• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I hereby change my vote from Abstain to Nay. We don't need more fronts.

I agree with Comrade Rafanelli. No.

Hermann von Leute

((I'll give it one more day, but TBH, the war is probably inevitable at this point. :) ))

((Mathematically, probably not, but it's still a good idea to vote so you can get your opinion out there. :) ))

What use do we get from a war? We should focus our attentions on Europe; not Syria.

The Reichstag has officially declared war on Hedjaz with a vote of 371 to 28 and 68 to 3. As the Foreign Minister did not ask for any war goals, the Foreign Ministry will accept a white peace as soon as it is offered.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

((I will finish up this update tomorrow, everyone. It'll be an 18 month update to compensate for how long it's taken. :) ))

Dear Members of the Assembly,

My name is Hans Grüber, of late the German ambassador to the United Kingdom. I have been contacted by a member of the British Parliament who seeks an end to the war -- but not on our terms. In exchange for renouncing all rights to Plymouth and permitting it to be reincorporated into the British Empire, they will end the war and not seek additional territory.

I am a loyal German, ladies and gentlemen. Plymouth is ours, and renouncing it would seem to be almost criminal. However, the truth is that we are in no position to retake Plymouth and the British, along with Benin, have destroyed our African armies and are rampaging unchecked. We are doing well against the French, but they obstinately refuse to hear reason. Eliminating the British as competitors would allow us to devote our entire effort to punishing France and the Byzantines.

If we refuse their generous offer, we risk domestic unrest. Let us redouble our efforts against our foes in the Great War; the new French provinces would more than offset our loss at Plymouth.

iCT5UU.jpg

Hans Grüber, Ambassador to the United Kingdom
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Foreign Minister ((@Brothersid)) is invited to respond; any response would entail a vote from the Assembly in order to approve it.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

I would strongly advise the Foreign Minister against any courses of action which may be perceived diplomatically as abject cowardice.

~ K. F. von Hohenzollern, Chief of the General Staff

Let the Scotsmen have their little peninsula of corpses; we benefit more from letting those haggis-eating freaks have it than not.

- Rafanelli

Let the Scotsmen have their little peninsula of corpses; we benefit more from letting those haggis-eating freaks have it than not.

- Rafanelli

Frau Rafanelli, would you so willingly turn your back on our German brothers and sisters in Plymouth? Would you not advocate for liberation, were the roles reveresed, and you found yourself facing enslavement at the hands of the Republic's enemies?

~ K. F. von Hohenzollern

The needs of the whole outweigh the needs of the few; Plymouth being handed over to Britain until we are prepared to reclaim it would be the beneficial path to take; considering we don't have the resources, armies and navies to defeat Britain. What if we reject this offer, and Britain comes back later with even more catastrophic demands? Then what?

Besides, we have our hands-full fighting not only Britain, but France, Hedjaz and all of their allies.

I agree with Stadthoder Rafanelli. This war with Britain is but a side=show. We can afford, for now, to accept their terms. The main prize, and peril, is the Great War; we must not lose that.

Gutfreund, Chancellor

((What culture is Plymouth?))

((85% Breton -- as in from Brittany. Flemish is #2, with around 11%, then Austrian at 2%, followed by "other." Other cultures include Greeks, Lombards, and Scots.))

Comrade Rafanelli has the right of it. Let us also consider that, even if we did defeat the British, they would simply attack us again and again, every time we were even slightly weak, until they regained the land.

Hermann von Leute

This may be surprising but I believe we should give into British demands. I despise any attempt to weaken Germany and make our anti-democratic enemies stronger but let us look at the facts. Plymouth is a liability to the Republic as the Scots will always scheme for its return and will always try to attack us as long as we possess a portion of the British Isles. Perhaps our traditional British enemy will be willing to work with us and even embrace democracy if we end this eternal grievance. Plymouth is also extremely vulnerable and almost impossible to properly defend. If we annex French lands on the Atlantic then Plymouth's necessity as an Atlantic naval base is much reduced. Furthermore, the people of Plymouth are more culturally tied to the British then they are to the peoples of the Republic. Finally, ending the conflict with the Scots would make our war with France, Byzantium, and Hedjaz much easier. I am certain we can beat Britain and our other enemies with our powerful navy but we should reduce the bloodshed if possible. Any gains from our vanquished enemies would make the sting of losing Plymouth much easier.

If we wish to protect the small German and Flemish minorities in the area then we can stipulate in the peace treaty that their lands and possessions are not to be violated.

-Herr Liberator

Thank you for your support, fellow Comrades.

This man's common sense must have gone out of the window with his sanity. He calls himself "Legbreaker" because he knows how to use brute violence against people? Shameful.