• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1. War against Venice - Yes, by God, yes. The Venetians shall pay for their treachery to my forebear, Katarina Rosenberg.

2. More Holidays - No. Now get back to work.

Hans-Jurgen von Arnim-Boitzenburg
Conclave
Proud Imperialist in a long line of proud Imperialists

The naval bases on Malta and Sicily would be a great boon to the Republic's national security in the Mediterranean theatre. With the Venetian army and navy on the other side of the Atlantic, I believe the islands can be taken with the minimum of bloodshed - and their possession will certainly improve the Republic's defence and save German lives in the long-term future. I therefore support the declaration of war.

I also support the Friedrich-Rainer Day Act.

By a total of 121 votes in favor to 275 votes against, the Declaration of War on Venice fails in the Assembly. ((I'm not sure how the Conclave would work out, but it's irrelevant in this case because of the margin of failure in the Assembly.))

The issue of Friedrich-Rainer Day remains open until we hear from Herr Herwig or another Stadtholder in the UAI. ((Cough cough, @Warlord Skorr.))

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

Fiends! You have condemned the Republic to shame! The people of Sicily and Malta are crying out for help yet you abandon them. This marks the second time we have denied aid to oppressed peoples around the globe. Soon, Germany's name shall be less than mud.

-Herr Liberator

The Friedrich-Rainer Day Act passes, 236 votes to 229 votes in the Assembly and 31 votes to 16 in the Conclave.

This concludes the Reichstag's business for 1882.

((I will play and update tonight!))

Reactions:
Fiends! You have condemned the Republic to shame! The people of Sicily and Malta are crying out for help yet you abandon them. This marks the second time we have denied aid to oppressed peoples around the globe. Soon, Germany's name shall be less than mud.

-Herr Liberator

Herr Liberator,

First of all, there is no proof of your so-called oppression of Sicily and Malta, more importantly, would we not oppress them if we "liberated" them, as you have proposed, and used them as naval bases, would we not open the door to more conflict in the seas around Sicily and Malta if we gave it martial importance, would we, if we do not oppress them to build our naval bases, sacrifice them for a German Cause, which they do not know or follow, to the Navies of European Powers, seeking to attack other Republican Lands.

Secondly, the German reputation is not better or worse than it was a decade ago, for the reputation of Germany has been smeared by the jingoistic policies of the Conservative Governments and the refusal of succeeding German governments to compromise with other European powers, whose lands have been taken and whose people are oppressed by a Republic claiming to liberate Europe from their own home countries. Thus, if you truly wish to leave the German reputation better than you saw it, I strongly advice the discontinuation of your ludicrous and jingoistic claims and propositions, for the people of Germany, who will be left mourning by the call of duty, and the people of Europe, who will be left oppressed by those who answer the call of duty.

Lastly, I do hope the Kanzler will more openly oppose these wars, for I fear for the cooperation between the coalitionpartners if this important foundation of the Deutsch Sozial Union is ignored by the Nationalliberale Partei Deutschland.

Franz von Bavel-Timmermans,
Minister of Finance,
Leader of the Deutsch Sozial Union

Herr Liberator,

First of all, there is no proof of your so-called oppression of Sicily and Malta, more importantly, would we not oppress them if we "liberated" them, as you have proposed, and used them as naval bases, would we not open the door to more conflict in the seas around Sicily and Malta if we gave it martial importance, would we, if we do not oppress them to build our naval bases, sacrifice them for a German Cause, which they do not know or follow, to the Navies of European Powers, seeking to attack other Republican Lands.

Secondly, the German reputation is not better or worse than it was a decade ago, for the reputation of Germany has been smeared by the jingoistic policies of the Conservative Governments and the refusal of succeeding German governments to compromise with other European powers, whose lands have been taken and whose people are oppressed by a Republic claiming to liberate Europe from their own home countries. Thus, if you truly wish to leave the German reputation better than you saw it, I strongly advice the discontinuation of your ludicrous and jingoistic claims and propositions, for the people of Germany, who will be left mourning by the call of duty, and the people of Europe, who will be left oppressed by those who answer the call of duty.

Lastly, I do hope the Kanzler will more openly oppose these wars, for I fear for the cooperation between the coalitionpartners if this important foundation of the Deutsch Sozial Union is ignored by the Nationalliberale Partei Deutschland.

Franz von Bavel-Timmermans,
Minister of Finance,
Leader of the Deutsch Sozial Union

Under your logic Germany should release its Italian lands and return them to Venice and the Greeks since we "conquered" Italy over a century ago and the Italian people did not "ask" for it. But look where we are now- the Italian people live under the most prosperous and free state in the world. True, the Italians have been underrepresented and deserve more liberties but imagine if they were still under Venetian rule? I shudder to think of it.

-Herr Liberator

((Hey guys, I finished playing, but I'm going to update tomorrow night instead of tonight. Thanks for your patience!))

1882: The dawning of a new age in politics

For the first six months of 1882, Germany was silent. Germans continued their everyday lives, went about their business, and hardly paid attention to politics. New business regulations barely attracted a glance from any but the most politically invested Germans, and even those were hard pressed to object. Within the Reichstag, things were different. The rejection of the Foreign Minister's request to declare war on Venice strained relations between the HUN and the NLPD. Listless, Fritz von Hohenzollern didn't even respond when Polish officials harassed German merchants trading in their ports on the Baltic Sea.

2OrQd1.jpg

The Chancellor, Frederick Carile, was pleased to announce the discovery of another Egyptian tomb. Careful study of what Germans had already learned about the ancient Egyptians prompted new departments to spring up in universities all over the Republic. Interdisciplinary programs in what were termed "the Social Sciences" encompassed anthropology, history, archaeology, sociology, even political science and economics, all originally aimed at improving the German understanding of ancient civilizations. However, some of these lessons were applied to German society as well, and an intellectual undercurrent of prominent Germans began to question why Germany was the way it was.

VxFpvd.jpg

FH3SO5.jpg

With new political parties registered for the elections of 1883, including Wilhelm Liebknecht's KPD and Franz Meningen's Bundespartei, German political consciousness started to awaken in August with a suffragette march that captured the nation's attention.

7NJCii.jpg

ffX6qF.jpg

Even President Konrad von Schwaben was unsure what to make of the groundswell of support for an issue that, while it had been raised before, it had never gone beyond a few women demanding the right to vote. For whatever reason, women's suffrage resonated among the German populace in 1882 the way it hadn't before. Suffragette marches coincided with marches to raise the minimum wage, both issues that demanded the Reichstag's attention. The German economy was booming, which usually meant relative domestic peace, but these issues were not going to go away any time soon.

4oFLLa.jpg

T2Iz9l.jpg

271f1T.jpg

=========================================================================​
The issue of Women's Suffrage is formally on the ballot, as introduced by a coalition of Assemblymen and Stadtholders. Any other ballot initiatives may be added for the next 48 hours, or until Friday at 10 PM.

Reactions:
What do women know of the affairs of state? Their place is in the home caring for their children. They know nothing of how the government is run. Granting them the right to vote will turn the electoral process into a joke where candidates are elected for being handsome instead of possessing the intelligence necessary for the job. Let the women remain in the home where they are best suited while men handle the daunting task of running a country.

- Wilhelm von Vandenburg

What do women know of the affairs of state? Their place is in the home caring for their children. They know nothing of how the government is run. Granting them the right to vote will turn the electoral process into a joke where candidates are elected for being handsome instead of possessing the intelligence necessary for the job. Let the women remain in the home where they are best suited while men handle the daunting task of running a country.

- Wilhelm von Vandenburg

I know many women who know more about politics than you do, Herr Vandenburg. It does not take an extraordinary amount of effort to read a newspaper and attend political clubs at night.

It is time to give the same freedom to women that we give to all men of the Republic.

-Herr Liberator

I know many women who know more about politics than you do, Herr Vandenburg. It does not take an extraordinary amount of effort to read a newspaper and attend political clubs at night.

It is time to give the same freedom to women that we give to all men of the Republic.

-Herr Liberator

Regardless of the intelligence of said women, if they are dabbling in politics and other affairs, who will be taking care of the children? Next thing you know women will be working in factories alongside men while their children wander the streets alone! The very structure of the home and family is in danger. Granting women the right to vote is merely the first step in its dissolution.

- Wilhelm von Vandenburg

Regardless of the intelligence of said women, if they are dabbling in politics and other affairs, who will be taking care of the children? Next thing you know women will be working in factories alongside men while their children wander the streets alone! The very structure of the home and family is in danger. Granting women the right to vote is merely the first step in its dissolution.

- Wilhelm von Vandenburg

Poor women do have to work. They also must shop and clean. Surely voting once a year and reading an occasional newspaper will not prevent them from taking care of their children anymore than going to market or helping with the farm do.

Poor women do have to work. They also must shop and clean. Surely voting once a year and reading an occasional newspaper will not prevent them from taking care of their children anymore than going to market or helping with the farm do.

Regardless of what they do during their day, women have no business voting on what they know nothing about. Women do not serve in the army, so should they have a say in matters of war? Of course not. Just like war, there are other matters of state that fall entirely under the purview of men and thus should only be decided upon by men. As I have said, a woman's place is in the home where she is needed. That is where a woman is most valuable, raising the future generations of Germans.

- Wilhelm von Vandenburg

Regardless of what they do during their day, women have no business voting on what they know nothing about. Women do not serve in the army, so should they have a say in matters of war? Of course not. Just like war, there are other matters of state that fall entirely under the purview of men and thus should only be decided upon by men. As I have said, a woman's place is in the home where she is needed. That is where a woman is most valuable, raising the future generations of Germans.

- Wilhelm von Vandenburg

On one hand you say that women are too feeble-minded to vote yet on the other hand you entrust them to raise the next generation of Germans. How can you trust them to raise our children if you cannot trust them to vote?

On one hand you say that women are too feeble-minded to vote yet on the other hand you entrust them to raise the next generation of Germans. How can you trust them to raise our children if you cannot trust them to vote?

((You're really making my 19th century sexist reactionary work here to come up with explanations. :p))

Women merely lack knowledge in the areas required for deciding the fate of a nation. They are extremely capable in other areas such as child-rearing. They know how to raise children because it's ingrained into them at birth. Maternal instinct and whatnot. It would be foolish for us to force women to go against their own biology.

- Wilhelm von Vandenburg