• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Remful

First Lieutenant
79 Badges
Apr 27, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
Sons of Perun: A History of the House of Poniatowski
SRCOgja.png

The history of Eastern Europe, the Slavic Faith, and the Slavic Union has undenibly been intertwined with one family, the House of Poniatowski. Known for their Red Bull banner and fierce hold on power, the Poniatowski have shaped our nation, and perhaps even the world itself. Guiding us in Perun's name for centuries, they have ruled us through good times and bad.

This book, written with the blessing of the University of Marienburg and His Radience the Velky Volhv, will attempt to tell the tale of how our noble nation came to be. From the early days of bloodshed and violence during the Age of Kings
, to the expansionist days of the Empire, and through to the start of the Unionist Era we enjoy today.

With that said, I hope you enjoy learning about our rich heritage.

Piotr Kujawski, Professor of History, University of Marienburg.

(( So, now that Storm Kings decided to fall to save corruption, I bring you another History Book from another world. This time in Eastern Europe in the Charlemagne bookmark.
Now, I do actually have goals for this playthrough:

• Reform the Slavic Faith (And attempt to remain Slavic)
  • Form the Slavic Union
  • Conquer as far East as possible, leave the West alone unless absolutely necessary.

Fun fact, having Poniatowski as the family name was random chance. When it came up, I had to go for it. King of Poland and all that..

As always, I hope you enjoy and do chime in if you have any 'lore' ideas for this world.

-Rem))

Contents
Glossary of Terms and Notable Bloodlines
Glossary of Terms

• Age of Kings: The time period between 769AD to 841AD(1 PR)
  • Zapadoslavia: The time period between the founding of Zapadoslavia in 841AD and the founding of the Slavic Union.
  • Unionist Era: The time after the founding of the Slavic Union.
  • Chief Electors: The various Chiefs and High Chiefs that elect the King of Poland, usually from within their own ranks.
  • 'Put Under the Axe': The common term for sacrificing criminals or enemies to Perun. This is not a catch-all term, however, and only used for those guilty of high crimes, or enemies of note. As it is considered an honour, Heretics are NEVER 'Put under the axe'
Notable Bloodlines

• Andrzej I Poniatowski: (Died 799AD) The legendary founder of the Poniatowski line. All representitives of the family are descented from him.
  • Ljudevit Vlastimirovic: (Died 849AD) A known and noteworthy exemplar of the reformed Slavic faith, who died shortly after the reformation.
  • Matylda I Wladyslawovna: (Died 873AD) A zealous and fervant worshipper of the reformed Slavic faith, famed for her hatred of Heretics and Old Believers.
  • Milman Senulatovic: (Died 876AD) A remarkably humble man, known for his extraordinary piety.
  • Terenty Slovensky: (Died 879AD) Known for his defensive wars against Norway, and the lengths he went to to strengthen the faith in his lands

Last edited:
Andrzej I Poniatowski: The First King of Poland
Andrzej I Poniatowski
'The First King of Poland'
0BapiX6.png

776AD - 799AD

Previous Title:
None

Spouses and Concubines:
Rachlit Babenberger, Queen
Ludmila, Concubine
Konstancja Choscisko, Concubine
Lucja Sierdzki the Sharp Tongued, Concubine

Issue:
Dobronega (Born 772 AD, Died 795 AD)
Stanislaw (Born 774, Died 793 AD)
Tomasz (Born 775 AD)
Salomea (Born 777 AD)
Nadzieja (Born 777 AD)
Piotr (Born 777 AD)
Jaroslaw (Born 779 AD)
Katarzyna (Born 779 AD)
Wieslaw (Born 779 AD)
Dobrawa (Born 781 AD)
Konrad (Born 781 AD)
Andrzej (Born 781 AD)
Wincenty (Born 781 AD)
Swietoslawa (Born 786 AD)
Imram (Born 786 AD)
Swietoslaw (Born 786 AD)

It is not known where this now near mythical figure actually hailed from, only that, on the 1st of January, 769 AD, he arrived outside the hall of Dobieslaw Choscisko, High Chief of Greater Poland, and challenged him to a duel. Andrzej I won, and seized the mans former lands as his own, along with the mans daughter as a concubine. He took a foreign wife, Rachlit Babenberger and made a show of converting to his wife's Catholic faith.

This was all part of his frankly astonishing strategy. He waged holy war against the lands that surrounded his own. For seven years, he led campaigns in person, often traveling from conquest to conquest without rest. From Lubusz in the West, up north to Marienburg, then east to Lublin and Lomza. It is his conquests that are still considered the 'Heartland' today. When he was to be crowned King of Poland, he announced that he was returning to his true faith, that of Perun and joined the ranks of His Champions.

Predictably from the West, they did not take this betrayal well, nor did his wife. But Andrzej isn't known to have cared. Instead, he spoke with Priests and Priestesses across his lands to enforce the hold of our faith. It is hard to estimate how many people that went 'under the axe' during Andrzej's Expulsion, but after it was over, the nation and faith were on their way to the more codified version we all follow today. He is remembered as the Sword of Perun for his efforts.

He had a total of sixteen children, but is known to have only ever been fond of his eldest daughter, Dobronega. When she died in a brawl in 795AD, he reportedly fell into a depression, and he spent his last few years drinking and fighting himself into an early grave.

Elsewhere, Charlemagne's great work to unite Europe was fulfilled. Not by his own desendants, but by Adelfonso d'Asturias, King of Asturias. Emperor Adelfonso faced decades of rebellions.

King Andrzej I Poniatowski died in a brawl with Jagoda Senulatovic in 799AD, he was 52.

Due to not leaving behind a will, his sons divided up his lands, and elected the eldest remaining son, Tomasz. as the next King of Poland. This method of electing their King would be the norm for centuries to come. Eventually, the title of Velky Volhv, head of the Faith, would be folded into the title of King/Emperor, so that the Head of State was also Head of the Faith. They would also grant lands only to their own family, so as to hold onto power. This method was centuries ahead of Poland's western neighbours.

Last edited:
Sounds like a very suitable founder figure :)

Tomasz I Poniatowski: The Butcher of Rome
Tomasz I Poniatowski
'The Butcher of Rome'
AmaMxVZ.png

799AD - 823AD

Previous Title:
High Chief of Kuyavia (Elector)

Spouses and Concubines:

Helene Theodericing, Queen
Zdenka z Kessini, Concubine
Radoslava z Kessini, Concubine
Rycheza z Kessini, Concubine
Rikissa af Munso, Concubine

Issue:
Lucja (Born 801AD)
Helena (Born 804AD)
Aleksander (Born 804AD)
Eufrozyna (Born 804AD)
Elzbieta (Born 805AD)
Pawel (Born 807AD, Died 809AD, Cradle Fever)
Wladyslaw (Born 807AD)
Eufemia (Born 811AD)
Anastazja (Born 811AD)
Stanislaw( Born 811AD)
Eustachy (Born 811AD)
Ragnarr (Born 813AD)
Magdalena (Born 818AD)

Tomasz I's rise to the throne came through chance. After his father died without declaring an heir, his children came together and elected his successor, thus starting a tradition that has, more or less, survived to this day.
His election was not unanimous however. His half-brother, Piotr, had gained the second highest amount of votes, and proved to be a headache for the second Polish King until he was 'put under the axe' for heresy in 819AD.

Tomasz I was orginally the High Chief of Kuyavia, and already a noted member of the Champions of Perun when he came to the throne, although unlike his father, he never actually lead the Order. He was a religious man, and one of his other nicknames is actually 'The Sword of Perun'.

Like his father, Tomasz was a devoted warrior, and had conquests of his own. He conquered Bohemia and its surrounding lands, although it would cost him an eye. His conquests pushed further, into Meissen and Nordgau. In the north, his conquests included Pomerania and Pomeralia, and further still, to the holy isle of Rügen.

When it was discovered that he had developed cancer, Tomasz rallied his army, and marched south-west to Rome. His three thousand strong army marched almost unopposed to the seat of the Papacy, and sacked the city, even capturing The Pope, Innocentius III. It would become known to history as 'The Great Raid'

Tomasz would die on the 24th of December, 823AD, a few weeks after returning home. At his funeral, Pope Innocentius III was offered up as a sacrifice to Perun. It was said that the moon crossed infront of the sun at the moment the axe fell, as a show of Perun's favor.
Today of course, we know this to be a natural phenomenon, but the timing of the 823AD Eclipse could not have come at a more well timed moment.

Outside his borders, Reginbern Liudolfinger became the first Grand Duke of Saxony, and Roland Paliné became the first Archduke of Austria within the borders of the Holy Roman Empire.

He was succeeded by the High Chief of Prussia, Andrzej II, who would turn out to be one of the most important figures in our early history.

Last edited:
So here we are, the next King.

Also! I'm getting to the point that the Wendish Empire could be formed, but I must admit, I'm not sold on the name. If anyone has ideas for names, post'em below! I'd be interested in what your thoughts are.

Also I'll soon be able to reform the faith:

JAGya45.png

Currently this is the combination I'm thinking of going with, although I am toying with swapping out Children of Perun for Ancestor Veneration. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated too.

Last edited:
Tomasz chose a pretty awesome way to go out.

Oh hell yeah, marching on Rome, sacking it and kidnapping the Pope. Then dying and having the Pope sacrificed in your honour. Damn good story for him.

Andrzej II's entry should be in a day or so, he had a short reign.

And that is how one leaves one's mark on the world.

So here we are, the next King.

Also! I'm getting to the point that the Wendish Empire could be formed, but I must admit, I'm not sold on the name. If anyone has ideas for names, post'em below! I'd be interested in what your thoughts are.

What about Zapadoslavia (West Slavia)?

What about Zapadoslavia (West Slavia)?

That works!...and would give a reason for the formation of the Slavic Union later on, East and West together and all that.

Andrzej II Poniatowski: The Forger of Traditions
Andrzej II Poniatowski
'The Forger of Traditions'
NOjuMFH.png

823AD - 828AD

Previous Title:
High Chief of Prussia

Spouses and Concubines:
Nadzieja Poniatowski, Queen
Helena Poniatowski, Concubine
Eufemia Poniatowski, Concubine
Zwinislawa, Concubine

Issue:
Wieslaw, Born 818AD
Nawoja, Born 825AD
Pawel, Born 827AD
Eustachy, Born 828AD Died 835AD
Anastazja, Born 829AD

Despite only ruling Poland for a short five years, the third Poniatowski King was known for being plump and pleasant in temperment. He made no territorial expansion during his reign, preferring to focus on increasing the hold his family already had on their lands. In fact, a number of the traditions used by Poland, Zapadoslavia and the later Slavic Union, some even still practiced today. Traditions regarding Hospitality, Ancestor Veneration and Inheritence, to note a few.

Like his two predecessors, he was a member of the Champions of Perun, leading a few raids into enemy territory. However, he didn't rise higher than a regular warrior within their ranks.

He did face criticism when he took a cousin as his wife, but only due to Nadzieja Poniatowski's poor reputation. His taking of two of his other cousins as concubines did not rouse such criticism.

Andrzej II Poniatowski died in a ritual brawl with a man called Dominik on the 13th of December, 828AD. However, he died killing his own killer.

He was succeeded by a cousin, Wladyslaw 'The Sorceror King'. Andrzej II would go down in history as the last King to be a true follower of the Old Slavic faith, before its reformation, due to Wladyslaw I being a worshiper of Chernobog exclusively.

Outside Poland, the Shahdom of Samanid grew strong near the border of the Indian Kingdoms and the Abbasid Empire, the precursor state to the Samanid Persian Empire.

The Age of Kings was coming to an end, and the Zapadoslavian Era would soon begin.

A queen and two concubines from among close kin? Let's hope the Poniatowskis don't go the way of the Habsburgs! :eek:

Andrzej II may lack the dramatic flair of some more dynamic kings (other than the circumstances of his death, of course -- glorious ritual combat is perhaps a better way to go than some others), but sometimes a little rest and retrenchment is good for a nation.

Wladyslaw I Poniatowski: The 'Sorcerer King'
Wladyslaw I Poniatowski
'The Sorcerer King'
24UGK7F.png

828AD - 841AD

Previous Title:
High Chief of Kuyavia

Spouses and Concubines:
Kenna, Queen
Darya Yevstafiyovna Dregovich, Concubine
Mila Luks, Concubine
Adleta, Concubine
Anastazja Poniatowski, Sister-Concubine

Issue:
Mateusz, Born 827AD
Wladyslaw, Born 829AD
Matylda, Born 830AD
Piotr, Born 831AD
Dobronega, Born 832AD
Lambert, Born 833AD, Died 851AD, Food Poisoning?
Budziwuj, Born 833AD
Gertruda, Born 835AD
Kazimiera, Born 835AD
Czarnoboga, Born 841AD

It is hard to write accurately about the last ruler of Poland before it became part of Zapadolslavia due to the folklore surrounding him. The third son of King Tomasz I, Wladyslaw I Poniatowski was a known worshipper of Chernobog, and if the stories about him were true in any way, the leader of a Cult that worshipped him. He acreditted his conquests of Ruthenia and Lithuania. It is unknown as to why he worshipped his Patron God, nor who introduced him to it.

His cult spread swiftly, becoming codified and organised, so much so that his successor would use it for his reformation of the Slavic Faith, and his becoming the first Velky Volhv. However, his denial of worshipping the other Gods, including, most shockingly, Blessed Perun.

He took his sister, Anastazja, also a Cultist of Chernobog as a concubine. When she gave birth to a son, Wladyslaw is said to have had a vision, and so, the following night, cut open his own wrists and bled to death, covering his newborn son in blood in mockery of the Christian baptism. A number of his children would go on to be Velky Volhv in their own rights.

The Sorcerer King went on to be part of bedtime stories, and filled the nightmares of children for centuries to come.

Hoo boy, Wladyslaw is going to give historians (and hack authors and film producers) a field day with all that ample fodder for speculation and sensationalism.

It's hard to write about someone, where most of the stuff he did was in secret, so no records would realistically exist. So all I have are two, frankly uninterestingly easy conquests, and a whole bunch of interesting secret stuff.