• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Surrender or peace shall not be thought of. Germany will not abandon the good men of Plymouth to Scottish reprisals. We may have to wait some weeks to strike, but when we do, Britain shall pay for their injustices -- I recommend we take up a deferential focus on Britain, and focus on knocking Poland out of the war, first and foremost, before returning to Operation: Seelöwe.

Also, unfortunately, this war has made it nigh impossible to come to the defense of Bulgaria. They're strong, they shall win victory without us. No intervention in Bulgaria, our manpower is spread too thin as it is.

I second this. Rebuild our navy and focus on the threats on the continent.

~Frederick Carile, Financial Minister

((I'm guessing there is already a deficit, Avindian?))

((Av, could I see some screenshots of the current situation at the fronts?))

It was busy day in the Conclave, many members of both Chambers of the Reichtag and even some Ministers had gathered there for the controversial report that von Bavel-Timmermans' commission had made. One thing was clear, that this bill would be forever bound to him and the Von Schwaben Chancellery. Franz took a deep breath before he began to speak, then he stepped forward.

Herr Präsident of the Conclave, may I have the floor?

Stadtholders of the Conclave, gathered Assemblymen and Ministers, half a year ago the Kanzler asked me to create a cross party parliamentry commission for the Head of State Question, for those not informed about the question, it repressents the discussion about the lack of a Head of State, I have talked to a lot of people in said time, with many differing opinions, some wanted a monarchy, others did not want to end the Head of State and Head of Government function of the Kanzler, because it would otherwise create another useless position. In the later stages of the research of the commission, various individuals claimed that the cross party parliamentry commission was a shady trick of the Kanzler to circumnavigate the National Assembly and Conclave of Stadtholders, when it was in fact the contrary, the cross party parliamenty commission was created to discuss the need of a Head of State and in which form the office should come, and if the answers were found by the commission, to create and scrutenize a bill to solve the Head of State Question once and for all, so that it would pass the National Assembly and Conclave of Stadtholders without trouble, since party members of every party worked to create a bill that all could accept. But I digress.

This bill was not created to expand the already vast and inefficient bureaucratic machine that is the German state, au contraire, it was created to make the bureaucratic machine more efficient by dividing work over the already existing bureaucrats of the German state, this bill was not created to expand the powers of individuals in this democracy, au contraire it seeks to divide powers, not create them, thus preventing a man rising above his function and also lessening the enourmes amount of work that the Kanzler has to do as Head of State and Head of Government, thus creating a smaller, more stable, and more efficient democracy and state. If you have questions or comments about the bill, please, share them with me in my office and I will do my best to answer them all. Thank you, Mr. Präsident.

Franz von Bavel-Timmermans,
Minister of Education,
Stadtholder of Rotterdam,
Chair of the Cross-Party Parliamentry Commission for the Head of State Question

The Reichspräsident Bill​

ACKNOWLEDGING the fact that the Republic of Germany lacks a Head of State
NOTING that the Kanzler of the Republic of Germany, as Head of Government, needs to act as both Head of State and Head of Government
REALIZING that a combined office of Head of Government and Head of State would be ineffective and could lead to misuse of power
HEREBY, we, the cross-party parliamentry commission for the Head of State Question, wish to propose the Reichspräsident Bill

- The Office of Reichspräsident of Germany (from here on referred to as Reichspräsident) is hereby created, the Reichspräsident will serve as Head of State of the Republic of Germany, the term of the Reichspräsident is 5 years, a person can only serve two consecutive five-year terms as Reichspräsident, the Reichspräsident is elected with Two-Round voting system by the People at the same time as the General Election
- The Reichspräsident must be a male German citizen atleast 40 years of age and must have a moral character, all Reichspräsidents must take and uphold the following oath: "I, [name], swear that I will dedicate my efforts to the well-being of the German people and state, enhance their benefits, avert harm from them, uphold and defend the Constitution, Freedom, Democracy and the statutes of the Republic, fulfil my duties conscientiously, and do justice to all. So help me God." The Office of Reichspräsident will be temporarily filled by the Präsident of the Conclave of Stadtholders, until elections can be held
- The Office of Reichspräsident will have an official residence in the capital, where the Reichspräsident and his staff can work and invite and meet Foreign Dignitaries and Civil Servants, so the Reichspräsident and his staff can serve the Republic of Germany without problems. Bureaucrats from the ministry of foreign affairs will assist the office of Reichspräsident with this duty.
- The Reichspräsident's duties will include but will not be limited to proposing the Kanzler to the Conclave of Stadtholders and the National Assembly, appointing and dismissing the Kanzler and his Government, dissolving the Chambers under certain circumstances, signing and promulgating laws, appointing and dismissing judes, civil servants and officers of the Republican Armed Forces, declaring martial law with the consent of the Conclave of Stadtholders, excercising the power to pardon individual offenders on behalf of the Republic of Germany, awarding honours on behalf of the Republic of Germany and representing the Republic of Germany at home and abroad
- Before the expiration of his term, the Reichspräsident may be removed from office by popular vote on the resulotion of the Parliament. The resolution of the Parliament requires a two-thirds majority vote. By such resolution the Reichspräsident is suspended from further exercise of his functions
- The Reichspräsident can be impeached and prosecuted with the consent of the Conclave of Stadtholders for willfully violating German Law. Onces the Conclave of Stadtholders impeaches the Reichspräsident, the Supreme Court is charged with determining if he is guilty of the offence. If the charge is sustained the court has the authority to remove the Reichspräsident from office
- If the Reichspräsident is pronounced insane or otherwise incapable of ruling by a group of 10 doctors and a 2/3 majority vote in the Conclave of Stadtholders consenting to this diagnosis, he will be immediately removed from office and new elections for the office will be called.
- The Reichspräsident cannot be member of the National Assembly or the Conclave of Stadtholders during his term
- The Reichspräsident represents the Republic of Germany in international relations. In the name of the Republic of Germany he makes the alliances and other treaties with foreign powers. He accredits and recieves diplomatic representatives. Alliances and treaties with Foreign states which relate to the subjects of national legislation require consent of the National Assembly
- All orders and decrees of the Reichspräsident and the Kanzler, require for their validity the counter-signature of the Kanzler (in case of the Reichspräsident), the Reichspräsident (in case of the Kanzler) and of the concerning national minister, responsibility is accepted by the act of counter-signature
- In case of disability the Reichspräsident shall be represented first of all by the Präsident of the Conclave of Stadtholders. If the disability will presumably continue for a longer time, the matter of a substitute shall be determined by national law. In case of a premature vacany in the Reichspräsidency the same course shall be followed until a new election has been held
- The National ministry shall consist of the Kanzler and the national ministers
- The Kanzler and, upon his recommendation by the Conclave of Stadtholders and the National Assembly, the national ministers shall be appointed and removed by the Reichspräsident[1]
- The Kanzler and the National Ministers must have the confidence of the Conclave of Stadtholders and the National Assembly for the exercise of their offices. Any one of them must resign if the Conclave of Stadtholders and the National Assembly withdraw its confidence by express resolution
- The Kanzler shall preside over the National Ministry, and shall conduct its business according to rules of the procedure which shall be determined by the National Ministry and approved by the Reichspräsident and the Conclave of Stadtholders and the National Assembly
- The Kanzler shall lay down the general course of the policy and shall be responsible therefor to the Conclave of Stadtholders and the National Assembly. In accordance with this general policy each national minister shall independently conduct the branch of administration intrusted to him, and shall be under personal responsibility to the Conclave of Stadtholders and the National Assembly
- National Ministers shall submit to the National Ministry for consideration and decision all legislative proposals and all matters for which the constitution or the laws require such submission, as well as differences of opinion on questions which concern the sphere of action of more than one national minister.

[1] If for example, they lose the confidence of the Chambers

((PM me with Questions if you have any))

Last edited:
It was busy day in the Conclave, many members of both Chambers of the Reichtag and even some Ministers had gathered there for the controversial report that von Bavel-Timmermans' commission had made. One thing was clear, that this bill would be forever bound to him and the Von Schwaben Chancellery. Franz took a deep breath before he began to speak, then he stepped forward.

Herr Präsident of the Conclave, may I have the floor?

Stadtholders of the Conclave, gathered Assemblymen and Ministers, half a year ago the Kanzler asked me to create a cross party parliamentry commission for the Head of State Question, for those not informed about the question, it repressents the discussion about the lack of a Head of State, I have talked to a lot of people in said time, with many differing opinions, some wanted a monarchy, others did not want to end the Head of State and Head of Government function of the Kanzler, because it would otherwise create another useless position. In the later stages of the research of the commission, various individuals claimed that the cross party parliamentry commission was a shady trick of the Kanzler to circumnavigate the National Assembly and Conclave of Stadtholders, when it was in fact the contrary, the cross party parliamenty commission was created to discuss the need of a Head of State and in which form the office should come, and if the answers were found by the commission, to create and scrutenize a bill to solve the Head of State Question once and for all, so that it would pass the National Assembly and Conclave of Stadtholders without trouble, since party members of every party worked to create a bill that all could accept. But I digress.

This bill was not created to expand the already vast and inefficient bureaucratic machine that is the German state, au contraire, it was created to make the bureaucratic machine more efficient by dividing work over the already existing bureaucrats of the German state, this bill was not created to expand the powers of individuals in this democracy, au contraire it seeks to divide powers, not create them, thus preventing a man rising above his function and also lessening the enourmes amount of work that the Kanzler has to do as Head of State and Head of Government, thus creating a smaller, more stable, and more efficient democracy and state. If you have questions or comments about the bill, please, share them with me in my office and I will do my best to answer them all. Thank you, Mr. Präsident.

Franz von Bavel-Timmermans,
Minister of Education,
Stadtholder of Rotterdam,
Chair of the Cross-Party Parliamentry Commission for the Head of State Question

((PM me with Questions if you have any))

I am against this proposal

((Let's wait to introduce new bills until we have a proper update, especially one of that level of complexity. :) You should also make it clear what connection it will have to in-game election results.

I'll do a quick update now on the state of the war.))

While I cannot vote I would implore all noble citizens of this republic to vote against this bill. The foreign ministry will become useless, and it means that one person has the power to veto an entire bill, which is not 'democratic' whatsoever.

- Aderlbert af Ambroose

The foreign minister's plan is sound. The British have proven more resilient than we thought, but we cannot give into their demands. It is also unfortunate that we must abandon our ally, Bulgaria, but hopefully they will understand that we are in no position to provide aid.

- Wilhelm von Vandenburg

The 1872 Anglo-German War, part 1

General Christian Held, new commander of the 9th army, had the only easy task in the Anglo-German War: eliminating the Papal States.

6L2n3D.jpg

4th Army, in Africa, also went on the offensive, attempting to take British territory as fast as possible.

eUoUS8.jpg

17th Army marched to Opeln, near the Polish border, to receive the enemy assault. 11th Army, poised to attack Ireland, was one of the best offensive generals in the world and well prepared to lead that invasion. All of the German war plans were in good order; only one major mistake had been made: eager to meet the enemy, the German Fleet left Venice without picking up 11th Army. [1] That army would never make it to Plymouth. Predictably, the Poles charged across the border and were met by a German counterattack. [2]

UQvVUp.jpg

This first clash between German and Poles in the war was a nasty one, but the German army held the field at the end of the day, and that was all that mattered.

Gs0oNg.jpg

Good news came from the Straits of Gibraltar, as the German fleet sunk a single transport, possibly loaded with supplies for the British war effort, without so much as a scratch to any German warship's paint. That was the only good news about Britain, however. The British had flanked 4th Army in Africa, forcing General von Baden to meet their attack onto German soil -- right into a British trap, with master defender Donald Haig having already dug in.

UPzif1.jpg

Farther to the north, the German fleet encountered a British squadron patrolling the English channel and engaged it; the obsolete wooden vessels, commanded by an inept English Admiral, surely stood no chance against Horst Köhler's modern vessels. Good news came from Bulgaria, where Athens had capitulated, ending that particular conflict, allowing Germany to focus all of its attention on the present war.

D453n4.jpg

Yet, the German press could muster little enthusiasm for that victory, not when the entire 4th Army was forced to surrendered to the damnable Haig.

9s8Ncd.jpg

In short order, the German navy proved its quality, sinking the entire British squadron. That created a tactical dilemma -- whether to send the fleet in for repairs, or to race to Germany, pick up troops destined for Ireland, and land them? Ultimately, the latter course was chosen: Germany badly needed to regain the initiative against the British while the Poles continued to run into the brick wall of Germany's defenses.

6Jw7FY.jpg

However, said brick wall could only extend so far. While the Poles were unable to dislodge German forces, there were not enough troops to man every conceivable border crossing and the Polish army flooded into eastern Germany.

ICueiz.jpg

In April 1872, as German fortresses surrendered to the Polish invaders, the German fleet deposited troops in Ireland, only to meet a Polish fleet off the coast of Brittany.

5ZYTqS.jpg

The importance of this battle was, perhaps, missed, as Irish politicians in Wexford toasted the driving of British troops from their soil for the first time in centuries.

eQeweX.jpg

A week later, three Polish armies were forced to retreat, simultaneously, providing an opportunity for Foreign Minister von Wittelsbach to demand the return of German cores in Tunisia as a condition for peace with Britain.

QyqhSM.jpg

Y0Wu8R.jpg

That was when British forces rallied in Ireland, calling upon local militia to supplement their numbers. Armies poured into Kildare, beating back the German advance.

AeVGv7.jpg

The average German, however, was unconcerned, even finding time to remark on the current state of archaeology.

ANluUE.jpg

Another victory against Poland encouraged the Foreign Minister to demand the liberation of Ireland, yet the British representatives continued to duck his calls upon them. [3]

XebmvC.jpg

Zsrvb8.jpg

Even German military victories could not delay the insistence of women to have the right to vote, and the infamous "Mud March" attracted many voters to the liberal cause.

ck5y1a.jpg

By June, it all came crashing down. British flanking maneuvers eliminated the army that had landed in Ireland, the Plymouth garrison was wiped out, even the Poles won a rare victory, and most of the German fleet was sunk or badly in need of repair.

YpqleS.jpg

FfSTzU.jpg

LIgKCD.jpg

OyONFM.jpg

At a speech to the HUN party congress, Chief of Staff and party leader Friedrich von Hohenstaufen called for a new era of "German nationalism" to reclaim Plymouth and break the British Empire once and for all. He also promised to seek funding for archaeological expeditions to Egypt.

rcaq1g.jpg

ZmdCJ2.jpg

These speeches, timed as they were to coincide with the string of German defeats, angered a group of French patriots, who worried about a possible British invasion and longed to return to the peaceful embrace of their mother country.

yU7tJh.jpg

JfdpNR.jpg

A rebellion in Japan threw out the pro-German government there; the German ambassador to Tokyo, as he boarded a ship headed for Manila, swore that Germany would have her revenge.

I3JfDQ.jpg

Desperately seeking to keep his government together, Chancellor Konrad von Schwaben called for the closing down of the infamous German penal colonies in the Philippines, hoping to regain some momentum for the liberals and calm down the infuriated German populace.

722UKu.jpg

On the heels of another Polish defeat, Bulgaria then requested German aid in repelling a Byzantine attack on their soil, a request that was, at least initially, met with silence.

Y2OIsg.jpg

Although the French rebellion was already largely suppressed, the Poles continued to push westward, while the British forces enjoyed complete command of the sea and could strike anywhere at any time.

lDpZ8X.jpg

64lw1j.jpg

Chancellor von Schwaben once again called an emergency meeting of the Reichstag to address the war and what should be done about it.

[1] I'm not sure it would have made any difference. We had to move quickly, because the Brits and Poles could crush our fleet by sheer weight of numbers, as indeed they did. I did genuinely forget about 11th army, but marching them to Venice or sailing the fleet to Marseilles seemed a waste of time.
[2] I took a little leeway with LK's directions here. As soon as they hit German soil, I attacked. We didn't have enough armies to force them to attack us (and thus take advantage of the defensive bonuses).
[3] I have no idea why we couldn't make the extra war goal, but I'm kind of glad we didn't. With the Japan thing, we gained just enough infamy that going after Ireland now will actually put us over the limit. I had to think for a very long time what the Foreign Ministry's policy towards Japan would have been; given that Sakura_F has been consistently hawkish, that's the choice I made.

Since we're in September of 1872, we'll go ahead and just have the 1873 meeting a few months early. Please submit any constitutional amendments for consideration, including any reforms you'd like to pass and, if someone wishes, to propose the expedition to the Valley of the Kings.

Sakura_F, you need to decide what to do with our foreign policy. Poland won't go for a white peace. The Papal States will be overrun before 1873 is out, so we might consider a war goal against them.

LatinKaiser/Jack LEagle, all four Eastern armies have seen significant action -- the cluster of 60 is 19th, 17th, 12th, while 1st is farther to the west. Our fleet is now 13 ships -- 9 commerce raiders and 4 transports. It will take a couple of months to repair them all. We either need to pull the French armies east or mobilize our reserves (which Poland and the Brits already have), if not both. If we want to make any headway against the British, we'll need some major fleet construction. We just started Raider Group Doctrine, but waiting for that and the bases to build Ironclads would take way too long.

PTSnoop, we've got an extra NF for you to play with.

So, 48 hours to propose amendments, then we'll go on to voting. We will also make four year plans mandatory based on voting. Next elections will be September 1874, so any plans should cover that two year span.

The foreign ministry advises that we try to break the grip-hold Poland has over our territory first and foremost -- Germany cannot suffer an invasion any more.
Secondly, we will strike back against the British in all ways that we can. There cannot be justification for their meddling in Germany's affairs.

We cannot stop fighting now, victory is there, we must fight on to achieve it.

((But I guess this means there is a truth here. No matter what timeline, what universe, what powers that be exist... Sea Lion is still impossible.))

'Tis a shame the Irish expedition has met with defeat and despair. But this is the price we pay for not modernizing our fleet. We must rebuild our fleet and make it the pride of the world. The British-Scots must be humbled and Ireland must be freed! All the peoples of Germany must be called to midnight in this second Great War of liberation and drive out the Poles from our territory and then liberate the peoples of Belo-Russia.

-Herr Liberator

'Tis a shame the Irish expedition has met with defeat and despair. But this is the price we pay for not modernizing our fleet. We must rebuild our fleet and make it the pride of the world. The British-Scots must be humbled and Ireland must be freed! All the peoples of Germany must be called to midnight in this second Great War of liberation and drive out the Poles from our territory and then liberate the peoples of Belo-Russia.

-Herr Liberator
Bugger off.

I will not seek any territorial annexations against Poland -- we're already hated across the world as it is.

Have the French rebels been suppressed? If they have, we desperately need those troops on the eastern front. The Poles need to be stopped. Now. Any further advance is going to destroy our ability to make war by wrecking our factories.

I request the War Department and General Moltke to let me lead either the 6th or 11th Army to liberate Ireland.

-Herr Liberator

So long as I am Minister of War, Herr Menigen shall serve only in the capacity of a private soldier, should he choose to enlist. I wish him joy of boot camp
'

Have the French rebels been suppressed? If they have, we desperately need those troops on the eastern front. The Poles need to be stopped. Now. Any further advance is going to destroy our ability to make war by wrecking our factories.

The rebels will surrender before the month is out or they will regret it.

Michael von Hohenzollern, Commander of the Corps of Gendarmerie

((Don't forget about submitting amendments, reforms, proposals, etc.))

Perhaps we should treat our French citizens with respect instead of constantly murdering them.

Perhaps the French should stop murdering Germans.

Have we mobilized? I fear we might have to do so if we haven't already.