• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1904: The birth of mass communication

The second year of Chancellor Franz von Bavel-Timmerman's first term in office was marked by a distinctly international flair. Germans became more connected to each other and the rest of the world than ever before. Germany's finest athletes flocked to Rome to participate in the Third Olympic Games. One of them was Erich von Hohenzollern, who obtained a leave of absence from the army to participate in some of the equestrian events. The young Corporal was eager to prove his mettle against the finest athletes in the world.

Erich von Hohenzollern wasn't the only soldier to benefit from the attention of the Olympics. Konrad von Schwaben, Minister of War and Jean-Pierre St. Gerard, Minister of Education, jointly announced several new educational programs available to military men of all stripes. The newest Steam Turbines were operated by naval engineers. The German General Staff College incorporated the latest military trends, including an emphasis on experienced enlisted men. The Naval War College even announced the laying down of an experimental new vessel, the Dreadnought, which would incorporate modern technology in exciting new ways. If the prototype was successful, several private firms were already salivating about the possibility of construction these mammoth ships for the German navy.

xyjfoj.jpg

BgpAoM.jpg

Foreign Minister Axel Wouters was busy too. Wouters concluded a landmark agreement with China that saw mutual military cooperation as its basis. China was engaged in a brutal war with Poland that left some politicians calling for German military or economic support for their new friend. It was highly unlikely that China alone could defeat Poland.

For the ordinary German, however, these events were all very far away. Every citizen of the Republic was captivated by new forms of communication and entertainment. The world's first motion picture with speech, The Legacy of the Hohenzollerns was shown around the Republic to rave reviews. Actor Sebastian Ritter, a descendant of a very ancient German family, played the title role as Friedrich I, Graf von Nürnberg. Konrad Friedrich von Hohenzollern himself attended the premiere and proclaimed it a true classic, worthy of the family name. Not to be outdone, Reichspräsident Eva von Vandenburg delivered a stirring radio address, the first in German history, celebrating the achievements of German science and prosperity.

Prosperity, indeed, was the order of the day, as money flooded into the German treasury. One of the first political campaigns conducted purely by radio was done by President of Italy and KPD Chairwoman Clarissa Rafanelli-Askanier, who called for the diversion of some of that wealth to benefit unemployment. Otto Meier, President of the State Planning Commission, joined her in pushing for those changes. His policy of discontinuing government support for failing industries left many Germans out of work, but Meier accepted his responsibility. Finance Minister Friedrich Gerulf expressed no opposition to the plan, provided that there were no increases to the taxes on the poor to pay for the new program.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Supreme Court is now accepting any legislative proposals for the 1905 session. The Chief Justice reminds the Chancellor ((@TJDS)) that he must sign the Decorum Resolution for it to take effect as well.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

I propose expanding the nation's unemployment subsidies to better meet the needs of the people.

-Otto Meier

Last edited:
There is a single item on the ballot for 1905: should we extend our unemployment subsidies? All members of both houses should vote.

Aye!

Also I will sign this proposal if it becomes law, while also officially signing the laws that have already passed both Houses.

With the Chancellor's signature, the Decorum Resolution becomes law. ((I've updated the OP; please let me know if something doesn't make sense or if I've misinterpreted something. I am emphasizing that characters, not players, are banned via the 2/3rds vote, since banning players would be a matter of forum policy.))

Yes

Otto Meier

Aye

Nay

Nay

Yes my allies, vote against giving layabouts, communists, and liberals even less reasons to work! Vote for the German spirit of doing work and getting paid for it as opposed to the decadent ideals of getting paid for doing nothing!