• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dear Sir,

Following the time honoured tradition of lurkers everywhere I wish to jump out at you at this moment in time to do two things.

Firstly, huzzah! I find your AAR immensly amusing and has entertained me very well over the past few days since I stumbled for the first time into the Rome section of this website.

Secondly, I wish to pass on this metaphorical statue of sheer genius Congratulations On Your Paradox Interactive Forum Recognised Reward! Redeemable in shops everywhere for one week only...

Dear Sir,

Following the time honoured tradition of lurkers everywhere I wish to jump out at you at this moment in time to do two things.

Firstly, huzzah! I find your AAR immensly amusing and has entertained me very well over the past few days since I stumbled for the first time into the Rome section of this website.

Secondly, I wish to pass on this metaphorical statue of sheer genius Congratulations On Your Paradox Interactive Forum Recognised Reward! Redeemable in shops everywhere for one week only...

From one (mostly) Lurking reader to another, I thank you! And I continue my tradition of following an award with a sub-par update!

This is hilarious! Excellent work as usual Alfred. :D

Thanks! :)

Hopefully Rhodes doesn't copy the same problems as rome though :D

What problems? Wasn't the Roman Republic a Utopian World of Civility and Harmony?

If you updated more, you might've been done already!

*crack* OW! Alright, I'll work harder!

Hi Olaus! I'm aware of Rhodesia = old name for Zimbabwe, but for the life of it I couldn't fathom what people from Rhodes would be called, so I just slapped '-ians' after Rhodes and left it at that. It did look funny (and made me expect a character called Ian Smith), but I simply couldn't be bothered to check what the adjective should've been. Anyway, thanks for the correction. :)

Lepi fully redeems himself for his silly name with that one. I fear, though, that this ruse will not work indefinitely...

As far as Aristonomes goes, he seems pretty lucky to me: if he'd spoken up to a Crovan the way he did, he would've been stabbed about the face, instead of merely getting some crude acupuncture on his foot... ;)

This is true, and he is noted as being lucky for a reason!

haha the senate discussions are pretty cool and original. nice.

Thanks!

Aristonomes seems to be a pleasant fellow, I wonder why no one likes him. :(

I don't usually nitpick about the English language, but here it works in strange ways (yet again). People from Rhodes are Rhodians, while Rhodesians are people from a country which is known today as Zimbabwe. Rhodian is actually a word you don't see often except in some dusty old books about the Greek history. :)

Maybe I'll just call them Rhodites :)

Nowaddayanow... a decision was made...

I have to lay down now for a while...:D

I know! Miracle of miracles!

I like it :)
Also in some languages Lepi means Pretty guy :D

Huh. Must be an 'ironic' nickname then

Brilliant plan if I may say so. And quick thinking by Lepi there.

Yeah, pretty and all the brains

So are we going to be seeing Rhodian spies trying to steal the Twelve Tables? If so, best of luck to them :p

(For the uninitiated: Twelve Tables)

Oh no! Kleitos' plan is far more subtle than that!

Ha! Copy the Romans. I guess that explains the AAR title.
Great job giving all the characters personalities, by the way. Something I fear I fail at.

Edit: Nick makes me laugh, in no small part due to us sharing a name.
Double Edit: His spiels remind me of me back in high school. I was totally a communist (hence the login).

I don't know, I think you do a great job with your character personalities. For me, all mine seem the same. I think it's because we're too close to our own works. (At least, I hope so!)

473: Was That Boat Really That Big A Plot Point? I Say 'No!'

SPQR

Episode 5 – In Which An Angry Rabbit Makes An Appearance

Convention.jpg

And so, Kleitos sets sail on the fastest trireme in Rhodes, for time is of the essence!

greek_trireme.jpg

Six months later:

NiceasApollonid.jpg

“…and so, in conclusion, it should be readily apparent that this endless exploitation of the plebeians is an outrageous smear on the glory of Rhodes. Therefore, I motion that plebeians should henceforth be given an equal vote with the patricians on elections to government posts.”

TheodorosTheronid.jpg

Theo rubbed his eyes. “Nick, how many slaves do you own? More than anyone else here right?”

NiceasApollonid.jpg

“Well…yes. I don’t really see how that’s relevant to this discussion.”

TheodorosTheronid.jpg

“It’s not Nick. I’m in the market for new oarsmen and, since there are only 18 of us here and we obviously can’t vote on anything, maybe I could go shopping at your estate.”

NiceasApollonid.jpg

“Oh, well sure. I heard about your boat foundering. So you lost all of them? Did it sink that fast.”

TheodorosTheronid.jpg

Theo laughed. “No, that’s the funny part! We sank just offshore. The water was only chest high, so Philocrates and I just stood there waiting for help to arrive. I totally forgot the slaves were all chained in a sitting position.”

PhilocratesZoticid.jpg

“Haha, yeah, you should have seen it Nick, we were just talking about how peaceful and quiet it was. Real relaxing, when Theo says ‘ say, the slaves seem to be taking this well, I would have expected them to complain a lot louder.’ Oh what a laugh we had when we looked below decks and all we saw were the tops of 60 heads just barely poking out of the water.”

NiceasApollonid.jpg

“Haha, I bet that was a sight! Anyway, off to the estate. I hope you won’t mind if we discuss the egregious mistreatment of the Factory Workers along the way Theo. I’ve been planning to give this speech all morning and I think you will find it fascinating.”

TheodorosTheronid.jpg

“Wait, do we really…”

AsklepiodorusTimolid.jpg

Lepi burst breathlessly into the Senate Hall. “He’s back! Kleitos is back!”

AthineosXenonid.jpg

Athineos looked at his sundial. “Wow, that was quick!”

greek_trireme2.jpg

In no time at all, or rather, by 1030AM the next day, the Senate was assembled. 74 Senators showed up, an attendance record.

Chares.jpg

“Okay Kleitos, you have the floor. Tell us everything!”

KleitosAlcetid.jpg

“Well, there isn’t really much to tell. We rowed day and night, stopping only to procure more oarsmen until we reached Rome. I knew time was of the essence, so I left the ship to re-victual while I ran into town real quick. There, I saw these 12 massive tablets breaking down all the laws and rules governing the Romans.”

PolyphronTherid.jpg

Polyphron’s heart leapt. “By Zeus! You got the whole law code! Amazing!”

TheodorosTheronid.jpg

“Here here! Brilliant Kleitos, just brilliant!”

KleitosAlcetid.jpg

Kleitos’ face turned red. He coughed into his hand. “Well. Like I said. I was in a rush, you know, had to get back here as quick as possible, so I just copied down a few things and ran back to the boat. I mean, I was only there 20 minutes or so. It would have taken days to copy all 12 Tables.”

AsklepiodorusTimolid.jpg

“You spent 6 months at sea. Do you think it would have been the end of the world to spend even a full hour getting the information we sent you for?”

KleitosAlcetid.jpg

Kleitos flushed with embarrassment. He was feeling defensive. “Hey look, you guys said I needed to hurry. Look, I got the important stuff, now do you want to see it or not?”

Chares.jpg

“I’m sure you did just fine Kleitos and, anyway, we all had a very nice time while you were gone working hard for the Republic, so go ahead and show us what you’ve found.”

Govt1.jpg

Kleitos unrolled a scroll and passed it around the room.

“Well, they give Executive Authority to a Consul who is elected every 2 years and you can’t be Consul twice in a row. I think. I may have made that up, but I think it’s a good idea. The Consul then appoints all these other posts. Now, there are term limits, but someone can be fired early, only not for the first year on the job...”

TheodorosTheronid.jpg

Theo was looking over the scroll at that moment. “Hold up Kleitos. You mean to tell me you didn’t have time to find out what a Pro-Consul or Praetor does, but you had time to sketch that horrid rabbit?”

Alright, so maybe the plan wasn’t so clever. Aristonomes’ part continues to be non-existant, but his day will come, fear not. And who knows, by next month, we may even move into the game’s beginning!
---
Also, I am thinking of creating character profiles for the major ones giving their personal histories, etc. Mostly, this is because I need to be able to keep up with lots of information for these guys. They would probably contain spoilers, but since 'Surprise' isn't really important, I don't think that will matter too much. If this is something you guys might find useful, I can use a Paradox Blog for that (so you'd have an easy reference tool if, say, someone's portrait hasn't stuck in your head). Let me know.

Last edited:
weird, my first post didn't show up...:eek:o

Anyways that was hilarious, especially the slaves in the water and the fact that on a six month journey the guy only spent a few minutes doing what he was suppose to be doing

Mmm, I think Kleitos did an excellent job of summarizing the whole Roman Law... :D

Kleitos got the gist of things, right? And the details can work themselves out easily enough - after all, everyone at the constitutional convention is a man of good will...

I noticed that Kleitos has mastered the arts of subtly making one's wishes known. :D

Nick said:
“Haha, I bet that was a sight! Anyway, off to the estate. I hope you won’t mind if we discuss the egregious mistreatment of the Factory Workers along the way Theo.”
Yes, indeed, non-existing factory workers, now they are worthy of salvation. Slaves... Slaves don't count. Shouldn't have allowed themselves to be enslaved, if they wanted to have rights and everything. ;)

I find it ironic that the guy who's clamoring for "the rights of the people" is also the biggest slave owner on the island :D But then again, who thinks of slaves as people in Rhodes, anyway? :p

Incidentally, where'd you get the model for that trireme? Looks like a pretty nify program...

weird, my first post didn't show up...:eek:o

Anyways that was hilarious, especially the slaves in the water and the fact that on a six month journey the guy only spent a few minutes doing what he was suppose to be doing

That is weird and thanks!

Heh, hopping mad...

:) Those notes needed a throw-away gag.

Mmm, I think Kleitos did an excellent job of summarizing the whole Roman Law... :D

I think so too!

Kleitos got the gist of things, right? And the details can work themselves out easily enough - after all, everyone at the constitutional convention is a man of good will...

I noticed that Kleitos has mastered the arts of subtly making one's wishes known. :D

Yes, indeed, non-existing factory workers, now they are worthy of salvation. Slaves... Slaves don't count. Shouldn't have allowed themselves to be enslaved, if they wanted to have rights and everything. ;)

Well sure! They're probably ex-Patricians anyway. Or barbarians, who are just proto-capitalists anyway.

I find it ironic that the guy who's clamoring for "the rights of the people" is also the biggest slave owner on the island :D But then again, who thinks of slaves as people in Rhodes, anyway? :p

Incidentally, where'd you get the model for that trireme? Looks like a pretty nify program...

:eek:o Google Images

It drives me crazy to see how long it takes for people to write good AARs and even madder to see how little time it takes to read them.

Luckily, I'm about to update, so you'll have something to read while waiting for a good AAR to update!

473: But then, did you expect anything else?

SPQR

Episode 6 – In Which Theodoros Does Not Poll Well

Convention.jpg

And so, after numerous speeches, counter speeches, disagreements, and meetings cancelled due to high absenteeism, The Constitution of Rhodes is up for final ratification.

Chares.jpg

“Okay, so The Constitution, as written by Kleitos, amended through Lepi’s Greekification Bill and then further amended by Nick’s Plebian Power Bill less the “Plebian Power clauses,” but still retaining clause III pertaining to the duties of the Prytanis is now up for final ratification.

TheodorosTheronid.jpg

“Finally!”

NiceasApollonid.jpg

“Wait, I would like to discuss the addition of a final amendment!”

Chares.jpg

“Well…that is your right Nick.”

AsklepiodorusTimolid.jpg

“This isn’t going to be another extend the franchise thing is it Nick?”

NiceasApollonid.jpg

“No…I’ll save that for when I’m Archon. I was going to propose that the Convention, after ratifying the Constitution should go ahead and make the first round of government appointments, in the interests of getting an effective government in place as quickly as possible.”

AsklepiodorusTimolid.jpg

“Oh. That’s actually a great suggestion.”

Chares.jpg

“Great! Then are we actually ready to vote on this thing?

Aristonomes.jpg

“Wait. I forgot what it looked like. Can we pass around the sheet again before voting?”

Govt2.jpg

“Oh man! Who crossed out the bunny?”

Chares.jpg

Even Chares was getting annoyed. “We’re going to re-write it anyway later on Aristonomes. Can we please vote on this?”

Finally, the vote is taken, the Constitution is ratified 42-11 with Nick and the 9 other Real Reds present voting against it on principle and Aristonomes voting against it out of spite, since he’d been yelled at over the whole thing. This was just the beginning, for over the next week, the parties jockeyed, allied and fought over the primary government positions. With each faction holding exactly 20 Senators (and, by the way, the assigning of salaried, powerful jobs, brought out full attendance for the first time ever).

The principle candidates for the Archonship were:

Chares.jpg

Chares, with support of 20 members of the Mercantile Party and claimed executive experience with his deft handling of the conference to date.

AsklepiodorusTimolid.jpg

Lepi, with support of 20 members of the Religious Party and the Gods could also claim executive experience having chaired the meetings during Chares’ many absences. Going against Lepi was the fact that few people actually liked him very much.

NiceasApollonid.jpg

Nick, with support of 20 members of the Populist Party, was also in the running. In his favor was the fact that he was a charming and likeable guy, when he wasn’t going off on one of his rants. Working for and against him was the widespread belief that his support of the Plebs was just for political gain.

KleitosAlcetid.jpg

”Remember me?”

And there was Kleitos, with support of 20 members of the Green Party. As an old money guy he had support of the other old money Senators. Plus his claim to fame as the founder of the new constitution worked for and against him.

(What’s that you say? What about the Reds? Well…)

TheodorosTheronid.jpg

Theodoros, as party leader, would be expected to have the full support of his party. He did not. He had 8 members backing him. Theodoros was pretty pushy and had pulled the old ‘sword in the foot’ maneuver on not just Aristonomes over the last year.

PhilocratesZoticid.jpg

Philocrates had the backing of another 7 Senators based on the fact that he was very good looking and had a great smile.

PolyphronTherid.jpg

Polyphron controlled 5 more votes, but they were his friends and relations and he was willing to sell his votes in exchange for one of the lucrative jobs.

So then, enough talk…let’s get back to the election debates already in progress.

Chares.jpg

“Okay, so after the nominations and the initial voting, we have, myself, your intrepid leader and shepherd of the nation, Chares, with 20 votes. Lepi with 20. Kleitos with 20. Nick with 20. Theodoros with 8, Philocrates with 7 and Polyprhon with 5. Nobody reached the 51 votes necessary to win, so I guess we need a run off.”

TheodorosTheronid.jpg

“I propose the top 5 contestants be in the run-off.”

AsklepiodorusTimolid.jpg

Lepi shot Theodoros a glare. “How about only those who could actually control their party’s votes be eligible to control the nation. I think only those tied at the front.”

TheodorosTheronid.jpg

“That’s fine with me Lepi. So long as you don’t expect any Red Party votes in the next run-off.” The threat was implicit, but Lepi seemed unconcerned.

Chares.jpg

“Okay then, let’s adjourn ‘till tomorrow. Oh, and this is completely unrelated to the election, but Philocrates? Would you please join me for dinner? My wife has been asking after yours and thinks we should get together.

PhilocratesZoticid.jpg

“But I’m not married.”

Okay, so we didn’t move into the game’s beginning. But we are getting close!

Wives can be so sneaky and deceitful...not that I know, of course :D

It seems like there is a tie, what shall untie it? A death or a catastrophic storm of meatballs?

If it takes to page 3 before the actual start, we are for sure looking for a massive AAR (unless somebody annex Rhodes first, of course ;) ). Keep up the good work! :)

It always impressive to see a solid working political machine...:D

I'm imagining that hallowed Constitution on proud display in some civic hall, for the edification of future generation - markthroughs and Mr. Hopping Mad included. :D

I am shocked [shocked, I tell you) to see that Nick actually has a common sense suggestion! What is the world coming to?!?

As far as the election goes, in the interest of a fair and transparent process, I submit that instant runoff voting should be used. Shouldn't be hard to simulate, right? And surely there is no room for error (unintentional or otherwise), when it's practised by such august men?

FIRST OFF: NO UPDATE TODAY! Or until July 7th. I will be flying out to California with my wife and 3 kids tomorrow morning and won't be back until the 5th. The lack of updates this week were because I've been trying to wrap up work for this 10 day excursion. My last hope for updating (this morning) was instead consumed with fixing a network problem at the office. If I can squeak out an update before leaving, I will, but I do apologize for the delay! (and I really hope I can...squeek out an update that is) I've got a good Nick gag and I have the whole election process plotted in my head)

(now for feedback)

Woah, this AAR is superb!!! :D
Shame that I found it out a bit late. :eek:o

That's alright...you haven't missed much!

I'm imagining that hallowed Constitution on proud display in some civic hall, for the edification of future generation - markthroughs and Mr. Hopping Mad included. :D

I am shocked [shocked, I tell you) to see that Nick actually has a common sense suggestion! What is the world coming to?!?

As far as the election goes, in the interest of a fair and transparent process, I submit that instant runoff voting should be used. Shouldn't be hard to simulate, right? And surely there is no room for error (unintentional or otherwise), when it's practised by such august men?

There is a saying where I live that relates to Nick: even a blind hog finds truffles now and then. And instant run-off voting...hmmm...if it's good enough for Minnesota, well..eh...maybe.

It always impressive to see a solid working political machine...:D

I know. Quite a well-oiled process!

If it takes to page 3 before the actual start, we are for sure looking for a massive AAR (unless somebody annex Rhodes first, of course ;) ). Keep up the good work! :)

*whistling*

Wives can be so sneaky and deceitful...not that I know, of course :D

It seems like there is a tie, what shall untie it? A death or a catastrophic storm of meatballs?

Or a deadly catastrophic storm of meatballs!

If it takes to page 3 before the actual start, we are for sure looking for a massive AAR (unless somebody annex Rhodes first, of course ;) ).

That would be beautifully Pythonesque if slightly disappointing considering the (game) years of comedy that might then never be.

As for the delay there is a saying: "Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge." (One who waits for something good never waits too long)

Alfred Packer said:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Suvinen
If it takes to page 3 before the actual start, we are for sure looking for a massive AAR (unless somebody annex Rhodes first, of course ). Keep up the good work!
*whistling*
Uh... Oh... :D

Enjoy the trip, by the way.