• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
WOOT!

I was really hoping for this.

Excited about seeing some developer diaries on this. :D

A couple of new countries would be nice eg Gran Colombia, Syria or Saudi Arabia,
do any of the suggestion we make here have a chance of being implemented or is it too late for that?

YES! Was starting to get worried that the basically great game would not get further attention from PI (Now to think of it, it sounds stupid). Thought you had given up to limitations of processing power and complication of closed monetary system and left the era to AGEOD team to mess with.

Don't care about ACW but other features sound interesting. VIC2 is now basically too fluent: There isn't so much for player to play with. Hopefully you find some innovation like the buildings in EU3:DW that gives the player more to do (I'm looking at elections etc), but that doesn't go too much into micromanagement of VIC1.

Looking forward to this and later expansions.

A couple of new countries would be nice eg Gran Colombia, Syria or Saudi Arabia,
do any of the suggestion we make here have a chance of being implemented or is it too late for that?

Since the expansion isn't due until 2012 it shouldn't really be too late for some things at least.

Ok, I have a bomb to drop, are you ready?
Really ready?
Here goes. The first expansion for VII is brewing in the Paradox office.
Ok, maybe you are not completely shocked. :)

The aim is to improve upon mainly the political and economical aspects of the game, with focus on the American Civil War era.

I'll list a few of the features here:
  • New starting point in 1861, allowing players to experience the US Civil War from the start.
  • Manufacture reasons to go to war with other countries, all in the name of the great game of power.
  • Civilize your country with various new reform paths to ultimately become equal to the western nations.
  • Invest in building infrastructure and factories in other countries to strengthen their ties to you.
  • Deeper political system with new national focus options and new types of reforms.
  • A new system of popular movements that can be appeased or suppressed, but if ignored, will become the revolutionaries of tomorrow.
  • Improved interface, with more information easily available and improving gameplay.

Let the praise/critique begin!
Best news ever!

Will we be seeing something that will allow us to monitor our national focus' progress? Say I am encouraging clergy in a state, will I be able to set a notification for when it reaches 4% or something along those lines?

And this is just outstanding :p

Great news! :)

I especially like the overhaul of rebells - it's annoying that sometimes the only way to handle rebells is to let them win a bloody revolution, instead of giving in before starting a civil war.

Are there any ideas for the name of the expansion? Some proposals from me:
-"Return of the rebell scum"
-"Time of Liquor"
-"The Rise of Chile"

;)

I would have prefer a start date on June 19th, 1815 the day after Waterloo
I think that would be very messy as a start; a war was still going on, Napoleon trying to escape and the allies soon to occupy Paris. July 15th, when Napoleon surrendered to the British at Rochefort, might be a better date if you assume that this represented a de-facto peace (with Louis XVIII returned to the throne of France).

We have conflicting reports on likely release date at the moment, some say this December, others say probably not this year.
I think they said "December 2011, if all goes well". I interpret that as 2012 ;)

Oh, and this is excellent news - long live Vicky II!

Last edited:
This is welcome news, for sure. I hope that Vicky2 enjoys the same developmental arc that EU3 had, with what was a somewhat bland game on first release getting better and better with each subsequent expansion.

I too am uninterested in the ACW (the game scale is not the right one to make an interesting fight of it, IMHO), but the other features sound quite intriguing.