• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Voting is now closed. Of the four ballot initiatives, only one passed, the Gendarmerie Reform Act, 51 votes to 46.

The Ban on Communist Parties was defeated 49 votes to 337 in the Assembly and 29 votes to 68 in the Conclave.
The Colonization Act was defeated 72 votes to 313 in the Assembly, but did pass in the Conclave, 80 votes to 16.
Finally, the Union Busting Act ((or whatever we're calling it)) was defeated 49 votes to 337 in the Assembly and 29 votes to 68 in the Conclave.

This session of the Reichstag is now dismissed, and we shall meet again in 1882.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

((Going to try to play and update tonight!))

A victory for the worker, and a victory for the people of Germany! However, it is a shame that the Colonization Act failed. Too bad.

- Comrade Liebknecht

Reactions:
So you say that; but you're obviously lacking in the logic department.

All the better to enable our Negroid comrades to join in the Revolution, Comrade Liberator.

- Liebknecht

When anarchistic ruffians are to be seated and supported, we surely have started to go down said path.
I must ask my honored colleague to speak civilly to his fellow representative. Political disagreement is no reason to lose a tongue to a temper.

Now, my dear Comrade Liebknecht, let us speak in private, for I wish to learn more of your ideology. Its emphasis on egalitarianism intrigues me, though I reserve doubts on its economic policy.

~Herr Victor

Reactions:
1881: The Year of the Philosopher-Chancellor

Wilhelm Liebknecht, the new leader of the KPD, understood how conservative the average German was, and in particular, the Conclave of Stadtholders. If he ever hoped his programs of social reform and government welfare would succeed, he had to find allies, and most importantly, he had to avoid finding enemies. On the latter score, he had failed. The Conclave narrowly avoided banning his party altogether, and luminaries in the Imperialists and HUN still did not trust him. The KPD needed to grow before it could challenge the status quo, and so his initial tactics were non-confrontational. The DSU did not entirely trust the KPD either, but was at least willing to talk.

1881 was a good year for peaceful deliberation. Science and intellectualism was the order of the day, whether it was Chancellor Frederick Carile's amateur scientific experiments captivated huge crowds at lecture halls throughout the Republic. Indeed, his experiments in chemistry had played a small role in the distillation of petroleum and proved the concept, at least, of liquid fuel for ships and, perhaps, personal transportation. In these circles, the founder of the KPD found some acceptance, particularly in the philosophy department in Leipzig University. He held long debates with champions of a new philosophy called Hermeneutics, which focused on the interpretation of popular philosophical texts.

KfR5kj.jpg

vLWa8Z.jpg

MKVPyt.jpg

With the Shadows out of power, Germans breathed a little easier. Many of the ex-Shadows fled the country rather than face prosecutions, but many more, who had never positively been identified, simply returned to their normal lives. There was no way of knowing who was part of the organization, and the Ministry of the Interior did not favor any kind of witch hunt that might fracture the consensus he had built. Besides, Franz Meningen could not afford to be too aggressive; his eyes were firmly on the elections of 1883. While voluntary programs of assimilation were encouraged, the Gendarmerie was ordered to stand down rather than break up meetings of Wallonian nationalists in Leeuwarden. When members of the KPD marched in solidarity with the workers of West Switzerland, the Captain of the local branch of Gendarmerie ensured that the march was entirely peaceful.

W2hkZy.jpg

SXXvta.jpg

8JfP0H.jpg

The perfect domestic tranquility was, to a certain extent, matched with foreign peace. Germany and Sweden inked a new agreement, drawing them close together economically, while Germany stayed out of a crisis in Qara Koyunlu.

omjQCg.jpg

cotsx2.jpg

Yet when the session of the Reichstag began on 1 January 1882, it was the Foreign Minister who requested permission to address them. Fritz von Hohenzollern took the lectern from the Chancellor and removed his speech from his pocket. "Gentlemen of the Reichstag, I come before you today in a time of great peace and prosperity for Germany. We are earning money as never before. Yet I see something coming on the horizon. A war that might very well cripple our country, if not the world we live in. The only way we can be properly prepared for this impending disaster is to secure our borders as best as possible and make sure we control the vital trade routes that help that prosperity. That is why I am asking for a declaration of war on Venice. Venice is more than our timeless foe; they have all but abandoned Europe for their holdings in South America. I say we extend our prosperity to the islands of Sicily and Malta and construct advanced naval bases there. From there, we can command the Mediterranean, ensuring that our rivals do not get their first. We cannot allow our brethren in Tunis to be cut off from the motherland; we must ensure communications with the rest of Germany.

I do not say we will declare war tomorrow. That would be foolish; we are still commissioning ironclads and it will require time to move troops into position. Yet I am confident that my friend and colleague, Friedrich von Hohenstaufen of the General Staff, will affect a quick and decisive victory and secure these vital military interests. Thank you."

zD6Rxu.jpg

HqMvEC.jpg

======================================================================​
In addition to Herr von Hohenzollern's request for war with Venice, the Supreme Court will also consider the addition of other initiatives. Please report them by 10 PM on Friday (-6 GMT). Until then, please refrain from voting. Thank you!

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

((Venice is a Great Power? And here I thought they were some backwater nation exiled to the far corners of the Americas. :p))

((May we have an update on the state of our navy and bases, please))

((May we have an update on the state of our navy and bases, please))

((Navy is currently 64 ships -- 25 ironclads, 9 commerce raiders, 30 transports. Two more ironclads will finish next year.

Naval bases are as follows. * denotes that next level base is being built (so Zeeland is presently lvl 3 with the lvl 4 base under construction):

Plymouth - lvl 1
Bruges - lvl 1
Middelburg- lvl 3*
Amsterdam - lvl 3
Groningen - lvl 3*
Oldenburg - lvl 3*
Flensburg - lvl 3*
Aarhus - lvl 1
Hamburg - lvl 3
Lubeck - lvl 1
Schwerin - lvl 1
Kolberg - lvl 3*
Marseilles - lvl 3*
Nice - lvl 3
Genoa - lvl 1
Massa - no base
Leghorn - lvl 1
Sassari - lvl 1
Bizerte - lvl 2
Reggio di Calabria - lvl 1
Aquila - lvl 1
Ancona - lvl 1
Venice - lvl 1
Trieste - lvl 1
Ravenna/Ferrara - no base
Senj - lvl 3
Harper - lvl 2
Vigan (Philippines) - lvl 1))

I must ask my honored colleague to speak civilly to his fellow representative. Political disagreement is no reason to lose a tongue to a temper.

Now, my dear Comrade Liebknecht, let us speak in private, for I wish to learn more of your ideology. Its emphasis on egalitarianism intrigues me, though I reserve doubts on its economic policy.

~Herr Victor

Ja, comrade. Let us do so.

- Liebknecht

Apparently, our dear foreign minister 'feels' a war coming, a war that will bankrupt our nation. From who, he does not say. His proposed solution to this problem? To declare war. Why, may I ask? Why is this your solution? Why can we not engage in diplomacy, and try and secure a peaceful solution? And furthermore, why should we risk German lives to fight a war based on what is little more then a gut feeling. A feeling that someone, somewhere will attack us? I strongly object to this proposed war.

Apparently, our dear foreign minister 'feels' a war coming, a war that will bankrupt our nation. From who, he does not say. His proposed solution to this problem? To declare war. Why, may I ask? Why is this your solution? Why can we not engage in diplomacy, and try and secure a peaceful solution? And furthermore, why should we risk German lives to fight a war based on what is little more then a gut feeling. A feeling that someone, somewhere will attack us? I strongly object to this proposed war.

How could a war against Venice possibly bankrupt our nation?

The Venetian oligarchs want no peaceful solution. They will hold Sicily and Malta to the end of time and menace the people of those islands.

The corrupt oligarchy must be taught a lesson! Hopefully with our victory the people of Venice will rise up and install a true democracy.

-Herr Liberator

Last edited:
((Keep the roll call coming, guys! I'll mark Idhrendur as active too, since we know he's on vacation or whatever.))

(( Thanks! Honeymoon, actually. I'll probably be not quite as active for a week or so more, but I've got computer access again at least. ))

How could a war against Venice possibly bankrupt our nation?
You must have misunderstood, I did not suggest it could.
The Venetian oligarchs want no peaceful solution. They will hold Sicily and Malta to the end of time and menace the people of those islands.

The corrupt oligarchy must be taught a lesson! Hopefully with our victory the people of Venice will rise up and install a true democracy.

-Herr Liberator
Really,Herr liberator? Have you been to Sicily and Malta, to see this supposed 'oppression'? To see what you claim is a people who want democracy? Have you met with the Venetian 'oligarchs' to suggest a peaceful solution, and have they refused? I suggest you do these things before making such statements.