• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Minimum wage passes, 469 votes to 24 in the Assembly and 61 votes to 21 in the Conclave.

The Reichstag is hereby dissolved, with local elections to begin immediately. The Supreme Court rules that Herr Carile is ineligible to run for Chancellor again, based on the constitutional maximum of two total terms; the length of the term is not specified. After the elections are complete, the Reichstag is invited to submit legislation to clarify this point, if it wishes..

The Court has determined, based on an extensive review of the Constitution, that Konrad von Schwaben is to remain President for an additional two years; dissolving the Reichstag does not dissolve his own position, as he is not formally part of the Reichstag. In 1887, Germany will hold a separate by-election for the office of President. The President elected at that time will serve a four year term.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

((Hey guys, I will play and update tonight if possible.))

The Supreme Court would like to apologize for a clerical error. At this point, both the President and the Chancellor have served not for two years, but for just under nine months. While the ruling on Herr von Schwaben remains, Herr Carile is now officially declared eligible to serve as Chancellor for an additional four year term, provided that all other conditions of such a coalition are met.

((Is anybody interested in setting up an assassination mechanic in the iAAR and/or have recommendations for how to carry it out?))

Statement from the Arbeiterversammlungen of the Communist Party of Germany

The Party is proud to announce that Comrade Heinrich von Silesia-Glogau has joined our ranks as a member of the Party. We welcome him dearly, and request that his status on the formal Reichstag role call be updated to confirm his membership in the KPD.

Signed,
Wilhelm Liebknecht

The Supreme Court would like to apologize for a clerical error. At this point, both the President and the Chancellor have served not for two years, but for just under nine months. While the ruling on Herr von Schwaben remains, Herr Carile is now officially declared eligible to serve as Chancellor for an additional four year term, provided that all other conditions of such a coalition are met.

((Is anybody interested in setting up an assassination mechanic in the iAAR and/or have recommendations for how to carry it out?))
((Perhaps something similar to the Duel mechanics? Only with a much lower chance of success.))

(( The idea of assassination mechanics intrigued me, so I had a go at throwing something together. I've been basing the mechanics loosely on Archduke Franz Ferdinand's assasination, with possibly a soupçon of Kennedy in there too.

The basic idea: your character has gathered together a group of outraged nationalists / malignant thugs / suspicious men in dark glasses (delete where applicable) to forcibly inhume some other character of your choosing. Odds are, most of them won't get the right angle at the right time, or will get cold feet at the last moment or something. But if your merry gang is large enough, one of them may well succeed... or get captured and spill the beans about exactly who funded their little disappreciation society.

Choose a number of assassins (one is fine, but probably a bit too small a group to actually achieve anything; nine or above will almost certainly get you caught in the attempt). For each assassin, roll a D20 for the attempt itself (if the target is killed, stop rolling D20s). Then, roll a D10 to see if they - or you - got away with it.

D20:
1 - The assassin got caught, and is now shooting his mouth off to any interrogator who'll listen. -2 penalty to detection roll.
2 - The assassin got caught, but he's keeping reasonably quiet. -1 penalty to detection roll.

3-17: No luck, this assassin didn't achieve anything. On the plus side, he didn't give the game away either.

18 - The assassin killed an NPC innocent bystander.
19 - The target was wounded.
20 - Success! The target was killed.

D10:
You're trying to roll more than the total number of assassins. If you roll fewer than this number (after any interrogation penalties), then the whole plan was traced back to you personally, the game's up, and you may as well hand yourself in to the Gendarmerie or flee the country or something. If your roll is equal to this number, then you'll hear in-thread a number of intriguing conspiracy theories about what really happened, but nothing concrete. If it's greater than, then your assassins either escaped scot-free or just didn't know enough about their employer to get you into trouble.

If all your assassins rolled 3-17s and you survived the D10 roll, then no-one even noticed the assassination attempt - you can at least congratulate yourself on your ninja-like tendencies and try again later. On the other hand, if something did happen then we get Breaking News announcements in-thread about what happened (or almost happened), and the in-character witch hunts can begin.

No more than one assassin squad per player per in-game year. (Or maybe per four-year election cycle? Discuss.)

))

Reactions:
(( The idea of assassination mechanics intrigued me, so I had a go at throwing something together. I've been basing the mechanics loosely on Archduke Franz Ferdinand's assasination, with possibly a soupçon of Kennedy in there too.

The basic idea: your character has gathered together a group of outraged nationalists / malignant thugs / suspicious men in dark glasses (delete where applicable) to forcibly inhume some other character of your choosing. Odds are, most of them won't get the right angle at the right time, or will get cold feet at the last moment or something. But if your merry gang is large enough, one of them may well succeed... or get captured and spill the beans about exactly who funded their little disappreciation society.

Choose a number of assassins (one is fine, but probably a bit too small a group to actually achieve anything; nine or above will almost certainly get you caught in the attempt). For each assassin, roll a D20 for the attempt itself (if the target is killed, stop rolling D20s). Then, roll a D10 to see if they - or you - got away with it.

D20:
1 - The assassin got caught, and is now shooting his mouth off to any interrogator who'll listen. -2 penalty to detection roll.
2 - The assassin got caught, but he's keeping reasonably quiet. -1 penalty to detection roll.

3-17: No luck, this assassin didn't achieve anything. On the plus side, he didn't give the game away either.

D10:
You're trying to roll more than the total number of assassins. If you roll fewer than this number (after any interrogation penalties), then the whole plan was traced back to you personally, the game's up, and you may as well hand yourself in to the Gendarmerie or flee the country or something. If your roll is equal to this number, then you'll hear in-thread a number of intriguing conspiracy theories about what really happened, but nothing concrete. If it's greater than, then your assassins either escaped scot-free or just didn't know enough about their employer to get you into trouble.

If all your assassins rolled 3-17s and you survived the D10 roll, then no-one even noticed the assassination attempt - you can at least congratulate yourself on your ninja-like tendencies and try again later. On the other hand, if something did happen then we get Breaking News announcements in-thread about what happened (or almost happened), and the in-character witch hunts can begin.

No more than one assassin squad per player per in-game year. (Or maybe per four-year election cycle? Discuss.)

))

((You are an evil, evil person. Just the sort to draft an excellent assassination mechanic. I approve, and lean towards the 4 year option))

Reactions:
I thank President Von Schwaben for dissolving the government. It was a necessary evil. Let us go into the next election hopeful to create a new coalition free from poisonous influences.

The election of 1885: A referendum on the Bundespartei

The first government with the Bundespartei fell apart in near record time. When the no-confidence vote failed, Chancellor Frederick Carile tried to find a legal loophole to have the polarizing Foreign Minister Franz Meningen replaced, as the 'Liberator' had consistently tried to hold the government hostage in an attempt to get his programs approved. The shouting matches between Carile and Meningen bordered on legendary, as each one accused the other of the most heinous acts. Finally, with no recourse, President Konrad von Schwaben dissolved the Reichstag and called for new elections. The old policies remained in place, and so a new, increased minimum wage (a favored program of the DSU and KPD) was balanced by an expansion of both the German army and navy, spearheaded by Krupp AG.

n79hKZ.jpg

ILEySC.jpg

Rkwfxo.jpg

Seeking to take advantage of a divided electorate, Karl Adimari of the New Society and Chief of the General Staff Friedrich von Hohenstaufen of the HUN announced a merger. Assemblyman Adimari remained the head of the new Conservative party; the new party was poised to profit from the liberal in-fighting. Adimari and Hohenstaufen, along with Minister of War HF Gutfreund, jointly announced the expansion of Germany's military, including 36 new brigades, totaling over 100,000 men, and brand new battleships. The plan would take about six months to complete the army units and a little longer for the battleships, but it would greatly improve the military both quantitatively and qualitatively. Naval engineers developed a new system of producing the large guns needed for the Main Armaments of the battleships, which promised to greatly increase the speed of construction while not sacrificing firepower, range, or accuracy.

The resulting election was, surprisingly, quiet at the polling places, but not so in the public. A splinter group of the KPD calling itself the "Sons of Ferdinand" stimulated a small and easily crushed uprising. Another cell of the "Sons of Ferdinand" also instigated a riot in Franche-Comte; Gendarmerie units put down the riot efficiently, but foreign press gleefully attacked Germany's image. Minister of the Interior Emmanuel Victor was pressured to shut down news coverage of the incident, but refused to do so. The riot in Franche-Comte was costly for Germany's politicians, especially an elderly contingent that enjoyed tours of wineries and vineyards. Among the fallen were several members of the DDA, Joseph Heinz of the UAI, three members of the new Conservative party, and two Imperialists. They enjoyed reminiscing about the good old days; normally joining them was Gerrit Aldo Servatius van Kloetinge, the former Commander of the Gendarmerie, but he missed the year's tour. Writing from his home in Kloetinge, the Assemblyman called the men "the truest friends Germany ever had; that people in Germany felt the need to express themselves so violently is a symbol that our system has failed, that our warmongering and our constant need to gratify our lust for blood is not worth the price." The state funeral was one of the largest in recent memory, but notably absent were the Stadtholders of the KPD; they were attending a very different funeral in Steiermark, where a worker had committed suicide after being mangled in some factory equipment.

NmJs4d.jpg

k8sIUx.jpg

jFfNfV.jpg

vm9nlZ.jpg

Despite the tragedies, the average German liked the way things were going. He or she had money in their pocket for the first time in a very long time, and credited the NLPD with maintaining order and prosperity. To that end, all three liberal parties actually gained a few seats. The conservatives, who once polled 20% of the Assembly in their two parties, actually lost the most, dropping to 13%, with every other party benefitting from the Conservative losses. In the Conclave, the big surprise was the DSU, who earned a guaranteed ministry for the first time by polling over 20% of the vote. The Conservatives also gained slightly as the DDA's ability to gain seats evaporated. The liberals could expect to run the government again, but even if the vote totals were similar, it was difficult to see how the Bundespartei could expect to have such an overwhelming presence in the government again.

vX32bo.jpg

Nc9M5M.jpg

======================================================================​
There are no pressing matters for the ballot this session; legislation may be proposed immediately while the various parties work on a coalition.

((Admin hat on))

D20:

D10:

))

I really like PTSnoop's idea here. it's very simple and easy to understand. I would make a couple of changes:

1) We need some modifiers. I would actually make it easier to get caught for any member of the government to get caught except the Commander of the Gendarmerie or Minister of the Interior, who I suspect would have an easier time covering it up. That would be a -1 for most positions, except the latter two who would be a +1. As far as successfully taking down your target, again you could make an argument that the Gendarmerie/Ministry of the Interior would have an easier time finding disreputable sorts, say a +1 for the roll, and the Chief of the General Staff/Minister of War would also get a +1 since they'd know lots of people with combat experience. Killing a Minister should be harder than just an ordinary Reichstag members; I'd say -3 for President/Chancellor (assuming they'd have substantial protection), -2 for Gendarmerie/General Staff (combat experience, being away from the capital and surrounded by armed men), -1 everyone else. A natural 1 has to be a catastrophic failure; maybe the assassins decide to target the original conspirator instead? "I'll double what he's paying you." Even give them a bonus to kill the guy, maybe a +2 or +3. The roll is free; they cannot be detected, since their target would be unlikely to say anything. Move the penalties to detection up to 2 and 3.

2) I want to be far stricter about the amount of attempts possible. I would say a maximum of one or two per year, first come, first served. If I get multiple PMs, they're resolved in order.

If anybody else has ideas, speak up; I'd like to get a proposal formalized so we can take a metavote.

Reactions:
((I'm more intrigued with why this assassination mechanic is being created now. Did someone want to off the Liberator or something and this is how they decided they'd be able to do it. :p))

Reactions:
((I cannot confirm or deny that. However, I do think that since we neutered duels and nobody seems to be using coups, a way to get rid of a troublesome/unpopular character is no bad thing.))

((Could you nerf the liberals Avindian, it is abnormal and not fun for the other players to see one liberal supermajority after the other and the conservatives weaker then the imperialists....))

((...As much as the KPD is "ra, ra, labour"; we would still have payed our respects to the death of a fellow Reichstag member.))

((Could you nerf the liberals Avindian, it is abnormal and not fun for the other players to see one liberal supermajority after the other and the conservatives weaker then the imperialists....))

((The liberals don't have a super majority in the Conclave, so any legislation supported only by the liberal parties is doomed to fail there.))

Apennine Restoration Act

Preface. Understanding the dangerous practices of devolution which threaten the cohesive unity of the German Reich, and the integrity of the state therein by seeding potentially dangerous separatism in the Lombard provinces, the Reichstag of the German Republic henceforth resolves:

Article I. Upon ratification of this law, the Second Italian Home Rule Act shall be repealed and no longer considered a valid law of the German Reich.

Article II. The Minority Commission shall serve as the general advisory committee on all affairs regarding minorities in the German Reich and shall compose of two (2) members of each minority group that is not of Germanic ethnicity. This panel of members shall, from time to time, deliver unto the Reichstag a statement of the current affairs in each province containing a minority group as a majority of the province. This will include reports on militancy, needs, literacy ratings, and they shall recommend appropriate courses of actions as they see fit in each ethnic region in the Republic. The appointees shall be chosen by the Chancellor and Reichsprasident, and shall be confirmed by a simple majority vote in the Reichstag.

Article III. The Minority Commission shall, to the purvey of the Reichstag, either recommend or not, a redrawing of districts and provinces in the region as so to minimize any ethnic disputes in the region by drawing new borders based on either physical territory, or ethnic lines.

Article IV. Any further legislative agendas regarding devolution must be passed off to recommendation by the Minority Commission to ensure that these concerns and proposals have sound logic behind them, and not simply the hearsay of members of the Reichstag. In order for a devolution law to pass, the President and Chancellor must both explicitly sign off on the law and give their sound approval -- they may not remain silent or abstain from signing or vetoing it. This shall be done to ensure that the President and Chancellor remain in control of their houses, and cannot simply pass a potentially explosive problem off down the line, as per the fiasco regarding the Second Italian Home Rule Act.

Article V. The German Reich shall recognize the green-white-red tricolor as a regional flag, and permit it to be flown from any government building, school, or place of worship in the Apennine Peninsula. It may not be flown higher than the German flag, but it may be flown at the same height or below. Upon their death, any Lombard soldiers or servants of the state whom recieve a state funeral, shall be buried with the flag of Italy as well as the flag of Germany. Any Greek soldiers or servants given a state funeral shall be buried with the flag of Magna Graecia as seen below:

greek_war_of_independence_flag_by_captainvoda.png

Thus enacts the APENNINE RESTORATION ACT.

Ja. :)

((If somebody comes up with a way for me to do it, I'd be willing to consider it. My knowledge of modding isn't that great. :) As alxeu points out, the Conclave is in better shape. One thing that may have artificially nerfed conservatives in this election is that I forgot to disable the New Society until February -- I changed the start date but not the end date -- but I'm not convinced that it did cause any problems.

The redundancy act passed and is now law. As much as i disagree with it, surely it applies here?

It is a new election cycle, so the Redundancy Act would not normally apply, but even if it did, the changes made are substantial enough to warrant a second attempt.

((If somebody comes up with a way for me to do it, I'd be willing to consider it. My knowledge of modding isn't that great. :) As alxeu points out, the Conclave is in better shape. One thing that may have artificially nerfed conservatives in this election is that I forgot to disable the New Society until February -- I changed the start date but not the end date -- but I'm not convinced that it did cause any problems.

It is a new election cycle, so the Redundancy Act would not normally apply, but even if it did, the changes made are substantial enough to warrant a second attempt.

((Speaking of that, when will we have an election for the Italian President?))