• Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
The Progessive (aka Egalitarian) faction seems to not function as it should at present. It is the faction most favoured by slaves, yet it has no views on slavery whatsoever. This problem has become heightened with the 'Indentured Servitude' slavery time that gives slaves more political power, which they squander on a faction that does nothing for them. However, I'm not sure it would work to have (xeno) slaves attracted to the Xenoist faction - having alien slave masters is not so likely to make you xenophilic.

I think the problem arises here because the Progressive faction is configured to work in both Xenophobic one-species democracy Slaver empires and Xenophile empires, without taking issue with either of them. What this misses is that what egalitarian means depends on who you think should be subject to equality.

I propose replacing the existing Progressive faction with two factions:

Citizen League
The citizen league is concerned with the rights and well-being of ordinary citizens in the empire. It does not have an opinion on who should be citizens, however, and will merely campaign for the rights of any species the state deems citizens. It is particular concern with living standards, and with economic policies that can ensure a good life for all citizens. This is the default Egalitarian faction for Xenophobic empires. However, no non-citizen species can join this faction, who will instead join the new Progressive faction (see below)

Here are some suggested issues for this faction (of course it could be fine-tuned):

Issues
Condition
Benefit
Penalty
Anti-Autocratic​
Not Dictatorial or Imperial Authority​
Care for our own​
Social welfare or better conditions for citizen species​
0​
Free Movement​
Prohibited Resettlement Policy​
Civilian Trade​
Consumer benefits trade policy in place​
0​
Subsidised Local Industries​
Any subsidies edict is in place​
0​
Anti-elitism​
Must not use Stratified Living Standards for citizen species, and must use Natural Selection Leadership Enhancement​
0​

This faction will get along ok with xenophobes, without any major point of incompatibility.

(New) Progressives
The new version of Progressives is concerned for the rights and equality of all sentient life within the empire. While they do not view multiculturalism as an inherent good, their priority is to ensure a decent quality of life for all beings that the Empire is responsible for, and that all have at least some ability to participate in government. This is the default egalitarian faction for Xenophile empires. (I feel it would make sense for this to be the faction for all non-Xenophobes, but it can be argued either way I think. It might be all non-Xenophobes bar ones with particular civics, such as Citizen Service).

Here are suggested issues - they are similar, but I thought they could have a different flavour:

Issues
Condition
Benefit
Penalty
Democratic​
Must have Democratic Authority​
Cooperative Diplomacy​
Cooperative Diplomatic Stance Policy​
0​
Personal autonomy​
No species has population controls or can be resettled against their will​
Anti-slavery​
No species enslaved​
0​
Equal entitlements​
All species have the same living standards​
Born Equal​
Natural Selection Leader Enhancement Policy​
Anti-poverty​
No species has the Non-existent, Basic Subsistence or Stratified Economy Living Standard rights​

As you see, this faction will be a influence drain on xenophobe and authoritarian slavers alike.

I feel the sets of issues could be improved. But what do people think of the general idea?

• 7Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0