• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
4. Safety Reform- Aye

Given the rabid rate at which the Italian Government has taken it upon itself to dictate military policy to the German government, I cannot it good conscience support devolving further power to it. Yet I do not think that the experiment has run its course.

The Fairness in Government Act seems legitimate to me. I have heard no argument against it that does not equally apply to Italian Home Rule.

((Oppose German Sovereignty Act, Support Fairness in Government Act, Oppose Italian Preservation Act, Support Safety Reform))

Safety Reform - No

Hans-Jurgen von Arnim-Boitzenburg
Imperialist, Conclave

1. German Sovereignty Act - Yes
2. Fairness in Government Act - Abstain
3. Italian Preservation Act - No
4. Safety Reform - Yes

- Eva von Vandenburg

The results on the first three ballot issues are as follows:

The German Sovereignty Act fails in both houses, 95 votes to 231 and 30 votes to 66.
The Fairness in Government Act passes the Assembly, 226 to 212, but fails in the Conclave, 21 votes to 53. ((I'm genuinely surprised this one made it through the Assembly but failed in the Conclave. I assumed it would pass the Conclave, but Latin Kaiser abstained and TJDS voted against, which killed it.))
The Italian Preservation Act fails in both houses, 227 to 260 and 41 to 55.

Herr Fritz von Hohenzollern has informed the court he is abstaining on the issue of safety standards. In order to properly tabulate votes, however, we need votes from the DSU and Conservatives in the Conclave ((@TJDS, @LatinKaiser)).

The Court has made a temporary ruling, that social or political reforms do not require the President's signature, should the bill for new safety standards pass the Reichstag. However, the Reichstag may choose to pass legislation in 1890 to settle the issue more firmly, if they wish.

Finally, the Commander of the Gendarmerie ((@Qwerty7)) is reminded that as soon as this session of the Reichstag closes, he will lose his second year to interrogate suspects. ((Remember, if you're interrogating someone, just PM me that you're doing so, and whom you are interrogating. Whether or not you wish to share the transcripts is up to you.)) If Commander Kant, or his successor, does not make an arrest in the 1891 session, the investigation will be terminated, according to German law.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

4. Yes

((The investigation mechanics are over-complicated in my opinion and I think it should simply come down to a dice roll. Maybe the amount of plotters there and the length of time the Commander of the Gendarmerie has served in his position can serve as modifiers. Presumably more plotters would make it easier for an investigation to succeed and a more experienced commander would have an easier time investigating.

Also, I don't know what possible purpose the interrogations can serve.))

((The investigation mechanics are over-complicated in my opinion and I think it should simply come down to a dice roll. Maybe the amount of plotters there and the length of time the Commander of the Gendarmerie has served in his position can serve as modifiers. Presumably more plotters would make it easier for an investigation to succeed and a more experienced commander would have an easier time investigating.

Also, I don't know what possible purpose the interrogations can serve.))

((I specifically designed the mechanic to avoid dice rolls. The purpose of investigations is to have the investigator determine who he thinks is guilty. It is intended to crudely simulate what an actual murder investigation would be like, since we're in the 19th century and don't really have any way to analyze evidence. The investigation mechanics really boil down to:

1) Figure out where the guy is hiding
2) Use those locations to figure out who the culprit might be. [Protip: NPCs aren't doing assassinations!]
3) Question people
4) Arrest somebody

Any sort of dramatic change to the mechanic is not going to happen, especially since there was plenty of opportunity to comment on it and you didn't say anything except vote "no."

If this becomes something we do frequently, we can expand it a bit, perhaps allow investigators to examine the crime scene, but we need to finish a couple before we can go any further.))

I support the proposed safety regulation reform.

~ K.F. von Hohenzollern

((Avindian, can we have a polling mechanic? Basically, we PM you to ask a region a few specific questions about politics, and depending on the politics, minorities, and demographics of that region and we get a percentage who are favorable, apathetic, and against.
Example would be this:
We PM you to ask the people of the Rheinland:
Do you support an 8 hour work day?: 45% yes, 45% no, 10% apathetic.))

((Avindian, can we have a polling mechanic? Basically, we PM you to ask a region a few specific questions about politics, and depending on the politics, minorities, and demographics of that region and we get a percentage who are favorable, apathetic, and against.
Example would be this:
We PM you to ask the people of the Rheinland:
Do you support an 8 hour work day?: 45% yes, 45% no, 10% apathetic.))

((That might be feasible, as long as the math isn't too complex on my end, and as long as you understand that I can't 100% guarantee results.))

The proposed safety reform passes, 424 votes to 0 against in the Assembly, 75 votes to 21 against in the Conclave.

This session of the Reichstag will remain open until 10 PM this evening to allow for any last minute questions/concerns/changes to ministerial plans, then it will close.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

I'm rather disappointed at the failure of the Fairness in Government Act. As much as it may seem counter-intuitive for a Liberal to support it, a Conservative in the coalition could be interesting. It may have also finally ended the whining on behalf of the opposition.

I'm rather disappointed at the failure of the Fairness in Government Act. As much as it may seem counter-intuitive for a Liberal to support it, a Conservative in the coalition could be interesting. It may have also finally ended the whining on behalf of the opposition.

I highly doubt that, mister president. The opposition, with some exceptions, has completely removed themselves from reality.

My issue with the bill is that it is quite undemocratic. If only ten percent of our citizens vote for the Conservative party then why "must" they receive a place in government and an important cabinet post that gives them the power to dictate important policy? Why even bother holding elections at all if the results will be completely ignored? It makes a mockery of the democratic voice and disregards the will of the people. The situation is very similar to a monarchy in which dukes receive a place in government merely because they are dukes.

-Chancellor Meningen

The Chancellor says we removed ourselves from reality? He himself has been so far removed from reality for so long it is laughable.

I highly doubt that, mister president. The opposition, with some exceptions, has completely removed themselves from reality.

My issue with the bill is that it is quite undemocratic. If only ten percent of our citizens vote for the Conservative party then why "must" they receive a place in government and an important cabinet post that gives them the power to dictate important policy? Why even bother holding elections at all if the results will be completely ignored? It makes a mockery of the democratic voice and disregards the will of the people. The situation is very similar to a monarchy in which dukes receive a place in government merely because they are dukes.

-Chancellor Meningen

My dear Chancellor,

The legislation, as I envisioned it, did not favor Conservatives in the least, if you review it carefully. The purpose was to make sure that the present government could not repeat; namely, one which favors only certain ideological blocs, shutting everyone else out of government. I find it odd that you are so pro-devolution and freedom for minorities, but that you cannot see how you, yourself, have been oppressing those members of the Reichstag who do not belong to your party, the UAI, or the NLPD.

Fritz von Hohenzollern