• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ok, i have a bomb to drop, are you ready?
Really ready?
Here goes. The first expansion for vii is brewing in the paradox office.
Ok, maybe you are not completely shocked. :)

the aim is to improve upon mainly the political and economical aspects of the game, with focus on the american civil war era.

I'll list a few of the features here:
  • new starting point in 1861, allowing players to experience the us civil war from the start.
  • manufacture reasons to go to war with other countries, all in the name of the great game of power.
  • civilize your country with various new reform paths to ultimately become equal to the western nations.
  • invest in building infrastructure and factories in other countries to strengthen their ties to you.
  • deeper political system with new national focus options and new types of reforms.
  • a new system of popular movements that can be appeased or suppressed, but if ignored, will become the revolutionaries of tomorrow.
  • improved interface, with more information easily available and improving gameplay.

let the praise/critique begin!

yyyyyyyeeesssss!!!!!

improve upon mainly the political and economical aspects of the game

YEEESS ! Thank you Paradox ! I feared you had chosen the wargame path for Vicky II, but now I'm appeased.

New starting point in 1861, allowing players to experience the US Civil War from the start.
Nice addition, I will certainly try that out a few times, since the industralization progress will be correct for all nations, much more realistic Russia and Austria.

Manufacture reasons to go to war with other countries, all in the name of the great game of power.
Not certain what that means, but I hope that it makes costly Great Wars with a lot of fights more likely.

Civilize your country with various new reform paths to ultimately become equal to the western nations.
Very nice, I pretty much avoided playing as an uncivilized country except as Japan. I generally focus on Europe though.

Invest in building infrastructure and factories in other countries to strengthen their ties to you.
VERY nice addition to diplomacy. Vicky 2 needs a lot of work there, especially if you compare the diplomatic options in EU3 and Vicky2. But ok, EU3 has 4 add-ons while Vicky 2 has none yet. Hope there will be added more options in future expansions. One of the most important features for me.

Deeper political system with new national focus options and new types of reforms.
A new system of popular movements that can be appeased or suppressed, but if ignored, will become the revolutionaries of tomorrow.
The most important features I see should have been included in the Vicky 2 base game already, but I understand you work with limited manpower and money.
I see very much forward for those. They'll make Vicky 2 what I wanted it to be when it was first announced.

Improved interface, with more information easily available and improving gameplay.
Vicky 2 has in my opinion the best interface of all paradox games so far, but I would appreciate any improvements to the Production and to the Trade windows. They belong together somehow and are both not very well thought out. Also I imagine the new features will require some interface changes.
An OK feature.

Also all in all, I am excited about this addon and cant wait that it comes out.
Granted, that you continue to work on the economic system in 1.4 and the addon 2.0.
I also hope really much that you completely revamp the rebels.txt.

I'm sure mods make things more balanced or more interesting for you, but the game is quite playable without them.

I quite agree. It's a wonderful game, and that's the main reason I became so involved in modding for it. All I would personally ask for are a few more tools that will allow the modders some additional ability to manipulate things-- but, regardless, I eagerly look forward to seeing what the Paradox team is cooking up.

Not certain what that means, but I hope that it makes costly Great Wars with a lot of fights more likely.

A way to generate CBs.

I also hope really much that you completely revamp the rebels.txt.

That's what the "popular movements" reffers to. Rebel movements will be more focused on specific reforms, so you should be able to choose to give them what they want to make them go away, or ignore them until they rise up then shoot them. It should get rid of the situations where rebel movements form but you can't grant any reforms to calm them down.

All of these things, especially the civilizing paths (assuming they don't have the net effect of making it much harder), are good things.

However, some things are also missing. I was really hoping for great war mechanics that allowed nations to be broken up or hobbled. Don't get me wrong, the manufactured war reasons is a huge thing, as things do tend to become static... but there's a related issue where, when great powers go to war, they always WP out in 6 months. But really the late game farce where a few GPs fully occupy other GPs and get as their prize, some provinces in India... that's absurd. I'd like to see the late game have the possibility for big changes.

I'd also like to see some work done on the economy, to make it matter - I'd like to see economic power and military power having at least some link after the mid-point of the game (1886). In practice by that point the game is only concerned with manpower.

I LOVE IT that V2 is not being abandoned, and am hoping this is merely the first of many expansions :)

RebGeneral1.gif

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwww!

I'm happier than a pink pig in mud slop on a rainy Thursday.

Kallocain said:
Let the praise/critique begin!

I'm sorry. That's all I got. Too overcome to continue.

Last edited:
Bearing in mind that I have no info whatsoever on this (I wasn't even the first forumite to see this announcement), just because a mechanic for making empires collapse isn't mentioned now doesn't mean there won't be one.

YES!

Not that interested in the ACW scenario, the rest of it sounds awesome!

Request to the devs: *please* do take onboard some of the suggestions from the expansion speculation threads, a lot of the ideas are absolutely brilliant, I bet my bottom dollar this game will be PI's greatest achievement ever if even a quarter of the suggestions are implemented. :)

That's what the "popular movements" reffers to. Rebel movements will be more focused on specific reforms, so you should be able to choose to give them what they want to make them go away, or ignore them until they rise up then shoot them. It should get rid of the situations where rebel movements form but you can't grant any reforms to calm them down.

This is something I've been hoping for for a long while :)