• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Sure, I'll be leader, I guess.))

((Alright, thanks. I'm going to play now, and I will hopefully update tonight!))

URGENT NEWS BULLETIN

With Ethiopia dominating Egypt, other countries have gotten in on the action. One such country is Algeria, who requests German assistance in liberating their province of Agadir ((it's a single province)). The Foreign Minister has not yet commented.

Samuel Horscht, GRNN

The aging foreign minister appears visually stressed as yet another heckling request for Germany to go to war over some petty dispute between far off nations arrives at his desk.
While the Algerians may consider Agadir their rightful territory - and perhaps it is - no German men will be dying for the acquisition of some irrelevant African land.

Last edited:
Anarcho-Liberals merging with Fascists? What has this world come to?

The Chancellor

((Seriously DG, do you even understand the basic ideological princples of political parties))

Anarcho-Liberals merging with Fascists? What has this world come to?

The Chancellor

((Seriously DG, do you even understand the basic ideological princples of political parties))

Wilhelm von H. has hereby been expelled from the DDA which will now not be merging with the DV.

As such, he is hereby stripped of his seat and ordered to hand it back or face a trial.

((Apart from a chance to exercise your inner schizophrenic, there will be no merging of the DDA and DV. :) ))

Liberals are filled chaotic, unintelligible fools.

As usual, I am correct, my vision blessed by God and Place.

What the fuck just happened?

- Rafanelli

Friends, it was a great pleasure being an Imperialist for the brief time that I was, and it was also my first party. But now I must depart to join my fellow Fascist brethren to further encourage the betterment of the German people. I hope that Fascists and Imperialists may work together in the future, or in the very least, speak with each other as friends.

-Roman von Weis

Friends, it was a great pleasure being an Imperialist for the brief time that I was, and it was also my first party. But now I must depart to join my fellow Fascist brethren to further encourage the betterment of the German people. I hope that Fascists and Imperialists may work together in the future, or in the very least, speak with each other as friends.

-Roman von Weis

I bet you're nothing but a low born heathen, you low born heathen.

((Right, that's enough time for the foreign plan to have passed, so let's press on!))

1906-1908: Reform or revolution?

As Franz von Bavel-Timmermans' first term as Chancellor came to an end, he no longer knew what kind of Germany he was living in. He and his cabinet had tried desperately to be inclusive, to make all Germans feel welcome, but instead, riots and angry speeches were the order of the day. He and the DSU took blame from all sides. Conservatives and Imperialists attacked him for eroding the moral fiber of the German nation. Liberals sneered at the DSU's interference in the economy. The KPD demanded more representation for the working class and more reform, as well as autonomy for Italy. The Bundespartei stayed quiet, for the most part, but party leader Franz Meningen quietly chortled to himself during many of the sessions of the Reichstag. "Not so easy, is it, Franz?"

One of the parties that gave the Chancellor the most trouble was the KPD. Revolutionary elements within the party, frustrated at the inactivity of the KPD, began to push for a more aggressive stance. KPD members stood up in the Reichstag and demanded action to alleviate the suffering of the unemployed, while local party activists distributed pamphlets about the "class treason" of KPD members Clarissa Rafanelli-Askanier, President of Italy, and Minister of Education Jean-Pierre St. Gerard. In Zeeland, a KPD cell instigated a riot among out-of-work shipwrights. Although Chairwoman Rafanelli-Askanier denounced violence, it became increasingly clear that she was losing touch with the rank-and-file. The Minister of Education, frustrated with the lack of action, instituted new educational grants for factory efficiency and overall output, thinking that increased production might mean more jobs. Yet even his plans failed, and a militant uprising broke out in Schwerin and Manila. Manila, in particular, was a Communist hotbed, as the residents bitterly resented German imperialism and interference in their local politics. The rebellion was easily dispersed, but individuals in all parties demanded an investigation into KPD activities throughout the republic.

xGAvis.jpg

k4VezM.jpg

gC8VI6.jpg

j6JCPL.jpg

The lone individual pressing for restraint was the Chancellor. In a speech to the Reichstag, he said, "Democracy is the surest cure for society's ills. The people should unite behind our coalition and seek reform, not revolution." Interior Minister Johannes Carile added, "If we allow revolutionaries the right to demand political change by force, we are no better than disorganized hoodlums. Revolution is evil, as God as my witness, and I will do whatever is necessary to bring it to a halt. We will not be like those fools in Egypt or China!" The Chancellor was able to build a coalition for social reform, but he tried to steer the coalition's work toward increasing the minimum wage. The DSU was able to build up even more support in the Conclave, but in the Assembly, disaffected members began to ponder switching to another party that would not ignore the most pressing issue in Germany: unemployment.

wa1Vly.jpg

9v3uus.jpg

No issue captured the minds of German votes in the 1908 election like unemployment. The heavy DSU presence in all manners economic (including Minister of Finance Friedrich Gerulf and President of the State Planning Commission Otto Meier) ensured that they got most of the blame. Unemployment was indeed a serious problem. Tens of thousands of Germans were out of work. Attempts to improve efficiency or increase the minimum wage did not help Germans without a job. Demonstrations for still-higher unemployment compensation were the least assertive method at the disposal of the German people. Many Germans took to supporting a new movement out of Transylvania called fascism. Himkleck Runge, Wilhelm von Hohenzollern, and Roman von Weis founded a new party, the German People's Union, which offered a genuine alternative to the other parties of Germany. The DV demanded large public works programs and, even more importantly, the dramatic expansion of the army and navy. Runge, the party's leader, even penned an editorial calling Foreign Minister Axel Wouters a "pacifist, weak-willed Freemason." Although the Foreign Minister denied the claims, some Germans could not help but notice the extremely passive foreign policy of German ever since signing the alliance with China, particularly since Ethiopia and Algeria had called Germany to arms and the Foreign Minister had refused. "Brittany and Malacca", wrote Runge, "are poor compensation for Ethiopia and Algeria. Economic agreements are the coward's way to bring the world under German control. There are much better ways."

Another favorite target of the DV was DLP member and long-serving Minister of War Konrad von Schwaben. He had done nothing to reform the army under the DSU government; military observers predicted that the German army could double in size with no ill effects, yet not a single new regiment had been formed under his leadership. Wilhelm von Hohenzollern was among the most vocal of Schwaben's opponents, calling him "a reactionary dinosaur who refuses to get out of the way for new blood. If the corrupt Republic of Germany cannot field a proper army, perhaps it is the job of the DV to form one for the glory of the Fatherland."

mzhBNf.jpg

QESFht.jpg

With all of the angry accusations, it came as no surprise that the elections were hotly contested. Germans concerned with unemployment looked to the DV for guidance. While few workers were eager to pick up a rifle, if it meant feeding their families, they would happily do so. The DV's designs to "eliminate the hideous abomination that is 'the Republic of Italy'" were far less popular, and the people of Germany remained stolidly in favor of minority rights. However, they agreed that if Germany needed more resources and other countries could not or would not trade, it was the duty of the government to take them by force. A current of jingoism swept Germany; in particular, campaigns to absorb the rest of France or take more land from Poland were popular in the editorial sections of many a German newspaper. More than a few Polish or French citizens who wanted to vote in local elections found their way blocked by DV members armed with batons. The Gendarmerie kept order, for the most part, but blood was shed at several polling stations across the country.

The end result was somewhat surprising, as the DSU received a solid mandate from most moderate and even left-leaning Germans. They gained even more seats in the Assembly and Conclave than they had before. However, the story was not the same for other parties. The DLP, running on a platform of laissez-faire economics, fell from more than 20% of the Assembly to barely more than the Bundespartei. The Conservatives made a surprising resurgence and were the second largest party in the Assembly. At the other end of the political spectrum, the DV made huge gains in their first general election, outpolling both the KPD and DDA.

Even if the DSU remained the dominant faction, few Germans were prepared to accept business as usual. DV members loudly campaigned for seats in the government. Conservatives, who had been entirely excluded from the first Bavel-Timmermans administration, had a legal right to demand their own spot. The KPD was imploding. The DDA went from afterthought to near non-existence. If the Liberals and Conservatives could commit to a popular front government, they might be able to seize power from the DSU. The DSU could even try to incorporate Conservative principles into their party platform. All parties knew that if Germany was to stay orderly, unemployment had to be resolved.

DCGRFs.jpg

OzdIKV.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Supreme Court invites all party leaders to come together and form a new coalition for 1908-1912. As a reminder, the Conservatives and DSU are the only two parties legally guaranteed ministerial posts under German law, thanks to the Conservative presence in the Conclave. Remember also that the posts of Chief of the General Staff and Commander of the Gendarmerie do not count towards fulfilling these requirements.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

((BTW, I know that I forgot to legally put forward the new techs via the Reichstag. I completely forgot I was Minister of Education. :) We completed all of Warlord Skorr's plan, finished Shift Work, and started Organizational Development, for those keeping score at home.))

((BTW, I know that I forgot to legally put forward the new techs via the Reichstag. I completely forgot I was Minister of Education. :) We completed all of Warlord Skorr's plan, finished Shift Work, and started Organizational Development, for those keeping score at home.))
((You rang?;)
Current tech report:
Mil: 4-4-4-5-5 Nav: 5-5-4-5-5 Com: 4-5-5-4-6 Cul: 5-6-6-5-6 Ind: 6-6-5-5-5))