• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would like to propose a legislation relating to the navy

the naval department creation act

1. the department of navy of the navy will be created
  2. The navy of the republic will be controlled by the department of navy and not by Ministry of War or the Großer Generalstab during war and peace
  3. the naval department will report to the chancellor and the assembly/conclave
((the name should be Führungsstab des Heeres or Kommando Heer, KdoHeer instead of Großer Generalstab ?))

800px-Berlin%2C_Tiergarten%2C_Reichpietschufer%2C_Bendler-Block_02.jpg

Calling upon my long experience as Minister of War and as Chancellor during the Great War, I am of the opinion that this proposal is extremely unwise. Having a single department responsible for both Army and Navy has served us well. I claim particular credit for pushing through the expansion and modernization of our Navy that served us so well, and continues to do so as we dominate the seas and all possible competitors. Similarly, during wartime, the smooth coordination between Army and Navy provided by a single General Staff permitted us to conclude the Hedjaz war with minimal German casualties and modest expense.

Gutfreund, Chancellor

Reactions:
Herr von Smithereens' proposal will be added to the ballot. However, it falls under the "Creation of a New Ministry" clause, and would thus require 3/4s of both houses to pass.

The Supreme Court is waiting to hear from some Assemblymen before ruling on the issue of the no confidence vote ((@NachoEater, @PTSnoop, @strategymad3500, @Jack LEagle.))

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

((Private - Council of Ministers))

Herr Kanzler and Ministers of the Republic of Germany,

The Great War has ended with a satusfying result and the Cabinet has overseen the return of the German Armed Forces to their place in a peaceful Germany. With the transition from war to peace, I do wish to ask, you, the fellow members of this cabinet, what the future of this National Unity Government is. Will we continue it until the end of the parliamentry period or will we, having finished our primary task, deliver our resignation to the Reichspräsident and call early an early parliamentry election?

Thank you for your time

Franz von Bavel-Timmermans,
Stadtholder of Rotterdam, Leader of the DSU

The no confidence vote against Herr Schaumburg fails, 100 votes to 371.

The Supreme Court requests that the Chancellor (@Jack LEagle) respond to the the Chairman of the DSU's proposal before we proceed to the ballot and voting for this session, as a general election would supersede all ballot initiatives. Further, it also seeks candidates for the office of President of Italy; as a reminder, to be eligible for the office, the candidate must have been born in Italy and presently reside there. The elections for President of Italy will be held as soon as all candidates have declared themselves. ((I will do what I did last time; run 100 die rolls and add up who receives the most votes.))

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

((I also think that I need to create a new character, if only to give poor Sakura somebody to lord over. :p))

Name: Jean-Pierre St. Gerard
Birthplace: Avignon
Date of Birth: 9 November 1865
House: Assembly
Party: KPD

Jean-Pierre St. Gerard was born into a life of privilege. His father was among the wealthiest bankers in all of France, while his mother was the sister of the Prime Minister. He spent most of his youth gallivanting with his friends across Europe, picking up a degree in German history along the way from the Sorbonne. By the age of 25, he flitted from one social circle to the next, courting every young woman in Paris. The only thing less consistent than his romantic attentions was his political ideology. Apart from a vaguely pro-German attitude, he shifted between parties constantly. He was first elected to the French Chamber of Deputies in 1891 as a member of their Liberal party. His first bill was to seek a close military and economic partnership with Germany; it was defeated unanimously because St. Gerard was passed out at home on the day he was supposed to vote. To prevent his son from becoming any more of an embarrassment, St. Gerard senior sent Jean-Pierre on a "fact finding mission" to Japan. In reality, it was an excuse to get him out of Paris.

St. Gerard heard of the Great War and tried to return home as quickly as he could. He had several friends among the ruling class of both France and Germany, and he hoped he could mediate an end to the war. His father, a proud Conservative, nonetheless recognized the threat Germany posed to France and tried to convince the Prime Minister to make a peace with Germany before Paris was burned to the ground. Instead, the Prime Minister had him arrested for treason and executed before Jean-Pierre could return. For the first time in his life, Jean-Pierre was furious with the establishment and his homeland. When he heard the news, he decided to stop in the Philippines and ask for asylum from Germany, fearing his own execution. While he waited, a recruiter for the KPD spoke to him about the KPD's mission to seek justice for the working class and to defend Germany from international imperialism. Jean-Pierre was overwhelmed by the passion of the recruiter (who just so happened to be an extremely attractive woman) and found himself enraptured by the Communist cause. The KPD helped get him into Germany, and as soon as peace was concluded, Jean-Pierre became the first member of the Assembly from the newly German province of Avignon.

Reactions:
I will of course run for President of Italy.
~Maria Victor

((Please read my latest post if you have questions about the timing of voting.))

I shall cast myself for the office of President of Italy.

As well, the Communist Party welcomes the election of Comrade St. Gerard, and his commitment to fraternal communist liberation and the progression of the working class towards its goals of equality, liberty and justice for all men and women.

- Clarissa Rafanelli-Askanier
Turin

This list does not show every Chancellor to ever govern Germany, but it expressly demonstrates where the power of state lies. The Consuls of old, and the modern Chancellor share more than the Reichsprasident does with the Consul. After 1829, we begin with Chancellors of the Republic, rather than the Consul, whose office was abolished. This list should form a concrete continuity of state, beginning with Herr von Werl's overthrow of the Hohenzollerns in 1714 to the current ministry of Herr Gutfreund.

Of note, those whose historical records fail to mark a specific political affiliation are marked as Nonpartisan; those who are considered "Free Candidates" in the early Republic are marked as Nonpartisan. The Young Bavarians are simply the Imperialists with another name, as per historical records.

Update now includes the election of Germany's latest Assemblyman.

As well, common colloquial names for some notable figures have been included:
"Staatsvater" for Herr von Hohenzollern, (State's father)
"der Schreckliche" for Herr Arndt, (The Terrible)
"der Märtyer" for Herr von Bern, (The Martyr)
"der Eiserne Kanzler" for Herr von Bismarck, (The Iron Chancellor)
and "der Befreier" for Herr Meiningen, which he commonly goes by in day-to-day mail. (The Liberator)

16 November 1696: Kaiser Friedrich IV declares the Republic; he would declare himself a dictator in 1703; thus we represent it with a different entry.
1696 - 1703: Friedrich IV "Staatsvater" von Hohenzollern (Imperial Nonpartisan)
1703 - 1714: Friedrich IV "Staatsvater" von Hohenzollern (Dictatorship)
1714 - 1747: Leopold Johann von Werl (Revolutionary Nonpartisan)
1747 - 1750: Wilhelm Rainer (Young Bavarians)
1751 - 1753: Joseph Wecker (Nonpartisan free candidate)
1753 - 1761: Ruprecht Kohn (Nonpartisan, unopposed)
1761 - 1769: Joachim Hector Lindner (NS)
1769 - 1777: Leopold Johann von Franken (NS / Young Bavarian)
1777 - 1783: Johann Georg von Weimar (UAI / Alliance)
1783 - 1789: Wilhelm Friedrich Edelmann (NS)
1789 - 1798: Leopold Ferdinand "der Schreckliche" Arndt (Nonpartisan)
1798 - 1805: Leopold Johann von Höhn (Nonpartisan)
1805 - 1813: Johann Nestor Wachsmuth (Alliance)
1813 - 1821: Ferdinand Maria Schumann (Nonpartisan)
1821 - 1829: Georg Friedrich von Arnim-Boitzenburg (UAI)
1829 - 1836: Konrad von Hohenzollern (NS)

1836 - 1840
: Miguel de la Rosa Picard (UAI)
1840 - 1845
: Florentin Willem Graf von Wächtersbach (NS)
1845 - 1849
: Alex "der Märtyrer" von Bern (NS)
: Friedrich-Augustus von Altmark (UAI, Acting)
1849 - 1863
: Otto "der Eiserne Kanzler" von Bismarck (NS)
1863 - 1865
: Hugo Unger (HUN)
1865 - 1869
: Michael von Hohenzollern (HUN)
1869 - 1870
: Konrad von Schwaben (NLPD)
: Ludwig Fredrik Andersen (UAI)
1870 - 1880
: Konrad von Schwaben (NLPD)
1880 - 1885
: Frederick Carlile (NLPD)
1885 - 1890
: Franz "der Befreier" Meiningen (Bundespartei)
1890 - incumbent
: Hals Friedrich Gutfreund (NLPD)

The following persons are of note in the Conclave of Stadtholders:

Frau Clarissa Rafanelli-Askanier
of Turin, KPD
Herr Franz von Bavel-Timmermans of Rotterdam, DSU
Herr Rodrigo de la Rosa von Stauffenburg of Brussels, UAI
Herr Walther Herwig of Bad Harolsen, UAI
Frmr. Kanzler und Prasident Konrad von Schwaben of Freiburg, NLPD.
Herr Minister Johannes Carlile of München, NLPD
Frau Maria Victor of Foggia, Bundespartei
Reichspräsident Samuel von Dwyfor-Frauenkirche of Somerset-in-Exile, Bundespartei
Herr Albrecht von Spinoza of Kiel, Conservative
Herr Abel von Gawk of Königgratz, Conservative. ((This guy is listed as "Bohemia", so I'm taking artistic license.))
Herr Franz Josef von Habsburg-Lothringen of Vienna, Conservative
Herr Hubert Schaumburg of Prague, Conservative
Herr Konrad Friedrich von Hohenzollern, Hereditary Stadtholder of Nürnberg, Conservative
Herr Hans-Jurgen von Arnim-Boitzenburg of Berlin, Imperialists
Herr Otto von Altmark of Altmark, Imperialists
Herr Paul Friedrich Emil Leopold of Detmold, Independent

The following are notable members of the Assembly:

Herr Jean-Pierre St. Gerard of Avignon, KPD
Herr Lukas von Freiberg of Freiberg, DSU
Herr Axel Wouters of Brussels, DSU
Herr Christian Peymann of Aarhus, DDA
Herr G.A. Servatius van Kloetinge, DDA
Frmr. Kanzler Ludwig Fredrik Andersen of Friedrichshafen, UAI
Herr Frederick Thiessen of Münich, UAI
Reichskanzler H.F. Gutfreund of Hannover, NLPD
Frmr. Kanzler Franz "the Liberator" Meiningen of Ost-Berlin, Bundespartei
Herr Friedrich von Livland of West-Berlin, Bundespartei
Präsident von Italien Karl Adimari of Trent, Conservative
Herr Friedrich von Nassau of Nassau, Conservative
Herr Giuseppe Putini of Livorno, Conservative
Herr Alexander von Smithereens of Bern, Conservative
Herr Franz Ferdinand "der Beinbrecher" Schuettler of Nuremberg, Conservative
Frau Eva von Vandenburg of München, Imperialists

- Chief Historian of the Reichstag

Last edited:
((Anyone who votes right now runs the risk of contracting some horrible venereal disease. :p))

Reactions:
To Herr von Bavel-Timmermans and the Chief Justice: I do not agree that the government should dissolve itself before its full term. If Herr von Bavel-Timmermans finds that he can no longer serve as Foreign Minister, I shall reluctantly accept his resignation, and appoint a replacement.

Gutfreund, Chancellor