• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

-Leonidas-

Sergeant
66 Badges
Apr 28, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
The province of Brunswick is one of the largest in the HRE, especially compared to it's rather small neighbors. To solve this problem I propose to split it into two procinces with Brunswick in the north and Goslar in the south. Why Goslar you ask? There are several good reasons:

- By adding Goslar an additional Free City can be created. After the Shadow Kingdom event there a far too few countries in the HRE which qualify as a candidate for the creation of a Free City, making it impossible for the Emperor to choose between them or often even reach the IA bonus limit.
- Thanks to the vast deposits of precious metals like silver, gold, copper, and tin in the nearby Rammelsberg mountain Goslar was one of the wealthiest cities in central Europe during most of the timeframe of the game.
- While beeing under constant pressure by it's neighbors, Goslar remained independent until 1802. Therefore it can be considered a country longer than many other tags that exist in the HRE.
- The existence of Goslar creates opportunities for local flavor in an area that barely has any at the moment. Possibilites include a mission for Brunswick to conquer or vassalize Goslar, representing the long struggle to control the Rammelsberg, as well as a mission for Goslar to establish a vast network of allies as it did in history to protect itself from it's aggressive neighbors.

An appropriate development would be 4/4/1 representing the advanced administration and trade but lack in military power. An adequate trade good would be any of the metals. A fitting terrain type for the province would be hills, but woods would also be justifiable since the city is located on the edge of the Harz mountains. A nice country color would be 17 53 13. Possible national ideas are the following:

Traditions:
advisor_cost = -0.1
republican_tradition = 0.5

Ambition:
yearly_corruption = -0.2

Herz des Reiches
"Goslar is today just one city among many, but during the Middle Ages it used to be one of the centers of the Empire. During the Salian dynasty the imperial palace of Goslar was the main residence of the Emperors and many imperial diets were held in these halls."
prestige = 1

Goslarer Stadtrecht
"While the town laws of Magdeburg set the basis for similar codifications, a great number of essential additions were made when creating a legal system for Goslar. This did not only facilitate a modern administration within the town walls but also set a standard which was adopted by numerous German cities."
adm_tech_cost_modifier = -0.1

Überlegene Baumeister
"During the late Middle Ages and the Early Modern Period Goslar was home to excellent craftsmen and master builders. Combined with the immense wealth of the city these circumstances lead to countless ambitious building projects including a system of wooden pipes providing running water in every house."
development_cost = -0.1

Kaiserliche Münzstätte
"Due to the vast amounts of precious metals in the nearby Rammelsberg mountain Goslar housed one of the few imperial mints. Over the centuries the city produced countless coins and became one of the largest mints in Europe during the fifteenth century, allowing a tight control of the cities finances."
inflation_reduction = 0.2

Schutzbündnisse
"For a long time we could rely on the Emperor to protect us. Since the start of the Reformation this has changed, for our ruler is occupied with securing religious stabililty in the empire. It is time to form as many alliances as possible if we want to defend our city against the attacks of our neighbors."
diplomatic_upkeep = 1

Steigerverfahren
"Improved smelting techniques have been developed in southern Germany, allowing a much easier separation of silver and ore. We should embrace these new technologies to increase the production of our mines tenfold."
global_trade_goods_size_modifier = 0.1

Reformen des Johann Siemens
"After years of decline the great reformer Johann Siemens undertook the effort to modernize our country's administration. Most important was the restructuring of the financial system used by the city council. By abolishing unnecessary spending, remodeling the tax system, and renting out city buildings Siemens greatly increased the amount of money available for public use."
global_tax_modifier = 0.1

Lastly the country flag for Goslar:

Goslar.jpg

Upvote 0
I know people don't like it when threads are pushed in this manner but since the developers specifically asked for such suggestions in the last Dev Diary I thought it would be better to push the existing thread instead of reposting it.

I ABSOLUTELY support it!
Goslar was one of the biggest, if not the biggest source of precious metals in the HRE, or even in whole Europe, while now a bunch of rather unaccurate mines are represented (La Mancha, Eger). But i would change it's development to be 3/3/2 or so, as imo only deserts and tundras should have 1 military development. And the HRE needs more Freistadt/potential-Freistadt so badly!
What's more, i would split the remaining Brunswick province to Brunswick and Göttingen (basically southern part of the province), the latter being handed over to Lüneburg later.

Why Goslar? Göttingen was much more important for Braunschweig.

There are far better options for new Free Cities in the HRE. This one takes too much space away from the Braunschweig-tag.

Why Goslar? Göttingen was much more important for Braunschweig.

There are far better options for new Free Cities in the HRE. This one takes too much space away from the Braunschweig-tag.

As I mentioned, i would like to see Göttingen also. But, Göttingen would be there only to split the big Braunschweig, addig detail, while Goslar was one of the most important precious metal mines in Europe at the time, that have to be represented. Besides that region didn't have too much Free cities (Goslar, Mühlhausen, Nordhausen) , so representing at least the most important among them would mean the Saxon area finally has a Free city!
Imo Mühlhausen could be added too, there's enough space for it and because Free cities are cool :)

I wouldn't oppose the existence of Göttingen and today it's of course a bigger and more important city. However between 1444 and 1821 I regard it as clearly less significant than Goslar in terms of economic power, historical influence and gameplay opportunies. So should there be a choice between Goslar und Göttingen, chosing the former seems much more reasonable.

I wouldn't oppose the existence of Göttingen and today it's of course a bigger and more important city. However between 1444 and 1821 I regard it as clearly less significant than Goslar in terms of economic power, historical influence and gameplay opportunies. So should there be a choice between Goslar und Göttingen, chosing the former seems much more reasonable.
But don't forget that the size and wealth of the Brunswick tag in comparison to its neighbours needs to be shown, too.

But don't forget that the size and wealth of the Brunswick tag in comparison to its neighbours needs to be shown, too.

After the last dev diary there is a chance they will add both Göttingen and Goslar, as i hope so.