• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1. Aye
2. Nay
3. Aye
4. Aye

-Johannes Carile

I find that Assemblyman Axel Wouters has stated my reasons better than I could have myself. I only find the Crisis Committee Reform Act less beneficent that he does.

It is a new century that Germany faces, and we must adapt to the changing world we find ourselves in. It is clear that the continuing unrest in the Republic is less based in notions of nationalism or any political idea than has been supposed. Communists have made direct attacks upon the government even as a party that proposes to represent them takes part. Nationalists of all stripes have claimed their people will unite behind them, but there has never been the support they suppose among their 'fellows'. It is clear that study of the margins of society as well as the intellectually disenfranchised is required to better understand how to ensure the stability of society. The Ministry of Education can do more with inquisitive minds turned to this end than a thousand Gendarme.

((Support Unemployment Subsidies, Oppose Crisis Team Amendment, Oppose Crisis Committee Reform Act, Support Legislative Efficiency Act
Current techs: Mil: 4-4-4-4-4 Nav: 5-4-4-4-4 Com: 4-5-5-4-5 Cul: 5-5-5-5-5 Ind: 5-5-5-5-5
Anti-Rationalism, Social Alienation))

1:Aye
2:Nay
3:Aye
4:Aye

1. Aye
2. Abstain
3. Abstain
4. Aye

1. Abstain
2. Nay
3. Nay
4. Aye

1. Aye
2. Nay
3. Aye
4. Aye

((A bit behind schedule -- I genuinely forgot what day it is -- but here are your results!))

1. The motion for unemployment subsidies has passed, 425 votes to 64 and 52 votes to 20.
2. As Herr Meningen withdrew his proposal, there are no results.
3. Herr von Hohenzollern's proposal passes 208 votes to 102 and 56 to 24. Frau von Vandenburg and Herr Meningen are requested to sign the bill into law.
4. Herr St. Gerard's bill passes 352 to 137 and 78 votes to 0. It, too, must be signed into law.

That concludes the business for the Reichstag this year.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

((I will play and update tonight, since neither of the two measures which require signatures have an in-game impact, as we should not have another crisis so soon.))

1900: The Dawn of the German Century

Chancellor Franz Meningen began 1900 the same way he ended 1899; working to build multilateral support for his policy initiatives. The fiery Liberator of old appeared now and then, particularly when criticizing the unnecessarily confrontational policy of his Foreign Minister, Hubert Schaumburg, but for the most part he was a consensus builder. He approved a new package of unemployment subsidies; ostentatiously bought the first copy of the new German Red Star, the official newspaper of the DSU; and wept with the common German when the British Empire beat Germany to the North Pole. Meningen could justly say he had done more for the working class than any of his predecessors, with his low tax rates for the poor and extensive social programs.

That did not mean, however, that he was universally loved. Meningen's openly antagonistic relationship with the Foreign Minister reached a new low when he publicly undermined Minister Schaumburg in a blistering speech from the Chancellor's office. He demanded that crisis teams should not be unaccountable to the most powerful man in the Reichstag, and insisted upon veto powers over future crisis decisions. A more moderate plan from the Chief of the General Staff, Konrad Friedrich von Hohenzollern, won widespread approval. Recognizing that he had little alternative, the Chancellor supported the more moderate plan, but took one last shot at the Foreign Minister when he outright refused to aid the people of Danzig in their campaign for restoring lost glory. While Schaumburg had no response, a movement slowly began to build behind him.

There were those Conservatives and Imperialists that hated all of the working class reforms given to the people of Germany. They hated the free-form, democratic nature of the Meningen administration. Some of them pointed out that reforms only begat more reforms; not satisfied with "money for laziness," as one capitalist put it, now people wanted more healthcare. Campaigns to provide better pensions or improve working conditions also had significant support. The "Anti-Rationalists," as they called themselves, bitterly reproached the liberal ideology for not embracing "the creative and destructive passions of violence." They called for a state founded on the principles of emotion, of the raw, crackling energy that results when ideals or persons collided. "In the fires of competition, we will forge a more powerful Germany," one said. "We will slay our enemies and dominate the globe. The strong will rule, as nature intends, not the weak."

As the Reichstag gathered to conduct business for 1901, there were more than a few nervous members who worried about the influence such a group might have.

aYeK1P.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As soon as the President and Chancellor have addressed the legislation of the past session of the Reichstag, new legislation may be proposed. ((We can do more social reforms, should we choose.))

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

((I'm going to work on the new version of the Constitution over the next day or so. I'm hoping to make it easier to understand and simpler to find what you need.))

((Nice update, Av. Good mix of information and color))

((Thank you! :)

I have a revised version of our rules ready, and I will post them as soon as our President and Chancellor have decided on the laws which were voted upon.

While I'm thinking about the rules, are there any mechanics you would like to see added to the iAAR? Any existing mechanics that could be improved?))

3. Herr von Hohenzollern's proposal passes 208 votes to 102 and 56 to 24. Frau von Vandenburg and Herr Meningen are requested to sign the bill into law.
4. Herr St. Gerard's bill passes 352 to 137 and 78 votes to 0. It, too, must be signed into law.

Reichspräsident Eva von Vandenburg signs both laws.

The chancellor signs both laws

I am proud to see that Germany has prospered over the past few years and that this prosperity has spread to all classes and ethnicities. The Republic of Germany shall be a model of liberty and prosperity for the rest of the world.

-Chancellor Meningen

((What country has Danzig's cores?))

((Thank you! :)

I have a revised version of our rules ready, and I will post them as soon as our President and Chancellor have decided on the laws which were voted upon.

While I'm thinking about the rules, are there any mechanics you would like to see added to the iAAR? Any existing mechanics that could be improved?))
((What about adding regularly updated screenshots of things like the Reforms page, a map of Germany, the Economy page, stability number, (i.e. things that change regularly but don't always appear in the updates) to the OP?))

Reactions:
aYeK1P.jpg

((But... but... we could have had Danzig or War! and jumped straight to HOI))