• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSABadass

DV Mod Maker
49 Badges
Jan 16, 2003
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Empire of Sin
  • Empire of Sin - Premium Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Southern Revolutions CSA/ World War I Mod for V:R

"Southern Revolutions": An Enhancement/Bug-Fixing Mod for Victoria: Revolutions Version 2.01
Slapped Together by CSABadass

I. What This Is
Ever tried playing the CSA in Victoria? Ever try playing it for long? More to the point, did you have any fun?

If you answered "no" to any of those questions, the "Southern Revolutions" mod (or "SR", if you're into the whole brevity thing) can help. Its aim is to fix all that is broken in V:R's CSA-related files (and there's a whole bunch of that), as well as giving the game a much-needed dose of historical accuracy. All this is done in the interest of making the CSA a fun--if still challenging--country to play.

Don't come to this mod with visions of Confederate troops marching up to the Canadian border (that would be the "South ROXXOR and the North SUXXOR" mod, which I am not associated with). This is the mod where--if you're smart and lucky--you just might get Confederate biplanes dogfighting over the trenches of the Western Front in 1916.

Mmmmm...Confederate biplanes--does it get any cooler than that?

Don't spoil the mod's likely rep, but it also tosses some historical bones the Union way as well. While the North gets boned far less than the South in the vanilla game, rest assured they do get their share. SR (despite the name) addresses this, and restores to the Yankees some of their historical advantages.

As a special added bonus feature (at no extra cost to you!), SR adds the prospect of fighting the Great War (or something close to it) to the game, even when playing the Grand Campaign or 1861 scenarios. Franz Ferdinand won't always snuff it (especially if history goes off the rails beforehand), but in SR there is at least the possibility of some relief from the inevitable and tedious 70 end-years of peace in the vanilla game.

II. How to Install It
First of all, make sure OHGamer's V:R hotfixes are installed. Otherwise, an error is triggered whenever the 1861 scenario is loaded (with or without SR installed). You can download said hotfixes here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264737

Once you've got the mod file downloaded, unzip it into your Paradox Interactive/Victoria directory (where your regular V:R files are installed--no worries, SR doesn't overwrite anything).

Next, go to your Paradox Interactive/Victoria directory and click on the JSGME utility you just copied there. In JSGME, select "Southern Revolutions" from the list on the left and hit the ">" arrow. When JSGME has done its work, "Southern Revolutions" will appear on the right on the activated mods list. Start V:R as normal, and the majestic SR load screen will greet you and let you know it's almost time to kick some ass, Southern style.

When you're done with SR, just click on JSGME again and reverse the procedure above. That takes you back to the vanilla game. (JSGME works this same way for all your other mods. Try it out--it's a great utility!)

III. What's Changed/Fixed
1) The New South: What's new for the CSA in this mod? Ohhhh, nothing much. Just new & revised: AI files, graphics, POPs, order of battle, unit names, leaders, events, reforms, parties, borders, bug fixes, and factories.

But other than that, nothing much.

2) Get Over It, Already!: Now let's get to the heart of the CSA's problems in V:R, the Every Five Years War with the Union. There is what amounts to a "US Gets Over It and Moves On" AI file which is supposed to kick on in 1868. Trouble is, the triggering event is broken (Trust me, I tried everything short of cheat codes and that bastard just will not activate). SR fixes that--beat the USA, keep the peace, and the Yankees will get on with their lives as intended in the vanilla game.

To that end, the USA also loses the Southern states' provinces as cores when they make peace with the CSA. Just be wary it won't write all of them off. A beaten Union will let Georgia walk away, but take away Maryland or California and it's a different story. So keep this in mind when Ol' Scratch starts trying to make you greedy at the peace table.

Word to the wise: while a defeated Union will come to accept the CSA, they won't ever love it. If their relations deteriorate to a low enough degree, the North Will Rise Again and try to even up its record against the Confederacy.

3) The Mod To Begin The War To End All Wars: In an effort to alleviate the really long, dull seven decades of peace that are the norm after the War of Northern Aggression, this mod contains an event chain which replicates the historical onset of the Great War. Of course, history can go completely off the rails between 1836 and 1914, and these events take that into account--if Austria and Russia are BFF in the game in 1914, not even the Dual Monarchy's bullying of Serbia will lead to war, for example. Still, *something* provactive (probably) happens in 1914, and a Great War may indeed be the result, even if it doesn't 100% mirror the real one.

Please note these events can fire in either the Grand Campaign or the 1861 scenario, regardless of whether you're playing the CSA or not.

4) V.I.P. Treatment: With the kind permission of the hard-workin' modders over at the Victoria Improvement Project, a number of CSA-related events from the VIP mod are incorporated into SR. SR does them a few better by adding a number of flavor events for the CSA which take place in the extended V:R timeline.

IV. But the Damn Yankees Are Still Winning!

If you're losing to 80,000 man Union armies in the first month of the war, the problem is in your installation. You should install Victoria, the Victoria 1.04 patch, Revolutions, OHGamer's hotfixes, and the SR mod, in that order. Proper installation will cut the Yankees down to size.

If you need some strategy hints, HannibalBarca's tips on How To Curb Yankee Arrogance: http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263212

My tips are here:
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5813807&postcount=24

Now, go thrash those bluebellies!

VI. Tech Support
DO NOT contact the Victoria Improvement Project (VIP) team about technical problems with SR. They are not associated with this mod beyond allowing me to appropriate bits of the VIP for use here.

VII. Credit Where It's Due
"Massive amounts of Jim Beam were involved in the making of this mod."--Rocketman, late of the PI forums.

This mod incorporates some events from the Victoria Improvement Project (VIP) mod. Where this has been done, the VIP modder is credited by (nick)name. Extra special thanks to everyone associated with VIP for allowing me to borrow a bit of their doings.

To learn more about their uber-good mod, please check out the VIP forum: http://www.terranova.dk/

Thanks also to HMS Enterprize, OHGamer, jrb001, Frodon, Sempor Victor, Admiral Semmes, Volga, JohnnyReb, Armfeldt, Locmar, and Thorgrimm.

Last edited:
mib said:
So a Revolutions counterpart to your Doomsday mod?

That was the original idea, yes, and it is possible to go from one to the other using the converter.

As an aside, that combination makes for some true alternate history, as the games I've played with Confederate Hawaii and parallel Maginot Lines running the width of North America can attest.

Last edited:
I like this idea, as a lot of what you have listed was badly needed to increase the historicity of the ACW. But keep in mind what the great Civil War historian, Shelby Foote said about it, "If the South had ever came close to threatening the North, the North would have brought out the other arm." He meant that the Union fought the war with one arm tied behind its back. And a look at the Union army regimental histories out there you will see just as many regiments never fought as did. :D

Shelby and I agree on one thing, the best chance the South had for independence was to stay on the defensive and never attack the North. Remember Lee's only defeats were on Union soil, and they had the affect of rallying flagging union morale and gave Lincoln the chance to enact the Emancipation Proclamation.

On the Trent Affair, you have to remember that Prince Albert had the Queen's ear, and it would take a VERY bellicose Lincoln and Albert dropping dead before England and the US came to blows. Also remember, even though the PM was pro south, the MAJORITY of the English were ANTI SLAVERY. Truth be told, England could not recognise the south that still had slavery without casuing their own civil war over the subject. :D

Now France is another subject, give them an excuse and they would have recognised the COnfederacy, for one it kept big blue off their back while they began their own New World colony games.

On the subject of Wset Virginia, how could the Confederacy claim their secession was legal if they do not extend the right to their own?

Here are some small suggestions, Give the Union morale upgrade and a war weariness reductions if the South invades the North. Consequently if they stay strictly in the states that secede, they would get war weariness reductions based on the Union war weariness events NOT firing.

If the English DO recognise the Confederacy while they still have slavery, give them Massive unrest and revolts. That would show that even though the govt was pro south, the civilians were not, at least while the south still had slavery.

Make an event that fires after secession to give the Confederacy an option to end slavery, but of course a massive increase in unrest in the aristocrats, officers and other elite classes.

Dealing with West Viriginia, if they take it in peace negotiations, do not take the cores away from the Union, KEEP it as a bone of contention. As the Union could always use WV as a pointer to the hypocrisy of the Confeds in claiming their secession was legal, but then claiming WV's was not. :p

Sorry to ramble, but even though I am a die hard Unionist, my ancestors fought and died in Confederate butternut and would love to see them done justice in this Vicky fix of the ACW.

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Thanks for the reply! No need to apologize--I enjoyed your "ramble," good sir!

In reply:
1) Numbers alone do not decide wars, or else we in America would still be feteing our glorious wins in Vietnam and Iraq. ;) With all due respect to Mr. Foote, who can say what would've happened if Lee had taken DC and Philly in 1862, and was bound for Boston? Would the nation that almost elected a peace candidate as late as the fall of 1864 then be ready to bring its hand around to do anything other than throw in the towel?

2) I haven't tried it myself, but between the revised 1864 Election and "Have We Sacrificed Too Much?" events, the South could in theory win a defensive war using SR. At any rate, the chance is greater with the mod than without.

3) Whatever the majority of the English public wanted, Great Britain was prepared to go to war over the Trent affair and later to mediate peace, both on behalf of the slaveholding South (and, I might add, against the slaveholding North). Slavery was simply not an overriding concern for the British prior to the Emancipation Proclamation, and the matter is settled by that time in the game.

Sure, Prince Albert avoided war in real life, and the same will usually happen in SR. But what's the fun of playing Vicky if EVERYTHING always happens like it did in real life? :)

4) The South favored the rights of *states* to secede, not for parts of states to break away once the state as a whole had spoken. It was quite clear and consistent on that point, so no hypocrisy exists. At the very least, dividing states without their consent was (and is) in clear violation of the U.S. Constitution, and I find it doubtful the South would have stood for it, at least prior to 1863.

At any rate, I don't see West Virginia being any more a point of contention than the Dixie POPs in Missouri (again, at least prior to 1863).

Hmmm...maybe I should take WV off the table in 1863. Might make for some interesting possibilities...

5) Sure, Lee's defeats were good for Union morale because they were just that: defeats. If he wins instead, the game is changed. Is Union morale raised or broken by such large scale defeats?

Look at the number of times the only thing that kept the Union going was Lincoln's single-mindedness. What happens to the North if Abe winds up locked up in Libby Prison after the fall of DC?

6) Any really successful Southern invasion of the North has the terrible spectre of the Union Conscription Act event firing. That's more terrible (and realistic, with all due respect) than anything you suggest.

7) The Union still crushes the South more often than not, even with this mod. Oh, plus there's the whole "Won in Real Life" thing. Those justice enough? :D

Seriously, a Union player won't notice much of a difference with the mod. If he holds on to his capital and keeps up the fight, he will almost certainly win. Even when he loses, it won't be because he got screwed by the "Have We Sacrificed Too Much?" event anymore.

I'm just trying to open up the alternative outcomes, make the game a little more fun for the CSA player, and (hopefully) make things a bit more realistic. At least now the CSA has a fighting chance, and the North wins more honestly.

Thanks for the feedback! I hope you'll give the mod a try and let me know what you think of the actual play.

Last edited:
Sarmatia1871 said:
:) Looks good - are you planning on making more post-war alternate history events (eg. for elections, social developments, etc...) in future versions?

Thank you very much! Very flattering coming from someone whose mods I enjoy and admire a great deal.

Yes, I am considering some postbellum add-ons. Version 1.0 was about trying to get the ACW "right," and once I know that's done I do plan to move on to later events.

Thanks again for the kind words--hope you enjoy the mod!

Thorgrimm said:
Shelby and I agree on one thing, the best chance the South had for independence was to stay on the defensive and never attack the North. Remember Lee's only defeats were on Union soil, and they had the affect of rallying flagging union morale and gave Lincoln the chance to enact the Emancipation Proclamation.

I and many other historians probably would not neccesarily agree with a defensive reccomendation. There were certaily very persuasive arguments for this, but the offensive strategy of Lee had many merits also.

Truth be told, England could not recognise the south that still had slavery without casuing their own civil war over the subject. :D

Highly, highly, highly improbable...The Brtis didnt care that much about slavery. If war had broke out with the USA (which it had once, and nearly did again just before the ACW) war fever would have overtaken the slavery issue very quickly...the outrage over stopping the Trent was not small.

If the English DO recognise the Confederacy while they still have slavery, give them Massive unrest and revolts. That would show that even though the govt was pro south, the civilians were not, at least while the south still had slavery.

Again, this seems a bit too much for me, as stated- war fever would overtake the slavery issue very quickly.

Make an event that fires after secession to give the Confederacy an option to end slavery, but of course a massive increase in unrest in the aristocrats, officers and other elite classes.

Events such as these are already included in vicky (at least they were in pre-V:R)

Apologies Badass for highjacking your mod thread but I thought a counter-historical perspective might be helpful to you.

Once paradox fixes the major bugs in V:R I will be purchasing it and having a go of your mod :)

HMS Enterprize said:
Apologies Badass for highjacking your mod thread but I thought a counter-historical perspective might be helpful to you.

Once paradox fixes the major bugs in V:R I will be purchasing it and having a go of your mod :)

No problem at all, good sir--always good to hear from you!

Looking forward to hearing your reactions to SR--thanks for the post!

@CSABadass, I will of course use the mod. Have no fear in that aspect. :p

1) Numbers alone do not decide wars, or else we in America would still be feteing our glorious wins in Vietnam and Iraq. With all due respect to Mr. Foote, who can say what would've happened if Lee had taken DC and Philly in 1862, and was bound for Boston? Would the nation that almost elected a peace candidate as late as the fall of 1864 then be ready to bring its hand around to do anything other than throw in the towel?

You are quite correct in that assumption, but then again consider the Confederacy fighting a Union that threw in another 500,000 troops. There was only so much southron manpower. ;) Also consider ww2 and the Soviet Union, they ground down the Nazis with numbers, not strategy. And remember what ole Joe said, "Quantity had a quality all its own. Then also ask any Japanese soldier if American numbers meant nothing. :D

Sure, Prince Albert avoided war in real life, and the same will usually happen in SR. But what's the fun of playing Vicky if EVERYTHING always happens like it did in real life?

I most heartily agree, there would be no fun at all. Why I want to help to see this mod done. :D

5) Sure, Lee's defeats were good for Union morale because they were just that: defeats. If he wins instead, the game is changed. Is Union morale raised or broken by such large scale defeats?

Actually, yes because they OCCURRED on Union soil. If the South keeps to their own backyard the Union population would be more willing to let the south go. But just like the English or ANYBODY else on the planet, enter their turf, you get a morale increase to throw out the invader.

I am not suggesting throw out any of what you have, only to consider what the affects of Lee's invasion, successful or not, would do to Union morale. Sure they could force peace militarily, but I think to do so WOULD force the Union govts afterwards into a series of wars every few years or so, till Union 'honor' had been satisfied.

Then again, keeping in their own backyards Davis' claims that they only wanted to be left alone carries more weight diplomatically and with the Union population. Wich would IMO, increase Union war weariness a while decreasing Confederate weariness. :)

I'm just trying to open up the alternative outcomes, make the game a little more fun for the CSA player, and (hopefully) make things a bit more realistic. At least now the CSA has a fighting chance, and the North wins more honestly.

And I heartily support this worthy endeavor. Please do not consider my points as an attack on this mod, for they certainly are not. :D

Highly, highly, highly improbable...The Brtis didnt care that much about slavery. If war had broke out with the USA (which it had once, and nearly did again just before the ACW) war fever would have overtaken the slavery issue very quickly...the outrage over stopping the Trent was not small.

Here is a quote from a member of Parliment, John Bright, that voices what I am stating. I think the slavery issue was more important to the Brits than you think. :D

With regard to the United States, you know how much we hate slavery—that is, some years ago we thought we knew; that we have given twenty millions sterling—a million a year, or nearly so, of taxes for ever—to free eight hundred thousand slaves in the English colonies. We knew, or thought we knew, how much we were in love with free government everywhere, altho it might not take precisely the same form as our government. We were for free government in Italy; we were for free government in Switzerland; and we were for free government, even under a republican form, in the United States of America; and with all this, every man would have said that England would wish the American Union to be prosperous and eternal.

This speech was delivered at a banquet in Rochdale, December 4, 1861, and recognized at the time as having stemmed the tide of exasperation which had set in among the English over what was known as the “Trent” Affair. This affair was the forcible seizure (on board the English vessel Trent) in the Bahama channel November 8, 1861, of the Confederate commissioners to Europe, Mason and Slidell, by a United States captain named Wilkes.

Here is the speech in toto. Good one IMO. :D
Trent Affair speech by John Bright

Again, this seems a bit too much for me, as stated- war fever would overtake the slavery issue very quickly.

So you are stating that slavery only concerned the English when it affected them directly? ;)

@CSABadass, whatever you decide to do, I support this mod fully. And if you need help writing events let me know, and I will help in that aspect. Been writing a few events for my own Nappy mod. :D

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm said:
@CSABadass, whatever you decide to do, I support this mod fully. And if you need help writing events let me know, and I will help in that aspect. Been writing a few events for my own Nappy mod. :D

Thank you very much!

Just a quick post, just DLed the mod and will add ASAP. After that I will fire up the 1861 scen as the boys in butternut to see the changes. :D

When you need events written, just give me a shout.

Cheers, Thorgrimm

HannibalBarca said:
Good show, fellow Southerner, good show indeed. ;)

Don't you mean, Fellow American of Southron Descent? ;)

Cheers, Thorgrimm

CSABadass said:
Thank you, good sir!
Indeed. But I have a question now, you see. It is December, 1862. I control Philadelphia and Washington, yet are to afraid of the Yankee hordes to move any further. The only land they've taken from me is some Arizona desert. Just how random is the "A House divided" event for the Union? I have yet to see it fire. :(

EDIT-Bah. 19 Yankee divisions just thrashed the ANV in Philly.

Bismarck1 said:
I wonder does this work with regular vicky as I have yet to spend 10$ on V:R. good mod though hope you deal with an aftermath events and stuff like that.

Thanks for the kind words--I really appeciate them!

More events are on the way, soon as I feel like I got the War "right." (Well, that and putting the finishing touches on the next update for my DD mod).

So far as I know, SR should work with non-Rev. Vicky. I haven't tested it, but the beauty of JSGME is it's QED to get rid of a mod if there are problems.

Hope it works!

Last edited:
HannibalBarca said:
Indeed. But I have a question now, you see. It is December, 1862. I control Philadelphia and Washington, yet are to afraid of the Yankee hordes to move any further. The only land they've taken from me is some Arizona desert. Just how random is the "A House divided" event for the Union? I have yet to see it fire. :(

EDIT-Bah. 19 Yankee divisions just thrashed the ANV in Philly.

In SR, if the Yankees have 4+ CSA provinces, that event won't fire. So if you lost enough desert, the Yankees will stay in the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.