• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Delta---Nomad

Recruit
Dec 2, 2021
History of the Sovereign System's Confederation

Year 2132 = The Energy Crisis

Although earliest projections as far back as the 2000's projected Earth's fossil fuel reserves to last until around 2060 based on their current fossil fuel consumption, with the introduction and implementation of renewable-energy technologies Earth's fuel reserves lasted much longer. However, even though civilian populations were accustomed to electric vehicles for personal transportation, world governments had yet to implement electric technology in transportation sectors in which diesel engines still were in widespread use. The primary reason for this, was the fact that within the last 100 years the world had seen an economic boom and unprecedented worldwide cooperation in trade. Unfortunately, governments were sluggish in addressing the growing shortage of transportation companies, employees, and overall vehicles on the road that was spearheaded by a driver shortage traced all the way back to the late 1980's.

Because of the inherently complex issue that was the driver shortage, or "Operator Crisis" as coined by the American Trucking Association (ATA), world governments instead opted to increase legal vehicle weights from 80,000lbs to 100,000lbs in 2074, and then from 100,000lbs to 120,000lbs in 2107 via a long-term regulation change correlating to worldwide infrastructure improvements (weights varied from country to country). Electric engines, although highly advanced compared to their predecessors by this time, still could not compete with the newer Diesel powered engines of the time. The vast majority of transportation organizations exclusively fielded diesel trucks, trains, and freighter ships despite growing awareness of an impending energy crisis sparked by the Middle-Eastern oil fields going dry in 2083.

Civilian aircraft, with the exception of smaller personal models, still used jet turbine engines; and worldwide military's continued to rely on multi-fuel diesel motors for a broad spectrum of applications. The United States, European Union, and Russian Federation attempted to spearhead the largest joint electric-oriented research project in history in 2108 in anticipation for the Energy Crisis due to the relatively large increase in fuel consumption the year before because of weight increases in which current diesel motors weren't yet designed to handle with efficiency. This project did not receive the funding planned for it, and struggled to make any breakthroughs for decades afterwards.

Fuel prices were skyrocketing leading up the March 15th 2132, which marked the beginning of a crisis that would change Humanity forever. On that day, crude oil from all sources went completely dry, and fuel reserves worldwide were also depleted in an attempt to smooth the curve of price increases.

On that day, commercial transportation worldwide completely collapsed, triggering a worldwide economic and societal breakdown. Cities were the centers of horrific riots, murders, thefts, etc in an attempt made by citizens to gain access to dwindling food supplies and products which eventually spread world-wide. In April, a large group of civilians in the state of Arkansas (United States) were massacred trying to take control of a military stockpile, which eventually became known as the Stockpile Massacre in which triggered severe unrest and the implementation of nation-wide Martial-Law. This event perfectly displayed the situation throughout the world,

An emergency meeting was held in Paris attended by all superpowers, associated countries, and the largest transportation companies throughout the world on August 12th, 2132. All fuel reserves still held were used exclusively for government and military organizations. All attendees that attended were most of the last remaining nations that did not collapse into complete anarchy by the time of this meeting, and all are listed below:

- United States of America
- United Kingdom
- European Union and all associated nations within.
- Russian Federation
- People's Republic of China
- South American Unity Pact (Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Columbia, Venezuela, and Bolivia. Founded in 2087)

Furthermore, the largest Transportation Companies of the time:

- Schnieder National Transportation (US)
- Enclave Global Transportation (US)
- Old Dominion Freight Line (US)
- Deutsche Post (EU)
- DPD (EU)
- Eddit Stobart Transportation (UK)
- Delovy Lines (RF)
- SF Express (PRC)
- ANE (PRC)

No transportation companies from South America, or Africa had attended due to widespread bankruptcy and collapse.

All parties attending negotiated for almost a week on the best course of action going forward, in which all leftover funding and material would be dedicated to the electric-motor research project to accelerate research into a capable electric motor before the complete and utter collapse of society in which Humanity would struggle to, if even, recover from.

To be continued.

Notes: I plan to make this a hobby of mine in which i go through an extremely detailed prologue of my Stellaris nation, its origin, and the mark it makes on the galaxy. I am not sure the timeframe for this, as i am usually busy and after the prologue is done the story progression will depend on my playthrough of Stellaris.

But always feel free to comment, and discuss issues our actual society will inevitably face when it comes to the Energy Crisis which led to the creation of the SSC almost a hundred years afterwards.

What Metacavity said! :) Loving some good background.

I appreciate background and lore as well.