• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The succession in Salamanca proved to be another of the turning points in king Sancho’s reign. The duke of Salamanca’s son, Sancho de la Cueva, was excommunicated, and thus the de la Cueva family had no legal heir to the title. Through spy master Jose Pacheco’s marriage to the duke’s daughter, however, Manuel was born heir presumptive. Historians agree that the legal term was first adopted in this circumstance. An heir presumptive is a conditional heir who is currently in line to inherit but could be displaced at any time in the future. And, in fact, any son born to the count of Zamora would be the heir apparent, thus removing any Pacheco legal claims to the duchy of Salamanca. And that was the case, with the count’s wife giving birth to the twin brothers Domingo and Ignacio. Manuel Pacheco was now third in line to inherit the title, and his position would slip even further down the line should the two reach maturity and produce heirs of their own.

The mysterious deaths of the two de la Cueva brothers in 1238 was thought to have been linked in some way to Jose Pacheco’s ambition to obtain Salamanca for the crown of Castile. Jose, the king’s son and heir, was influencing Castilian politics more than his role of spy master entitled him to. Although never proved, it is considered that he hired the assassins to resolve the Salamanca affair. The dukes, de Laras, de Borgona and de Quintana, were growing rebellious not because of the king, whose rule was considered fair and efficient, but because of the heir to the throne.

As spy master, Jose probably had a role in the death of his own son, Sancho, only 5 years old, in 1239. According to the diaries of one of his close friends, discovered in the 18th century, Jose Pacheco desired a centralized state, and he felt that having more than one heir would inevitably lead to a struggle for power inside the royal family. The king, now 40 years of age, started to question his son’s ability to rule the kingdom. While leaving Jose with no lands, he granted his grandson, Manuel, the duchy of Coimbra, consisting of the provinces of Castelo Branco and Coimbra, the traditional lands of the Pacheco family. It was probably this last action that deeply angered Jose, and led to the king’s murder, in December. Jose, again suspected but never proved to be behind the assassination, now held all of his father’s titles: king of Castile, duke of Toscana and Castilla, count of Toledo, Badajoz, Porto, Soria, Alcacer do Sal, Valladolid and Cuenca.

...and the centralization slider moves 2 spots....

:D

Jose is one ruthless guy. Hopefully he doesn't end up with the kinslayer trait. That would not end well.

JimboIX said:
Jose is one ruthless guy. Hopefully he doesn't end up with the kinslayer trait. That would not end well.

But it would be funny :D

RGB: yes, but in these times imposing centralization doesn't seem a good thing to do. ;)

JimboIX: he does end up with an interesting trait... let's just say it will not go well for him.

Kurt_Steiner: funny for whom? maybe for the other pretenders to the throne. Such as the old royal family of the de Borgonas, or the de Laras.

Fnuco said:
Kurt_Steiner: funny for whom? maybe for the other pretenders to the throne. Such as the old royal family of the de Borgonas, or the de Laras.

For the readers, for sure :D Perhaps the other rivals would like it, until it may turn against them...

I thought we should have a small overview of the situation in Castile up to now:

Kings of Castile so far:

de Borgoña dynasty:

1187 - 1194 Alfonso de Borgoña
1194 - 1229 Osorio de Borgoña

Pacheco dynasty:

1229 - 1239 Sancho Pacheco
1239 - 1242 Jose Pacheco
from 1242 Raimundo Pacheco

here are the family trees of three ruling families:

de Borgoñas:
PachecoMedium.jpg

Pachecos:
pacheco2Medium.jpg

Ruiz-de Quintanas:
pacheco3Medium.jpg

Tomorrow the ill-fated reign of Jose "the Cruel" Pacheco.

Well if I read my family tree right, it would appear that Castille fortunately only has to suffer through three years of the reign of Jose- I do hope he doesn't manage to mess anything up too badly.

Heh.

I have to say those family trees are mighty helpful. And the formattting is neat and effective.

RGB said:
Heh.

I have to say those family trees are mighty helpful. And the formattting is neat and effective.

thanks, i got the idea from your great Russian AAR.

I used paint, personally. It works well. If this becomes a trend I shall be quite happy.

But his are better since they're neater and smaller, always a plus. Less loading time.

phargle said:
How did you make those family trees? Are they just photoshopped?

this is how i do it:

open CK.
sketch the family trees with pen and paper while taking screenshots.
use MSpaint to put it all together. (i don't have/don't know how to use photoshop)

JimboIX said:
Well if I read my family tree right, it would appear that Castille fortunately only has to suffer through three years of the reign of Jose- I do hope he doesn't manage to mess anything up too badly.

Three years is enough to mess up an entire country. I'll leave it to all of you to decide how his reign went, but i think he was the worst king Castile had so far.

Update in about 1 hr.

Thank you all for your comments!

The Pacheco royal family branch was by the late 1230s almost entirely Portuguese, their hereditary titles being dukes of Coimbra, in Portugal. King Sancho Pacheco “the Great” however, saw beyond his local ambitions and acted for the greater benefit of Castile, but his successors failed to achieve greatness for the kingdom completely. Upon ascending to the throne, Jose’s first concern was to name his son Raimundo count of Porto, thus enlarging his family’s fiefs in Portugal. His vassals took advantage of the king’s lack of interest in the realm’s affairs, and the first to declare independence was Stephen de Quintana, the duke of Apulia and Calabria.

The other Italian possessions were slowly slipping away, as the Italian cities were given the right to govern themselves, in exchange for the passing of Livorno to the royal estate; the magistrate of Firenze was granted the title of Governor over all of Tuscany.

A campaign against the rebellious de Quintana in Italy would surely have attracted an excommunication from the duke’s half-brother, the Pope. Instead, king Jose’s attention turned to the Sheikhdom of Bari. The Sheikh, a vassal of duke Stephen, was holing the lands of Bari in Italy and Rioja in Spain. As starting a war against an infidel could not result in an excommunication, the king declared war and marched on Rioja, confident that the duke would support his vassal. But the duke, foreseeing the outcome of such action, and realizing the superior military power Castile had, abandoned his vassal and instead declared war on him, too. By July 1241, the Sheikhdom was divided between the king of Castile, who took Rioja, and the duke of Apulia and Calabria, who occupied Bari.

The Bubonic Plague re-appeared, worse than ever, in the province of Cuenca, and caught the whole kingdom by surprise. First the marshal, then the spy mistress died of the new disease. The plague was sparing nobody, regardless of rank or wealth, and the king left Toledo for his castle in Alcacer do Sal, on the Atlantic coast. Meanwhile, the death of the duke of Salamanca meant that young Raimundo, the king’s son and heir, inherited the duke’s lands and titles.

In spite of the king’s efforts to protect himself, he caught the plague in the summer of 1242, and died within a month, on July 8th, leaving the shaky throne of Castile to his 10-year old son. Immediately a High Council meeting was called in Toledo to discuss the regency. The fate of the kingdom was to be decided by these men, all with their own persona agendas: Fernando Lainez (the old king’s closest advisor), Manuel Pacheco (the duke of Coimbra and the new king’s uncle), Urbano da Camino (Italian governor of Tuscany), Nestore de Lara (duke of Toledo, representing the de Lara family), bishop Joao de Borgoña (representing the de Borgoña family) and Juan de Haro (count of Viscaya).

Looking forward to seeing how the regency plays out- the Plague is exacting a heavy price on the nation, not that Jose will be missed.

Hm. I'd have expected something worse from him, but that's good that it wasn't worse.

Plagues are terrible things, ugh. I'm surprised you're getting them in Westernmost Europe that early.

I dunni ow could it be worse? Perhaps an invasion from Mars? :D

hm, i am currently working on the final family tree: De Lara family.

Just that... i cannot fit them even on a sheet of paper with tiny writing.
But still i am very determined to making this family tree before i move on to the next update, because i feel they might have been considered of lower importance in the story. Well, they are not! :D

These guys are actually the Habsburs of the 12-13th centuries. I mean, they married from Hungary to Ireland and Denmark, pretty much into all of the ruling families in Iberia, and they have also inbred like crazy. A guy married his first cousin, then she died... what did he do next? Of course marry another first cousin! Crazy... :rofl:

Screw the Habsburgs!

Meet the de Laras:

In red, current rulers around Europe. Marked with "REGENT OF CASTILE" are those taking part in the Council deciding the future of the kingdom. As you can see, there are three of them having strong ties to the de Lara family. Also, notice how the de Laras are closely tied to the Pachecos and de Borgonas.

LaraLarge.png