• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's an interesting setup for Iberia, the Karling brothers should be able to give the Umayyads a good kicking.
I don't envy Loup's position but a strong position in Italy would be a great asset

Reactions:
March-April 805.

Emperor Pepin’s contingent was joined by the vassal levies numbering some 20’000 strong when it marched over the mountains into Iberia once more. For his own objectives, the Emperor hoped to divide the Moorish forces by seizing and occupy the territories around Navarra, which he believed would also take the pressure off what remained of the Kingdom of Asturias in the north, as well as leave his half-brother a clear hand in the south.

Plans, so simple on paper, rarely work out precisely as intentioned.

“Camp fever sire, the physicians are sure of it.”

The tired Pepin rubbed his temples sleepily, “How many affected?”

“We’re not sure yet, but it’s sweeping the camp. Many of the men are in no condition to fight in their present state.”

“We’ll take losses,” Pepin replied, it was not a question.

The Duke of Tolouse did not attempt to argue. “Yes, we will.”

“Well I suppose we’ll have to send word to the Greeks that our forces will be delayed.”

Word had come to the army that the forces of Nikolaos had, after driving the Moors initial invasion force from Mallorca, landed on the Iberian coast and were marching upon Castellon. Pepin had intended to send a large contingent of his own forces far enough south to support them, but the delay caused by the outbreak meant this plan would have to be shelved.

Word came from the south that the infidel was marching to relieve Castellon, now besieged by the Greek forces. Rather than move south once new water wells were dug and the condition of the army improved, Pepin dictated a letter to his scribes to be sent to Nicolaos.

I intend, my brother, to take the Enemy in the rear and reduce his strongholds around Navarra, which will prevent a consolidation of the infidel’s forces on your current positions and force him to divide his forces to meet with those of us who worship Jesus Christ and serve Him in his glory.

It is my hope that your siege at Castellon shall continue unimpeded by these measures, and that your successful defence of Justinian’s additions in Hispania is brought about by our assistance.

I shall pray for your success.

Yours,

Pepin Karoling, Imperator Romanorum, Augustus of the West.

He had begun his march into Navarra when a courier dispatched a missive from his half-brother in response.

Mine own brother in blood.

I have neither asked for your assistance nor required it. Besiege whatever fortresses in Navarra you wish, if it pleases you to feast as a vulture picking at a carcass by playing at a war instead of winning one.

As for Imperator Romanorum, our father had it so. But he lives no longer.

Tread with care, blood of my blood.

“Well that answers my question about whether my brother would welcome a renewal of the alliance that existed between our parents.”

Pepin crumpled the missive up in his fist, but did not speak further, merely gesticulating at his retainers to have the messenger fed and paid for his trouble before sending him back to his camp. The Greek fellow only spoke a little Francian, but he praised Pepin in a broken accent for his trouble, apparently expecting that Pepin would’ve been angered by this news, and taken such anger out on him.

“From what I hear of your brother, he has no qualms about torture or brutalisation of those beneath him,” Duke Thomas reported.

“Disgraceful,” Pepin murmured, while the Chaplain crossed himself.

“Well I suppose we pursue our own campaign then… independent of mine brother in the East.”

Pursue it they did, marching on Pamplona, and laying siege in early April.

The strength of the Empire’s forces meant the meagre garrison held only for weeks before it surrendered. The majority of the Moorish forces were deployed to combat the Romanoi in the south, leaving Navarra open to the Franks…

The first stage of the conflict was one of ease for Pepin. But he knew well enough to know that Iberia was unpredictable.

• 1Love
Reactions:
An omen of things to come if already Pepin's half-brother is becoming hostile to the Frankish realm, but we're getting ahead of ourselves, hopefully it won't be occurring in Pepin's lifetime. May the Emperor have decent luck for the campaign, let the Moors focus on the Romans.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If war comes from the Eastern provinces of the Roman Empire, hopefully it will be against Pepin rather than against an untested son. Iberia is where Murphy goes for a reality check when feeling optimistic. Much goes wrong and little right for Pepin on the peninsula. Thank you for updating.

Well this bad blood with the East is concerning but I feel that the two empires have disparate enough interests to not come into direct conflict but I may yet be proven wrong

• 1Like
Reactions:
A string of fortresses lined the main routes into Navarre, all well-fortified and difficult to besiege, but with the bulk of the Moslem armies elsewhere engaged, Pepin knew he had no better opportunity for reducing them.

And luck was with them, for both the presence of the Eastern Emperor and a series of torrential downpours in the northern passes blocked any serious prospect of reinforcements to the Moslem forces over the coming weeks, and Pepin steadily tore through the region, giving over the fortresses to plunder and the villages to the sword, allowing his men the glory of plunder and prestige alike.

The savagery of the southern conflict notwithstanding, but Pepin had no interest in subjecting his men to a harsher campaign on behalf of his half-brother whom had so snubbed him. Let him win or lose on his own, since he was apparently quite happy to reject Pepin’s help!

And so, quite abruptly, the Emperor merely took the lands and forts he had seized under imperial control, and departed Hispania with his forces again, leaving the war with the Greeks and Moors to rage further south. He did, however, receive a votive of thanks from the court of Astuarias, who were pleased to see the Umayyad enemy weakened further still…

Paris, Francia

“What ails you brother?” Maurice prodded and poked at Renaud, concerned at the length of his brother’s grimace.

“I am well.” Was all he received in reply.

“God’s oath you are,” Maurice spat, grinning, “You look like your favourite horse just left you a steaming green present atop your favourite piece of silverware.”

“Perhaps he did,” Renaud replied, now smiling too, in spite of himself,

“You know as well as I father would never let that beast of yours near anything shiny,” Maurice replied, punching Renaud’s arm playfully. “So come on, What’s struck you?”

How to say it? How did one confess such… unnatural things, even to one’s own brother? Even to the one with whom he shared everything else, he could not share this deepest part of himself. He was his father’s heir, the Emperor to be… and Emperors were made as the vicars of God himself, could not be sinful, so the priests always said.

“You got a girl?” Maurice asked suddenly, and grinned when his brother’s head jerked up in surprise. “You do!” he pointed triumphantly.

“I-“ Renaud swallowed, stopped. “Yes,” he lied, face flushed shamefully, “That’s what’s on my mind brother.”

Apparently taking his brother’s flushed face as evidence of his feeling for his non-existent woman, Maurice’s grin widened. “You sly one!” he punched him again in the arm with a triumphant playfulness, “Father will be marrying us off soon! Decided to get in early? Who is she?”

To stem the flow of questions Renaud raised both his hands in the air,

“Alright, alright one thing at a time!” he urged, and Maurice subsided, still grinning wildly.

“I can’t say yet for sure, though… I doubt father would approve,” Renaud replied again, bowing his head with shame, since that at least, was partly true.

“Well he can’t very well talk can he?” Maurice asked, “Since he defied the will of our grandfather to marry mother?”

Renaud’s head snapped up to stare at him. “Where did you hear that?”

Maurice shrugged, “All the time, servants talk and gossip. It’s been known for years apparently.”

“You’ll do well not to partake in such rot!” Renaud exclaimed, “You get into trouble listening to old fishwives gossip like that!”

“Oh don’t be such a woman,” Maurice muttered, “Servants are useful,” he continued, “They know things, because everyone talks in front of them, hadn’t you noticed? And nobody ever notices they exist, so they just stand there and soak it all up.” He nodded, as if praising his own cleverness at having discovered that servants were in fact people, “It always pays to be friends with a couple of servants.”

“The trouble is, when you’re an Emperor, everyone is your servant.” Renaud muttered.

“Looking forward to it eh?” Maurice asked, but with no malice in his tone. “I don’t blame you. I’d look forward to bossing me around too.” He paused, “Even though I am better-looking.”

“We’ll see about that,” Renaud jibed, playfully, glad now the subject was well and truly off his mysterious (and non-existent) female companion.

As the months rolled by and Pepin returned to Paris, the Emperor threw himself into new diplomatic activities, intending to make use of his children’s maturation to strengthen the Empire.

An interesting proposal had arrived from the east, Vladislav, the King of Serbia, whose lands bordered those of the Romanoi, sought to forge new alliances to protect his kingdom from Constantinopolis’s encroachments. With his father having converted his realm to the tenets of the Church and the Roman Papacy, Vladislav was concerned that the Patriarch in Constantinople had designs to bring his realm back under the thumb of the eastern Emperor. Hence the proposal, were Vladislav offered the hand of his sister, the Princess Radica, in marriage to Renaud, the Crown Prince of the Empire.

Emperor Pepin eagerly snapped up the match in early 808CE, fully aware that this act, while not an open breach of relations, meant further tension in the relations between Byzantium and the west that had only grown more strained since his father and step-mother’s deaths. He made plans to announce the engagement at a grand feast in Paris, and plans to raise his son up to a throne in preparation for him to rule in future years…

And then, word of another storm broke out. A storm from the north, sailing on the southern winds to raid and plunder, as before…

OOC: Sorry this one took a while, but there wasn't much to right about in Iberia and I've had busy RL times lately. But I squeezed it out eventually:) We've got Pepin making diplomatic moves, a marriage proposal in the east, and another Norse fiend on the horizons, and Renaud is keeping his secret well for now, even from Maurice...

• 1Love
Reactions:
Oh dear, poor Renaud! I hope he finds someone to confide in and that the new wife isn't too hard on him!
Looking forward to hearing more about this storm in the north!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi everyone! Next update will be coming in a day or two! Work's snowed me under with stuff to do and I confess the motivation wasn't there for a while but I've been working steadily through the next couple of posts and will have another update as soon as the next's one's up and ready to go, which it nearly is:) Don't worry, I haven't forgotten and disappeared on anyone:)

• 2Like
Reactions:
807 CE

Hakon the Dane, terror of the North, landed at the northern mouth of the Rhine with a large raiding force and a small flotilla of longships, intending to test himself against the lords of Francia. Armed with an axe that could split a man’s skull and a conviction that Odin the All-Father would see him through to victory and glory, the Dane made his first successes with raids along the coast, savaging the tenants along the villages their and driving them into the hills to flee.

But savaging lightly armed fishing villages would not win him the glory he craved.

Hakon wanted glory, he wanted battle. He wanted a frontal confrontation with the armies of the King of Francia, or ‘imperator’, as he had discovered some of his peoples called him. When he raided the next village, he interrogated some terrified serfs, whose terrified ramblings made clear that his capital was somewhere to the south-west.

So he drove them south-west, bearing a challenge for the Francian King to come forth and meet his force in battle.

Paris, Francia.

The small cluster of shivering, hungry terrified people that clustered at the foot of the throne were quite the sight for the Emperor, newly roused from sleep. He had been roused for the audience, his servants hurriedly dressing him before he arrived in the throne room.

“What be the meaning of this?” Pepin asked brusquely, barely even raising his head when his wife entered the throne room, looking askance at him.

“Apologies sire, but these men have come from the north-west with news. I fear what they have to say is of too much significance to wait.”

The Emperor shifted in his throne. “Speak then,” he gestured impatiently for one of the shivering, terrified fellows to step forward.

Haltingly, slowly, the terrified man gave his testimony. A terrifying bearded man, a sailor coming out of the north, burning and looting.

“He challenged you sire, he wanted you to come forth and meet him in battle. He told us to tell you sire, he told us he’d let us go if we did.”

The fellow shivered again, as though the mere memory of it sent a cold chill through him.

A pause for a few moments, while the Emperor considered this.

“I apologise for your losses, and I shall see that you are compensated for it appropriately,” was all Pepin said to his petititioners and ordered them ushered out of the throne room.

“Summon Renaud and Maurice and bring them to me, and have their horses saddled at once,” he told Elodie, whose face was pale and whitened from being suddenly roused from bed.

His wife did as she was bade, briskly and without complaint. Raising six sons had given her a keen sense of when her husband needed her to act swiftly in response to some calamity or another. She may not have had a mind for the political or military machinations he undertook, but she had loyalty and knew her husband’s moods as well as anyone. That was enough.

It was thus barely hours later when the Emperor and the two young Princes rode out of Paris with barely a vanguard of household knights and men-at-arms hastily roused from their beds. Marching north-east, they intended to rally some local levies and troops from their own vassals in the region to confront the Norsemen’s challenge and crush them once and for all….

OOC: These raids are getting out of hand, but Hakon is formidable, so we'll see how Pepin does when he's riding out without a full complement of soldiers. Will it be enough to crush them or will the Norsemen surprise the Emperor in some way?

And later on will the Empire decide a more... forceful response is necessary to these incessant raids? Plenty more to come on this point, this post is mostly setting up the next couple of conflicts, so don't go away:)

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Yeah, raids can be overwhelming at times. Here's hoping you can knock them out for awhile.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well this promises a long struggle!
I'm surprised that Pepin would take the princes with him, they feel quite young but Pepin helped take Constantinople at a similar age so that might just be how the Karlings do things

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well this promises a long struggle!
I'm surprised that Pepin would take the princes with him, they feel quite young but Pepin helped take Constantinople at a similar age so that might just be how the Karlings do things
They certainly do! Being a warrior Emperor is kind of expected at this point, so Pepin's doing things the way Karloman did with him, and trying to blood them early.

Whether that actually works well, or what happens if his heirs don't take to being frontline commanders is another question entirely.

Reactions:
For Maurice and Renaud, princes of the Empire, the excitement at the prospect of their first battle was tempered by the terror of soon coming face to face with the terrifying Norsemen. As the small force their father had assembled had led through the gates of Paris had swelled to several thousand men strong along the march, joined by levies and local garrison troops whom the Emperor had called from nearby estates they heard more tales of the raiders. Terrified villagers being driven before them. Human sacrifices to their dark Pagan gods, like those who used to be worshipped in old Saxony prior to the conquests of Karloman converting them to the one true faith.

All this the princes believed they would face when confronting the Norsemen raiders.

But Emperor Pepin betrayed none of his son’s anxieties on his face. By April he had several thousand men in arms streaming northwards towards where scouts reported the Northmen’s recent movements.

It was there, around thirty miles west of the Rhine that they found the Norsemen forces drawn up in a defensive position in a narrow defile where the Empire’s greater numbers would be of less effectiveness.

“Clever,” Pepin muttered, having ridden alongside his sons to the top of a nearby ridge to get a good look. “He’s obviously had scouts out to warn of our coming and set up a place where we cannot strike him except on a narrow front.”

“Can we go around?” Maurice asked, “It seems the obvious way.”

Pepin shook his head. “We have not the men to completely surround the pass, and there’s not enough terrain cover around here for us to hide our movements. The moment we attempt an encirclement, they’ll be onto us.”

“We can wait them out,” Maurice pointed out.

Pepin grimaced at him, unsure whether he liked his second son speaking back to him. “Unless we want to spread tales that the Empire is weak and cannot even bring to battle a group of savage northmen raiders in a timely manner, that would not be wise.”

“But it would be safer Father. They have no food re-supply, they are far from home. Why no-?”

“I’ll hear no more of it.” Pepin cut him off. “We’ll speak of our battle plans on the morrow.”

“He treats my every suggestion as a criticism.” Maurice complained to his brother later that same night before they headed to their respective tents.

“Have no worry about it brother,” Renaud attempted awkwardly to reassure him, “Father’s nervous. Nothing more.”

“Nervous? Him?” Maurice shook his head glumly. “He doesn’t like me is all. Never has. The second son, not the one destined to rule.” He smiled at Renaud. “It’ll be you he listens to on the morrow, mark me well.”

Now it was Renaud’s turn to shift awkwardly. Sensing his discomfort, Maurice hastily grinned at him. “I don’t say I blame you brother. I do not, for all that I wish father wouldn’t be so dismissive of me, you’ve done naught to earn my ire. It’s not you I direct it at.”

“Oh! Good!” Renaud look relieved, and slapped Maurice on the back before they departed for their respective tents.

On the morn Pepin did listen to Renaud, who counselled they draw up their larger force at the entrance of the narrow defile and begin with a barrage of arrow fire at the Norsemen to soften their positions and weaken their defenses.

“A good wall of spears will drive right through them father, but a volley of arrows works just as well to open the gaps.”

And it was so that Pepin took Renaud’s advice, delegating Maurice to charge of the pikes on the left, himself on the right, while leaving the centre, and thus command of the main thrust towards the northmen line, to Renaud.

“He means for you to have the glory of victory,” Maurice whispered urgently as the war council broke and they left to rally the forces for battle. “Make sure you don’t disappoint him.”

That the truth of this was not apparent to Renaud until his brother told him was perhaps indicative of whether this was the wisest of choices. But a future Emperor needed a military reputation, so there they were.

But the Norsemen held the line on the first charge. Pepin and Renaud threw their forces at the head of the enemy, and the Pagan shieldwall did not crumble. Axes and swords clashed hard against pikes and spears, and the levies fell with far more frequency than the veteran Norse. Renaud fought with courage upon the front, but could not force them to buckle.

A pile of corpses lined the wall of shields, the crows would feast well, but Renaud’s mind was far away. The horror and chaos of blood and battle had overtaken him. The terror of those tall bearded warriors, screaming curses in their queer tongues, shouting blasphemous curses at the noble men of Christendom had nearly sent him fleeing.

“Several dozen losses, a few dozen on their side too, but not a big enough dent made in their lines for the losses we sustained.”

“I’ll be the judge of that,” Pepin replied sharply, glaring slightly at Maurice for having spoken out of turn. “We’ll try it again tomorrow.”

“You mustn’t anger father, Maurice,” Renaud told him putting a hand on his brother’s shoulder.

“What?” Maurice’s head snapped back. He had been gazing towards the narrow defile where the enemy was still perched, mind clearly far away. “Apologies brother, I was thinking about tomorrow. I have a plan.”

“A plan?”

“Yes. I’ll need you to let me take the centre tomorrow.”

“I-What?”

“Trust me,” Maurice whispered urgently, keeping his voice low. “Whatever father may think, this IS a better way to end it with fewer losses. I’ll need you to take a contingent of half the horsemen and all the bowman and follow the paths I sketch out for you.”

“But father will know…”

“Not if I wear your armour when I take position tomorrow,” Maurice grinned, “Under the helmet he won’t see me, and if he notices during the battle he’ll be too late to stop us. Trust me. It’ll work out fine.”

Renaud sighed, gazed at his brother. Was he about to land them in more trouble then he ever had before?

“Alright. Tell me your plan.”

The following day dawned to a light downpour. The grin ran thick with mud and the nearby streams ran off from the tops of the defile into the pass below. The invaders would have plenty to drink, and time to refresh for the day’s battle. After meeting Pepin, the young princes split off to their respective commands… but they did not obey their father’s dispositions that morn.

It was Maurice, not Renaud who took command of the centre. Maurice, not Renaud who ordered them forward.

The initial engagements began much as the previous days had, with the Frankish line smashing into the shield wall and the Norse yelling their war cries in that queer northern tongue of theirs. It did not phase Maurice, who drove his men harder.

But the Norse discovered a new obstacle, unexpected to their plans. The right of the army did not surge forward to press in upon their flank as before. Instead a rain of arrows joined the rain of drops that fell from the sky and hurtled down upon the shieldwall from one of the heights of the defile. In the earlier hours of the morn Renaud had shown the men a path up which they could gradually climb at a less steep incline to reach the top of the pass, right above where the Norsemen shield wall was positioned… Once the morning had arrived, the bowmen got themselves into position and opened fire.

Thus when the confusion reigned in the Norse line, they attempted to smash forward through the Frankish attack. The anvil held, and the battered Frankish line remained firm as Maurice forced the men to close ranks and press into a wall of iron and steel.

Then the hammer smashed the Norsemen in the rear. Half the Frankish horse, deployed on secret orders from the Prince the night before, completed it’s circuit and slammed into the raiders rear, completing the encirclement. Though small in number, the half of the men who had been deployed had taken two horses each, in order to double-time their ride to the other end of the defile. The Norsemen had assumed any large force would take days to do so, and had neglected their line of retreat accordingly. Between the hammer of the horse and the anvil of the line, the Norsemen crumbled.

Haakon the raider was captured alive, having thrown down his axe and thrown a Frankish helm over his head to attempt to escape in the confusion. Very few of his fellows were shown such mercy…

The Princes gambit had paid off, and the victory was theirs…

OOC:

A win, though not in the way Pepin had intended. The Princes's together find a way to increase their own glory and reduce their losses. But how will the aftermath of that work out for them? Thanks for waiting for this update. Am aiming for another one by Wednesday of next week:)

• 2Love
Reactions:
Luckily for Maurice, his father is now in charge and not his grandfather. Backtalk and deceit would have him hanging from a Saxon tree, if he had been serving his grandfather. An early death for one of the young princes seems very possible. Renaud needs to stiffen his backbone, if he succeeds his father. Thank you for the update and I will await your next offering.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh dear, I was worried we'd get a Patroclus situation with Maurice dressed as Renaud but I'm happy to see that the princes have succeeded in their first engagement!
A little concerned by Pepin's dismissal of Maurice but I suppose the example of Karloman is still strong in his mind.
Looking forward to the aftermath!

• 2Like
Reactions:
A victory, but we'll see how Pepin responds.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Emperor threw a great feast. Toasted his sons their triumph, drank to their health and their victories, and paraded the captive Norsemen before the soldiers in chains, who jeered at them and toasted their own success.

But once the war feast was done and the officers were gone from the command tent, Pepin rounded on his sons.

“You disobeyed me,” he told them, tone and face colder than it had ever been. “I gave you explicit instructions, and you both took it upon yourselves to countermand them.”

“Fathe-“

“Be silent!” his voice cracked like a whip over Renaud’s objection. The words died on his lips. Unvoiced.

Pepin took a deep breath. “Be thankful to God you were successful in your efforts, or we would not be standing here having this conversation. Either one or both of you would be dead, and if by some miracle you had survived, I’d have thrown you in chains and sent you back to Paris with our other prisoners. Do ensure that you don’t make a habit of this boys, or that will be where future disobedience will land you.”

An almost inaudible sigh of relief passed across both boys. He would not punish them, only on account of their success. But no punishment was no punishment.

“That said, given your tendencies to run ahead of orders from your Emperor, I shall grant you what you both seem to wish.” Pepin continued crisply. “I intend to mount a punitive campaign into the Daneland, north of Saxony. Not a campaign of conquest, but merely an expedition to punish the Pagans and beat them into tributary status to remind them that God’s realm is not to be trifled with… or mine. I’ll be giving both of you command, and free rein of that expedition. Carry out my directives by whatever means you deem necessary, and more rewards will flow your way.”

Far from punishing them, the Emperor wanted to test their newfound independence, see how well they thought and operated on their own. Maurice found it exhilarating, the prospect of being off his father’s leash was an appealing one.

“Be wary brother, for if we fail father, he’ll doubtless find some way to torment us with the fact.” Renaud was frowning, as was usual.

Maurice clapped him on the back. “You worry too much,” he told him. “Between you and I, we’ll have more than enough strength to beat the Pagans into submission and return in triumph.” He grinned cheekily. “Now what say we find ourselves a pair of comely camp followers?”

Renaud sighed sadly, though Maurice, as usual, did not twig the reason for his reluctance. “You go on brother, I shall prepare my men to march out.”

“Suit yourself,” he dropped his hand then, but smiled still, “Be of good cheer brother, it’ll all work out in the end!”

March, 808CE

It did indeed, as both Princes would return in triumph shortly within the new year. Emperor Pepin lavished praise and feasting upon both his eldest born sons, and no more a word was spoken about their disobedience in the manner of Hakon the Norseman.

The few years that followed were, ironically, peaceful ones for the Empire. Even the Norse raiders seemed disinclined to savage the coastlines in such numbers as they had done in previous years. For Pepin and the imperial family, this was the time for formalising the marital arrangements and alliances he had begun to formulate for his sons. For Renaud, titles followed his battlefield successes, for he was named King of Aquitaine, and his marriage to Princess Radica of Serbia was formalised as a way of binding the newly Christian kingdom to the Bishop of Rome. Aware of declining relations with his half-brother in the east, Emperor Pepin did not want to risk the chance that Serbia would fall under the dominion of Constantinople.

For Maurice, Pepin was still concerned that his son had not settled his appetites, given his tendencies towards the camp followers and the occasional serving girl he rolled in the hay with. Still, he thought it was, given recent events, to separate Maurice from Renaud in future. As a result, weeks later, Maurice was confirmed as King of East Francia, ruling over the old Pagan lands of Germania and Saxony.

Young Loup still ruled Italia, and Pepin was content now that his father’s ruinous destruction of the rebel lords in the south had left Italia securely under the control of the Empire. Hispania was also quiet for a change, the Umayyads licking their wounds, battered by their recent wars and continuous court intrigues around the Sultan. Between the Emperor and his six sons, the line of Karloman was secure and the Empire prosperous.

It was in 811 CE that Pepin bestirred himself once again for a campaign his father had planned, but had not lived long enough to achieve. The conquest of Moravia. The Slavic peoples there were a small, quarrelsome bunch, but their lands were as a dagger, thrust deeply towards the Empire’s vulnerable heart, as barbarian raiders menaced caravans and travellers along the roads north of the Danube. He had little doubt the Moravians would summon assistance from the other Pagan peoples of the east, but the Emperor mustered his armies for war nonetheless.

The messengers flew down the roads in all directions, also summoning the Emperor’s sons to war from their varying realms. The levies would muster in Bohemia, and from their the road was east…

August, 811CE.

In truth, the Emperor’s early battles were not difficult ones. Pepin ‘The Bold’ as men now called him had learned well at his father’s heel, and the early sieges took the enemy villages swiftly before the heathens had time to muster forces of sufficient strength to stop them.

But in the dark woods of Moravia, the Pagans were gathering their supporters, an army was coming into being, one that would present a challenge to the unified forces of Christendom...

OOC: Thanks for waiting! We're getting into the campaign in Moravia now, and Pepin's children are coming into their own kingdoms. Next post in addition to some of the more gnarly battles for Pepin we'll cover all six of his sons in addition to more details about what they're ruling (I gave details of the ones who had kingdoms at this point now, but there's more to come).

Also, would like to just let everyone know that I've begun working on a second AAR project for CK2 as well, though I shan't reveal yet exactly what! It's one a bit out of the usual fare I think compared to most AARs on this one, but it's from the AGOT mod, and I think it'll be something enjoyable and different for people. I'll have an introductory post up on that one in a day or two, so keep an eye out for that (I like working on two projects at a time, as being bored with one means I can turn to the other one). I've been noticing a slowing pace on this AAR as well, so having something else to turn to in order to keep me writing helps keep the inspiration flowing and means I keep in the spirit more easily, so everything should be flowing more smoothly.

Don't worry, we're not stopping this one. Pepin and sons have a lot more to come:)

• 1Love
Reactions:
That went remarkably well for the boys.

• 2Like
Reactions: