feb 15,156: Just built the Death Star and moved it to Endor. My king’s a historical leader (Palpatine 6/6/6), and I’ve got him and Vader on the Death Star. Just when I’ve almost got them offloaded onto Endor, my fleet’s attacked by the New Republic. They beat me again and sink the whole fleet! I really don’t believe this, cause I’ve got them outnumbered over 4 to 1!!! (Is this fixed in 1.05?) So I lose all my leaders, except for Admiral Thrawn (5/5/5) who’s on the other side of the map, I lose my Death Star, and the natives, who have Very Low morale, rise up and destroy my colony in Endor. Crap.

Mar 15,156: “Collapse of the Galactic Empire” event. Rebels everywhere. Agh. I start building a new cavalry army, but my manpower pool is empty…

So I don’t know. My treasury’s empty, my forces are split up all over the place, and I’m not going to be able to fight all these rebels let alone the New Republic. I’ve still got a fairly good-sized army with Admiral Thrawn… do you think I should keep playing?

I thought of that, but I've only played the Galactic Empire in the "A New Hope" scenario, never in the Grand Campaign. So there's a "Assassinate Padme" event in the GC that will sleep the leaders for the New Republic? Cool. I may try that, but I'm kind of busy IRL. I figure I should be able to write up an AAR for the Galactic Empire GC in, say, 2005... :D

I tried hacking the files to bring back Palpatine, but I think I screwed something up! There's more than one Palpatine, and they keep piling up! Back to the drawing board.

Alright, that's the last reference I'm going to make to non-canonical Dark Horse comics.

Dude, you really should have made some kind of overtures to the Correllians. They're an unruly mob, but they've got colonies scattered all over the sector and a few spice producing CoTs, so a couple of State Gifts should have brought you a decent +30 rel. - enough to go for an RM.

And looks like you got suckered with the 'Kenobi dies and Joins the Force' event - you didn't pick the 'Vader and Kenobi one-on-one' option rather than 'Stormtroopers open fire with all they've got' did you? Jeez, rookie mistake, but you'll know next time.

And if you do play the full IGC (Imperial Grand Campaign), don't kill Amidala when you get the chance, otherwise you'll never see the 'Anakin Skywalker can't get his end away so turns to the Dark Side' event, which means Vader will never appear - and hoo, boy, are you in some trouble then...

Good luck with it all...

Thsi is excellent stuff!! :)

on the Death Star. Just when I’ve almost got them offloaded onto Endor, my fleet’s attacked by the New Republic. They beat me again and sink the whole fleet! I really don’t believe this, cause I’ve got them outnumbered over 4 to 1!!! (Is this fixed in 1.05?)

:D

ROTFLMAO! :D

That's simply priceless...the best log-style AAR I've read in ages.

I take it you were playing on furious level?

Though you didn't mention it in the AAR, I'm guessing that at the same time the New Republic attacked you at Endor you also had a native uprising in the colony. That's pretty unusual because Endor's natives are only a 1 or 2 aggressiveness level aren't they? That must have really sucked.

It's hard to tell whether your defeat at Endor is a 1.04 bug (maybe you should try reporting it in the bug-reporting forum :D) but I doubt it'll be fixed until 1.06 if it is. Maybe it's one of those hard-coded AI cheats, though? My other thought is I notice that you're already at naval tech 715 but you're only at land tech 688. That's pretty low for that point of the game. Presumably you've been sticking most of your research into infrastructure...

Or maybe it's one of those newbie mistakes where you forget that you've dropped your maintenence down to 50% and don't put it back up to 100% for the war? Of course that does happen sometimes when someone sneak-attacks you.

What were your DP settings? If you were heavy serfdom and heavy naval maybe your morale is just too low to go fighting those New Republic armies without outnumbering them 1,000:1 since they're usually scripted to max land, max free subjects so they get some pretty hefty bonuses.

I've been meaning to play a full IGC but just haven't gotten around to it. This makes me want to fire up the computer and give it a whirl.

:D:D:D

Luckily, my general Vader (5/5/5) that I had with a cavalry force in Yavin managed to retreat and I pulled him back to Coruscant, where I’m putting together a new army

Pay Atteintion!! here he is :rolleyes:

Thanks, everybody! (Last night I drove furiously down to Iowa City (about half an hour away) to try and convince my brother to catch the 12:45 am showing of "Attack of the Clones" in Davenport (an hour away). I get there at 11:15, and guess what? The punk's already gone to bed. So I had Star Wars on the brain.)

Ariel- I completely missed that event!!! I had a rebellion pop up in Kashyyk province at the same time, so I must have just clicked through without thinking about it. :(

MrT- Very Hard/Furious, yep. And my sliders were set mostly to infrastructure: I was trying to get Infra (650)- Improved Holographic Projections, cause apparently tax value suffers when all your interstellar communication is tiny and staticky.

The war happened too fast for me to really play with the sliders that much. I tell you though, next time I am definitely not making myself Sith Defender of the Faith. I've got enough trouble with revolts without that.

Or maybe it's one of those newbie mistakes where you forget that you've dropped your maintenence down to 50% and don't put it back up to 100% for the war? Of course that does happen sometimes when someone sneak-attacks you.

Well sure, who hasn't had that happen to them? But then would you really expect a bunch of tech lvl 1 teddy bears to over-run an Imperial power transmitter? I mean, that's like a level 25 fortress, at least!

No, I reckon it's definitely one of those AI cheats. Notice how the New Republic suffers very little attrition as well, despite their almost constant movement - I mean, their fleets are never in the same sector two years running, but they always manage to bring enough X-wings to the party (they're naval tech 720, you'll still be stuck with crappy TIE fighters at 715...)

And Sith defender of the Faith is a pre-requisite of the scenario. Remember: "Two there are, no more, no less..." which never made sense to me (I mean, an order of anti-Jedi with just two members? Come on!) but then you'd have to ask Paradox about that, they hired Lucas Arts to work on the mod...

Originally posted by Prufrock451

Feb 15,156: Just built the Death Star and moved it to Endor. My king?s a historical leader (Palpatine 6/6/6), and I?ve got him and Vader on the Death Star. Just when I?ve almost got them offloaded onto Endor, my fleet?s attacked by the New Republic. They beat me again and sink the whole fleet! I really don?t believe this, cause I?ve got them outnumbered over 4 to 1!!! (Is this fixed in 1.05?) So I lose all my leaders, except for Admiral Thrawn (5/5/5) who?s on the other side of the map, I lose my Death Star, and the natives, who have Very Low morale, rise up and destroy my colony in Endor. Crap.
Nice try, but you should know better. It is not a bug, but working as designed.

At that tech level you should not be using galleys while the opposition is using warships. Yeah, I know, they look cool and they are impressive in size, but getting the slaves to row them anywhere near .7c is a budgetbreaker, and their firevalue isn't so impressive either. And what were you doing keeping both leaders in the same army? Should have split them up earlier to avoid the risk of simultaneous loss instead of cutting corners.

Mar 15,156: ?Collapse of the Galactic Empire? event. Rebels everywhere. Agh. I start building a new cavalry army, but my manpower pool is empty?
At this tech level you should be using 82% infantry, 15% cavalry, and 3% artillery! Consider hiring mercenaries to tide you over.

So I don?t know. My treasury?s empty, my forces are split up all over the place, and I?m not going to be able to fight all these rebels let alone the New Republic. I?ve still got a fairly good-sized army with Admiral Thrawn? do you think I should keep playing?

Yes, fall back and regroup. You should probably also start force-converting to deter future rebels (though it will be much more expensive with the loss of Vader and Palpatine), since it seems you skimped on that in the first place.

But don't feel so bad about your rookie mistakes. We all make them once, and what does not kill us, makes us stronger.
Next time you should consider taking the ahistorical option C) in creation of the clone army. While it costs 5 stab points and 25 scripted rebellions (plus that nasty Amidala goes bonkers event later on) it will allow you to chose "It all belongs to the Dark Side" in 152 which creates 6 Vader-clones (4/4/4/1) under your command, gives you CB shields on just about everything, and performs five random conversions! (It is all there in the event-chain for those who know where to look).

I saw Attack of the Clones today. How 'bout the master kung-fu fighter, Yoda? :D He really should've smashed that big pillar into Dooku's ship, though (that's certainly what I'd have had him do if I were playing an RGC [Republic Grand Campaign]- ahistorical option c). Yoda dabbles in the Dark Side to smash the Count to pieces).