• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Apelstav

Captain
72 Badges
May 26, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
Sons of the North - An Alternate History of the Ynglings

Prologue - Wrath's End

Part One - The Sins of the Father
To Pay the Bloodprice
Remembering the days of old...
Things we lost in the fire

Prologue - Wrath's End

March, 1066

The air was wet with the coming of rain.

Spring came late to Norway, even here, at the southern fjord of Viken, snow had just recently receded and with thaw came the seeming everlasting rain. The grey skies failed to contrast against the greying wood of the palisade surrounding the hill above the small town of Oslo. The town was small, or so at least Olafs father had told him, in Olafs eyes the town always seemed bustling with life. Of course, his father had wandered the world for many years during his exile, had travelled the rivers of the eastern land, served many a lord and fought many foes under strange stars. The great Harald Yngling had even served the mighty emperor of legendary Miklagård in his wars against numberless barbarians, and had returned home with mountains of gold to lay claim to the throne, and to the throne he had been raised. Young Olaf on the other hand, had never travelled further than Nidaros in the north and Kungahälla in the south. The eastern forests of Värmland and the seas of the west was as of yet mysteries to him although his father had told him that one day Olaf would ride the longships far and wide, commanding his own hirdmen and tear at the fat belly that was the green isles of Britain and the lands of the Franks. Maybe he would even travel east to see the fabled lands where his father had once roamed.

Olaf stood above the gate in the palisade, in the one tower of the fort, watching the horizon, fingers on the hilt of the sword he had carried but a fortnight. A gift from his father, for the upcoming war. The waters of the fjord was as grey as the skies. The world was as cold, wet iron. His father probably saw it as fitting. The king was in council with the jarls, had been for several days now, trying to gain their support for his newest ambition. For years they had resisted his war against the Danes, resulting in the killing of Einar Eindridesson, and thus the image of Einar had become the one enemy Harald had never been able to slay. The men of Trondelag, who Einar had once led, had risen against Harald and the king had not been able to commit his entire force against Sweyn Estridsen, Usurper of Denmark. And even though Sweyn had failed time and time again in the field Harald had been unable to hold the land he conquered. This time his father had said things would turn out different. Olaf looked back upon the longhouse where the council was held. Most of the time he sat at his fathers side during council but this day his father had dismissed him early, giving him some precious time outside.

The waited rain suddenly began to fall, not the slow dripping that always seemed to fall in the early spring, the sort of rain one learned to ignore if one wanted to see the sky before summer, but a violent downpour, soaking everything within sight in a matter of minutes. Olaf quickly jumped down from the tower and ran for the longhouse, even before he was halfway there he was wet unto the bone, his long blonde hair clinging to his head and neck. Outside the house stood two of his fathers hirdsmen, one of them, a tall, fair-haired youth just a year older than Olaf, smiled at him. The man’s name was Erik, and the two had grown up together. Erik was the son of Olafs wet nurse and had followed the King when he moved his residence from Nidaros to Oslo years before. The two were friends, as much as a son of a king could be friends with anyone, and Erik had always been much more of a brother to Olaf than Magnus ever could have been.

“Nice weather, don't you think, my Lord?”

The older guard, a grey-stained wolf of a man called Shatterspear laughed a four-toothed laugh at Olaf as the boy tried to get the worst wet out of his hair before stepping inside.

“Oh, in you go, lad. Ere's no'dryin up ou'ere in this. The rain's comin so hard it almost bounces up me'nose.”

Olaf gave the old guard a look. When he was younger he had always feared the grey, damp-smelling man. The fact that the guard was the only one who could handle his father when the king was in his cups was part of that too. There was nothing in the world even half as fearsome as king Harald when the man was drunk, and a man being able to tame that beast must truly be at least as dangerous as the beast itself. Some of the older guards, those who had travelled with Harald in the east and been with him at Miklagård, had told Olaf that his father hadn't always been like that. They had told him of a young man who liked to sing and who stole women out of young lordlings fingers at court, but the man they had followed south had changed when he came back north. The accusations after his nephew's death, the killing of Einar. The burden of a crown which had broken many a man had not broken Harald. It had merely changed him, hardened him, stripped away all the colour and life that had once surrounded the iron at the core of the man.

Inside the longhouse the air was damp. The house differed from most longhouses in having two stories, not the single one. This was one of the few benefits coming with his fathers position as king. Thus the thralls and the animals was kept below, and his father, himself and some of the older hirdsmen slept upstairs together with a few freemen servants. The house was perhaps the largest one in all of Norway, except maybe the longhouse they had left to Magnus in Nidaros when Harald decided to leave the town in the hands of his eldest son and position his court at Oslo. Surely it was the most grand longhouse in all of the north, or so had the hirdsmen claimed at least, and among them were many who had travelled far and wide and had seen both Skara, Birka and Jelling. Olaf pulled of his wet tunic and was handed a dry, warm one by a thrall and seated himself by the kitchen fire. The cook, an elderly thrall-woman who had always seemed sorrowfully fond of Olaf gave him a fresh-baked bun of bread and a bowl of broth from the ham cooking in the fire before she scampered of to continue her work for the feast. The thralls had been working endlessly the last few days to be able to prepare the every-nightly feasts that came with the jarls meeting. Not only had all the jarls of mainland Norway gathered, but they had brought twenty men each, bolstering the forts populace with over a hundred men.

“Olaf!” The voice was that of Olaf's brother Magnus. Even calling out loud the mans voice sounded a bit faint. Magnus had aged half a lifetime by the look of it, since he became jarl of Nidaros and Trondelag.

“Yes, brother?”

“Our father has need of you. Come!”

Olaf put the half-eaten bun aside and marched immediately towards the stair to the main hall now serving as council chambers for the lords of the realm. When he entered the room his father motioned for him to sit down at the empty seat at the table, between jarl Aslak and jarl Jon. Had Olaf been of age, his seat would have been that to the immediate left of his father, Magnus taking the right hand seat, now that seat was taken by Johan Magnusson, leader of the kings hird, a position once held by Magnus and that might one day come to be Olafs. Should one day be Olafs. His father hardly spared him a glance, not that Olaf minded, he tended to shiver under his fathers intense azure gaze, and he did not want to look weak in front of the jarls.

“...but my Lord. The Saxons will surely unite the minute we set foot upon their shore. We have no strongholds left on the islands, no one will give us shelter or supplies. Yes, one thing would be to raid, to burn and pillage, but to conquer? To hold the land against Harolds combined might? No. It cannot be done!” The man who spoke was the aged Aslak, jarl of Rogaland. He had been a respected man in his life but Harald had always told Olaf that the man was a coward at heart. However the man met Haralds gaze in stride. Even at sixty-five Aslak was well-built and strong. He walked freely and sat in council with a sword at his belt.

“Let us ravage the islands and bring home all the wealth of Britain, let her sons fall under our axes and the rivers of England run with the blood of Saxons, like in the days of old, but why should my sons bleed for you, Hardrada? Bleed so you can put another crown upon that towhead scalp of yours? No. I will not have it!” The jarls of Vestlandet murmured in agreement to this.

Olaf realised that the council did not at all go as planned. His father had been sure of the allegiance of the jarls in the west. His concern had been convincing the jarls of the northern lands to join him, or at least to approve so he didn't lose one crown to gain another. Aslak was well on the way to ripping this, Haralds newest ambition, to shreds.

“Bah! I tell you Aslak. Edward is dead and the unity of England lies in tatters. The northern lords hates Harold fiercely. They will never join him. They might even join us against him, given the right incentives. Harold spends his days hiding under his bed, in fear of the Leofricsons, in fear of the Bastard on the other side of the channel...”

“Yes, and when you have taken on Harold shall you then vanquish William too, harassed by the remnants of the saxon army? You don't have the men, and you won't lead mine to death!” The old jarl stood up suddenly. Seemingly preparing to leave the council he gave Harald a hard look and then spat at the floor.

“So you will be running back to your walls then, Aslak? All the better. You were never the man your father was. Go home, and teach your boys to hide behind their mothers skirts as you hid behind yours. Or was it just that you felt more at home among the skirts, so it wouldn't seem so odd when your father fucked you at night?”

The look on Aslaks face was one of pure rage. The once dignified looking face was twisted into a red, blubbering mask of wrath. The old man suddenly drew his sword in a strangely fluid motion for such a old man. He then started a lunge at the unarmed, unarmoured king, still sitting quite calm in his seat at the end of the table. The lords was at their seat. Magnus had drawn his sword and threw himself between his father and the grey behemoth. However, the grandness of the gesture, it was ultimately quite unnecessary. Before Aslak had taken three steps he stopped, his roar interrupted, looked down at his chest and saw the bloody tip of a sword sticking out of it. He tried to speak, but only bloody bubbles came dripping from his mouth. The sword slid out of his chest as he turned around and looked upon the face of his killer. A smooth face. The face of a boy. Aslak collapsed as Olaf dropped his sword.

“Let that be a lesson to all of you!” The kings voice seemed like thunder. “Go home. Be prepared. Those of you who do not come when I call shall see a fate to make that of Aslak and Eindridesson seem merciful, and remember the folly of drawing iron against a man under his own roof!

Olaf stood, surprised he wasn't shaking. He met his fathers appraising look without a wisp of fear.

Last edited:
The Sins of the Father
To Pay the Bloodprice

November, 1066

Olaf was leading his small group of men down towards the town of Bergen, seat of the bishop Nidaros. Bergen was a sad excuse for a town compared to most in the realm, just recently founded as a gift to the bishop from the king the town as of yet consisted of a dozen longhouses surrounded by a ditch and stakes. The bishop himself resided in a stone house, an oddity in Norway and one Olaf had been quite impressed by the first time he saw it as a boy. The only structures made out of stones in Norway was a few churches, the one in Nidaros was the largest one, and in truth was as close a stronghold the church had in Norway, yet Abbondio had chosen this chance to consolidate his power through a seat of his own when given. It had also given Harald all the power of the church behind him, when so needed. That was part of why Olaf had been sent here. The men, haggard and staggering from a long march through hostile territory, smiled at the sight of the town and the promised rest. They had been fighting for months, and a strange war it had been.

Aslaks eldest son, Svein, had met with Harald and Olaf in Bergen a month after the death of his father. Abbondio had agreed to mediate only to find that there was no conflict since Svein, a small, round man, had heard of his fathers demise from the huscarls that had brought the dead lords body home with them. At first he didn't even demand the appropriate blood-price. Not that Olaf had done anything wrong in striking Aslak down, the man having drawn his blade against his liege-lord, nut fact remained that Harald had provoked the man and marred his honour. After barely one hour the jarl of Rogaland fell on his knee and swore allegiance to Harald, and the stunned king had to push a bag of gold into the man's hands before Svein swaggered of to tell his men of the outcome. That night they had feasted, and Svein and his huscarls had drunk until they fell asleep in their seats. Olaf had been seated at his fathers right side and had drunk but a little, as his father had done, and after Svein had begun to snore loudly the two had left the feast.

“Never trust that man,” his father had said. “He will sing you everlasting praise while hiding a knife behind his back.” He spat. “For a great man as Aslak to father such a coward. The old man must be weeping in his grave. I wish I didn't need him so that I could strangle him myself.”

“But... father... didn't you say Aslak was a coward? I mean... that day in council.”

“Ah, yes, but I only hoped that he would change his mind if goaded enough. I... I went to far. However it served it's purpose. I now have the western jarls with me, as well as Trondelag. We should be ready to sail before summer.”

His father hadn't known how wrong he was, but on the other hand, how could he? None of them had truly expected Aslaks bastard to take up arms, nor that hundreds of the men of Rogaland would join them. The rebellion had spread like wildfire and just a few weeks after Svein had assured them of his and his men's loyalty Harald had realised that Svein hadn't really spoken for those his father once had governed. Not that Olaf could blame them. He had met Orm Aslaksson a few years back and the bastard truly showed more of Aslak than Svein had. So much for the churches claims of the virtues of marriage, he thought for himself. Orm had alluded them for months, like his namesake he had slithered into the forests and the hills, hiding, striking only when he was sure of winning only to retreat into the shadows once more when the battle turned against him. Once Johan had been able to corner him, only to have his force hacked to shreds by a ferocious assault headed by the bastard himself. The hirdscaptain had lost an eye in the attempt to stop Orm from escaping and had almost lost his head reporting his failure to the king.

The small force had finally reached the town and rode up to the church where Abbondio stood waiting. The bishop always had a slightly disdainful smirk on his lips when he looked at anyone except for Harald. The king had once claimed that this was because Abbondio feared him, yet Olaf suspected something entirely different. Abbondio was the one man in the kingdom who the king adamantly refused to anger, and Abbondio was also one of very few people who ever had beheld the great Harald Hardrada kneel in front of him. Olaf had realised how much his fathered needed this man many years ago and thus he realised the delicacy of his mission here. Olaf jumped of his horse and fell on one knee in front of the bishop and kissed the old man's ring. The bishop then gave him his blessing, took his hand and helped him up.

“Welcome, young Lord. Any news of the vile bastard Orm?” Abbondio had, in the beginning of the summer, advocated full amnesty for the rebels if they but swore allegiance to the crown. This had however changed when Orm had begun burning down the bishops own fields in one of his first excursions into Bergenhus. This had been Orms one great mistake so far, in turning the church against him he had assured himself of losing his life, since he could have no real hope of accomplishing anything with such a small force as his.

“No, your Holiness. We have brought down many of his men these last two months, but Orm himself alludes us still. However we expect him to retreat well into Rogaland over the winter. We shall have no real trouble from him until thaw.” The two walked into the church.

“Seldom have early snow given me such peace before. We live in strange times, my son.”

“Yes, your Holiness is right.”

“Will you reside here over winter then?”

“No, sadly I must return to Oslo and my father, if naught else but to gather more men for spring. Father insists we must root out Orm before next summer.” They had reached the altar and knelt together, crossing themselves and prayed quietly for a fem moments.

“So, your father still insists?” the bishop said as he had risen once more. “I had hoped that he would realise his folly. Aslak words were wise.”

“My father is King of the Norse, your Holiness. What is folly for southerners is deeds of great honour for us.” Olaf wished he had sounded just a bit more sure of himself.

The bishop eyed him for a moment, then turned around, lighting a candle upon the altar.

“And now he has sent you here in hope of garnering my support of this... last adventure of his? Is that is” Olaf nodded solemnly and the bishop then continued. “Well. It is no secret that Godwinson is no true friend of the church. His claim to the throne is strenuous at best. But this war. Christians striking down christians? I have worked my entire life trying to get you northerners truly accepted as civilised men and now this? It won't be taken well.” The bishop paused.

“And yet you have friends near the Holy Father? Powerful friends with the possibility to advise him, garner his support for my fathers claim against Harolds?”

“Yes. This I have. But I have my price, young Lord.” Olaf gave the man a shocked look, Abbondio, the ever so seemingly pious. The bishop gave a small laugh. “Oh, my Lord, nothing quite so crass. I have more than enough right here. Given more the archbishop in Bremen would start to worry and I don't have time or energy for the politics of the clergy. My wish is to bring your people into the Father's light. My price, Olaf, is you. Your father is old and he is of a dying breed. My price is that with him, the scourge of the seas will end. My price is that the raids ends, that the Vikings disappears forever, that the Norse under you finally embrace the Christian faith with open hearts.”

“But Magnus...”

“Magnus is ill. He has been ill since the day he was born, and I do not believe he will return from Britain, if he ever sets sail. You will be king after Harald. The church will back you, and many of the jarls already respect you. The throne will be yours and then, then you shall remember my price, no matter the outcome of your fathers war.”

Last edited:
The Sins of the Father
Remembering the days of old...

February, 1067

Winter in Oslo had been a long and dreary affair. Early, and heavy, snow had closed of large part of the countryside, and a cold December had frozen the fjord, making seafaring that much more difficult. Not that ice and snow ever could shut the Norse inside of their homes, nor from travelling the seas, even though they clinged to the coast and rode sleighs from the coast up to the kings holdfast.

After spending a summer away from his father Olaf had finally realised how utterly suffocating he found the presence of the man who had raised him. It was not that Olaf did not love and respect his father, no, it was just that Harald's constant presence meant a constant edge of dread poking Olafs side. He had never known himself to fear his father before, but after leading men of his own, riding free in the mountains and sleeping under the open sky Olaf had come to realise that he had lived his entire life in fear of his fathers anger. Harald was after all a man of terrible temper, and Olaf had finally come to understand the name Hardrada, a name his father tried to shake himself of these days, now when he needed the jarls. Thus Harald had entertained many a son of the jarls of Vestlandet, and those men of acclaim and wealth who resided in Viken and Oppland. Olaf, never a great drinker or singer like his father, took little joy in the constant feasting after the first few weeks and instead found himself longing for spring and the return to his new-found freedom.

His father had hoped that Olaf would befriend the future heads of the great families of Norway, but Olaf found few of them to his liking. The conversation with Abbondio at the close of fall still haunted his thoughts. These are a dying breed as well, he thought many a time during the late evenings when the men sat singing, drunk on mead and ale, at his fathers table. His father had constructed a great mead hall during the last summer, thinking that his longhouse was not a fit hall of a king. The jarls had tried to convince Harald to return to Nidaros, but Harald stubbornly refused, digging his feet into the ground. A huskarl, one from Telemark, if Olaf remembered correctly, had jested one night, that the king must surely fear to look upon the shade of old Einar who surely must haunt the keep of his bane. The huskarl had been found, tongue nailed to the floorboards with a slith throat, in an abandoned storehouse a few nights later. The spirits at that nights feast had been a bit dampened and the men of Telemark had soon left Oslo. Harald knew all too much of how to make enemies.

Yet the day finally came when the ice broke up upon the fjord and longships once again anchored in town when Harald sent for his son. Olaf almost ran to the longhouse, eager as he was to leave Oslo and when he burst into his fathers chamber he found the king in session with a red-haired youth.

“...and so the bastard lies with a boar tusk in his belly. Apparently he slew the great beast with his hunting knife after it had gutted him, but alas, it was to late,” the young man smiled a glittering, evil little smile. “But of course, if he was to die he would have done so long ago, and he had been injured for several weeks when I left his keep, but I tell you, king Harald, the man won't mount that great beast of a destrier of his for many months yet.”

At this Harald let out a great bowl of laughter and slammed his fist into the table. “The bastard of Normandie laid low by a pig? Ha!” Olaf finally realised who they were talking about, first believing that the youth had spoken of Orm, the bastard son of Aslak who Olaf had spent the past summer chasing in the west. His father gave him a glance in the doorway and motioned for him to come inside the chamber.

“Olaf, this is Aethelstan Hakonsson, son of one of my old companions, whom settled in the town of York years ago. Old Hakon sent him too us with word from both The Isles and Normandy.” The king smiled grimly. “And it seems that this delay of ours might as of yet serve me still. Williams invasion has come to naught, and Morcar and his brother are sharpening their blades meanwhile Godwinson's brothers and sons are at each others throats. The house of England is crumbling even before I have set foot on her shores. Ha!” Aethelstan laughed with the king, and Olaf forced a smile.

“You sent for me father. Is it time for me to return to the field?”

“Yes, son, yes. You must root out this rebellion. Bah! I should be out there myself but the jarls... they are like young milk-maids, all of them, ever needing my attention. Nevermind them though. I want you to find this snake among our reeds, and nail his head to our door.” His father had grown a certain fondness of nails this winter, it seemed. “Aethelstan here will accompany you. If he is a bit as skilled as his father ever was, you will be lucky to have him watch your back.” Olaf glanced at the man, still smiling that wicked smile, slightly broadened after Harald's remark about nailing Orm's tongue to a door. Are you hoping he will rub of on me, father? Am I not bloodthirsty enough to be the son of the great Hardrada?

“Then he shall be most welcome,” Olaf gave Aethelstan a curt nod.

“You will take a hundred of my hirdsmen, choose among them yourself, but none of those who guard my chambers. Other than that you should be able to round up some green boys and old raiders looking for glory down at the docks.” The king stopped suddenly, and rose to pick up a fine wooden box from behind the table. “And you will take this, as well,” he said and opened the box to show a fine sword, inlaid with the seal of Norway in bronze and silver at the pommel of the hilt. The sword looked beautiful, a weapon finer than any Olaf had ever laid his eyes upon. The weapons carried by the Norse warriors were, of course, good steel for the most part, but the weapons were generally regarded as tools, and were rarely more exquisite than a hammer or a saw. “A man should have a blade fit for his position,” the king murmured.

“Thank you, father,” Olaf picked up the blade, the balance was excellent and felt the sword felt excellent in his arm.

“It suits you. Now, you will leave for Svein's holdfast in Rogaland in three nights. Pick your men by the morrow.”

* * *​

The smell of charred wood and burnt flesh lay heavy inside the fort. The gate had been broken down and laid shattered across the yard. the longhouses and the small wooden keep was half-ruined husks and the bodies, the bodies was everywhere. They had been met by the head of a man, one of Svein's closest guards, who had been with him at Bergen last spring, on a stake. The man's lips had been torn of by crows and the eyes was just empty holes. The news of what had happened here had reached them the evening after they had left their longships down at the coast. After that there was still a days march to reach Sola and they had met many survivors on the road, and so Olaf had thought himself prepared of the sights that awaited him. After all he had seen men bleed and die last summer, and he had hanged a dozen of Orm's companions and ridden past their rotten bodies months later. The stench, the stench is everywhere. This is the stench of war, the one for which my father so longs. I will never get it off of me.

Most of the men seemed as disturbed as Olaf felt, and a few of the younger men had thrown up at the gate. The older faces were grim. They had seen this before, yet maybe never quite so bad Olaf realised. Few men in Norway these days were the raiders their fathers and grandfathers had been, and the hirdsmen were more guards than soldiers. There were of course those who had carried torches during his fathers purges in Trondelag, but Harald's rule, though grim, was through stating examples, not outright slaughter. Harald would hang a dozen men, steal away troublemakers in the night who would be found, killed in a gruesome manor, but he would never go this far. Or at least Olaf hoped his father never had gone this far.

As they reached the keep itself Olaf sent of some of the younger men, led by his old friend Erik, to make camp a good way from the scene, preferably one upwind, and though he was sorely tempted to join them, to leave this place, he forced himself to stay. Olaf knew that his position in the world was based upon the amount of respect he could command, and he could not have men speak of him as a coward and instead he forced himself to enter the hall of Sola. The bodies in here was mostly women and children, and a few odd guardsmen who had fallen whilst protecting them. A few of the guards, most of whom Olaf recognised from Bergen, had been hanged from the sealing. Orm was apparently a man who held grudges, or at least that was the only reason for the hangings Olaf could figure. Then he came upon the body of a woman and almost ran out of the hall.

The woman had been quite old, and dressed in a fine, blue woolen dress she could only have been the wife of old Aslak and mother of jarl Svein. She lay across the table in the hall, blue wool stained dark with blood. Her gown had been cut open in the body, and her belly laid open. Then her ribs had been broken of and laid out in a grotesque manner, as to resemble wings. Her face was twisted in a mask of pure agony and her eyes stared open, somehow Olaf did not believe the mother-lady of Sola had been dead when her torture began. He could only hope that she had not lingered long. Knut, a hirdsman who Olaf had appointed second-in-command this campaign approached, laying his hand upon Olaf's shoulder.

“My Lord, what do you want to do?” Olaf just stared at the man, not understanding what he meant at first. Then Knut nodded towards the womans body and Olaf knew.

“We cannot leave them like this. These were my fathers vassals, sworn men and their wives. Who would do something like this?” Knut shook his head at the question.

“I've heard of it. There are always rumors of this man or that man carving the blood-eagle, but I cannot think many of them ever done it. I have never heard of it being done to a woman before, and an old woman at that,” the man spoke with a tinge of disgust. “However it fits with the man this time, or at least with what have been said of him.”

“What do you mean?”

“There have been rumours going around this winter, rumours that Orm have renounced Christ and the almighty Father and returned to the old gods. Some men love such stories and so they spread like wildfire. I even heard one drunken old fool saying that while Orm certainly is a bastard, he is not the bastard of Aslak, but that of Old One-Eye,” Knut shook his head again. “Of course the same man claimed that he had spent ten years living beneath the waves in a mermaid's hall, giving her five babes before returning to the surface.”

“The son of a god? I will run my blade through his guts and then we shall see if he survives,” he then sighed heavily. “We cannot dig graves for all of them. It would delay us yet a day and we must be close to him. We must give these people revenge, rather than proper burials.”

Olaf turned around, looking out over the hall.

“Burn it.”

Only just saw this. Nice presentation and well-written, I like seeing a native's presentation of the North's history, and I love CK narratives. I usually find it hard to follow AARs without pictures, for whatever reason, but this didn't give me any problems, which indicates quality in the writing (in my opinion). Subscribed.

Yea. I have to agree with you on the issue of pictures. Many people, probably myself included, could be turned away by the wall of text I've posted this far, but it's nice to know that some people manage to read through it anyway. Part two, beginning in one-two updates will probably have pictures and I will try to return and edit in some in the early stuff as well.

Thank you for the comment!

The Sins of the Father​
Things we lost in the fire

March, 1067

The days after arriving at Sola Hall had been difficult, for the men as well as for Olaf. They had gathered the bodies in the great hall, and Olaf had sent a few men to search the surrounding homesteads for firewood. It had been dirty, disgusting work. The dead was not yet putrid, but their blood, though dried, had a way of sticking to Olaf's hands, but worst of all was that burnt stench, not at all unlike burnt pork roasting on a open fire. He worked beside his men, not feeling able to ask them to do this if he was not there by their sides. He saw Knut eyeing him out of the corner of his eyes, the man was stonefaced but Olaf thought he could see a small tinge of approval in those hard grey eyes.

After an hour or so Erik had returned along with some of the younger men who had went to set up camp. Their faces were ashen grey and Olaf could tell they wished that they could be anywhere else but here, but he knew they had returned as to not lose face to their elder brothers-in-arms who had remained with Olaf at the keep. Erik look startled when he saw his lord standing, breeches covered in sooth and hands covered in black blood and ash, yelling commands to a group of men twice as old as he. Maybe it was the commands and not the yelling which made him stare, Olaf would think later that evening. It's not every day you see your oldest friend telling people to burn a hundred and fifty bodies of men, women and children in life sworn to serve his house. Erik would never look at him quite the same after that day. It was as if a spike had been driven in between them. It was not that they would not remain friends, but rather as if Erik had come to see the difference of their positions for the first time, and then settled to be Olaf's hand and not his brother.

Finally, after several more hours, Olaf and Knut was sure that no bodies had been left to rot and enough firewood had been gathered as to keep the fire living until the wooden keep would catch fire. Olaf knew that burning down the keep was unnecessary, even foolish. They had not found Svein among the dead, Knut guessed and Olaf had to agree that that could only mean Orm had stolen his brother away, and so Olaf was burning down the keep of one of his fathers sworn men. At least any new jarl would have liked to claim the keep for himself. But Olaf couldn't stand the thought of leaving the place to be inhabited once again, the black spots of blood on the walls forever telling the tale of Orm's and his retainers deeds. They had sent search parties out into the woods most of them searching for any survivors but one small party of men was to find the trail of Orm's host. Knut had claimed that the host must have been at least a hundred man strong as to take down Svein's own men, so finding their trail should not be particularly difficult. Of course many of Orm's men were skilled woodsmen, how would he else have stayed hidden most of last summer? But a hundred men could not but leave a easily followed trail. Thus it was a decimated force who stood watching Olaf light his torch and as the sun settled over the hills of Rogaland, the hall of the line of Sola burned.

burningfort.jpg

Sola Hall burning *

The march to camp was not long, yet it felt like hours. The mood of the men was downcast as the promise of shelter, support and reinforcements during the campaign burned behind them. They could of course send for reinforcement from Telemark, Agder, or even Oslo or Bergen, but it would take a fortnight before any support at all could reach them, and Orm was close. To close not to go after him. The older men looked grim. Awaiting battle on the morrow, or the day after that, or the day after again. They knew that they probably couldn't match Orm's force in strength of numbers, yet no woodsmen could hope to match the hird in battle. The younger men, the unbloodied boys and new recruits however, was not as sure of themselves. The carnage at Sola had disturbed them, and few of them spoke more than a word or two during the march.

As they arrived in camp men sat down solemnly in small groups around the fires, staring into the flames, drinking and eating absently.

“Horrible business this, my Lord,” it was the voice of Knut. The captain had taken Olaf unaware and he almost jumped at the sound. “Most search parties have returned by now. No survivors, no bodies in the woods. Nothing,” he paused. “It could be that Svein and some of his guard managed to break out and have sought shelter in a village somewhere...”

Olaf raised his hand to stop the man from continuing. “No, Knut. Both you and me know that's a false hope. The guards whom was with Svein at Bergen last year were all dead, They were the ones who had been hanged back there, and since Svein wasn't among them we can only assume Orm brought him with him. Why? Well, who knows... but I don't believe Svein will enjoy his brother's company.”

Knut went silent after that, staring into the flames of the cooking fire for a long while before he left his young lord to dreams of fire and blood.

* * *​

Knut couldn't sleep that night. Unlike Olaf it was not dreams of the ones they had given to the flames who haunted him, but rather the young lord who had set the fire ablaze. Knut had served many a lord during his life before befriending and swearing fealty to Harald when the king had returned from Miklagård many years ago, that had been before king Magnus died, before Einar and before Trondelag, when the Hardrada still was known more for his roaring laughter than his temper. Knut sighed heavily. Remembering the fair-haired gigant, a Norse warrior in his prime if there ever had been one, Knut felt oddly nostalgic. Had it not been for the fact that Harald had once saved his life Knut would probably have left the man's service long ago. Many of the old retainers already had. Few had remained after Trondelag after seeing what their king had done to their own people, and fewer still had remained when that king, the fearless Harald Hardrada Sigurdsson had went cowering in Oslo.

Knut sighed again. He had served any a lord during his days, but none quite like the boy he now followed. Harald had always looked down on the boy, favoring his more warlike yet sickly elder son. Magnus was a fierce warrior, although honestly not a great one. His illness made him weak in body and prone to fits of coughing which severely hindered him in battle. Still Harald had mostly overlooked his younger son, and Knut could understand him, since so little of what Harald valued in himself had been inherited by Olaf. The boy had non of Harald's spirit, he was not strong or particularly skilled with the sword, neither a great war-leader. But the boy was strong, just not in the way Harald wanted his sons to be. Olaf was a true leader of men, a bright young man who led through willpower rather than through the sword. Not a leader such as Norway wants but one who can lead her to greatness, he thought, remembering the bloodstained hands of the young man as he with a grim face had carried a dead child to the fire. He will be a king of whom the skald's shall sing of for hundreds of years, yet they won't sing of war, but of the peace he gave the realm. A world-weary man smiled into the night. He had found a new reason to serve his king.

* Picture taken from Up your ego@Flickr, Some rights reserved

Olaf's got great potential in him, and a good heart. One wonders if he will find Orm and his brother - surely sooner or later he will demand ransom, unless he's simply out to get revenge on Olaf's father for some past slight. A good update all in all!

Sadly, the tale of Olaf and his search for Orm will have to end here. The save-file got corrupted during the reign of his son Siward, which kind of put me of from writing, hence the silence over the last weeks. With the release of Crusader Kings 2 I will probably do an AAR on that once I've played it a bit more.

Ouch, that sucks. My sympathies.

Yea, it was really dissapointing. Siward's reign would have made quite a story, with the whole power-shift from Norway to England, but alas, I guess I will find another god story soon. Almost had one the other day, centering on Edgar the Atheling. Might be that I will do a short AAR on that play eventually, since I have the notes, but I really wanna go for the dynasty and not just the lone hero.