• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Never! You are a coward. Our soldiers want to fight and die for the cause of liberty!

Very well. I demand satisfaction!

((I just imagine that there is some sadistic alien hive mind controlling all of your AAR characters, and it is trying to get them all to fight each other in Valhalla. :laugh:))

Very well. I demand satisfaction!

((I just imagine that there is some sadistic alien hive mind controlling all of your AAR characters, and it is trying to get them all to fight each other in Valhalla. :laugh:))

Very well, let us commence with the duel!

(:)laugh:))

[The sound of Bismarck slamming his head onto the desk is heard]

I think this country is getting tired of burying men for senseless violence because some speak as if they were infantile, and some are so easily wounded by said infantile words. It is no wonder we are a joke.

- Bismarck

Gentlemen,

I beg of you both, please wait until after the war. I have it on good authority the duel master is still recovering from the last duel and will not be ready until next year.

Michael von Hohenzollern, Interim Chancellor

((We'll do the duel after the update, if you really want to continue with it. :)))

I don't think that a duel is needed between two men just because one is insulted by the other. Disagreements don't have to lead to, in worst case, death.

~Konrad von Schwaben, Leader of NLPD

((Andre, don't you dare die :D))

Heinrich resigns as Stadtholder of Hamburg following the ridiculous placement of a dinosaur on the German flag and the flag-burnings that took place afterward. He has lost all faith in the Reichstag as a serious institution and will no longer take part in its shenanigans.

((Lack of interest combined with too much silliness has led me to depart SoA. Good luck to the rest of you!))

(:)( Well, at least it was slightly more polite than Etzel.))
Von Hohenstaufen, when I appointed you as Chief of Staff this is not what I expected. If you carry on with this duel, your job will be in jeopardy! Back away posthaste, or I will fire you.
- Minister Von Spinoza

(:)( Well, at least it was slightly more polite than Etzel.))
Von Hohenstaufen, when I appointed you as Chief of Staff this is not what I expected. If you carry on with this duel, your job will be in jeopardy! Back away posthaste, or I will fire you.
- Minister Von Spinoza

Herr von Spinoza, this is a matter of honour. However, I will back down if Herr Meningen revokes his ungentlemanly words. Furthermore, you do not actually have the power to fire me, as per the act passed by the Assembly.

~ Friedrich von Hohenstaufen, Chief of the General Staff

((We need to get this normal again(Death to the weird flag) or otherwise this game will keep loosing players.I urge everybody to act seriously and dont duel unless absolutely needed))

((We need to get this normal again(Death to the weird flag) or otherwise this game will keep loosing players.I urge everybody to act seriously and dont duel unless absolutely needed))

((I agree. It is okay for an AAR to be silly, not too silly, but a little. Also, how come that this AAR don't have a coldfront channel? It would make remove some OOC clusterfuck from the thred itself.))

((it has now .
do /join #SoA))

((Join #SoA_Main for a professional, gentlemanly channel (we have top hats and monocles :p).))

((Okay, can someone please just explain to me what's so terrible about having a dinosaur on a flag? Bear in mind that in the vanilla V2 flag set, and just looking at the default flag for each nation, you'll find a peacock, a crownéd dolphin, a suspicious face, a cockrel, a snow lion casting a magical orb, and a pair of scissors. What is it about a dinosaur that makes it so outrageously silly?

Not trying to pick a fight, just genuinely wondering why people are still making such a big deal of this.))

((Okay, can someone please just explain to me what's so terrible about having a dinosaur on a flag? Bear in mind that in the vanilla V2 flag set, and just looking at the default flag for each nation, you'll find a peacock, a crownéd dolphin, a suspicious face, a cockrel, a snow lion casting a magical orb, and a pair of scissors. What is it about a dinosaur that makes it so outrageously silly?

Not trying to pick a fight, just genuinely wondering why people are still making such a big deal of this.))

((It is not a traditional symbol of Germany and is just some random newly discovered dinosaur that Andre decided should be put on the flag for some reason. IRL if someone proposed that flag they would have been called a fool and their proposal would have been ignored. That is what should have happened in here but for some reason it didn't. I found that very disengaging and just completely ridiculous, much more so than having Karl Marx as a radical liberal. At least that had an IC explanation. But this, this has no explanation whatsoever as to why it was allowed to be voted on by the Reichstag. All those other odd symbols most likely have some significance to those countries or regions of countries, be it through tradition, culture, religion or something else. The same cannot be said for some random newly discovered dinosaur.))

Herr von Spinoza, this is a matter of honour. However, I will back down if Herr Meningen revokes his ungentlemanly words. Furthermore, you do not actually have the power to fire me, as per the act passed by the Assembly.

~ Friedrich von Hohenstaufen, Chief of the General Staff

I apologize for calling you a coward. However, I disagree with your decision not to send troops to Africa to spread the doctrine of liberation.

-the Liberator

((I personally like all the silliness. Keeps things interesting. Being too serious all the time is boring. :p I admit we went a bit overboard with the flag thing, but we can move on now.))

I apologize for calling you a coward. However, I disagree with your decision not to send troops to Africa to spread the doctrine of liberation.

-the Liberator

Thank you, Herr Meningen.

((Sorry to lose you, Somberg.))

I'm going to address something that was PMed to me. Normally I don't respond to private communications in-thread, but this is something that I think warrants a response from me.

One of you wrote to me with an ultimatum, threatening to leave the AAR and take several individuals with you, if I did not stop the "silliness" (or "idiocy" is, I believe, the specific term used.)

My response is: feel free to leave. Nobody is forcing you to stay against your will. I understand that other iAARs are more "serious" than this one. You are welcome to join them. An interactive AAR is nothing without the support of its players, and I will remind you that the latest flag initiative, which appears to have been the "breaking point" for some of you, passed with a majority in both houses. If you don't like a policy, vote against it and encourage others to do so -- that's your right as a participant. However, don't spam the thread complaining about a decision a majority of your fellow players favored. You can either work to repeal whatever you find "silly" or "idiotic" or learn to accept it.

Of course, if you believe something is violating forum rules or is insulting to other players, by all means message me.

If you have suggestions for how to make the AAR better or more fun, I'm always open to feedback or new ideas, but I'm not going to implement a (highly subjective, I might add) ban on anything too "silly." That way lies madness, and I'd rather end the AAR than be forced to police it to that extent.

Now, I'm going to play out the rest of 1865 shortly and write the update sometime this evening, so we can move forward and get past this.

Thank you for your attention, and for being a player in the AAR!

((TBH all these people leaving in protest of the flag law are actually making it harder to get what they want, a repeal of the flag law.))

The Flag Restoration Bill

1. The current flag of Germany shall be replaced with the previous flag.
2. Any copies of the current flag shall be considered discarded.
3. Any persons currently under arrest or convicted due to anti-flag activites shall be given amnesty.
Hopefully this shall end all strife.
-Minister von Spinoza

1865: Domestic disturbances and increasing isolation

The abrupt resignation and unexplained disappearance of the Chancellor, Hugo Unger, forced a dramatic reshuffling of the Republic of Germany. Thanks to the initiative of a young Colonel, Helmuth von Moltke, the very way Germans waged war was changed forever.

GHu3RN.jpg

Moltke was supported by the new Minister of War, Albrecht von Spinoza, and the first permanent Chief of the General Staff was appointed. Friedrich von Hohenstaufen had served with distinction as a Chief of the Naval General Staff, making him an excellent choice to continue the fine military tradition of Germany. He was also close friends with the interim Chancellor, Michael von Hohenzollern, which ensured an excellent working relationship. However, within Germany, the controversial new flag of the Republic provoked serious discontent. Michael had never formally voted on the flag issue, after all, and there were concerns that he would not defend the new flag with the same intensity as the old flag. Some groups saw the scion of the House of Hohenzollern's rise to power as an argument for the restoration of Empire, and a group of Jacobins led the charge to march on Germany's capital and seize control. They were neither very large or very well armed, however, and the armies of the Republic triumphed.

yUiVO1.jpg

Foreign Minister Otto von Bismarck's policy of attempting to isolate Poland and the British Empire also provoked some dissatisfaction, particularly the signing of alliances with Ethiopia and Ak Koyunlu. Transylvania, concerned that Germany had drifted too far from European affairs, distanced themselves from the new regime and dissolved their alliance, citing the alliance with Ethiopia as the major breaking point. [1] Terms remained very good between the two countries, however, even if they were no longer formally friends.

lK0kbT.jpg

The alliance with Ethiopia was immediately tested as they requested aid against Benin. Germany responded favorably, and her fleet went to blockade the capital of Lagos. The Minister of War and Chief of Staff jointly issued a statement saying that German soldiers would not leave German soil; this was Ethiopia's fight, and Ethiopia would be responsible for capturing her own territory. The interim Chancellor used his executive authority to ensure that the necessary supplies reached their destination. [2] However, a new doctrine of Strategic Mobility was put in place to ensure an emphasis on being able to move quickly through enemy territory, which might be necessary if direct intervention in Africa was required.

yx6a5C.jpg

Germany's preoccupation in the affairs of Africa allowed the Imperialists in the British Empire to gain a moral victory, formally proclaiming "An Era of Imperialism and Nationalism" and the spreading of the British people to all corners of the Earth. Some of Germany's Imperialists, offended by the fact that any country but Germany could even comprehend such a mission, led their own rebellion against the authority of Chancellor Hohenzollern, which was also defeated.

RimsBX.jpg

jSGgX1.jpg

With both liberal and reactionaries raising armies and being defeated, a group of Italian nationalists rose up themselves, demanding that if Germany could not even control its own domestic affairs, that Italy be restored to the map and allowed to go her own way. Germany had a surprising ally in this fight: France. Franco-German relations had warmed up recently, with the signing of an agreement between the two countries to allow French forces to be supported in German territory if they fought against the British, and the French in turn supported Germany against her internal enemies. [3]

RlB1sw.jpg

bhXpOZ.jpg

Something even more unexpected happened in Africa; Benin signed their own treaty with the British Empire and attempted to strike at German Liberia. Remembering his orders, 4th Army Commander Hermann von Baden engaged the enemy, but only in defense of Germans and German interests, even telling the defeated soldiers of Benin that they could return home if they did not reenter the war effort.

mJW1ar.jpg

ZvvHUY.jpg

As 1865 drew to a close, things looked very good for Germany and Ethiopia. The invasion of Liberia was being repulsed, and Ethiopia had no problem capturing the territory they had always wanted in Eritrea.

q41MIP.jpg

Nb2SII.jpg

Even though the Lombard rebellion was easily repulsed, the events in Italy had stirred up sympathy for Italian independence, and the rest of the Great Powers were convening a conference to consider support for Italy.

L3llJ9.jpg

With the election of 1867 rapidly approaching, many questions about Germany's future remained unanswered.

[1] I don't actually know why Transylvania broke the alliance, but I'm pretty sure they've jumped back into the GPs. That would make the most sense.
[2] I bumped up war and naval spending to 100%.
[3] France and the UK just fought a war over New Zealand and France wanted to use our territory to get back to France.

Your maps, PTSnoop:

kRITuc.jpg

L9iaBo.jpg

And the state of our present finances:

Hu8NNt.jpg

We've been stockpiling RPs; banana84, please give me at least three techs in each plan to make sure we keep moving forward.

Herren,

We have several concerns to discuss in the meetings for 1866. First is Herr von Spinoza's proposal.

The Flag Restoration Bill

1. The current flag of Germany shall be replaced with the previous flag.
2. Any copies of the current flag shall be considered discarded.
3. Any persons currently under arrest or convicted due to anti-flag activites shall be given amnesty.

Second is a proposal from the Chancellor:

The Defense of Germany Act

If a state of legally declared war exists between Germany and one or more enemies, the army and navy will immediately be fully funded, regardless of cost, until the next annual meeting of the Reichstag or the end of the war, whichever comes first.

Third, we have the possibility to enact Social Reforms. ((The only one we presently have is Basic Schools.)) The people of Germany seem most interested in the following:

ACPwDC.jpg

Please do not vote on anything at present. People may submit new proposals for the ballot for the next 48 hours.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court